Does anyone 'train up' for the festival?

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
King_Walnut

Does anyone 'train up' for the festival?

Postby King_Walnut » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:04 pm

I work a job where I'm sat down pretty much all day, and then when I'm done I spend the rest of the night sitting down before going to bed and resting before a long hard day of more sitting.

Recently I've been going on 2-3 hour walks, trying to strengthen my legs and feet up so that I can better tolerate the hours I'll be stood up over the Sonisphere weekend. There's nothing worse than waiting for the headliners to come on whilst your feet are already burning with fatigue and then knowing that you have another 2 hours of that before you have to walk another half hour back to your tent. I find it can dampen the enjoyment of the headliners massively so I'm trying to offset that as much as I can by strengthening up as much as I can.

Anyone else do this? Or am I just weird.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

houston404

Re: Does anyone 'train up' for the festival?

Postby houston404 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:40 pm

Yeah I've done that for previous festivals I've been to, go for walks with leg weights on so I can get through the day without my legs turning to jelly by 5pm :lol:

Though I do a lot of walking as it is nowadays with my job so might not bother this year.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:44 am

I solve this problem by sitting down for as much of the day as I can. Only really works when it is sunny, mind, sitting in the mud ain't much fun. :D
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:30 am

I solve the problem by not going to Download
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:49 am

I have a really bad back so I tend to do back exercises before. I also drink loads of water, green tea and pasta so I remain full up and to help with hangovers.

the_arsonist

Postby the_arsonist » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:22 pm

Couple of weeks before the festival I gradually stay up later and drink more than I normally would to prepare for barely sleeping and being perpetually pissed

Upcoming Gigs: Arcane Roots, Polar, Mongol Horde, Hundredth, The Bronx, Pearl Jam, Converge, Superheaven, Heights, Parkway Drive

DanielSoniAtkins

Postby DanielSoniAtkins » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:20 pm

It's important to rock out more, make sure neck muscles survive till Sunday, u don't wanna be unable to headbang! With regards to the legs, sit down and have a beer once in a while! If they shattered allow yourself to crowd surf for a while and really relax!
:music-rockon: :text-givemebeer:

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:38 am

Yeah I do! Walnut and I were recently talking about this on Facebook. I struggle with yo-yoing weight at the best of times, but being aware that I have festival coming up where I want to enjoy myself always pushes me to do lots of walking.

I think in your late teens/early twenties most people are easily able to just party for days and be fit enough to do so. I remember in 2011 there was someone who was too tired/feet too sore to bother seeing any bands on the Saturday evening and I genuinely felt horrified that someone would go to a festival and not have the energy to see bands. In the last couple of years I’ve had a different perspective where I have struggled with my energy levels and stuff, which is very, very depressing! At Download 2012 I remember waiting for Prodigy on the Friday evening thinking “FML I just want to lie down and be warm and cosy”. With the rain and trying to walk through the thick mud and all my clothes being damp, I just honestly almost gave up wanting to see bands that weekend. I felt gooseberry though because when younger/thinner I felt indestructible and would have been hit by a bus and kept partying.

I’ve been exercising my ass off for the last 6 weeks in a bid to get stronger again and have more energy and to be able to walk/most/dance/stand for 18 hours without feeling like I’m going to die. I went swimming yesterday for the first time in 4 years. It’s tough when you have a full time job to literally get the hours in a day to exercise and eat properly, but I’m trying to make it a priority.
maschera wrote:Image Look. It's minx as a mermaid.

Apparently Camp Moocrab's resident Irish girl / mermaid Image

Piestar

Postby Piestar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:18 pm

this thread just makes me feel guilty that I do nothing :P although I am impressed, when I saw the title post and saw Adam wrote it I did just assume it would be about liver training. Well done guys, brb eating oreos

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Hahaha how to drink a keg of Desperados and not die!

2 weeks Lauren!! Eeek!

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Oh Laura you bloody genius. I'd forgotten all about those. I'll buy several immediately.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

Piestar

Postby Piestar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:32 pm

SO EXCITED.

I have actually been eating loads more fruit and veg lately so I guess that can count :P I also have a job where I potter around for most of the day...

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:40 pm

King_Walnut wrote:Oh Laura you bloody genius. I'd forgotten all about those. I'll buy several immediately.

Will you buy me one? I'll pay you for it.

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Lauren, I went to Counter Burger and had a salad. I win this thread purely on that demonstration of restraint!

Piestar

Postby Piestar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:47 pm

I can confirm that this is the most impressive feat of strength and determination I have ever heard of

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:50 pm

It wasn't too bad really, their salads are yum! I need to stop thinking about food, it's 40 mins til lunchtime :lol:

I did another practice run with my tent yesterday, managed to pack it back up and all but it is a 2 person job, unless your arms are like 6 feet long. Now I just have to get Ryanair to let me check it in :P

AbsintheChris

Postby AbsintheChris » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Go to Download, dance to Flogging Molly.

If you survive, you can handle anything. If you fall, you wouldn't have made it past the Dropkicks anyway

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:16 pm

I'll get the train up sometimes, but I prefer to drive to be honest.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

pjm56

Postby pjm56 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:13 pm

I've been lifting burning cars for weeks now in preparation... RAWWWKK!

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:20 am

I don't train up for the festival, but have started rowing to try and get a bit healthier. Doing about 30 minutes a day so should help prepare me for standing around watching bands.

If only there was a way to train your bladder to control if self after breaking the seal. thoughts?
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

overagekid

Postby overagekid » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:53 am

I'm doing a bit more exercise each day, because Festivals always take it out of me.
And I drink normally, but I've been drinking a lot more recently, trying to build up mine and the guys Im going with tolerance
(don't want him getting wasted at noon on friday and having to look after him!)

Cerpin Taxt

Postby Cerpin Taxt » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:10 am

For the booze side of things, I have a reasonable tolerance. I've never been sick from alcohol in almost 10 years of drinking, and I haven't drunk so much that I've lost control in a long long time. We do get through an incredible amount of booze at festivals though - between me and my girlfriend we probably drink a litre and a half of cheap bourbon a day. I guess it's because you drink all day lol.

As for exercise, I saw acid king yesterday, and my legs were exhausted by the end. It might have been me getting tired, but I suspect its the incredible amounts of bass going up through my legs. I might whip out the old exercise bike and prepare!
http://www.last.fm/user/Shadow2nd
1k982241

Time til we the gates burst open and we rush in like a plague upon the land:

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”