The State of Sonisphere 2015

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
MetalMan

Re: The State of Sonisphere 2015

Postby MetalMan » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:37 pm

For a while I've been doubting it will go ahead, but I now think if they get 1 or 2 decent headliners, it could go ahead, say if they got Ozzy and AC/DC

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:01 am

They won't get AC/DC.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:42 am

ACDC are considered just a "decent" headliner :P ?

There are plenty of bands who could play and headline, some decent and some big but to be honest if the competition ie downloads best offering is slipknot who are good but not massive enough to kill sonisphere if soni has a few solid or good bands.

It'll be interesting to see who ends up where, and theres still plenty of headline slots free for rock/metal fests in europe so plenty of bands who must be touring we dont know about yet

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:08 pm

If the best DL has got is shitknot maybe thats indicative of who is around this summer? If so not looking good for soni.

If we're honest, it's the years with slim pickings band wise where soni is going to fall short.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:19 pm

I dunno, the years Soni has been off, Download has had good line ups, but years soni has been on in 2011 and 2014 soni had much stronger line ups. 2009/2010 I think both managed good line ups though DL edged it with AC/DC in 2010 I guess.

Though I guess since cancelling you could argue it's different this time around.

Gnarkill

Postby Gnarkill » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:25 am

Sonisphere 2015/Ozzfest

Mainstage
Friday: Faith No More
Saturday: Tool or SOAD
Sunday: Ozzy or Sabbath

Second Stage
Friday (they'll need it): Marilyn Manson
Saturday: Rancid
Sunday: Alice Cooper

yay fun for all lets have a party let's get drunk and have fun in Knebworth because Soni will happen if that's the line up

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:45 am

The best indicator is to look at who other European festivals are announcing. Last year Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica etc were all touring, this year the biggest bands are Slipknot and Foo Fighters, both of which are rumoured elsewhere.

Sonisphere shared The Prodigy and Iron Maiden with Nova Rock last year, this year they have already announced Die Toten Hosen and Slipknot, 1 of which won't headlne a UK festival and the other is linked with Reading and Leeds and heavily rumoured for Download. Again last year Sonisphere shared Maiden and Metallica with Rock am Ring, this year they've announced Foo Fighters, Slipknot and Die Toten Hosen.

Unless Sonisphere has 3 headliners which haven't been announced for any Euro fest yet or rumoured to be playing, then I doubt it is going ahead.
FMC Code - 1k949287

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:20 am

metalicbear wrote:The best indicator is to look at who other European festivals are announcing. Last year Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica etc were all touring, this year the biggest bands are Slipknot and Foo Fighters, both of which are rumoured elsewhere.

Sonisphere shared The Prodigy and Iron Maiden with Nova Rock last year, this year they have already announced Die Toten Hosen and Slipknot, 1 of which won't headlne a UK festival and the other is linked with Reading and Leeds and heavily rumoured for Download. Again last year Sonisphere shared Maiden and Metallica with Rock am Ring, this year they've announced Foo Fighters, Slipknot and Die Toten Hosen.

Unless Sonisphere has 3 headliners which haven't been announced for any Euro fest yet or rumoured to be playing, then I doubt it is going ahead.

Its sorta how I am beginning to feel now :cry:

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 am

Bleh. The will-they-won't-they game is a miserable part of being a Sonisphere fan. They should just say 'frakk it' and put the festival on regardless. I don't really care if they all go broke and lose their homes and starve in the streets. It's worth it for me to have four days of fun.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:55 pm

You're all idiots.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

mt96djc

Postby mt96djc » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:49 am

Anyone see the instagram comment this morning? Someone asked about an announcement and they replied to say that traditionally it was late nov/early Dec. Thought it was interesting that they replied rather than just ignore the question. :pray:

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Thats good. I think if they were sure it wasnt happening by this stage it'd be more ifs and maybes or ignored as you say

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 pm

http://www.deag.de/singlenews/view/deag ... -hell.html

Quite interesting. RaR venue, an event which is essentially the German Sonisphere for next year I guess. Has galbraith involved, so could be a sign of things in the works. Would he get involved with a singular German event that wasn't part of a EU touring festival like Sonisphere, and whilst this is not called sonisphere - probably due to who else is involved, the venue etc.. it's been known that past EU sonisphere's have been part of the tour but branded differently, or co-branded with other EU festivals.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:11 am

Should also point out DEAG now own a 51 percent stake in Kili live. So with them involved it probably means more money I'd have thought?

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:58 am

So maybe a reason why there is a lack of info coming out if internal machinations have been occurring - I really do hope it happens though

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:29 pm

So soni to share bands with RaR/RiP?

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Doubtful. Whilst it's being held in RaR's usual venue the Nurburgring, it's different people. RAR is moving from there for next year cause the company that owns it wanted more money/a bigger cut so they ditched the contract and DEAG stepped in to take it and start a new rock fest there. Either way if they are planning on a rock festival where RaR used to take place that will be compared to and compete with RaR, they must have some big bands lined up.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:37 pm

kipper64 wrote:http://www.deag.de/singlenews/view/deag-signed-a-5-year-contract-to-be-the-promoter-of-the-festival-from-2015-onwards-green-hell.html

Quite interesting. RaR venue, an event which is essentially the German Sonisphere for next year I guess. Has galbraith involved, so could be a sign of things in the works. Would he get involved with a singular German event that wasn't part of a EU touring festival like Sonisphere, and whilst this is not called sonisphere - probably due to who else is involved, the venue etc.. it's been known that past EU sonisphere's have been part of the tour but branded differently, or co-branded with other EU festivals.

To me that leads to two possibilities:

A) Galbraith is shifting focus away from the UK festival market (due to it being oversaturated)
B) If There is to be another German rock festival and the limited pool of headliners already discussed cover the current festivals next year, then perhaps there are more headliners not yet rumoured who could also play sonisphere
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Well for point A) I think that was always the aim anyway, was it not? Kili Live was set up in part to facilitate sonisphere, a touring festival across Europe, so expanding across Europe was always a focus. Obviously being promoters, having a strong presence in the UK in terms of putting on shows is important, and they have that covered, but without partnering with promoters across Europe, as an independent promoter they'd probably find it hard to expand out. Especially with Livenation, and AEG having quite a strong presence. I don't think that expansion into Europe is a new prospect is basically what I'm saying, and I doubt it's going to mean they'll neglect the UK. As the articles state DEAG are wanting to get a foothold in the UK, so I doubt that'd lead to them wanting to neglect the UK, otherwise where's the incentive for them?

I agree with the second point though, most EU rock fests have yet to announce anyone, and if Green Hell fest is going to go up against Slipknot and Foos in Germany, they must have some bands in the pipeline - who could be part of the sonisphere tour if it happens. I imagine Slipknot will be part of the soni tour, and they might even be a part of this green hell thing too, cause the german soni had metallica who did RAR last year as well, but if they want to attract 80k people, they'll need more than just them.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:16 am

hash pipe wrote:So soni to share bands with RaR/RiP?

Nope, it has nothing to do with RaR/RiP.

DEAG bought shares in Kili Live about 6 months ago, it's old news, all it means is Kili Live will be able to promote in Europe more, rather than just the UK which they currently do and they've set up a new festival - Green Hell, which is basically Sonisphere Germany which we had this year.
FMC Code - 1k949287

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:20 am

kipper64 wrote:I agree with the second point though, most EU rock fests have yet to announce anyone, and if Green Hell fest is going to go up against Slipknot and Foos in Germany, they must have some bands in the pipeline - who could be part of the sonisphere tour if it happens. I imagine Slipknot will be part of the soni tour, and they might even be a part of this green hell thing too, cause the german soni had metallica who did RAR last year as well, but if they want to attract 80k people, they'll need more than just them.

Only a few festivals in June/July haven't announced yet, most have.

Green Hell is basically just Sonisphere Germany. Problem is there is a different market in Germany, they might have loads of bands that we don't, especially with their 80k capacity, Soni UK is limited due to it's size.

Can see it sharing more bands with Download rather than Knebworth. Depending on ticket sales, can see Kili offering UK customers discounts.
FMC Code - 1k949287

houston404

Postby houston404 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:52 pm

kipper64 wrote:Well for point A) I think that was always the aim anyway, was it not? Kili Live was set up in part to facilitate sonisphere, a touring festival across Europe, so expanding across Europe was always a focus. Obviously being promoters, having a strong presence in the UK in terms of putting on shows is important, and they have that covered, but without partnering with promoters across Europe, as an independent promoter they'd probably find it hard to expand out. Especially with Livenation, and AEG having quite a strong presence. I don't think that expansion into Europe is a new prospect is basically what I'm saying, and I doubt it's going to mean they'll neglect the UK. As the articles state DEAG are wanting to get a foothold in the UK, so I doubt that'd lead to them wanting to neglect the UK, otherwise where's the incentive for them?

I agree with the second point though, most EU rock fests have yet to announce anyone, and if Green Hell fest is going to go up against Slipknot and Foos in Germany, they must have some bands in the pipeline - who could be part of the sonisphere tour if it happens. I imagine Slipknot will be part of the soni tour, and they might even be a part of this green hell thing too, cause the german soni had metallica who did RAR last year as well, but if they want to attract 80k people, they'll need more than just them.

I should reiterate what I meant by point A as I was very vague, I meant shifting focus from large UK festivals. I'd imagine they would keep Wakestock going as that seemed to be doing well; but the likes of Soni might be put on the backburner or given another year off due to oversaturation and seemingly limited pool of viable headliners next year.

Just occurred to me, since the UK seems to be the main focus of Slipknot's January tour, maybe they will play continental festivals next year but not a UK festival. 1 or 2 shows in the French/Danish/German etc markets would leave them quite a bit of pull as a festival headliner; but what, 8? UK dates, that'd be quite a stretch.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:59 pm

Yeah I see what you mean, I think it depends though on who is or isn't about. If they have to get 3 headliners for Green Hell, and whatever euro sonis happen, that can't be Slipknot (cause Rock Am Ring). It suggests there are more bands out there than we are aware of that'll be about next year. The hellfest rammstein rumours for this year suggest that.

I think it'll limit Slipknot's draw a bit and they've recently done a UK fest (Download 2013), but they do have a new album out and the UK tour in Jan sold out almost immediately, so I don't think they'll be seen as too risky a booking.

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:43 pm

metalicbear wrote:
hash pipe wrote:So soni to share bands with RaR/RiP?

Nope, it has nothing to do with RaR/RiP.

DEAG bought shares in Kili Live about 6 months ago, it's old news, all it means is Kili Live will be able to promote in Europe more, rather than just the UK which they currently do and they've set up a new festival - Green Hell, which is basically Sonisphere Germany which we had this year.

ah, teach me to skim read

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:56 am

According to Alan Day on Twitter - he is working away on Sonisphere 2015!

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”