The 2014 Rant Thread

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
smogo

Re: The 2014 Rant Thread

Postby smogo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:49 pm

I got pickpocketed during the Prodigy's set, having stupidly chosen not to stash any money safely(?) in my tent.

But thanks to whoever handed my (empty) wallet in.

Didn't let it spoil my weekend though, and I had a thoroughly enjoyable time. Even more so than at Glastonbury last week.

Oh by the way, did the intro to "The Unforgiven" sound as out of tune and badly played in the crowd as it did listening to Metallica from the campsite? We were cringing!

onona

Postby onona » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 pm

kipper64 wrote:The screens on sunday should have had a black backing - however according to eLOL - not seen this confirmed by kili/team soni themselves. There was an issue with the backings and lighting rigs and the wind where the backings wouldn't stay up and fell over, which obviously could be a potential safety hazard, so had to be taken down.

As I said, just hearsay at the moment but heard a few saying they said it, as well as one of the eLOL admins so could be legit, would also tie in with the delays on sunday.

There was definitely an issue with the lighting rigs. When the photographers were gathering side stage to shoot Gojira, and things were running late because the stage crew were still constructing the snake pit area, there was a huge gust of wind that knocked over three lighting rigs a few meters from us. It took them several hours to fix the issue and replace the rigs to their positions, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was related to the screen backing issue.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 pm

All hail the SheWee.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

mt96djc

Postby mt96djc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 pm

These were the things I had an issue with this year:

The screens on Sunday as mentioned previously. The worst part of it was, when we had the full effect of them when Metallica were on they still looked gooseberry. Who would have thought that three black bars down the middle of a screen would be a bad idea?

The car park - I spoke to a steward this monring (not sure if this is true) who said that basically they hadn't been given enough space for parking this year - partly due to a model aeroplane club - so the cars were crammed in badly near the exit. When they finally opened the other exit near the arena entrance though, we were on the road in minutes (after two hours of waiting).

The queue for the lockers - space for four people to work but I only ever saw two. Once I had my key though they worked fine and I had no problems.

I may be remembering it incorrectly but I'm sure that in 2011 there was an open space with some toilets in to the right of Apollo (as you look at the stage) but this year it was all fenced in. If this space was used as it was previously I think it would have resolved some toilet issues previously mentioned.

The fact that I can never pace myself as far as drinking goes on the first day. Why will I never learn not to get over-excited and peak too early!

Other than that I had a great time. Incidentally I was in Red 2 and there were two water points pretty close by to us. Toilets were a bit of a trek though.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:10 pm

I feel like if they were fiming it in 3D, the black bars would have something to do with that.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

marky-boy2

Postby marky-boy2 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:13 pm

toilets, massive walk from our quiet camping patch to the toilet and spent more time pissing against fences than in a proper toilet as couldn't be arsed with the trekking and queuing

DisposableHero

Postby DisposableHero » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:47 pm

Some of the stewards needed to be better informed about stuff. You couldn't help but become extremely frustrated when you ask a 4th steward where Guest Camping is, and the easiest/quickest route, but they don't even know it exists. Then when you get there no one checks the wristband! Kept sort of just getting "I don't really know" responses for everything. The security guys were a lot better I quickly learnt.

Toilet situation in Guest Camping needs to be vastly improved - as well as the ones placed between Apollo and Saturn (which many have already mentioned).

Also not sure if it is just me, but I feel the Guest Bar would work far better if it was close to the camping - so by the main stage. Obviously something that might not be logistically possible maybe, but something a bit like the set up at Reading would work better.

As mentioned as well, Sunday morning was a bit of a mess - if you're going to have an alternating stage system communication is absolutely vital.

Roll on 2015 though! :music-headbanger:

marky_z

Postby marky_z » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:49 pm

While waiting for Metallica to start I was wishing there was a feed from the screens on the second stage so I could watch Dream Theater. Probably a good reason why they don't do this but would be useful none the less.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:55 pm

marky_z wrote:While waiting for Metallica to start I was wishing there was a feed from the screens on the second stage so I could watch Dream Theater. Probably a good reason why they don't do this but would be useful none the less.

Yeah this has been brought up before and that's the reason it's mainly not done. They want people to move about the stages rather than just camp at one, and it's not an easy or cheap thing to do either. So don't think it'll ever happen!

Haggis

Postby Haggis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:15 pm

rockgeek wrote:
Haggis wrote:I thought there was supposed to be two? Could only find the one near Bohemia)
- there was stage left of the main stage, toward the entrance to guest camping

Baws. The one place I didn't look!
T in the Park - 1994, 1998
Reading - 1995
Leeds - 1999
Belladrum - 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013
Chagstock - 2012, 2013
Download - 2012
Sonisphere - 2010
Brew at the Bog - 2013, 2014
Rockness - 2011

LittleRed

Postby LittleRed » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:20 am

marky_z wrote:Sorry to hear of your bad experience Lanky, I can see how it could ruin it for you. Although it was packed for Metallica it seemed like there were a lot of people who were more interested in other things. For example I was behind a girl who was more interested in posing for selfies and filming the crowd and the people she was with than watching the band.

Laughing because this was probably me.
Turned my phone on for the first time since Thursday so decided to take some photos (since we had none) and having seen them 4 times already, some videos of Metallica for our friends who couldn't make it. Wasn't harming anyone in the process though, we were just enjoying ourselves. Unlike pick pocketers or mosh pits or perhaps the drunk lady next to us who kept dry humping her man with her leggings ripped from the seams straight up the crotch and banging into everyone...

Anyway, I had the same issues as everyone else, mainly the layout of the toilets in the campsite. A couple more food stalls in the campsite would have been ideal as well.

Something that really, really pissed me off was the way people were speaking to some of the staff. I get it's frustrating when one security member tells you one thing, and another tells you something different, but there's absolutely no need to speak to people as if they're gooseberry on the bottom of someones shoe.
I was talking to a security lad who was making sure people weren't just slipping through the fence to get in and out at the bottom of blue camp, it appeared other staff members had been giving out bad directions as so many people were coming up and having a go at him because they were lost. The lad told me he'd previously been pushed and started on as well. There is NO need for it. He was polite enough and not at all provocative towards arguments. For years at festivals people whine about the security but they've always been helpful to me since I've been nice to them, and it really infuriated me this weekend that people could be so rude. One security guy even walked me into the arena in the early hours so I could use the cash machine when I actually shouldn't have been allowed back in.

Great festival though, really liked the village meets arena layout.

Burnside

Postby Burnside » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:36 am

No problem bringing my own drink in. They search bags but if you have deep combat trousers you can put loads in there and they never frisk you. So if you want to bring a knife in and go on a stabbing spree next year then jusrt put it in your pocket.

Cant really find anything to complain about to be honest. Apart from more bands that I like and all that usual stuff. Well done Soni. Now get cracking with 2015.

Oh wait, the tie dye shirt sold out on the friday pretty damn quick. although i didnt see that many people wearing them. How many did they bring in initally? seven?

Zombie Wrangler

Postby Zombie Wrangler » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:14 am

Loved the weekend, but some stuff could've been improved. Entry to RR was crazy when they opened the car park. We arrived early but it still took us over 40 minutes to get in after they opened. The stewards didn't seem to know how to move vehicles very efficiently. Managed to get out easily on Monday morning, though.

What was with the empty big tents in RR? There was an extension lead lying on the deck, but other than that they were empty?

The RR tees were a bit on the cheap side, but I'm thinking it was down to reduced numbers, therefore less budget. The rest of RR was great though. The showers were a welcome relief after being in the zombie clown make up all day.

The security at RR were chatty and friendly, although I couldn't see the point of having a line of SIA qualified security checking bands at the entrance, then two kids as stewards about 30 feet away, in line of sight, checking them again. Seemed like a waste of staff.

I loved parking next to my tent, but given the big difference in price, RR seemed to be a bit lacking. Yeah, you get the RR barn, but event that was hit and miss as to the opening times. Given that Soni doesn't have the walk of death from the arena to the campsite, I think I'll save my pennies next time and go back into general camping.

The prices in the arena were again pretty steep; even more so than DL. Yes we all know festival prices are high, but my friends and I often nipped back to the campsite, rather than pay for silly priced beer or grub. You'd hope that Soni would try to remain in line with their biggest competitor, if not trying to be better priced but apparently not.

Gaz20000

Postby Gaz20000 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:31 am

The amount of toilets in the main stage area was ridiculous. Huge queues for the women and the urinals permanently overflowing. Far more needed in this area.
Why has the main stage been brought forward again? It made the viewing area feel crammed in. Please move it back to where it was, this will also make the wider area to the right of the stage available again, which is an ideal place for plenty of toilets.
Apart from these points it was generally a great festival.

RichD

Postby RichD » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:45 am

Weekend was awesome overall and I think most of the problems have already been addressed... for me it had to be the lack of toilets and water points in the camping section... I did find an unmarked water point in blue camp but in 2011 there were far more water points. Definitely needed to have move toilets and water points in the main arena between the two stages... the queues on Sunday got stupid and the water point by RR entry was just a bog most of the weekend....thankfully when I needed water the one by Bohemia was normally near empty . Also was the Apollo stage closer this year as seemed to be a lack of space by the main stage and seeing the screens could be a pain once there was a decent crowd... Also what happened to the big screen on the back of the filming rig that was there in 2011 meaning you could actually stand further back and get a view of the screens.

Don't care about prices...we were at a festival and expected to pay through the teeth and there were cheaper stalls if you hunted around.

I don't know how they can sort it but I had to miss Dream Theater to try get decent spot to stand in for Metallica.....maybe more time between them playing (though 20 minutes does seem a lot between bands on different stages) or just more screens to view them on so that there isn't 90% of the crowd already trying to get a spot for the headliners whilst the 2nd stage is still playing.

Other than that...roll on next year!!!

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 am

Having read all of these posts, it's actually made me think of a few rants, but one in particular:

* I saw loads of small children there, and I mean loads! When looking at booking tickets, it stated that under 5's would NOT be allowed! And yet I saw soooo many! My daughter is 4 years old (nearly 5), so we could not bring her, or so we thought! Does anybody know how people managed this? Annoying to say the least. :?: :evil:

* Lack of toilets around Apollo/Saturn, as said by plenty of others.

* Alcohol prices- ridiculous.

mart356

Postby mart356 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:44 am

Nothing to do with the festival but I saw a young boy, must have been younger than 10, up the front a few times with his father, and the boy didnt have earphones in! Noise like that can be extremely harmful for a child that age, put some earphones on him.

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:10 am

On Friday I saw a young couple with a pram and what looked like a very young baby.
Now it may have been a life like doll and a genius way to sneak in a crate of beer but if not - would you really bring a baby in a pram to a Sonisphere?!

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 am

CC Deville wrote:On Friday I saw a young couple with a pram and what looked like a very young baby.
Now it may have been a life like doll and a genius way to sneak in a crate of beer but if not - would you really bring a baby in a pram to a Sonisphere?!

If people really want to go, and they could not get a babysitter, then yeah they would! EVEN THOUGH NO UNDER 5's ARE ALLOWED. :x

I remember when Sonisphere 2009 happened- our baby was only 2 weeks old, and we weren't even AWARE of Soni until about a week or so before it happened. We thought "we can't...can we?" And we didn't. But we did leave her with family in 2010 and 2011 (and for the Saturday in 2014!).

We will be taking her to Alt-Fest though in a few weeks :D
Last edited by Mizenberg on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:19 am

marky-boy2 wrote:toilets, massive walk from our quiet camping patch to the toilet and spent more time pissing against fences than in a proper toilet as couldn't be arsed with the trekking and queuing

What trek? and what queue, I assume you are male, the urinals were empty every morning. If you needed a cubical, that's what happens when everyone wakes up at te same time, nothing can be helped about that. As for pissing against fences, you're a scrubber.

I was in quiet camping and the toilets were no more than a minute walk from where we were in the middle. At most I hazard to guess a 5 minute walk if that from the furthest point.
FMC Code - 1k949287

Caffman

Postby Caffman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:39 am

Metallicas screens. They were awful throughout the day.

Bars. I had to tell the people on the bar by the jäger tent the prices and they got my order wrong multiple times.

Prices on Sunday evening. We had been eating the burgers by Apollo all weekend. Sunday night the price suddenly went up by 50p. I'll give them kudos though. When I pointed out that it was gooseberries they gave me my money back and the burger!

Security. One guy told me that I could only bring ONE 500ml bottle in. When I challenged it with a supervisor he let me in without hesitation.

XXL tshirts. We were there by 9pm Thursday and got told the tie dye t shirt had sold out in minutes and there wasn't anymore expected.

Apart from that excellent weekend :music-headbanger:

The 59 Sound

Postby The 59 Sound » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:47 am

The noise for Reel Big Fish was a slight issue when it went off for a song or two but apart from that I had a great weekend. Everything else was spot on and well organised.

For the few people complaining about the bus ques on Sunday night - I left about half way through Metallica's last song seek and destroy and grabbed my tent and bags and was on a bus about 11:15 so made my trains home with time to spare. If you gotta catch a certain train you just gotta get yourself organised!
Upcoming Gigs

Sonisphere!

lanky spastic

Postby lanky spastic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:49 am

marky_z wrote:While waiting for Metallica to start I was wishing there was a feed from the screens on the second stage so I could watch Dream Theater. Probably a good reason why they don't do this but would be useful none the less.

I imagine it would be because they'd have to play the sound through the PA as well, which would 1, interfere with the apollo soundcheck, and 2, stop the advertising on the screens, which to be fair is bound to bring in alot of money for Soni

It would be brilliant if it happened though, luckily for me there wasn't masses of stuff I was bothered about on Saturn this year so I only ended up missing DT out of the Saturn bands I wanted to see
OI, thats MY bed of nails!

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:55 am

I thought the sound going off during Reel Big Fish was actually a really good moment.

Don't get me wrong, I was absolutely loving the set, but it just gave a great sense of atmosphere as the band slowly realised what was going on and then the massive cheer when it came back was brilliant.

lanky spastic

Postby lanky spastic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:57 am

marky_z wrote:Sorry to hear of your bad experience Lanky, I can see how it could ruin it for you. Although it was packed for Metallica it seemed like there were a lot of people who were more interested in other things. For example I was behind a girl who was more interested in posing for selfies and filming the crowd and the people she was with than watching the band. Also I've been to quite a few festivals in my time and saw a lot more drug taking than I've ever seen at Download, there were a group of 4 lads next to us snorting coke. Maybe I've just been blind to it in the past.

Really enjoyed the festival, glad I got to see the Maiden England set one last time and finally got to see The Prodigy live. Biggest surprise: Limp Bizkit, as merely a casual fan they blew me away and would definitely see them again.

Anyway, you're never going to see those people again so try and focus on the parts you enjoyed and forget about the cretins. It's unfortunate that there are always some idiots at these things, although I must say most people were spot on and just out to have fun. :music-rockon:

@ lanky....oooh dear- hopefully having a rant will help somewhat! I hate it when people ruin stuff by being like that! :(

As for Maiden- didn't really watch them! :shock: :o ;) But thoroughly enjoyed the bands we went for (Alestorm, Ghost, Carcass, Deftones, Slayer)

Thanks guys, i'm sure i'll stop being bitter eventually... when I see 'tallica for a sixth time :D

It seems you watched all the bands I wanted to see but ended up missing for various reasons!

And about the drug taking... I did notice a bit more than usual in the arena, like the couple taking MDMA next to me during Devin, but i've seen people snorting coke at Download, and the the stench of weed is much more prevalent there compared to Soni :p

Taking chemicals really is the height of stupidity though. A bit of weed is no problem for some fun (although I hate the stuff myself), but chemicals kill people for frakks sake, there's a good reason they're class A
OI, thats MY bed of nails!

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”