The 2014 Rant Thread

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
metalicbear

Re: The 2014 Rant Thread

Postby metalicbear » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:26 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:
If regular camping isn't full but disabled camping is, keeping disabled tickets on sale would only cause problems.

Camping fields can be adjusted to make them larger or smaller depending on ticket sales.
FMC Code - 1k949287

SquirelPie

Postby SquirelPie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 pm

THE TOILETS!!

There were too few toilets in the campsite area and in the main arena. You need twice as many for main arena/2nd stage area. The queue was a half hour wait and when the stages are alternating, you miss the bands! Also, the urinals were overflowing on day 2. They MUST be emptied, it's not hygienic having piss flowing across the arena.

CUP RECYCLING

It's great that you have 2 recycling points and are open until after the headliner has played, but what is not good is that the staff are counting the cups. This is very time consuming. Download have a pole with marks on it for every 10 cups. That gives fast, efficient service. The bar manager at the main arena station was checking the bottoms of nearly every cup handed in and if it was creased, she discarded it and said it wasn't eligible. Was she not told it is the TOP rim that has to be intact!!!!!!!! Also, you only pay out in multiple of a pound, so WHY was the till stocked up with 50p, 20p and 10p coins? You only needed £1 coins! It made it very heavy to carry.

CAMPERVAN CAMPING

We paid extra to camp in campervan site, only to find it was further away that the main camping! We had no more facilities, so why were we charged extra??? Also, each pitch is the same size, so why not allow caravans or trailertents?

Rant over. Apart from those three things, festival was awesome and I had a great time

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:13 pm

SquirelPie wrote:It's great that you have 2 recycling points and are open until after the headliner has played, but what is not good is that the staff are counting the cups. This is very time consuming. Download have a pole with marks on it for every 10 cups. That gives fast, efficient service.

Download is twice the size of Sonisphere and as such can afford luxuries such as a pole. Where is Sonisphere going to find the money for a pole? If they put up the price of the ticket just to cover the price of a pole for the cup collecting point, people would still complain. Besides, what if the festival sold out? The extra space that a pole would take up could be given over to allowing more people into the arena. There is no pleasing you lot - you cup collectors, who already get luxuries such as extra money for collecting cups, and still complain. How is someone throwing away your cups and saying they 'didn't count' any different to the experience of festival goers who didn't collect any cups and didn't get any money for the cups the cups they didn't collect? Besides, I saw someone down the front of the bar paying for drinks with money he earned from his non-cup collecting job. If he can do that why can't everyone else?

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:48 pm

SquirelPie wrote:CUP RECYCLING

CAMPERVAN CAMPING

Cups - personally I can't take this point seriously!

Caravans - you have to pay extra for them at most festivals. A caravan tends to need a car to move it around - where do you put the car afterwards? Pay for parking for that as well?

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:18 pm

SquirelPie wrote:CAMPERVAN CAMPING
We paid extra to camp in campervan site, only to find it was further away that the main camping! We had no more facilities, so why were we charged extra??? Also, each pitch is the same size, so why not allow caravans or trailertents?

Caravans are not allowed at many large festivals (that I'm aware of) - there can be major problems if the ground is really wet or soggy and they simply take longer to organise. As has been mentioned, you also need a vehicle to tow the caravan which you won't have room for in the camping area. The caravans can churn the ground up even more. Also, some people may decide to live on the site afterwards and their human rights lawyer might be able to keep them there for some time. Not ideal if you want to empty the site by end of play Monday.
Campervan parking has always been in the same spot. Someone would have told you where it was if you had asked.

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:39 pm

ThornDavis wrote:
SquirelPie wrote:It's great that you have 2 recycling points and are open until after the headliner has played, but what is not good is that the staff are counting the cups. This is very time consuming. Download have a pole with marks on it for every 10 cups. That gives fast, efficient service.

Download is twice the size of Sonisphere and as such can afford luxuries such as a pole. Where is Sonisphere going to find the money for a pole? If they put up the price of the ticket just to cover the price of a pole for the cup collecting point, people would still complain. Besides, what if the festival sold out? The extra space that a pole would take up could be given over to allowing more people into the arena. There is no pleasing you lot - you cup collectors, who already get luxuries such as extra money for collecting cups, and still complain. How is someone throwing away your cups and saying they 'didn't count' any different to the experience of festival goers who didn't collect any cups and didn't get any money for the cups the cups they didn't collect? Besides, I saw someone down the front of the bar paying for drinks with money he earned from his non-cup collecting job. If he can do that why can't everyone else?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure there will ever be a better post on these forums.

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:11 pm

I can't believe people are arguing against helping disabled people, crickey :lol:
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:57 pm

No one is arguing against helping disabled people more than arguing against helping non-disabled people (I hope/think). Whatever is done needs to be fair to everyone.

The point, I hope that's being made, is what exactly can be done that wouldn't have a negative effect on non-disabled ticket holders and whether things were as bad as they're actually making out. For example, from the few people I spoke to who stayed in disabled camping, it was spot on.

redhed

Postby redhed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:21 pm

rockgeek wrote: For example, from the few people I spoke to who stayed in disabled camping, it was spot on.

Rubbish. You really went up to disabled people to find out their opinion on the facilities? No. Everyone we spoke to was disappointed (which was a lot of people, as we chatted to people camping near us, people on the platforms with us, people we know from other festivals, etc), and everyone felt the facilities were crappy. I can only imagine how 'vocal' you'd be if you had to use them though!
The fact is, festivals have to provide disabled facilities. This is a rant thread, not a constructive criticism thread. It doesn't matter whether they change anything or not, or whether anyone comes up with a criticism proof solution (although with this crowd, that's impossible anyway); we were annoyed with the facilities, my other half missed a lot of bands he really wanted to see. = Rant. No solutions required. If it does lead to things being improved, brilliant. If not, we probably won't come again, unless the line up is incredible, and can't be seen elsewhere.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 pm

I think it's better to be constructive though - I get your point but constructive feedback might make improvements so if you do come back for whatever reason it is better, which is surely a better situation? Maybe not necessarily the purpose of this topic but im sure it'd be better for the organisers and future goers :)

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:50 pm

redhed wrote:
rockgeek wrote: For example, from the few people I spoke to who stayed in disabled camping, it was spot on.

Rubbish. You really went up to disabled people to find out their opinion on the facilities? No.

Not rubbish. We had friends stating there and had feedback on my site. Hope that's good enough.

Kip summed it up nicely. A rant thread is useless if we don't try and make it better next year otherwise its toys out the pram time.

Syxxpackid420

Postby Syxxpackid420 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:38 pm

People that crowdsurf in wheelchairs are the only acceptable disableds to be there. Everyone else should be band.

Syxxpackid420

Postby Syxxpackid420 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:39 pm

metalicbear wrote:
PurpleDemon wrote:.

fields can be adjusted to make them larger or smaller depending on ticket sales.

No, they can't

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:14 am

What he meant to say was that fields can be reduced/closed or opened up depending on ticket sales, like Download and Soni both did this year and Reading has been doing over the last 10 years

JJ

Xale

Postby Xale » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Syxxpackid420 wrote:Everyone else should be band.

That's a good idea, actually. They'll definitely get a good view of the stage then.

red death

Postby red death » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:50 pm

CC Deville wrote:Campervan parking has always been in the same spot. Someone would have told you where it was if you had asked.

Errr, no it hasn't - at the first Soni campervan parking was much closer to the arena (where one of the VIP camps is now IIRC). It was then moved. But I get your point that Campervans are shafted by all festivals...

rockgeek wrote:Whatever is done needs to be fair to everyone.

The point, I hope that's being made, is what exactly can be done that wouldn't have a negative effect on non-disabled ticket holders and whether things were as bad as they're actually making out. For example, from the few people I spoke to who stayed in disabled camping, it was spot on.

While you are right that perspective and proportionality is important, I don't see how anyone disabled or non-disabled can seriously argue that the current setup is in anyway fair for disabled folk. Even if there was enough space in disabled camping and on the platform etc, you still don't address the issue of sound on the 2 stages...
Trivium 2/2, Me First & the Gimme Gimmes 28/2
Tragedy 23/3, FFDP 30/3
(Devildriver) + Sylosis + Bleed from Within 4/4
Suicide Silence 27/6
Sonisphere 3-6/7
Machinehead 4/8, The Hives 21/8
Rise Against 10/11, Volbeat 17/11
Kreator 18/12

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:08 pm

Bottlenecks - where else would you have liked the platform to be positioned that would have not caused a bottleneck any worse than was there? If it was closer to one stage then the argument would open for another one towards the other stage which just won't happen unless Kili can physically do it without impairing everything else

Kili don't do things just to annoy everyone! Maybe they made a genuine mistake with something or have a perfectly reasonable explanation behind it but one thing is for sure, they don't sit around a table planning the demise of festival goers.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:49 pm

red death wrote:Campervans are shafted by all festivals...

I don't see how anyone disabled or non-disabled can seriously argue that the current setup is in anyway fair for disabled folk.

you still don't address the issue of sound on the 2 stages...

I'm sure you're moaning for the sake of frakking moaning now and it's getting extremely boring.
FMC Code - 1k949287

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:53 pm

OMG, just stop. People who had to use the disabled parts of the festival are making complaints about it that they are absolutely within their rights to make and it is very important for them to be aired.

You are just saying "No, I had a look and it was fine, you're whining about nothing". You have absolutely no idea what it was like for them and you look like an total and utter callous fucktard.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:14 pm

CherryInHove wrote: you look like an total and utter callous fucktard.

The only person who's coming across as rude and aggressive in this thread is you.

My problem with Red death, is the unconstructive critisicm. There wouldn't be an issue if he/she actually explained the rant and gave a solution to the problems instead of just seemingly attacking the festival.

Saying campervans are shaftet by all festivals doesn't really give Sonisphere much to go on, likewise saying there's a problem with the sound without explaining what the issue is isn't exactly helpful is it.
FMC Code - 1k949287

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:20 pm

This is a thread for people to rant about problems they had with Sonisphere, that is exactly what is being done.

There are lots of complaints about the sound on the platform and being unable to hear both bands. I don't see that it is the responsibility of the festival goers to come up with a solution, they are just highlighting what issues there were and hopefully people who organise Sonisphere will look at these and thing "Ah, we can fix this by doing X and Y" or "There is no way we can fix that" or something, but I really don't think it is down to us as mere fee paying punters to sort out the logistics of a festival.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:28 pm

This is basic GCSE stuff. Make a point, explain the point, evaluate. Sonisphere then go away and try to fix the points. Ranting for the sake of having a pop at Sonisphere isn't helpful and will not get things sorted.

If it was my business and people were calling other people fucktards, ranting and crying woe is me, I wouldn't bother my arse to fix issues. If they wrote a sensible post saying something like "there's a river of piss flowing through the arena", "do you think you can get the urinals emptied halfway through the weekend or put some cardboard/flooring down", I would make sure it's done.

There see, not really that hard to understand is it, you managed to do it in the earlier pages, before Red Death got on his high-horse.
FMC Code - 1k949287

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 pm

You should probably go into the "Bands you want to see at Sonisphere" thread and tell people they're being no use as they're literally just listing bands that they want to see at Sonisphere.

They're not putting agent contact details for the bands. They're not putting the prices the band will charge to play, they're not checking each bands schedules to make sure they're not available. I mean, what on earth is the point of them posting if they're not going to put in a little amount of work?

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 pm

I do think it would be nice if there was a thread dedicated to problems with disabled camping and the disabled experience in general.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:47 pm

CherryInHove wrote:You should probably go into the "Bands you want to see at Sonisphere" thread and tell people they're being no use as they're literally just listing bands that they want to see at Sonisphere.

They're not putting agent contact details for the bands. They're not putting the prices the band will charge to play, they're not checking each bands schedules to make sure they're not available. I mean, what on earth is the point of them posting if they're not going to put in a little amount of work?
That's silly though isn't it?

I too would prefer an approach beyond just ranting. If someone has a rant and then another person highlights where they could be wrong or whatever then it might help that person, or more, to be more level headed about it

Likewise it might educate the person trying to right a wrong. All threads on here are discussions and not just one way

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”