The weather...

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
Burnside

The weather...

Postby Burnside » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:50 am

Just under 2 weeks to go, and I know it may be a little early to try and predict but whats the initial reports saying? Going to be sun splitting the stones skin cancer affair, or will it be end of the world raining, build noahs ark job?

As long as Maiden are there and the WWI dog fight entertains, we'll rock out regardless. :music-rockon:

Black Wizard

Re: The weather...

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:47 am

Metcheck are suggesting that there may be some rain on the Saturday and Sunday: http://www.metcheck.com/UK/14days.asp?MonthOf=7&zipcode=Stevenage&locationID=56836&lat=51.9&lon=-0.2&findtype=

Two week forecasts aren't great though.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:16 pm

http://www.virtualfestivals.com/sonisphere-2014/weather uses the openweather API which is pretty sweet

mart356

Postby mart356 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Really hope its sunny, rain can really put a dampener (excuse the pun) on the weekend.

The Angry Koala

Postby The Angry Koala » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Metcheck are suggesting that there may be some rain on the Saturday and Sunday: http://www.metcheck.com/UK/14days.asp?MonthOf=7&zipcode=Stevenage&locationID=56836&lat=51.9&lon=-0.2&findtype=

Two week forecasts aren't great though.

Metcheck has to be the worst site ever for weather. You're better off asking your sock drawer.

They forecast 400mph winds, -38c, all day sunshine AND 100% chance of rain for my wedding day which was a pleasant 23c day with a light breeze.

I honestly don't think they could tell you what the weather was doing right now with any accuracy at all!

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Accuweather has it looking pretty good! Not TOO hot. Fingers crossed.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/knebwo ... r=7/1/2014
maschera wrote:Image Look. It's minx as a mermaid.

Apparently Camp Moocrab's resident Irish girl / mermaid Image

lrostoke

Postby lrostoke » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:03 pm

I kept checking the weather reports for Download in the run up, it changed from day to day..

In the end we had one 10 minute moment where we put a coat on :)

Tickets are brought just have to hope for the best on the days :)

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:09 pm

lrostoke wrote:I kept checking the weather reports for Download in the run up, it changed from day to day..

Of course it does. The forecast is updated every six hours with a new start point.

The 59 Sound

Postby The 59 Sound » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:51 am

Yeah these long range forecasts always keep changing....I guess from about this Thursday it will be worth looking!
Upcoming Gigs

Sonisphere!

Gaz2k21

Postby Gaz2k21 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:07 am

I'm hoping for sun myself as this is the closest thing to a holiday I'll get this year

My buddy who is ridiculously ginger is calling for overcast all weekend........
"Drunk slam whale tryin to give a beejeezy"

"Born to bleed fighting to succeed built to endure what this world throws at me"

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:10 am

Overcast is good for me. Blazing sun is horrific when you can't get any cover at all.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:20 pm

I was standing at a bus stop at 7:45 on Thursday morning and had to put a hat on because of the sun. In Scotland!

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:09 am

beginning of next week is rain up to Tuesday and I am about 15 miles from Knebworth ;(

OneZeroOneUK

Postby OneZeroOneUK » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:47 am

Yeah, long-range forecasts of specific temp ranges, winds, rain and cloud cover for a 2-3 day period are pretty unreliable (I'm sure that's news to everyone). Hence why the met office only does it for 5 days in advance.

The other sites want your traffic, so they put something up regardless of its accuracy. You might as well start cutting up animals to read their livers IMHO*.

Text forecasts will give you a ball-park estimate:

A continuation of changeable weather looks most likely, with northern areas at greatest risk of seeing some more organised and heavier rain at times, along with stronger winds than of late. The south and southeast should continue to see the best of the drier, brighter weather and consequently, the highest temperatures, rising above the seasonal average at times.

*DON'T START CUTTING UP ANIMALS TO READ THEIR LIVERS

zebby

Postby zebby » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:42 am

OneZeroOneUK wrote:Yeah, long-range forecasts of specific temp ranges, winds, rain and cloud cover for a 2-3 day period are pretty unreliable (I'm sure that's news to everyone). Hence why the met office only does it for 5 days in advance.

The other sites want your traffic, so they put something up regardless of its accuracy. You might as well start cutting up animals to read their livers IMHO*.

Text forecasts will give you a ball-park estimate:

A continuation of changeable weather looks most likely, with northern areas at greatest risk of seeing some more organised and heavier rain at times, along with stronger winds than of late. The south and southeast should continue to see the best of the drier, brighter weather and consequently, the highest temperatures, rising above the seasonal average at times.

*DON'T START CUTTING UP ANIMALS TO READ THEIR LIVERS

Dammit.

I got ahead of myself again.

Only read first half of your post and thought " you know what? Ima gonna try that"

My first dog, I used her for the friday forecast, and I think it's gonna be fine (first attempt and all that)
I was feeling much more confident when I disemboweled my other dog, much less spray and screaming...
Saturday looks good with a couple of light showers.
It was at this point that I refered back to your post to see what you had to say about the neighbour's cat and noticed your disclaimer.
Bigger font would have been appreciated, dude.
A kid once said to me “Do you get hangovers?” I said, “To get hangovers you have to stop drinking.

Lemmy

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:02 am

"Organized rain" sounds terrifying. One of few things you can be grateful about in the war with Mother Nature is that her forces are generally in complete disarray. If they actually get organized and start mounting their attacks in a co-ordinated fashion, we don't stand a chance of winning this thing.

MetalMan

Postby MetalMan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Well, if the weather stays how it has been today, then we are in for one hell of a weekend!! :music-rockon:

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:15 pm

OneZeroOneUK wrote:Yeah, long-range forecasts of specific temp ranges, winds, rain and cloud cover for a 2-3 day period are pretty unreliable (I'm sure that's news to everyone). Hence why the met office only does it for 5 days in advance.

The BBC has 10 day forecasts though and the Met Office provides the data. ;)

The 59 Sound

Postby The 59 Sound » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:04 pm

BBC Weather has it's 10 day forecast which brings us to the Thursday 3rd July. It looks great so far for the Thursday, dry and warm :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2645161
Upcoming Gigs

Sonisphere!

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:19 pm

It's been pretty dry for some time around these parts (North Herts) so I reckon the site is in great condition. A few showers might help soften the ground a bit. I'll check the weather after the weekend - hopefully Glasto will get all the rain and we'll have it nice n dry.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:31 pm

The 59 Sound wrote:BBC Weather has it's 10 day forecast which brings us to the Thursday 3rd July. It looks great so far for the Thursday, dry and warm :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2645161

That will change of course.

AlexVanHalen

Postby AlexVanHalen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:32 pm

The weather has been pretty sweet in Hertfordshire lately, I can't imagine too much will change in the next 2 weeks.
Sonisphere City Ambassador for Luton - 2011
PurpleDemon wrote:you're the worst person ever

rockgeek wrote:If you can find me at Sonisphere 2014, I shall buy you a pint... this applies to anyone

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:35 pm

You've totally gone and jinxed it now :P

Though the weather is always good at sonisphere, even when it rains it's never too bad, and the site holds out pretty well in a bit of rain. Where it's based you wouldn't expect it to be too bad in the height of summer, can't be anything worse than Leeds fest last year and I survived that

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:24 pm

I would have thought that, unless we get an absolute gooseberry load of rain in the next week, it shouldn't be too much of a problem at all, in terms of conditions under foot. The weather over the last couple of weeks will have meant that the ground should be able to soak up a reasonable amount of water without too much hassle.

To be honest, I survived Leeds 08 and Download 12; I can't imagine it could ever be half as bad as either of those were.
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:13 pm

kipper64 wrote:You've totally gone and jinxed it now :P

Though the weather is always good at sonisphere, even when it rains it's never too bad, and the site holds out pretty well in a bit of rain. Where it's based you wouldn't expect it to be too bad in the height of summer, can't be anything worse than Leeds fest last year and I survived that

There was some pretty bad rain 3 years ago. I suppose you may have been too drunk to remember that though.

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”