Advice for a noobie?

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
Black Wizard

Re: Advice for a noobie?

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:15 pm

Plus it's just another extra thing to carry. You'll probably be tired enough to get some decent sleep for a while anyway, unless some guys are chanting "A human slave...in an insect nation...aaaaaaa-aaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" all night. :x

Giv1888

Postby Giv1888 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:29 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:I've never used a rollmat at a festival and never suffered for it. It's not exactly an essential, I don't think. Useful maybe, but using the space for something else won't exactly be a festival ruiner.

I've camped with and without one and i'd much rather have one than not, plus what space does it really take up? you tie it to your rucksack on the outside along with the sleeping bag? Agree it wouldn't ruin the festival right enough

add

Postby add » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:35 pm

ive always found those mat things more uncomfortable than the floor...

though one year i did take an actual camping bed, that was awesome :D

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:41 pm

I always go with a blow up mattress. Hugely comfortable, and doesn't take up any extra space because I'm not the one who brings it.

Giv1888

Postby Giv1888 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:00 pm

ThornDavis wrote:I always go with a blow up mattress. Hugely comfortable, and doesn't take up any extra space because I'm not the one who brings it.

I bought a blow up mattress on site once (was only 20quid) mainly because I was camping with my girlfriend. It was really good but not something i'm overly bothered about on my own. Didn't get a good sleep anyway as we were camped up the back of the campsite which was quite near one of the runways of east midlands airport so the noise of incoming aircraft was enough to give you a shock. :lol:

I've saw people take pool lilo's in the past, never tried one myself. Maybe try that this year...should definitely be compact enough

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:06 pm

I bought a new sleeping bag a couple of weeks ago. The last one I had was too bulky to fit in my rucksack and was a nightmare to put back in its bag. The new one is much lighter and only cost £18 in the sale at Mountain Warehouse.

Michael_S

Postby Michael_S » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:13 pm

While we're on the topic of sleeping in general, would you guys recommend the 'Quiet camping' option to a first time loner such as myself? Unlike most people my age I tend to be rather quiet and introverted so maybe that would be better

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Family camping tends to be the quieter campsite hun
Image Image

Michael_S

Postby Michael_S » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:36 pm

welshAC_81 wrote:Family camping tends to be the quieter campsite hun

Assuming Family Camping and Quiet Camping are the same thing? Regardless, would it be as fun as the proper campsite? Basically, I'd want to have fun but still get some decent relatively undisturbed sleep

TheBurningBlue

Postby TheBurningBlue » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm a bit of a noob back on these forums, as you can tell by my post count I barely posted back in the day. Was just wondering if there is any Loner Camp plans or if anybody could point me in the right direction.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a big eejit. Found it now.

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:40 am

The best advice I can give you is just enjoy yourself. My first festival was Sonisphere 2009 and things got a little difficult at times but I got through it.
You're bound to forget something essential for your first festival, so just try and soak up the atmosphere and enjoy yourself. After a few years of attending a festival, you'll find that things will be easy enough and you'll know all the bits.

Honestly, from my experience, it's just a case of learning by doing. Bring the essentials that have been listed in this thread, by all means, and the rest will work itself out. :D

You'll be at Sonisphere- which for me is the best organised festival out there. 8-)
Last edited by jonny_sniper on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU ARE THE SICKNESS IN BETWEEN.
Collect some stars to shine for you, let's start today there's only a few...

TheBurningBlue

Postby TheBurningBlue » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:05 am

First festival I went to was Download 2009. I got lucky. I turned up with a gooseberry tent, no wellies and no idea. Thankfully the weather was perfect, the guys I was with had an idea (despite it being their first time too) and everything about the festival was amazing. Some people don't get such luck (e.g. the person I went with who's 1st festival was Download 2012, with catastrophically bad weather).

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, enjoy the lineup and if you're on your own, go in camp loner because I've only heard good things. I wouldn't have dreamed of going to a festival on my own until this years' Soni lineup, but the lineup is way too good for me to turn down so I'm making the leap if none of may mates want to! If I do end up in camp loner, I hope to meet a bunch of you, especially those who are as enthusiastic about Dream Theater as I am :P

diggerboot

Postby diggerboot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Anything valuable (money, phone)keep to the minimum, keep a limited amount very close to yourself (internal pockets / money belt) and get a locker to hold the rest . Never had anything nicked myself , though the poor bugger near to us at Bloodstock had his gooseberrying tent nicked when he want to wash on the last day. All you can do is be careful ...if you're going to get ratted put everything you dont need in the locker . Soni is generally quite well policed and quite subtly , but you always run the risk of toerags nicking your stuff.

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:46 pm

I myself never had anything stolen, buy my friend who went with me in 2013 to Bloodstock got his wallet stolen at some point in the day. You ultimately can't stop it, but don't worry about it. I'd say the chances are still slim if you stay aware and take precautions. :)

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Attach your wallet to your belt with something.

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Attach your wallet to your belt with something.

I used to use one of those old school chains. Attach it to you belt or waistband, and all is good! ;)

overagekid

Postby overagekid » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Some friends had some stuff stolen a few years ago, but thats was just bad luck.
Generally your stuff should be okay, just be sensible with it.
I usually put my wallet and money and stuff in the bottom of my sleeping bag at night. Difficult getting to it without waking me up!

List of stuff to take:
Tent, Sleeping bag, chair, Beer, tinned food, disposable barbecues, kettle, peppermint tea (maybe we're just too British, but its such a good way to start a hangover day at a festival), water carriers, baby wipes, kitchen roll, disposable cutlery, torch, cling film, duct tape.
just general things like that you'll find you need, but if you forget, not the end of the world.
As seems to be general consensus, don't fret too much about what you take, just enjoy it all.

I'd say camp in normal camping, even if you're introverted. I am the same, but after some beer I'm more open and friendly, and the people at these festivals are awesome, not to be scared of.
But I don't know what the quiet camping is like, maybe it is the better choice here.

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:10 pm

I hope this newbie had a great first festival. There's nothing like your first time! 8-)

Gnarkill

Postby Gnarkill » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:55 pm

jonny_sniper wrote:I hope this newbie had a great first festival. There's nothing like your first time! 8-)

My first fest too! Had a boss time

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Gnarkill wrote:
jonny_sniper wrote:I hope this newbie had a great first festival. There's nothing like your first time! 8-)

My first fest too! Had a boss time

Well, it always helps when your first is Sonisphere! :D Download is good, Bloodstock is good, but I still haven't been to a better festival when it comes to atmosphere and enjoyment. There's something about Knebworth!

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”