The 2014 Rant Thread

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
hash pipe

Re: The 2014 Rant Thread

Postby hash pipe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:11 pm

Moving the merch and food stalls out of the middle would help with bottle necks meaning they could make the platforms bigger /have one a bit further back.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Is there an aerial view of the 2014 arena?

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Is the only thing I can find, you can see the bottle neck created between the merch/food stuffs and the platform on that side at least. Removing the merch/food stalls from that area or putting less there and therefore shortening it would remove said bottle neck and allow bigger platforms, even if only slightly.

EDIT: Image

Thats from 2011, while the platforms/merch stuffs is further back the positions relative to each other were seemingly the same, so the bottle neck is still visible.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Hmmm - swdjosehifl[osdkjf

red death

Postby red death » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:18 am

metalicbear wrote:My problem with Red death, is the unconstructive critisicm. There wouldn't be an issue if he/she actually explained the rant and gave a solution to the problems instead of just seemingly attacking the festival.

Saying campervans are shaftet by all festivals doesn't really give Sonisphere much to go on, likewise saying there's a problem with the sound without explaining what the issue is isn't exactly helpful is it.

Yawn...perhaps if you had read my complete point about campers you would understand ie that I was replying to someone else's point about the campers always being in the same spot at Soni (they weren't) and agreeing with them that camper owners get shafted for camper tickets for little benefit.

If you don't get it that's your problem...
Trivium 2/2, Me First & the Gimme Gimmes 28/2
Tragedy 23/3, FFDP 30/3
(Devildriver) + Sylosis + Bleed from Within 4/4
Suicide Silence 27/6
Sonisphere 3-6/7
Machinehead 4/8, The Hives 21/8
Rise Against 10/11, Volbeat 17/11
Kreator 18/12

The Angry Koala

Postby The Angry Koala » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 am

Ok so we're on 12 pages of rant thread and it seems to me that a large number of issues appear to come down to one thing - the decision to move Apollo forward 50-100 metres (based on photgraphic evidence from previous years).

Yes, it made it appear busier and this will look good on the "look how crowded Soni was" marketing pictures, but it obviously caused problems.

Problem: Toilets at the top of the arena - massive queues, never cleaned/emptied, etc, etc.
Cause: Not enough of them due to lack of space caused by moving Apollo forward.

Problem: The river of urine/water across the Rock Royalty entrance.
Cause: Toilets and water point positioned too close to the entrance due to a lack of space caused by moving Apollo forward.

Problem: Disabled viewing platforms not big enough/soundwash from Apollo soundchecks while Saturn stage playing.
Cause: necessary location of said platforms due to a lack of space caused by moving Apollo forward.

Problem: Bottleneck around disabled viewing platforms/merch stalls.
Cause: disabled viewing platforms badly sited too close to sound tower and merch stalls due to a lack of space caused by moving Apollo forward.

Problem: The view at Apollo in general for short-arses like me, particularly with the spectacularly stupid idea of having see-through screens on Sunday. With Apollo in its 2011 position almost the entire crowd would have been on the downslope towards the stage or on the ridge itself therefore providing everyone with a decent view. As it was, a large portion of the crowd was actually beyond the ridge that runs across the arena and therefore on the down slope off the back of it.
It's difficult enough seeing over 6 foot plus people without them standing on ground 2 ft higher than you to start with.
Cause: All due to a lack of space caused by moving Apollo forward.

Constructive idea (especially for metallicbear) for 2015: put Apollo back where it was and re-arrange the arena facilities including the disabled viewing platforms please.

Constructive idea number 2 for 2015: karaoke should go on much longer in Bohemia Bar each night after the stages have finished. Utterly hilarious and one of the highlights of the weekend.

Constructive idea for the forums: bit less negativity and arguing amongst ourselves? Surely what we all want is a Sonisphere festival that we can ALL enjoy and that is well run by a team who listen to genuine concerns and respond to those concerns with either a) decisive actions or b) a request for suggestions on how to improve.

One of the biggest draws with Soni for me is the atmosphere. I find it one of the friendliest festivals around and it continually astounds me that the forums can, at times, be at completely the opposite end of the spectrum.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 am

The Angry Koala wrote:Constructive idea for the forums: bit less negativity and arguing amongst ourselves?

Pigs will fly mate. Everything you suggested is totally plausible apart from this.

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:44 am

Surely internet forums are intended for negativity and arguments. Imagine how tedious it would be if everyone just got on with each other.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
The Angry Koala wrote:Constructive idea for the forums: bit less negativity and arguing amongst ourselves?

Pigs will fly mate. Everything you suggested is totally plausible apart from this.

Good news for me then!
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

The Angry Koala

Postby The Angry Koala » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:34 pm

CherryInHove wrote:Surely internet forums are intended for negativity and arguments. Imagine how tedious it would be if everyone just got on with each other.

Surely internet forums are intended for people who share a common interest to discuss that interest?

Obviously people will have different opinions and it would indeed be boring if we all agreed about everything.

However, I don't think it's overly idealistic to expect members of a specific forum to be people who, in the case of a festival, do agree that it is something they actually like and enjoy attending?

Some people (this is NOT aimed at you Cherry) on these forums come across as disliking Sonisphere and the organisers SO much, that I'm left scratching my head as to why anyone who felt like that would waste their time coming on and posting in the first place. I'm not talking about comments made in this thread either - I'm referring to comments made in some cases months prior to the festival.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way. When I've asked people at festivals and gigs if they're on the Soni forums, I've actually had more than one say they can't be arsed as "It's the most negative and pessimistic forum they've ever come across".

Surely you'd agree that our forums shouldn't come across like that?

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Honestly I love my negative moany forum friends and my life would be entirely different without them. It is definitely one of the friendliest music forums I've ever joined. Yes the forums are sarcastic and things get heated, but most are reasonable people at the end of the day.

I find that the size of the forum community is what limits us, there aren't enough of us on here to debate multiple viewpoints, it is usually one forum member arguing a point with another, rather than a general diluted coversation with multiple viewpoints. I think this is why disagreements often seem to come off a litle bit more personal and aggressive. If people don't like how negative the forums are, they should contribute to making it a friendlier and more positive place, since moaning about forums being negative dost a hypocrite make :P
maschera wrote:Image Look. It's minx as a mermaid.

Apparently Camp Moocrab's resident Irish girl / mermaid Image

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:59 pm

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:25 pm

The Angry Koala wrote: When I've asked people at festivals and gigs if they're on the Soni forums, I've actually had more than one say they can't be arsed as "It's the most negative and pessimistic forum they've ever come across".

Surely you'd agree that our forums shouldn't come across like that?

To be honest, if this is the most negative and pessimistic forum they've come across, I suspect they have not ventured very far into forums. But, no I wouldn't want that to be the way people perceive it and as Lola points out, if we had more people then it would come across as more of a discussion than two people with opposing viewpoints shouting at each other.

The Angry Koala

Postby The Angry Koala » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 pm

I totally accept that the forum is limited by its low numbers and that multiple threads can end up with just a two-way argument.

Whilst my post may have appeared hypocritical, that was not my intention. I was actually trying to encourage some more positivity and acceptance of others' opinions.

In terms of being constructive, perhaps an "Ideas for future improvements" thread might be good to run alongside the rant thread in order to try to draw out positive solutions to complaints?

If Zac or others involved in the organisation of the festival read this and some of the forum's ideas are implemented, this would in turn serve to give people more of a sense of ownership of the the festival and their future experience of it. I'm sure Sonisphere (like any business) will rely on engagement with customers, feedback and suggestions in order to improve and would hope they would welcome the input.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:11 pm

As promoters have always said - there's a few dozen active people on here. There's tens of thousands of people out there.

Whilst this is a good forum (PUN!!!) to start from, it shouldn't be the be all and end all

I dont know what I am typing anymore - Is=pdkfsladkjfldskjflsdkjf

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:31 pm

I think if people saw the forums as being a way of having a direct line to the way the festival is developed, then maybe they would get more involved? Maybe there should be a fan forum again, that would be a good idea.
maschera wrote:Image Look. It's minx as a mermaid.

Apparently Camp Moocrab's resident Irish girl / mermaid Image

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:20 pm

It cost them more than it was worth due to the free bar ;-)

redhed

Postby redhed » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:00 pm

rockgeek wrote: I too would prefer an approach beyond just ranting.

You both need to go to another thread then. This is called the rant thread. It's for ranting. For people who don't like ranting, you're both spending a lot of time posting in here.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:43 pm

1: I like ranting
2: Does this mean the post you just created doesn't belong here?
3: We're entitled to post here if we want and try and seek clarity or a resolution - if you're not interested in that, don't participate in the conversation!

zebby

Postby zebby » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:36 pm

The Angry Koala wrote:Ok so we're on 12 pages of rant thread and it seems to me that a large number of issues appear to come down to one thing - the decision to move Apollo forward 50-100 metres (based on photgraphic evidence from previous years).

Yes, it made it appear busier and this will look good on the "look how crowded Soni was" marketing pictures, but it obviously caused problems.

Problem: Toilets at the top of the arena - massive queues, never cleaned/emptied, etc, etc.

Cause: Toilets and water point positioned too close to the entrance due to a lack of space caused by moving Apollo forward.

Problem: Disabled viewing platforms not big enough/soundwash from Apollo soundchecks while Saturn stage playing.
Cause: necessary location of said platforms due to a lack of space caused by moving Apollo forward.

Cause: disabled viewing platforms badly sited too close to sound tower and merch stalls due to a lack of space caused by moving Apollo forward.

Problem: The view at Apollo in general for short-arses like me, particularly with the spectacularly stupid idea of having see-through screens on Sunday. With Apollo in its 2011 position almost the entire crowd would have been on the downslope towards the stage or on the ridge itself therefore providing everyone with a decent view. As it was, a large portion of the crowd was actually beyond the ridge that runs across the arena and therefore on the down slope off the back of it.
It's difficult enough seeing over 6 foot plus people without them standing on ground 2 ft higher than you to start with.

Constructive idea (especially for metallicbear) for 2015: put Apollo back where it was and re-arrange the arena facilities including the disabled viewing platforms please.

Constructive idea number 2 for 2015: karaoke should go on much longer in Bohemia Bar each night after the stages have finished. Utterly hilarious and one of the highlights of the weekend.

Constructive idea for the forums: bit less negativity and arguing amongst ourselves? Surely what we all want is a Sonisphere festival that we can ALL enjoy and that is well run by a team who listen to genuine concerns and respond to those concerns with either a) decisive actions or b) a request for suggestions on how to improve.

One of the biggest draws with Soni for me is the atmosphere. I find it one of the friendliest festivals around and it continually astounds me that the forums can, at times, be at completely the opposite end of the spectrum.

Agreed
A kid once said to me “Do you get hangovers?” I said, “To get hangovers you have to stop drinking.

Lemmy

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Forums, no matter where, will always be like that as it'll attract everyone from opposite sides of the spectrum

An argument can sometimes clear the air or we get to find out the real "person" behind an online identity

Kili are busy so can't afford that much time to the forums and then there's us admin and mods who all are busy with families and jobs (boo hoo hoo right?) and me personally, 99.99% of my posts are me and my thoughts and nothing to

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:34 am

rockgeek wrote:As promoters have always said - there's a few dozen active people on here. There's tens of thousands of people out there.

Whilst this is a good forum (PUN!!!) to start from, it shouldn't be the be all and end all

I dont know what I am typing anymore - Is=pdkfsladkjfldskjflsdkjf

Maybe RG but we are the important ones! :roll:

houston404

Postby houston404 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16 am

rockgeek wrote:Forums, no matter where, will always be like that as it'll attract everyone from opposite sides of the spectrum

An argument can sometimes clear the air or we get to find out the real "person" behind an online identity

Kili are busy so can't afford that much time to the forums and then there's us admin and mods who all are busy with families and jobs (boo hoo hoo right?) and me personally, 99.99% of my posts are me and my thoughts and nothing to

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes, but if you piss off or ignore your more loyal fan base it's not exactly going to reflect on the wider audience well is it? Better to have a constructive rant thread where opinions can be swapped than people throwing around baseless accusations because it seems like a "us and them" situation.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm

???

diggerboot

Postby diggerboot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:01 pm

The Angry Koala wrote:Ok so we're on 12 pages of rant thread and it seems to me that a large number of issues appear to come down to one thing - the decision to move Apollo forward 50-100 metres (based on photgraphic evidence from previous years).

Have to say I agree with Angry Koala (generally) [damn this isnt turning into a rant so perhaps I should start another thread ... oh gooseberry it, cant be arsed .. .] The fact is that the only things I could moan about was the logjam around Apollo , I must admit it hadnt struck me that they moved Apollo forward , obvious when I think about previous years. But I have to say I enjoyed this year far more than 2011 , to me (although Sunday was my favourite) every day had a good diverse selection of bands I wanted to see (much as 2010). This was the first year I'd arrived on the Thursday , previous ones were Saturday, Friday and Friday, bar some minor entertainment that was on(and I must agree the karaoke was often bloody hilarious and well worth having_) the only other minor gripe I had was there wasnt much to do on the Thursday Night , I appreciate it adds to the already phenomenal amount of organisation but couldnt they do something like Bloodstock have with a few smaller bands playing sets on the Thursday night?

Oh and this is probably the most bicker free forum on the web and that includes non music forums..

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”