Sonisphere UK 2014

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
rockgeek

Sonisphere UK 2014

Postby rockgeek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Going ahead or done for good? Recent FB replies suggest not.

mrpaul

Re: Sonisphere UK 2014

Postby mrpaul » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:15 pm

I reckon they'll try again. I'm not one of the angry ones who've written it off or say they're never going again, I'd love it to come back and for it to be part of my Summer once again.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:35 pm

rockgeek wrote:Going ahead or done for good? Recent FB replies suggest not.

None of the replies refer to 2014 and are simply about this years events.

They wouldn't be speaking about an event which is at least 18 months away, as planning for it would be in the early stages still.

Also there's a lot of cretins on the Sonisphere fb page, who have simply clicked like just to hastle people/Sonisphere and talk about going elsewhere to make it look bad.
FMC Code - 1k949287

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 pm

No, they're talking about the future in general. Get real. I'll support Sonisphere as much as the next guy but seriously... stop it.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:19 pm

I assume they'll try again, but is be surprised if they say a word until they've got something set in stone, to stop the pr cluster frakk that has been the last 12-18 months.
Especially, if like this year it doesn't go ahead again, and they'll be the guys who's festival failed 3 years in a row. If they make enquiries quietly, and nothing comes of it, its not as bad.

I'm not particularly hopeful tbh. I reckon there's a decent chance it'll come back sooner or later, especially if the European ones continue to do well, but maybe next year is pushing it.
:animals-cow:

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:18 pm

I assume that they have to start planning for it soon, we all seem to think its only when the festival has finished that they start planning for the next one .. that's probably not true.

Obviously planning takes time, money and resources .. it wouldn't be all that surprising if they made the decision to not even try.

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

add

Postby add » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:10 pm

i think theyll try... well be trying already whether that will come to fruition or not though is anybodys guess

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:10 am

What defines trying though? If trying means investing resources in yet another year that might not go ahead then they're just not gonna do that. They've wasted enough money as it is. The most 'trying' that'll happen is a meeting where figures and the general festival climate are discussed .... if they can't guarantee a massive lineup (as in, clearly better than Download's) then it won't happen.

There isn't room for Sonisphere in the UK. There never really was. Especially not now when Bloodstock is becoming more like Download's little brother.

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 am

Yeah, I remember saying even before Soni 2012 collapsed that I didn't really see there being 2 metal festivals in the UK long term, more due to lack of bands to keep lineups interesting than lack of fans willing to go to two a year, but obviously never expecting soni to implode like it did.
I mean, downloads lineup this year is hardly inspired, almost all of those bands have played a fest in the last 3 years, most within the last 2. If Sonisphere had booked some of those, it would be even more dull.

Maybe it'll return, but its far from a given where we "just need to keep faith in SG to pull something huge out of the bag" :roll:

add

Postby add » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:12 pm

i think they will try by approaching bands and actually trying to put the festival together... but i also disagree that there isnt room for 2 rock festivals there is plenty of talent around to fill 2 every year even though it will mean bands appearing at each year in year out (like they do anyway)

Its more down to the fact fans wont accept them doing something different than there being a lack of different things to do

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm

I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that an event which is expected to be at least 18 months away, isn't happening.

From what I know, headliners are spoken to 18 months in advance, that means they should be negotiating now. It really wouldn't surprise me if SG was talking to potential headliners at the end of last year, when he found out certain bands weren't touring.

As to not a lot of room in the market, people were saying that when Download first started. They also said it in 2009 when Sonisphere got going and there clearly was enough bands. The problem being certain festivals diluting the market, by booking "safe" bands every year and not giving bands an opportunity to step up to the plate. Sonisphere changed all that by bookings bands you wouldn't normally expect including some rare appearances. There's hundreds of bands out there who never get a look in, who are touring and/or have new material out.

IOW and Bestival have it right, they book who they want and say frakk you to the festival rules and end up with the most eclectic lineups every year. Whilst Livenation plods along with the same old bands and force certain up and coming bands on people by booking them every year and bumping them up to high positions on lineups.
FMC Code - 1k949287

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:12 pm

I'd love it to come back, pains me to see the eastern electrics festival in knebworth the original soni weekend. But like RG said, the comments on Lee's post by Mr soni on the fb page seems to suggest something different about the future of the fest in the uk
Image Image

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:37 pm

welshAC_81 wrote: the comments on Lee's post by Mr soni on the fb page seems to suggest something different about the future of the fest in the uk

Which post is that, the one where Mr Soni is getting annoyed at kids on fb or the one where he said 2011 might possibly be the last UK festival.

Either way, I don't see how they can say it's over for 2014, when the Summer festivals of 2013 haven't even taken place yet.
FMC Code - 1k949287

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Yeah those two, mr soni doesn't seem to be promoting the future of the festival in the uk. Which is a shame.
Image Image

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 pm

It won't be back. I know as I know stuff and stuff.

But seriously, Metalicbear give it a rest. SG will let you lick his sack whenever you want, no need to do it on a public forum. Private message him if you must.
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:56 pm

metalicbear wrote:Either way, I don't see how they can say it's over for 2014, when the Summer festivals of 2013 haven't even taken place yet.

Because its not gone ahead the last two years it actually was scheduled to? Not a great sign.

Not many people are saying they're 100% confident its not going ahead, but you seem 100% sure it is going ahead in 2014. Despite the fact you seemed just as confident for 2013.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 pm

I don't think it'll take a massive amount of effort to look into putting on a UK leg. They'll be looking into booking bands for the EU events anyways, and they're always going to be in communications with bands to secure tours and the likes so I'm sure it's something which is easy enough to pursue. It all just depends on whether any bands are willing to accept their offers and play, and a strong enough line up falls into place to make it come back. Judging by 2012/2013, the likelyhood is it's going to be just as difficult and would make you think that it's unlikely to return. But nobody can really say either way, we don't even know how the conversations with/for bands they approached this year went - obviously not enough came back as solid yes's but it could have been down to scheduling conflicts, or bands may have expressed an interest to play in future years or whatever too, so I guess we'll see.

Things like this they'll be working on all year round anyways, so I don't think it's a case of them being able to start earlier in approaching bands, nor will that have much of an influence on when bands decide to start confirming tour dates anyways. I think the comments on facebook were more just Dok being honest, it's not set in stone - never will be till bands are 100% confirmed/or till they know all their offers haven't got anywhere, so while they will try and are working on it now, there's every chance it'll go the way of this year and they won't be able to put it on, or maybe not...who knows?

houston404

Postby houston404 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:40 pm

I would like soni to come back for the sheer fact it gave metal/rock fans a more ecletic line up than DL or BOA ever have, it even put early 2000's R&L's to shame. But facing facts, since the market cannot realistically accomodate two big metal/rock festivals (with a poorer global and UK economic outlook everyday + increase in the number of niche fests like Hevy and High Voltage) I don't have high hopes for it coming back. I just hope the likes of DL take on what soni did right like taking gambles on bands instead of BFMV every year or giving smaller bands bigger slots. It is a shame if it doesn't go ahead, they were my first 3 festivals and I have great memories to boot.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Bring it back with a better PR team then we are all ace ;)

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Meh, PR doesn't mean anything in reality does it? It doesn't make the festival any better.

I just want it back with a good line up, IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK :'(

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:57 pm

Kind of does when your Facebook page is basically saying it isn't coming back :lol:

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Aye but that doesn't make the actual festival any better, it just means you get the metal hammer reading morons on your side by posting YEAH, HARDCORE, 120 DAYS TILL WE RAWK OUR SAWKS OFF AT KNEBWORTH, OH YEAAAAAAAAH. Cause that's like totally cool and stuff.

JAMEZ!

Postby JAMEZ! » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:47 pm

The only thing i can think of which gives me a bit of hope that there may be enough bands for 2 similar rock festivals in the uk is that rumour which was flying around that non-european bands didn't want to tour europe in 2013. I mean, download has a safe english band, a german band and slipknot (where corey taylor has been at atleast one uk festival in some form since 2009 (was supposed to be 2008, but Slipknot dropped out of R&L)). If sonisphere moved closer to the "bridging the gap between R&L and Download" point they seemed to be working towards, could there be place for them?

also, i know this is putting it really basically, but in terms of "straw which broke the camels back", could the fact Black Sabbath, and then Iron Maiden chose to play Download over sonisphere be the reason sonisphere hasn't had "good enough" headliners the last 2 years? i mean, Sabbath was THE band of 2012, and with the set Maiden are playing on this tour, i would say its a big pull. Just a few thoughts on the matter. Personally, i would be ecstatic if sonisphere returned. The size, the line-ups, the crowd and even the lay out (i know, that dip at saturn) made it the perfect festival. heres hoping, ey?

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 pm

I think it's no secret that DLF nabs most of the acts that Soni initially got by offering them loads more money. If rumours are true as well, DLF make a loss each year. I wouldn't be surprised if DLF and RF collaborate about the demise of Soni being that LN own DLF and own 51% of FR

Then again, just rumours...

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 am

rockgeek wrote:If rumours are true as well, DLF make a loss each year

Why would it still exist then?

I could imagine it in the early years, and yeah, the last couple of years to "fight back" against Soni, but there's surely no way it would have survived ten years without turning a profit?

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”