Let's share some survival tips guys....

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
Gaz2k21

Let's share some survival tips guys....

Postby Gaz2k21 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:36 pm

The fest is less than 2 weeks away and preparation's are being made for a hard rocking weekend :music-deathmetal:

Let's share some little tip's and tricks that make your festival experience more fun/comfortable/enjoyable...

Here's a few of mine

-Bring Berocca I find this can perk me up in the morning and prepare me for the day ahead.
-If you can bring a cheap boom box or something similar, a bit of music in the morning before hitting the arean is great.
-Eyemask's and earplugs make for a better night's sleep
-Go into the arena as early as possible and watch as many band's as possible not just the one's you know you like you never know you might discover your new favourite band.
-hide money in various place's as well as you can, don't put it all in one place place a small amount in a really obvious place, that way hopefully should your tent get raided you may only lose out on a small amount.
-bring cereal bar's they are fantastic for tiing you over until your next trip to the burger van.
-If you hear "Party Hard" by Andrew WK .................DO IT!!
"Drunk slam whale tryin to give a beejeezy"

"Born to bleed fighting to succeed built to endure what this world throws at me"

Black Wizard

Re: Let's share some survival tips guys....

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:44 pm

Gaz2k21 wrote:T
-hide money in various place's as well as you can, don't put it all in one place place a small amount in a really obvious place, that way hopefully should your tent get raided you may only lose out on a small amount.

Just keep money in a locker.

Gnarkill

Postby Gnarkill » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
Gaz2k21 wrote:T

Just keep money in a locker.

I've got a belt with zips on the inside so half my money's there half's in the locker!

mt96djc

Postby mt96djc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Always carry some toilet roll with you. And you can never have too many spare pairs of pants.

A friend of mine once tried to pass wind whilst watching Primal Scream at Reading festival and they ended up fouling themselves. Some people learn the hard way.

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:56 pm

baby wipes. Always useful to have around.

Unless the wind is mental, don't bother with guy ropes. They don't really add much to the stability of your tent and almost certainly will end up just being kicked by every drunk person walking by.
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

overagekid

Postby overagekid » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:20 am

Epic Failure wrote:baby wipes. Always useful to have around.

Yes on the baby wipes! So important. Also, I'd say duct tape.
Ripped tent: duct tape. Too hungover on monday to pack it away properly, duct tape it into a carry-able ball.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:25 am

Just throw any money, keys, wallet, phone, watch to the bottom of your sleeping bag at night. Someone may open your tent without waking you, but coping a feel in the process is a little harder.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:27 am

Epic Failure wrote:Unless the wind is mental, don't bother with guy ropes. They don't really add much to the stability of your tent and almost certainly will end up just being kicked by every drunk person walking by.

And not by any clumsy buggers... :oops:

Rick wrote:but coping a feel in the process is a little harder.

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
Epic Failure wrote:Unless the wind is mental, don't bother with guy ropes. They don't really add much to the stability of your tent and almost certainly will end up just being kicked by every drunk person walking by.

And not by any clumsy buggers... :oops:

Well, obviously that happens as well. But at least the clumsy people tend to be a touch apologetic about it.

It always amazes me the dedication some people go to in terms of pegging out their ropes. It's almost as though they feel they have to, even in utterly calm conditions.

AbsintheChris

Postby AbsintheChris » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Remember to fill up a water bottle at night. You can pretty much guarantee the water points will be busy in the morning when you're wanting to have a brew / brush your teeth / stave of the raging fires of dehydration

Xale

Postby Xale » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:55 pm

+1 on buying a locker.
Bring spare shoes, even if they're just for going home in. In 2011 wearing my damp, mud-caked converse all weekend wasn't a lot of fun.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:04 pm

Bring wellies and a regular pair of shoes. I spent a while this afternoon cleaning up both my pairs of wellies which were covered in half of Knebworth and Donington Park.

seniorcitizen

Postby seniorcitizen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Take anti-bacteria hand gel to keep your hands germ-free after a trip to those lovely toilets!

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:34 pm

I bought some today! :D

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:30 pm

take walking boots rather than wellies. If it's muddy enough to need either (which it probably shouldn't be, given the weather we've been having), a decent pair of walking boots will be way, way more comfy all day than wellies.

Hemlawk

Postby Hemlawk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:31 am

Shank or be shanked...
Hemlawk aka Eddie.

:flags-usa: :romance-grouphug: :flags-wavegreatbritain:

frakking Steve...

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:16 am

Bring lots of socks and wear suncream even if it's kind of overcast. It's amazing how the sun exposure builds up over a day.

Wear lots of layers at night, it's always frakking cold, no matter what.

If you start to feel run down, go have a shower, get some comfort food, give yourself half an hour to just chill out and then get drinking.
maschera wrote:Image Look. It's minx as a mermaid.

Apparently Camp Moocrab's resident Irish girl / mermaid Image

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:21 am

I second the walking boots recommendation - they're great for any weather, tbh. A good pair will be quite breathable even in the heat, they'll be waterproof if it cacks it down, and they're the only type of shoe that's actually good for standing up in all day long.

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:38 am

ThornDavis wrote:I second the walking boots recommendation - they're great for any weather, tbh. A good pair will be quite breathable even in the heat, they'll be waterproof if it cacks it down, and they're the only type of shoe that's actually good for standing up in all day long.

They wouldn't have cut it at the likes of Download 2012 though, the mud was at least at foot deep. For most fests I would agree.

Being a woman, I'm bringing wellies, new rocks, a pair of old converse and a pair of comfy DCs :lol:

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:23 am

lolatheminxx wrote:Wear lots of layers at night, it's always frakking cold, no matter what.

You need one of these beasts... not the lightest bag I have purchased, but I have yet to be clothed in it.

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping-bags/4-season/chrysalis-5

Edit: I also third the boots suggestion, I will have wellies in the car but normally I just leave the boots on all weekend and have my trainers in the car for driving home in.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:28 am

I just wouldn't spend that much on a slaeeping bag :P haha.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

lolatheminxx wrote:I just wouldn't spend that much on a slaeeping bag :P haha.

Thats exactly what my misses said, so she just uses mine and I get her crappy old one

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:14 pm

lolatheminxx wrote:
ThornDavis wrote:I second the walking boots recommendation - they're great for any weather, tbh. A good pair will be quite breathable even in the heat, they'll be waterproof if it cacks it down, and they're the only type of shoe that's actually good for standing up in all day long.

They wouldn't have cut it at the likes of Download 2012 though, the mud was at least at foot deep. For most fests I would agree.

Tbh, I was fine with walking boots in 2012. Put bin liners/carrier bags inside them to keep my feet dry, much better than wellies imo. Wellies are cold and uncomfortable, plus a pain to walk any distance in.

So yeah, things I'd recommend everyone takes is:
Bin liners
Duct tape
Baby wipes
Airbed or sleeping mat (its too cold to sleep on the ground)
Think everything else is stuff you'd expect.

I'd agree with the "be careful with your money" advice, its usually fine at soni, but can't be too careful.
:animals-cow:

mcmoomin

Postby mcmoomin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:52 pm

Just sat here making a shopping & packing list :D

I'd forgotten about the antibac gel - that's gone on the list!

My tips:
Don't forget to decant spirits into plastic bottles - there's always people that forget & you don't want to have to neck a bottle of voddy at the entrance :lol:
If it rains don't wear jeans - they stay wet & cold for aaaaaaaaaages!
Get a locker - you can hide money/keys & charge your phone
Take a print out of stage times (once released) saves buying official ones sold at site

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:03 pm

crap! need to decant my jager! Totally forgot - thanks for the reminder.

i swear by andrex on the go toilet rolls, no cardboard so can carry at all times, Travel Johns so that you don't have to make middle of the night, in the dark and rain, runs to the toilets, baby wipes and hand gel!
Image Image

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”