Improving festival tents

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
tdurkan

Improving festival tents

Postby tdurkan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:15 pm

:confusion-helpsos: Hey guys I would like your help,

I am a Product Design student at Brunel University, I am looking into the problems with existing festival tents, in particular how people leave them behind after the festival. I would love to hear from you, this is a quick survey about how people use existing tents, shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W77PLYB

:bow-yellow: Thank you for your help, feel free to comment with anything that bugs you about the tents out there now.

ThornDavis

Re: Improving festival tents

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:19 pm

I did your survey, although there seemed to be a couple of options missing. There was a question like 'how many other people share your tent' and it went straight from 'just me' to '2', whereas for me the answer is that one other person shares my tent; guessing that's just an issue with the way the q was phrased. More fundamental seemed to be that 'size / space' was missing from the "what's most important to you when buying a tent". Both times I've upgraded my tent it's because I wanted more room - I imagine it's a major consideration for a lot of other people, too.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:37 am

I have also filled in your survey, however i did not answer the "how much do you pay for your tent" question as I have never purchased a single festival tent. I either use a 30 year old mountain tent i inherited from scouting. Or we repair and use tents which we have obtained after they are left by other festival goers.

I imagine quite a few others have never paid for a tent so might be worth an option.

General tents bugs:
Carbon Poles are generally gooseberry, flexlite aluminium is a much better option and less likely to break. Also if it does break then its usually easier to repair with duct tape on site.
Inner Pitch First and fixed inners are horrendous (all in one pitching with removable inners only please).
Aluminium pegs are never up to the task, the tri-star guy pegs which vango have used since 2010ish are pretty sturdy due to the shape of them, the standard pegs however are just to weak like all aluminium pegs. Unless weight is a key issue then I swap all my pegs for 8" steel rockpegs as they do not bend, and you can smash them in with anything to hand.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:39 am

Rick wrote:Or we repair and use tents which we have obtained after they are left by other festival goers.

This is a really good system, although I find that you have to get in quite early or the best tents end up being nabbed by someone else. The first year I did it, I left it right till midday, and the only tents that hadn't been bagged by people doing the same thing were crappy popups filled with empty beer cans and used barbeques. This year I went round a day earlier and it made all the difference in the world - people had abandoned some really excellent, expensive tents, and instead of being filled with rubbish, they'd been abandoned with like, airbeds, fresh food, and sometimes sleeping wives and girlfriends.

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:31 pm

ThornDavis wrote:
Rick wrote:Or we repair and use tents which we have obtained after they are left by other festival goers.

This is a really good system, although I find that you have to get in quite early or the best tents end up being nabbed by someone else. The first year I did it, I left it right till midday, and the only tents that hadn't been bagged by people doing the same thing were crappy popups filled with empty beer cans and used barbeques. This year I went round a day earlier and it made all the difference in the world - people had abandoned some really excellent, expensive tents, and instead of being filled with rubbish, they'd been abandoned with like, airbeds, fresh food, and sometimes sleeping wives and girlfriends.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gnarkill

Postby Gnarkill » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:12 pm

At this years soni a guy gave me a great tent with one of those clam beds, basically brand new with instructions all because mine was so gooseberry!

Xale

Postby Xale » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:04 pm

Gnarkill wrote:At this years soni a guy gave me a great tent with one of those clam beds, basically brand new with instructions all because mine was so gooseberry!

I googled "clam bed" 'cause I didn't know what you meant. This came up:
Probably NSFW and definitely disturbing | Show

I don't even want to know where the guy got one of those, nevermind that he felt the need to give out instructions on how to use it :?

Gnarkill

Postby Gnarkill » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:50 pm

I meant clamp bed :lol: :lol: :oops:

tdurkan

Postby tdurkan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Some great feedback (and disturbing deer pictures) Sorry about the questions that were not clear enough or didn't take into account more options. Do you scavenge tents after you have been to the festival and leave your own? Or do you take both?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3ZFYXRT

That is a short follow up survey on what features you would want the perfect festival tent to have. You do not have to have done the first one to do it though.

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”