The State of Sonisphere 2015

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
PurpleDemon

The State of Sonisphere 2015

Postby PurpleDemon » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Starting this thread early for one simple reason: Team Rock has done an interview with SG and he's said that while Sonisphere are already talking to prospective headliners for next year, they're moving forward with the mentality that if they don't have an A+ bill shaping up by Christmas, they won't go ahead with the festival.

SG has admitted that he still doesn't know the status of Sonisphere for next year yet. My question is this: can Sonisphere still be a major player with this mentality, or does it play into the hands of the competition?

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

GazzaScotland

Re: The State of Sonisphere 2015

Postby GazzaScotland » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:02 pm

While it could work for Soni as they won't be at the risk of losing money from a less than successful event it could be an issue getting bands.

Soni goes, "We want you to play but can't offer you anything concrete until we get X, Y & Z in place", other festival comes in..."We want you to play, here is the contract to sign right now"

Pikachu

Postby Pikachu » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:41 pm

GazzaScotland wrote:While it could work for Soni as they won't be at the risk of losing money from a less than successful event it could be an issue getting bands.

Soni goes, "We want you to play but can't offer you anything concrete until we get X, Y & Z in place", other festival comes in..."We want you to play, here is the contract to sign right now"

I think that will be a major issue personally. So many of the headliners are booked 18+ months in advance now with talks starting 2 years in advance that not being able to tell them definitely if its going ahead until 8 months before the event will hurt them

Zac

Postby Zac » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:50 pm

Pikachu wrote:
GazzaScotland wrote:While it could work for Soni as they won't be at the risk of losing money from a less than successful event it could be an issue getting bands.

I think that will be a major issue personally. So many of the headliners are booked 18+ months in advance now with talks starting 2 years in advance that not being able to tell them definitely if its going ahead until 8 months before the event will hurt them

Not true. Headliners get booked 7-8 months or so in advance, if not later.

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:34 pm

Andy Copping has said he has been in the process of booking the headliners well over a year in advance which seems true seeing as headliners are getting announced earlier each year and the booking process takes months so Pikachu is right there Zac
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

OneZeroOneUK

Postby OneZeroOneUK » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Blackwater wrote:Andy Copping has said he has been in the process of booking the headliners well over a year in advance which seems true seeing as headliners are getting announced earlier each year and the booking process takes months so Pikachu is right there Zac

:lol:

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Blackwater wrote:Andy Copping has said he has been in the process of booking the headliners well over a year in advance which seems true seeing as headliners are getting announced earlier each year and the booking process takes months so Pikachu is right there Zac

This is true, Copping actually announced that Foo Fighters would headline Download 2015 back in 1994.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:26 pm

I guess this belongs here. Apart from the Biffy typo, it's an interesting quick read http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/20 ... conference

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 am

PurpleDemon wrote:My question is this: can Sonisphere still be a major player with this mentality, or does it play into the hands of the competition?
Yes

The mentality of "If we get an awesome line up that will sell tickets then we shall put the festival on" should work

AlexVanHalen

Postby AlexVanHalen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:13 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:SG has admitted that he still doesn't know the status of Sonisphere for next year yet. My question is this: can Sonisphere still be a major player with this mentality, or does it play into the hands of the competition?

I'd rather go to a great festival every other year than go to a mediocre one every year just for the sake of it.
That is, however, just my opinion from a punter's point of view.
Sonisphere City Ambassador for Luton - 2011
PurpleDemon wrote:you're the worst person ever

rockgeek wrote:If you can find me at Sonisphere 2014, I shall buy you a pint... this applies to anyone

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Pikachu wrote:

Goes away for awhile, comes back war mongering when everyone is at Sonisphere. True Trish.

Your statement is utter balls as well. Talks may begin 12-18 months in advance, but bands certainly aren't booked 18 months in advance. I know this from several festivals. How can you book bands for an event in 2 years time, when bands themselves don't know what they're doing half the time.

As to the question in hand, if the bands they want are available, then yes it will go ahead.
FMC Code - 1k949287

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Also, has anyone else heard of that DLF want to start charging £300 for a standard weekend ticket?

I was lucky enough to spend time in guest area and camping and I heard this from a few people

owl79

Postby owl79 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:57 pm

I've heard DL RIP ticket have gone up extortionately :(

SONI 10',
SONI 11',
INCUBUS NOV 11',
DL 12',
FOB 14'
SONI 14'

MetalMan

Postby MetalMan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:50 pm

So do we have any idea when next years headliners will be announced?

houston404

Postby houston404 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:51 pm

I think it's a double edged sword, with more negatives than positives. Holding back and only going ahead when you have a solid line up is good as it benefits the consumer in that they will only go ahead when they have a strong line up, rather than polishing a gooseberry so to say.

However it doesn't fill me with confidence. Most people on this forum bang on about how a festival need to get in there early and pique the interests of the punters at the start, this has the opposite effect as most people will expect the festival won't be on until they say it is. Advantage put in the hands of other festivals I think.

Also, realistically, "A+" line up means a line up that is going to sell, so I imagine less inspired but proven ticketshifters are going to be the type of bands they go for which could make the festival bland in the long term. Booking the festival year after year would force soni to be more creative with band bookings which is something I think soni does best by not running annually I fear they can slip into the same old same old as they can wait until a good bulk of regular festival bands tour during that summer.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:47 pm

I guess it's a valid point. Up until now we've seen two Sonispheres get cancelled due to issues with sourcing a good enough lineup .. which I guess is pretty simple to understand but then the likes of Download and Reading can produce very weak years and still be a relative success.

Can Sonisphere stand on its own two feet without Metallica or Iron Maiden holding it up? I personally don't think so, but I would fuc­king love to be wrong.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Good point Walnut.

I can understand Sonisphere wanting to have the best lineup they can, but even if the lineup isn't as strong as they hoped, surely they can reduce prices and draw punters in in other ways. Download still manages to go ahead even with a semi shite lineup, see 2008, 2011, 2014.

Having a year off every couple of years will kill any momentum and support they have. As people will go elsewhere and expect Sonisphere to fail every year.

As others have said, if they're struggling to book a Metal/ Hard Rock headliner, why not aim at different bands like they originally said such as The Killers, Kings of Leon etc. Mix it up a bit.

Also please no more Metallica/ Maiden. Those bookings are more detrimental than looking at smaller options. It's why people ridicule Sonispere and say gooseberry like they can't go ahead without them or calling it Metallicafest.
FMC Code - 1k949287

Cerpin Taxt

Postby Cerpin Taxt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:16 pm

King_Walnut wrote:Can Sonisphere stand on its own two feet without Metallica or Iron Maiden holding it up? I personally don't think so, but I would fuc­king love to be wrong.

I'm really surprised that Metallica are still such a big draw. They've been on tour doing festivals pretty much constantly for what, 6 years? There was a huge increase in people on the Sunday waiting to see them.

Back to the topic, I think it's refreshing for a festival organiser to be honest and blunt. It's also better to commit yourself to getting the best line up possible then to just try and cobble together any old shitty line up.

The problem with this is, it causes a game of cat and mouse between Soni and other festivals, if they're both after the same bands, the stakes are much higher for Sonisphere as they have committed themselves to getting a good band or else they cant go ahead. Unfortunately it plays into the hands of Download, they can afford to pay through the nose to get bands that are already in discussions with Sonisphere as they know there's a good chance it will stop their main competitor from going ahead.

I think it might Oslo weaken Sonisphere's bargaining position. Bands can say "you need us, or else you can't go ahead". There's no way of arguing against that.

Overall, I guess it's good for fans as it encourages Download to book half decent bands for once. But, without the balance that Soni brings, we'll be back to line ups as bad as this year's Download in a couple of years.
http://www.last.fm/user/Shadow2nd
1k982241

Time til we the gates burst open and we rush in like a plague upon the land:

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:42 pm

When 2015 is revealed and it doesn't involve Metallica or Iron Maiden, how many people are going to think "The lineup doesn't have a legendary epic rock band in it ... I'm not buying a ticket because it's obviously gonna be cancelled"?

Could be a viscous circle. Trepidation about the festival being cancelled leads to poor ticket sales which leads to the festival being cancelled.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:08 pm

It really depends. I think we can finally start to rule out Rage Against the Machine happening, but I feel like Tool get more likely every year. Muse could sell out Knebworth on their own but I'm sure Sonisphere will at least try to chase them down, same with AC/DC. Sabbath have no plans to do anything any time soon but it seems like a Knebworth show is the last big thing for them to do. I could quite easily see them doing Knebworth and Villa Park next year and then call it a day for good. RHCP, Foos, Biffy and Kasabian are all outliers that could be slightly feasible as lighter headliners, and Rammstein, Linkin Park and Slipknot are all possible return headliners. Avenged Sevenfold? QOTSA? I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for Sonisphere to go fine without the big two.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:18 pm

I think it just depends to be honest, there are plenty of bands out there that aren't Maiden or Metallica that can sell a good crowd. Sabbath, Foos, AC/DC, Green Day, Pearl Jam - you know stadium acts etc... one of those and they'd be pretty much set. Then you've got smaller but still quite strong headliners like Linkin Park, Rammstein, Tool, RATM, Slipknot, SOAD, a combination of a 3 of those would work too I reckon - especially with a solid undercard.

It also depends who is on at other festivals though. I seriously doubt Maiden will tour next year as they've just done their 3 year cycle touring Maiden England, off the back of quite a long tour for Final Frontier to boot with not much of a break - so I can't see them doing anything next summer. Similarly, Metallica will have their new album coming out so I reckon no summer festivals next year and they'll do the arena circuits next year to promote it followed by a festival the following year. So if nobody has these bands, it sort of levels the playing field to some degree.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:28 pm

How about Pink Floyd? They did play a helluva lot of Floyd over the weekend

Maybe if they can't put together the bill they want, they will look at the bands in the mix and do a one day event like RHCP a few years back?

Cerpin Taxt

Postby Cerpin Taxt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:36 pm

King_Walnut wrote:When 2015 is revealed and it doesn't involve Metallica or Iron Maiden, how many people are going to think "The lineup doesn't have a legendary epic rock band in it ... I'm not buying a ticket because it's obviously gonna be cancelled"?

Could be a viscous circle. Trepidation about the festival being cancelled leads to poor ticket sales which leads to the festival being cancelled.

That is a worry, but I'm not sure that most people know about that quote. The festival was a big success this year, and Soni are rebuilding their brand at a good pace. I think the outlook looks good.

As for headliners, It's a bit early to predict yet. There are probably already talks going on with the majority of those bands already mentioned.

Another interesting possibility though, what about having a day without a headliner (poss friday), or one with dual headliners. A bit like that twins of evil tour that Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson did. You could have two smaller but up and coming bands fill a big slot. It would certainly generate a lot of discussion, and it would be a really interesting idea and it would be nice to see what it would do for those bands popularity.

Besides, I think festivals will have to think outside the box when it comes to headliners in a few years anyway, most of the big names are surely going to retire soon. There just isn't the calibre of younger bands to take their place.
http://www.last.fm/user/Shadow2nd
1k982241

Time til we the gates burst open and we rush in like a plague upon the land:

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:57 pm

rockgeek wrote:How about Pink Floyd? They did play a helluva lot of Floyd over the weekend

Maybe if they can't put together the bill they want, they will look at the bands in the mix and do a one day event like RHCP a few years back?

Floyd will do their own Knebworth show if anything, I feel. I don't think they'll play Sonisphere.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Personally I think they can manage without the big two as for me and my friends the main draw with Sonisphere is the location and the way its run, the venue is much better than DL and due to the way its set out you never feel cramped and can see alot more bands over the weekend. I think they need to make more people aware of that as it more than makes up for any single headliner.

The only thing which we felt would improve it would be the Wednesday opening as by the time we had arrived and set up it was 7pm and we like the thursday for being a catch up day
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”