The 2014 Rant Thread

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
lanky spastic

The 2014 Rant Thread

Postby lanky spastic » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:44 pm

So I figure if anything annoying happened over the weekend, we can leave it here and forget about it forever :D

Metallica... not the band themselves. Best i've seen them since Wembley in 2007, plus they played a few songs I wasn't expecting. (I voted for By Request then stayed away from it... Hate knowing setlists before a band plays unless it's "playing this album" etc)

That said, I was a the front, having an absolute blast, and I feel a hand in my pocket, let it slide because everyone was being battered around, but I kept feeling this hand in my pocket. After the fourth time or so I turned to the guy and asked him what the frakk he was playing at, he then turned around, made me out to be in the wrong, and a load of other guys then proceeded to make me out to be in the wrong too, (this happened at the end of Sanitarium) so I spent the next hour or so of Metallica's set up until they went off after Sandman pissed off, feeling tiny and angry to the point of near tears.
Without going in to details or going for a sob story, i've not had a very good time of things over the last year and a half or so, and for the first time in a while I was legitimately ecstatic, only to have some pickpocketing c*** ruin it all. I eventually got sick of this guy giving me shitty looks, pulling stupid faces and generally acting like a child, and got out of the crowd, towards the back and stood with my girlfriend. At which point 'Tallica started playing Justice, the song I had voted for multiple times thanks to it being one of, if not my very favourite Metallica song ever. At that point I just lost my gooseberry and near enough broke in to tears.

Metallica were incredible, my night was not.

*Back to happy mode*
OI, thats MY bed of nails!

King_Walnut

Re: The 2014 Rant Thread

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:51 pm

The Smoked Salmon stall had a 11 year old kid taking money at the till way beyond midnight, this is against the law. He also charged me £2.50 for a bottle of water when they should have been £2. I saw another young kid working at the fairground well into the early hours too. All illegal. I'd make a post about it but Zac would take it personally and Rockgeek would tell me I'm wrong. So there we go.

Other than that, the festival was phenomenal as always.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:59 pm

The fairground rides should have been instructed to shut down or at least turn off their awful music when the dogfight was going on. When you could hear the engine roars it sounded incredible but half the time it was a recorded voice telling you to buy tokens.

The toilets - It seemed remarkably unfair that men get urinals (and fences) for pissing on which girls obviously don't, and then on top of that, there were cubicles inside the urinal area that could have been facing outwards so that they could be used by either gender.

glassmoon

Postby glassmoon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Anyone else get kind of frustrated with what happened Sunday morning? Turned up really early for Gojira to get a good spot, and after waiting about an hour since people were still pissing around with the stage they took down that barrier at one end and people immediately run in... gooseberry happens and maybe the stage issue was nobody's fault in particular but surely such a huge delay deserves some kind of acknowledgement at least? The announcer who spoke after Gojira finished didn't even mention it...

Also what was the idea behind making the Apollo stage screens translucent... in the middle of the day... we had to give up with Mastodon because it was so frustrating

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:06 pm

lanky spastic wrote:So I figure if anything annoying happened over the weekend, we can leave it here and forget about it forever :D

Metallica... not the band themselves. Best i've seen them since Wembley in 2007, plus they played a few songs I wasn't expecting. (I voted for By Request then stayed away from it... Hate knowing setlists before a band plays unless it's "playing this album" etc)

That said, I was a the front, having an absolute blast, and I feel a hand in my pocket, let it slide because everyone was being battered around, but I kept feeling this hand in my pocket. After the fourth time or so I turned to the guy and asked him what the frakk he was playing at, he then turned around, made me out to be in the wrong, and a load of other guys then proceeded to make me out to be in the wrong too, (this happened at the end of Sanitarium) so I spent the next hour or so of Metallica's set up until they went off after Sandman pissed off, feeling tiny and angry to the point of near tears.
Without going in to details or going for a sob story, i've not had a very good time of things over the last year and a half or so, and for the first time in a while I was legitimately ecstatic, only to have some pickpocketing c*** ruin it all. I eventually got sick of this guy giving me shitty looks, pulling stupid faces and generally acting like a child, and got out of the crowd, towards the back and stood with my girlfriend. At which point 'Tallica started playing Justice, the song I had voted for multiple times thanks to it being one of, if not my very favourite Metallica song ever. At that point I just lost my gooseberry and near enough broke in to tears.

*Back to happy mode*

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience...I hope that's not what you'll remember about Sonisphere 2014! (it sounds like you have shaken it off already though 8-) )

I don't really have anything to moan about, but then again- I was only there for one day! Typically, we came on the day with worst weather! Yeah, that's my only rant- at ME for coming on the wrong day :lol:

MetalMan

Postby MetalMan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Overall it was excellent, but some bits pissed me off a bit, like in the Snake Pit before Metallica came out, getting loads of bottles thrown, and a full can of beer only just missed my head.

I agree with the fairground rides as well, a couple of the bands in the smaller tents I could hardly hear because all I could hear frakking Frank Sinatra..And its even more annoying at night, so I can understand people who wanted to get some sleep being pissed off..

lanky spastic

Postby lanky spastic » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:23 pm

Mizenberg wrote:
lanky spastic wrote:So I figure if anything annoying happened over the weekend, we can leave it here and forget about it forever :D

*Back to happy mode*

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience...I hope that's not what you'll remember about Sonisphere 2014! (it sounds like you have shaken it off already though 8-) )

I don't really have anything to moan about, but then again- I was only there for one day! Typically, we came on the day with worst weather! Yeah, that's my only rant- at ME for coming on the wrong day :lol:

Well thank you :D

But believe me I haven't shaken it off. After the hell of the last 18 months, the one bloody thing I was seriously looking forward to got well and truly frakked by some childish prick, i'm still absolutely fuming, but at least i'm not on the verge of tears like I was yesterday which is a plus I guess.

And you didn't come on the wrong day, Maiden were absolutely sublime ;)
OI, thats MY bed of nails!

grundahunter

Postby grundahunter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Great festival absolute shitty organised car park

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:34 pm

grundahunter wrote:Great festival absolute shitty organised car park

This is the rant thread, that is not a rant.

What was wrong with it?

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Only complaint is that BabyMetal weren't high enough on the bill and they weren't on Friday with the rest of the good bands :(
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Not a lot to moan about. Except that water point near the RR entrance to the arena. There was a constant stream of mud from it Saturday and Sunday. Not to pleasant for the guy who face planted in it Saturday afternoon I'm sure.

Only other disappointment was there seemed to be less in RR this year. Toilets and showers were spot on though. And campsite as a whole was fab however there were numerous problems with the shuttle buses, there was no pamper palace so we wondered what the big white empty tents were for and not great that we had to trek all the way over to main camp to use lockers. And we didn't have our wristbands checked going into the Rock Royalty campsite AT ALL all weekend. Pretty shocking when you are pretty much strip searched coming out of main camp
Image Image

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:43 pm

frakking speakers/amps stacked up on the left side of Apollo which restriced the view all weekend until they were taken down in time for Metallica. Why weren't they laid flat on Friday?

The Urinals between Apollo and Saturn were frakking disgusting, overflowing from Saturday, seemingly not emptied all weekend and included a river of piss flowing for about 5 metres.
FMC Code - 1k949287

rolpol

Postby rolpol » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Second Stage sound was pretty muddy, not sure if that was the prevailing wind blowing the sound back on itself though.

Traders putting up prices on Sunday to take advantage of the Metallica day trippers who wouldn't know better...

Unseemly scrum to get into RR; a couple more stewards could have got a proper system going where the first to arrive would be the first to enter.

Mobile signal crap at best, non existent for great swathes of time. Dropped me in the gooseberry with my wife, and probably lost Metallica some extra revenue from the phone vote...

Metallica's stage reorganization meaning Gojira were very late. Good that they weren't cut short though. I'm struggling now. Some of the bar staff were abrupt when there were thousands of people trying to buy drinks. Erm.

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:56 pm

@ lanky....oooh dear- hopefully having a rant will help somewhat! I hate it when people ruin stuff by being like that! :(

As for Maiden- didn't really watch them! :shock: :o ;) But thoroughly enjoyed the bands we went for (Alestorm, Ghost, Carcass, Deftones, Slayer)

Cerpin Taxt

Postby Cerpin Taxt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:58 pm

King_Walnut wrote:. I'd make a post about it but Zac would take it personally and Rockgeek would tell me I'm wrong. So there we go.

See, this is exactly what's wrong with these posts walnut. Your complaint is completely self fulfilling.

Your complaint was perfectly valid, leave it at that. The only thing making it personal is actually going on to mention them by name and complain about them. If you'd have just raised that concern, Zac would probably have looked into it as soon as possible, but you being antagonistic again is going to make them much less likely to want to help you or resolve your problem.

No complaints from me at all, except the lack of toilets in the Campsite.
http://www.last.fm/user/Shadow2nd
1k982241

Time til we the gates burst open and we rush in like a plague upon the land:

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Cerpin Taxt wrote:
Your complaint was perfectly valid, leave it at that. The only thing making it personal is actually going on to mention them by name and complain about them. If you'd have just raised that concern, Zac would probably have looked into it as soon as possible, but you being antagonistic again is going to make them much less likely to want to help you or resolve your problem.

Not my problem at all. I imagine Sonisphere would be in a lot of trouble if authorities knew children were working at the festival after midnight. Or at all. It's illegal for under 13's to have a job anywhere.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:04 pm

frakking stewards never checking wristbands in Quiet camping at night instead they were sat down or gossiping about 10 metres away from the entrance.
FMC Code - 1k949287

Cerpin Taxt

Postby Cerpin Taxt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:04 pm

King_Walnut wrote:
Cerpin Taxt wrote:

Not my problem at all. I imagine Sonisphere would be in a lot of trouble if authorities knew children were working at the festival after midnight. Or at all. It's illegal for under 13's to have a job anywhere.

It's not your problem, but you might have liked to know that they were looking into it.

Might not be especially applicable in this case, but being antagonistic like that isn't a good way to go through life. You'll never get any help from anyone with that attitude.
1k982241

marky_z

Postby marky_z » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:05 pm

Sorry to hear of your bad experience Lanky, I can see how it could ruin it for you. Although it was packed for Metallica it seemed like there were a lot of people who were more interested in other things. For example I was behind a girl who was more interested in posing for selfies and filming the crowd and the people she was with than watching the band. Also I've been to quite a few festivals in my time and saw a lot more drug taking than I've ever seen at Download, there were a group of 4 lads next to us snorting coke. Maybe I've just been blind to it in the past.

Really enjoyed the festival, glad I got to see the Maiden England set one last time and finally got to see The Prodigy live. Biggest surprise: Limp Bizkit, as merely a casual fan they blew me away and would definitely see them again.

Anyway, you're never going to see those people again so try and focus on the parts you enjoyed and forget about the cretins. It's unfortunate that there are always some idiots at these things, although I must say most people were spot on and just out to have fun. :music-rockon:

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:12 pm

The frakking screens for metallica. The big screens worked perfectly well for all the bands on Friday and Saturday but NO. THAT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR METALLICA, so they have their massive new screens put up, which have the slight problem in that they're entirely frakking useless in the light. Now, I appreciate it's a July day in England, so there was a chance of it pissing down and being dark all day, but there is always the chance that we'll have a little bit of sun and thus make their screens entirely frakking redundant.

I'm fortunate in that I'm about 6 foot tall, so it's easy for me to get into a space where I can see the band over people's shoulders etc. but I would imagine for anyone much under 6 foot it would have meant that they essentially couldn't see any bands on main stage on the Sunday.

Cerpin Taxt

Postby Cerpin Taxt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:20 pm

CherryInHove wrote:The frakking screens for metallica. The big screens worked perfectly well for all the bands on Friday and Saturday but NO. THAT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR METALLICA, so they have their massive new screens put up, which have the slight problem in that they're entirely frakking useless in the light. Now, I appreciate it's a July day in England, so there was a chance of it pissing down and being dark all day, but there is always the chance that we'll have a little bit of sun and thus make their screens entirely frakking redundant.

I'm fortunate in that I'm about 6 foot tall, so it's easy for me to get into a space where I can see the band over people's shoulders etc. but I would imagine for anyone much under 6 foot it would have meant that they essentially couldn't see any bands on main stage on the Sunday.

The screens also seemed quite unreliable for most of the day. Sections of them would go on and off at various times, and they were just off completely for parts of some sets.

Still, I guess if it's part of a headliner's stage tour, there's not a lot you can do to prevent them from installing their own stuff.
1k982241

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:29 pm

CherryInHove wrote:The frakking screens for metallica. The big screens worked perfectly well for all the bands on Friday and Saturday but NO. THAT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR METALLICA, so they have their massive new screens put up, which have the slight problem in that they're entirely frakking useless in the light. Now, I appreciate it's a July day in England, so there was a chance of it pissing down and being dark all day, but there is always the chance that we'll have a little bit of sun and thus make their screens entirely frakking redundant.

yep. this.
Image Image

Haggis

Postby Haggis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:43 pm

I had to go home on Sunday due to stupid fecking panic attacks. So that was a bit gooseberry. :evil:

The bar staff at the Trooper bar ( I thought there was supposed to be two? Could only find the one near Bohemia) were bloody rude at times. Really, really surly. I know, long shifts , dealing with pissheads etc etc... but I'd still expect some semblance of basic customer service. If they were my staff they would have got a right bollocking!
T in the Park - 1994, 1998
Reading - 1995
Leeds - 1999
Belladrum - 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013
Chagstock - 2012, 2013
Download - 2012
Sonisphere - 2010
Brew at the Bog - 2013, 2014
Rockness - 2011

MetalMan

Postby MetalMan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Some other complaints of mine that other posts reminded me about:-
-The urinals in the middle of the arena were vile to say the least
-Lack of toilets in Quiet camping, most people just had to piss on the fence, me included
-People putting chairs right near the stage, I have no problem with people taking chairs, but not when they're getting in the way & taking up loads of space!
-Prices of drinks, £5 a pint?! frakk that! Ill take my own in!!
-A lot of the staff were dicks, although some were alright, we ended up having a pint with one of the security guards from Metallica

Not that I'm one to complain..

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:12 pm

Haggis wrote:I thought there was supposed to be two? Could only find the one near Bohemia)
- there was stage left of the main stage, toward the entrance to guest camping

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”