Festival regrets/lessons learned

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
Mizenberg

Festival regrets/lessons learned

Postby Mizenberg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi all,

I thought it would be nice for people to share any stories from previous Sonispheres (or other festivals if you like!) where afterwards you thought "D'oh" or "wish I had done this" or "wish I hadn't done that!"- anything from missing bands, to seeing ones you wish you hadn't, fashion/alcohol disasters, whatever! And from any mistakes, have you learned anything which may make you do things differently this time?

One or two which spring to mind for me are: Not going to the first Sonisphere, and not going to Download 2006/7. With Sonisphere, I regret walking away from In Flames in 2011 to get a good spot for Mastodon.

I regret paying waaaaaay over the odds for Reading 2008 tickets, only for the 2 bands we wanted to see (Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold) both pulling out!

I also sometimes regret not making as much effort to get to know strangers as I would really like to! :music-tool:
Last edited by Mizenberg on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rockgeek

Re: Festival regrets/lessons learned

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:33 pm

I always drink far too much within hours of getting there. Each year. Idiot.

Also relying on people to have the same enthusiasm for music as you do.

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:39 pm

rockgeek wrote:I always drink far too much within hours of getting there. Each year. Idiot.

Also relying on people to have the same enthusiasm for music as you do.

LOL, I get you on both counts! :text-givemebeer:

I am most likely driving this year (only going for Saturday), so I certainly wont be drinking too much! But without booze, will I have the same enthusiasm for the music? hmmm, we'll see. :lol:

This leads me to another regret- booking a weeks holiday for August, so we can't afford a whole weekend at Sonisphere :roll:

chunkboy

Postby chunkboy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:12 pm

Not taking my loosely fitting sunglasses off before being profusely sick on one particularly over exuberant Thursday afternoon at Reading in my teens. As I crawled out of my tent, knowing exactly what was coming, they swang off the end of my nose and covered my mouth, resulting in them being covered in puke and sending a spray of vomit in all directions. Not my finest hour I have to admit. :music-tool:

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 pm

chunkboy wrote:Not taking my loosely fitting sunglasses off before being profusely sick on one particularly over exuberant Thursday afternoon at Reading in my teens. As I crawled out of my tent, knowing exactly what was coming, they swang off the end of my nose and covered my mouth, resulting in them being covered in puke and sending a spray of vomit in all directions. Not my finest hour I have to admit. :music-tool:

That is sooooooo grim!! :doh: :shock:

I do regret having so much of 'something' that I pretty much passed out at *cough* V festival *cough cough* in 1997 :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Stiv

Postby Stiv » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:44 pm

I REGRET NOTHING!!!

(exept falling asleep & missing Mastadon)

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Bit of a mixed moment of shame and of unintended glory.

At Download 2012 on the Wed night after much drinking had commenced people eventually hit the sack, the next morning it turned out that 3 tents in a row (mine was the fourth) had all been the victim of a thief so my mate advised me to check for my wallet, keys, phone etc. I had a look round and realised everything was missing and my tent had been unzipped when I woke up, mixed with the prospect of having lost everything on the first day I was in a state of near panic.

Got out of my tent and spotted my jeans in the middle of the campsite with phone, wallet with £200, car keys, house keys, everything still in the pockets. For a moment I though the thief must have been interrupted and dropped my pants whilst legging it...... Yeah turns out that actually I was so drunk I started doing some random striptease in the middle of the camp site to try and impress a lesbian and fell into my tent without my pants.

Still it stopped me having my gooseberry robbed lol
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Stiv wrote:I REGRET NOTHING!!!

Blimey, don't know how you managed that- my ears have never recovered after seeing them- soooooo loud!

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Rick wrote:Bit of a mixed moment of shame and of unintended glory.

At Download 2012 on the Wed night after much drinking had commenced people eventually hit the sack, the next morning it turned out that 3 tents in a row (mine was the fourth) had all been the victim of a thief so my mate advised me to check for my wallet, keys, phone etc. I had a look round and realised everything was missing and my tent had been unzipped when I woke up, mixed with the prospect of having lost everything on the first day I was in a state of near panic.

Got out of my tent and spotted my jeans in the middle of the campsite with phone, wallet with £200, car keys, house keys, everything still in the pockets. For a moment I though the thief must have been interrupted and dropped my pants whilst legging it...... Yeah turns out that actually I was so drunk I started doing some random striptease in the middle of the camp site to try and impress a lesbian and fell into my tent without my pants.

Aaaah- what a beautiful story! ;) :oops: :P :mrgreen:

overagekid

Postby overagekid » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Not being as active in chatting to randoms, especially the people near me.
And not going down the front for Slipknot, Iron Maiden and Korn (one I got nervous near the front (one of my first festivals), one I had my girlfriend with me and one I was just too lazy)

MetalMan

Postby MetalMan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Dont forget your frakking tent...It may sound simple; it is not.

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Rick wrote:Bit of a mixed moment of shame and of unintended glory.

:clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: Brilliant!
Image Image

Gaz2k21

Postby Gaz2k21 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:20 pm

I didn't bring a tent to Reading festival 2002, instead choosing to buy one in reading.....

Ended up with a single skinned 2 man that was hideously over-priced and not waterproof.

It rained a lot
"Drunk slam whale tryin to give a beejeezy"

"Born to bleed fighting to succeed built to endure what this world throws at me"

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:31 pm

I don't think I've ever done anything at a festival that I'm particularly embarrassed about. I do regret, however, having changed taste in music (to a degree) as I've got older. When I look back on some of the bands I missed over the years because, at that time, I didn't know who they were/like them, I get a little bit teary. :doh:
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

Dave Poodle

Postby Dave Poodle » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:53 pm

Stiv wrote:I REGRET NOTHING!!!

These are my exact thoughts from Soundwave in Australia this year :-)
We prob shouldn't have drank all our supplies on the train to wacken in 08. I was too munted to set up my tent properly and by the end it looked like I was sleeping in a body bag but I was that blotto by the end of most days I didn't care.
Also wished i'd prayed harder to Dio and Lemmy (he's a living god) for better weather at a few fests like Metal Camp 09 and Graspop 12 (rain) and Hellfest last week (oppressive sun).

mcmoomin

Postby mcmoomin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:09 pm

Deffo regret getting stupid drunk on the first night, thus being too delicate to enjoy Friday properly (this usually happens whatever I do though - festivals, weekends away, holidays etc *first night giddiness drinking*)

Also regret not giving smaller/lower bill bands more of a try. Am making an effort to listen to a lot of the bands this year so I know who to go catch :)

Foz

Postby Foz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Leeds 2005 (i think), me and the lads were pulled an all nighter during "riot night" to watch the tents while the girls with us slept. After smoking enough over the weekend to knock out several horses i became distracted by a strange drumming sound, and decided with the three brain cells i had left, to investigate. As i headed towards to drumming one of the guys shouted "just make sure you don't come back covered in blood or something"

So, after a few minutes walk through the camp site i came up to the little village thing and saw this HUUUGE fire. The drums were still banging away. Transfixed by this towering inferno i wandered towards the sound of the drums smiling away at all the people stood around the fire and suddenly WALLOP, something cracked me right on the side of the head. The blow swung me round and although i somehow stayed on my feet i stumbled around in a dazed circle. The sound of the drums being much louder brought me too, and low and behold there was a line of riot police guarding some Carling trucks banging away on their shields. I have no idea whether it was one of the police or a missile that struck me but i turned out i managed to walk right inbetween a load of rioters trying to break into the carling lorries, and the police guarding them.

After half an hour in the medic tent i wandered back to came and sat back in my camping chair in amongst a few "wtfs",the guy who shouted after me earlier simply said "dickhead" and passed me a beer. I've still got a lump/scar on the side of my head today!

AbsintheChris

Postby AbsintheChris » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:37 pm

chunkboy wrote:Not taking my loosely fitting sunglasses off before being profusely sick on one particularly over exuberant Thursday afternoon at Reading in my teens. As I crawled out of my tent, knowing exactly what was coming, they swang off the end of my nose and covered my mouth, resulting in them being covered in puke and sending a spray of vomit in all directions. Not my finest hour I have to admit. :music-tool:

And so we learn the source of your username...

As for me, Download '13... maybe not the best idea to drink two bottles of MD 20/20 in the queue. Don't remember getting my wristband, finding the camp, or pretty much any of the Wednesday. Woke up in the carpark about 4am on Thursday in the passenger seat of my car, shivering.

Lesson learned: start drinking AFTER your tent is up.

owl79

Postby owl79 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:47 pm

1st lesson learned the sister in law will not be going with me ever again...she brought her now ex with her to soni 2011, who ruined my Metallica and Biffy experience, and I discovered was taking money out of my purse. Thanks to some lovely tent neighbors i didn't spend the entire fest on my own. At DL 2012, she brought her now fiance with her, this one didn't take my pennies but he too ruined my Biffy & Metallica experience, The big bruv in law & his missus found me on Sunday and refused to let me out of their site and was the only day I wasn't a loner.

2nd lesson - Wellies and false legs don't go together. DL12 Friday, the false foot wellie got stuck in the mud for Prodigy, a slight crowd surge knocked me to the mud, a pair of raving boots stamped on my ribs and the kick to the face knocked me out. A very nice steward saw me mud plant and dove to rescue me....end result..bruised face, bruised ribs, sore hand and knacked real ankle.

SONI 10',
SONI 11',
INCUBUS NOV 11',
DL 12',
FOB 14'
SONI 14'

Hart Attack

Postby Hart Attack » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:01 pm

I didn't sleep at all on the Saturday night at Download a few weeks ago, and had been drinking for 22 solid hours. Sunday was not fun.

Definitely need to learn from that and take it a bit easier at festivals from now on.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:09 pm

Too many times I've forgotten my handheld charger and then had to pay a ton at charge booths.

Also, I drank so much one night at Bloodstock last year that I went temporarily blind the next day. That was a laugh and a half.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:54 am

Epic Failure wrote:I don't think I've ever done anything at a festival that I'm particularly embarrassed about. I do regret, however, having changed taste in music (to a degree) as I've got older. When I look back on some of the bands I missed over the years because, at that time, I didn't know who they were/like them, I get a little bit teary. :doh:

Amen to that, I always get the lanyards for every fest and have them at home to look back on. There is nothing worse than seeing a band you love listed who played the year you were not aware off, or not into them.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:57 am

Gaz2k21 wrote:I didn't bring a tent to Reading festival 2002, instead choosing to buy one in reading.....

Ended up with a single skinned 2 man that was hideously over-priced and not waterproof.

It rained a lot

I was at that one! yes, it did indeed rain alot, on the Saturday if i recall correctly? My wife wore a plastic bag on her head that day :P

We were staying in a hotel that year though- do NOT regret that, as Reading campsites are pretty horrific!

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:59 am

Epic Failure wrote:I don't think I've ever done anything at a festival that I'm particularly embarrassed about. I do regret, however, having changed taste in music (to a degree) as I've got older. When I look back on some of the bands I missed over the years because, at that time, I didn't know who they were/like them, I get a little bit teary. :doh:

I totally get what you mean. When I look back at some previous festival lineups, I sooo wish I had been there! :music-tool:

Mizenberg

Postby Mizenberg » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:03 am

Foz wrote:Leeds 2005 (i think), me and the lads were pulled an all nighter during "riot night" to watch the tents while the girls with us slept. After smoking enough over the weekend to knock out several horses i became distracted by a strange drumming sound, and decided with the three brain cells i had left, to investigate. As i headed towards to drumming one of the guys shouted "just make sure you don't come back covered in blood or something"

So, after a few minutes walk through the camp site i came up to the little village thing and saw this HUUUGE fire. The drums were still banging away. Transfixed by this towering inferno i wandered towards the sound of the drums smiling away at all the people stood around the fire and suddenly WALLOP, something cracked me right on the side of the head. The blow swung me round and although i somehow stayed on my feet i stumbled around in a dazed circle. The sound of the drums being much louder brought me too, and low and behold there was a line of riot police guarding some Carling trucks banging away on their shields. I have no idea whether it was one of the police or a missile that struck me but i turned out i managed to walk right inbetween a load of rioters trying to break into the carling lorries, and the police guarding them.

After half an hour in the medic tent i wandered back to came and sat back in my camping chair in amongst a few "wtfs",the guy who shouted after me earlier simply said "dickhead" and passed me a beer. I've still got a lump/scar on the side of my head today!

Crikey, that is some story.... :!:

I'm all for having campsite fun, but rioting?? noooooo

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”