Advice for a noobie?

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
Michael_S

Advice for a noobie?

Postby Michael_S » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:33 pm

Definitely considering going. It'd be my first ever festival, first ever camping, first ever concert, even, so I'm fairly nervous. What's the general consensus on younger (17yr old) festival goers? What should I expect, and how should I prepare?

PurpleDemon

Re: Advice for a noobie?

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Are you going solo or in a group? Sonisphere 2011 was my first festival, but I was working it so I didn't have the typical "first festival" experience.

Prepare for any weather, I can't stress that enough. I dunno if there's a typical consensus on younger festival goers (unless they're under 5. seriously parents, leave your kids at home, they can survive for one weekend).

If you're taking alcohol in glass bottles, decant it yourself beforehand. You have to pay per plastic bottle otherwise and it's not fun having to wait while people decant multiple cratefuls of glass bottles (talking from - admittedly stupid - experience here).

A handheld charger is something that isn't on many lists that people will give of recommended festival gear but it does come in handy. It's easy to spend a lot over a five-day festival on phone charging stalls, while handheld chargers (if fully charged up before the festival) should last you the whole week. Search Amazon or somewhere similar for "Powergen charger" and you can usually find decent priced ones that will last (probably) forever.

The walk to the Stevenage Tesco is a long one, if you need to go then make sure you have someone to accompany you as it's a boring time otherwise. Expect it to take you anywhere up to an hour and a half to get there, grab what you need and get back in case you need to try and plan a shopping run around bands you don't want to miss.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure other boardies will be able to add more though.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

Michael_S

Postby Michael_S » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Thanks, and yes, chances are I'll be going alone. I'd hate to miss such a great opportunity to see some of my favourite bands and meet people.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:59 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:If you're taking alcohol in glass bottles, decant it yourself beforehand. You have to pay per plastic bottle otherwise and it's not fun having to wait while people decant multiple cratefuls of glass bottles (talking from - admittedly stupid - experience here)..

Being 18 helps if you're bring booze as well. I was asked for ID at the gate once. :roll:

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
PurpleDemon wrote:If you're taking alcohol in glass bottles, decant it yourself beforehand. You have to pay per plastic bottle otherwise and it's not fun having to wait while people decant multiple cratefuls of glass bottles (talking from - admittedly stupid - experience here)..

Being 18 helps if you're bring booze as well. I was asked for ID at the gate once. :roll:

Really? Didn't realise they did that, news to me.

Xale

Postby Xale » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:04 pm

I was 17 at both Sonisphere 2010 and 2011, and I had no problem with age discrimination, if that's what you're worried about. Anyway, get a locker. Keep your wallet in there; that way you won't have to worry about it being stolen. There's also a slot for a phone charger in the locker (a car charger). Bring a spare pair of shoes, maybe even invest in some wellies. I only brought converse in 2011 and having to travel all the way home in muddy canvas shoes is no fun.
I'm sure this won't apply to you, but remember that you're at a festival, not the last day on Earth. Treat other people with respect, pit etiquette etc... Some people seem to think that just 'cause they're at a festival they can act like an animal. Not cool.
Don't get too drunk, just from personal experience, I had a lot more fun in 2010 when I was tipsy than in 2011 when I was mortal. And, I know this sounds a bit daft, but enjoy yourself. When you've never been to a festival it can seem a bit daunting beforehand, but once you soak up the atmosphere it could be one of the best weekends you have :D

Edit: Going alone? Camp Loner
Also, I put my booze at the bottom of my bag. It got searched but the search was a bit lazy, the guy opened the top of my bag (and broke the zip :-x ) then told me to carry on.
Last edited by Xale on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:06 pm

Xale wrote:I was 17 at both Sonisphere 2010 and 2011

...how?

Xale

Postby Xale » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:08 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:
Xale wrote:I was 17 at both Sonisphere 2010 and 2011

...how?

My birthday's July 6th. In 2010 it was the last week of July and in 2011 the date got changed to the first week :D

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:14 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:Really? Didn't realise they did that, news to me.

Age Restrictions
Anyone who is under 16 must be accompanied by an adult (18 and over). ID will be checked.
You will not be allowed to bring alcohol into the festival unless you are 18 or over. If you cannot prove your age you will be asked to leave the alcohol at the entrance or be refused entry.

http://sonisphere.co.uk/information/

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:24 pm

It's the same at every festival, obviously they don't check absolutely everyone, but it's a risk you run I guess if you don't have ID/are underage.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:33 pm

I still get asked for ID. <_< I guess I look young. There was one pub in Birmingham that I was asked for ID in twice in one night when I was four years older than a fair number of the group I was with.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:38 pm

If I'm clean shaven I get asked ID for everything, if I get all beardy, I'm usually cool.

I once was drinking in a pub for a few hours, never got ID'd. Then a few hours later when I went to order some food (with no alcoholic drink) they decided I needed to be ID'd. WHERE'S THE LOGIC IN THAT?

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:48 pm

It might have been a member of staff who had just started. If not then God knows what the reasoning was. Perhaps burgers are age restricted in Glasgow?

I was with the same group of people on a pub crawl in Birmingham a year ago and we went to a Wetherspoons called The Square Peg where the bouncers asked some people for ID, including me and the two girls who were 5 foot tall. The 18 year old guy didn't get asked for ID though because he had a beard. Bouncers and bar staff are prejudiced against the clean shaven.

Michael_S

Postby Michael_S » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 pm

Well that makes sense, though I'm not too fussed about alcohol. (Of course, that doesn't mean I won't drink :D )
How is everything generally organised, anyway, do you just pick a spot and set your tent up when you arrive, or are you assigned a space? And how safe would items be if left in a tent?
And what do you think would be the best way of getting there, I live in Northern Ireland, so I'll most likely have to take a plane across. Should I just take a taxi from Luton, or maybe figure out a way to use one of the Big Green Coaches to meet people even before I get to the festival?

Xale

Postby Xale » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Pick your spot when you get there. Don't leave anything valuable in your tent (probably best not to take anything valuable at all, just a phone and your wallet). I've never been robbed at a festival but the people camped next to me in 2011 had £100 taken from their tent, which is why I recommend you get a locker. Don't put a padlock on your tent, it just suggests that you have something worth taking.
Can't help you with the travel though, mate, sorry. Sure some people on here will be able to though :)

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:10 am

Advice: Go to Alt fest
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

Michael_S

Postby Michael_S » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 am

Blackwater wrote:Advice: Go to Alt fest

Now why would I want to do that?

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 am

Xale wrote:Don't put a padlock on your tent, it just suggests that you have something worth taking.

I say the opposite. Put a padlock on your tent, and fill your sleeping bag with snakes. Sleep in a different tent.

Michael_S

Postby Michael_S » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:23 am

PurpleDemon wrote:
Xale wrote:Don't put a padlock on your tent, it just suggests that you have something worth taking.

I say the opposite. Put a padlock on your tent, and fill your sleeping bag with snakes. Sleep in a different tent.

That is undeniably brilliant... though how do I disguise my tracks so that I can come back next year as well?

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:26 am

Michael_S wrote:
PurpleDemon wrote:

That is undeniably brilliant... though how do I disguise my tracks so that I can come back next year as well?

Use someone else's sleeping bag. Hell, use someone else's tent. Doesn't really matter as long as there are snakes somewhere at some point during the festival.

Michael_S

Postby Michael_S » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:12 am

PurpleDemon wrote:Use someone else's sleeping bag. Hell, use someone else's tent. Doesn't really matter as long as there are snakes somewhere at some point during the festival.

Ooooh, I see. Clever. I can see how that would be beneficial for everyone, I'll be sure to do it!

add

Postby add » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:33 am

Michael_S wrote: how safe would items be if left in a tent?

generally despite the horror stories you and your possessions are generally safe everywhere at the festival however some people are arseholes and do come to these things purely to steal people gooseberry so really just exercise common sense, dont show off your valuables in public, get a locker and put anything you dont need to carry in it (most of your cash, phone, keys etc) and as said above never lock your tent up or alarm it or anything like that all it does is say you have something worth nicking and at the end of the day putting a lock on something made of canvas is moronic anyway

but yeah at the end ofthe day just try not to worry about it too much because there are a lot of horror stories about but your not actually that likely to ever run into any thieves... no more likely than walking around london

Xale

Postby Xale » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:01 am

PurpleDemon wrote:

How gutted would you be if you went back to retrieve the tent at the end of the weekend and all the snakes were stolen?

Giv1888

Postby Giv1888 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:49 am

Camping is great fun! I keep a spreadsheet of things I need to take and check them off.

Some less obious things to take are maybe; -

Binbags - I like to take these to keep the camp around me clean, it can get awfully sh*tty awfully fast with disposable BBQs, chip trays, beer cans etc etc. Maybe i'm just a considerate camper

Baby Wipes - A whores bath! no, but seriously they are usefull for everything! cleaning mud off your wellies, cleaning in general between showers, for using in the toilets when the invevitable toilet roll in the cabin is soaking of pish.

Phone battery charger - Especially if you have a smart phone you will no doubt need a charger.

Tent Light/Torch - When you come back at night it's normally pitch black so you'll need a light to find your beer or anything esle you might be rummaging around for. Better than draining your phone battery and you can leave it on, passers-by usually see your light and come over for a chat and a beer. Good thing to have. Also useful for guiding your way through tents' guy ropes!

Batteries! You'll no doubt have battery powered equipment - don't forget the batteries! haha

Water carrier - The morning after, especially if it's warm this summer, You COOK in a tent and will be gasping for a breath so have plenty of water around, try and keep it covered/shaded. I buy a cheap water carrier and fill it up on site (i assume Soni offer this?, Download do anyway). Don't go spending a quid on 500ml of water. Note* if you do buy a water carrier rinse it thoroughly before you go or you'll be drinking liquid plastic. My mates laughed at me when i brought one but they were all asking for a drink!

Prepare for all weather and bring sun cream and also a rain jacket/wellies. In the past i've used both suncream and a rain jacket in the same weekend, it's our great british weather afterall eh?

A Towel if you're planning on showering.

Painkillers - might be more important than you think if you are susceptible to the odd hangover #

Then there's obvious things like, Sleeping bag, sleeping mat, Tent, Camping Chair (get on site), suitable clothing, booze*, toiletries, food (cereal bars etc are useful), eating 3 times a day on site can be expensive when it's 4 quid for a cheeseburger.

Ok, maybe I go a bit overboard but i've always found these things useful...

*by this post I do not fully endorse underage partaking of alcoholic beverages...(but ive never saw anyone ID'd ;-) )

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:56 pm

I've never used a rollmat at a festival and never suffered for it. It's not exactly an essential, I don't think. Useful maybe, but using the space for something else won't exactly be a festival ruiner.

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”