Stages and Tents

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
Korikon

Re: Stages and Tents

Postby Korikon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:57 am

ScreamingInCircles wrote: I didnt watch Mastodon from a good distance because they'd already played a couple of songs as Lamb of God finished, the same goes for Feeder with regards to Machine head.

I thought that Mastodon started playing as soon as Lamb of God had finished their final song - it was just talking left. In any case, LoG DID overun and Mastodon were trying to start on the intended time rather than late, hence the rapid start rather than waiting for fans to make their way over.

I will agree that more time was needed between bands though. 10 minutes would have been adequate.

jon206

Postby jon206 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 am

To all those complaining about the Sound not being perfect as soon as a band plays its for a very good reason!

The reason is because there is not a full Band Sound Check before the bands start! The sound engineers can do signal tests and get strong signals and a rough mix but there is no way of doing a band check before the band plays. With the equipment on stage being changed for every band the mic'ing up of Drums and Amps will not always be exactly the same for each.

As someone who has run live sound for different bands in one day before I thought that the guys did a great job of correcting the sound during the first song. (Especially in Metallica as the sound was awful for the first 30 Seconds!!!)

Obviously the wind drifting the sound is unavoidable!! :lol:

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:27 am

I felt that the two stages switching worked very well - meant less waiting around time for a band to come on. Would've really liked to have had a point where you could just turn around and see both stages

I suggested in another thread that the Apollo Stage could be in the area where the Right Hand Side bar and toilets were - there's a great slope down towards it and the sound desks for the two stages could, in theory, be side by side in one area. Then put the markets and toilets and other bar where Apollo is, maybe even complete with a huge beer garden type area. Would work quite nicely I reckon

Bohemia Tent - needed to be opened up a bit I reckon, especially during Thunder and Wildhearts

Jager Stage was as I expected
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

Davo

Postby Davo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Need more time between bands. 5 Mins was just not enough. Especially for those of us who like to go down the front, ended up missing opening songs etc. 10-15 mins at least I reckon.
God is dead and no one cares

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:24 pm

srreid wrote:Screens on the main stage just seemed to small, and low down - the screen at the second stage seemed a lot bigger could you not have had two of these at the main stage, and a bit higher up - but was this just an optical illusion from the size of the main stage?

I don't think the second stage screen was any bigger.. it's the old 'Father Ted' thing... little...or far away!!!

Didn't think the main stage screen were too low either.. Any higher and you are starting to crane your neck upwards too much- they were higher than any festival I can remember, probably because of the viewing issues when you got 50 yards or more back and onto the downward slope.

i did think the clarity of the screens were really good though

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:36 pm

jon206 wrote:To all those complaining about the Sound not being perfect as soon as a band plays its for a very good reason!

The reason is because there is not a full Band Sound Check before the bands start! The sound engineers can do signal tests and get strong signals and a rough mix but there is no way of doing a band check before the band plays. With the equipment on stage being changed for every band the mic'ing up of Drums and Amps will not always be exactly the same for each.

As someone who has run live sound for different bands in one day before I thought that the guys did a great job of correcting the sound during the first song. (Especially in Metallica as the sound was awful for the first 30 Seconds!!!)

Obviously the wind drifting the sound is unavoidable!! :lol:

Oh ,for sure.. even in a controlled concert environment, the sound is always 'up and down' for the first two or three songs - Which is why bands should always play their 'set fillers' first and the 'good stuff' later on!! Thing was, on the second stage, for some bands, it never got right.. Saxon in particular. It seemed to get just about right then someone tinkered with it.

On the second stage, when a band had two guitarists, it was odd that you could hear one and not the other- it seemed that one guitar played almost exclusively out of one side of the PA and the other on the other - really noticed it during Mastodon, Saxon, A7X. Maybe running a mono rig would help with that and also help with the sound drift too.

D_C

Postby D_C » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:47 pm

triaxis wrote:I felt that the two stages switching worked very well - meant less waiting around time for a band to come on. Would've really liked to have had a point where you could just turn around and see both stages

I suggested in another thread that the Apollo Stage could be in the area where the Right Hand Side bar and toilets were - there's a great slope down towards it and the sound desks for the two stages could, in theory, be side by side in one area. Then put the markets and toilets and other bar where Apollo is, maybe even complete with a huge beer garden type area. Would work quite nicely I reckon

Bohemia Tent - needed to be opened up a bit I reckon, especially during Thunder and Wildhearts

Jager Stage was as I expected

This all the way.

Plus, please show a live feed on the screen next to the stage setting up, of the opposite stage. Would be better to watch some live music, rather than sound testing when waiting for a band.

subculture hero

Postby subculture hero » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:55 pm

mark2807 wrote:showing the band playing at the time on the screens of the opposite stage instead of just a music track so those of us who want to be at the very front of one band but also don't want to miss the previous one can do so! :P

I was thinking this.

Also, as mentioned before, perhaps accounting a bit more for bands who overran - like LoG/Mastodon. I suppose if every band overran, there'd be a big overflow knock-on effect on timings, but there must be more of a solution to this than just 'leave <x band> early in order to catch the start of <y band>'.

Otherwise, I think the alternating stages worked well :) ditto what people said about Bohemia having open edges though - couldn't get in for Thunder or Corey Taylor.

han

Postby han » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:11 pm

In all I thought it was a very good effort for the first ever Sonisphere, however a few things that I think could have been changed:

It was good how the 2 stages were swapped between but could definitely do with having a bigger time gap between maybe only by 5 minutes or so.

The food stands in the middle on the hill up to the Apollo stage ended up getting in the way when there is a sudden surge of people trying to get to the stage, they could have done with being on the outisde edge. This could also help the flow of getting to the stages quicker.

The main stages could do with being at the bottom of the hill so that people can see a lot clearer and have more room

The early entry ticket holders should be nearer to the arena. I thought that the whole idea of having early entry was to get a better spot but this was not the case

It would be good to have slightly bigger screens on the stages so that people who are near the back can see and also for the disabled areas to be able to see clearer

The idea of having the opposite stage on the screens is definitely a good idea as there were a few times when I really wanted to be up front for a band which meant missing part or all of the other stage

elaineben

Postby elaineben » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:39 pm

I thought in general the alternating stages worked quite well. What I didn't like and can say I only noticed it when Avenged Sevenfold were playing that Metallica were doing there sound check. Now I know there the biggest, the best, the ones that must be obeyed, but really.
Avenged Sevenfold were brilliant tho. :music-headbanger:

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:42 pm

D_C wrote:
Plus, please show a live feed on the screen next to the stage setting up, of the opposite stage. Would be better to watch some live music, rather than sound testing when waiting for a band.

This is a good idea - just a question of sorting out the practicalities I reckon
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

Nene

Postby Nene » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:33 pm

I think the double stage thing worked really well, I loved that you didn't have to pick between two bands. Maybe 10 mins between would have been better than 5, we did leave early for most of them and still seemed to miss the first song.
The food stands could have started a little further down so it was easier to get between stages, but I did like that you could still see either stage from the other, so could still see and hear it going on if you were at the other one.

The tent was a bit stuffy and hot during some of the bands, and could perhaps have done with being a bit bigger, or the open sides as suggested would help.

I'm only short myself, so was expecting not to see a damn thing as is pretty normal at any festival or event I've been to, but I was pretty pleased that I got to see a lot more than expected, could see the stage ok and the screens were at a good hight, could have done with being a little bigger perhaps?
Can't complain about the sound either, of all the bands we saw the sound was pretty damn good.

Only thing was while waiting for someone to come on (forgotten who) there was some shitty pop album playing in the background, that was a bit of a mood killer and didn't get us hyped up for the band that was coming on ;)

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Nene wrote: Only thing was while waiting for someone to come on (forgotten who) there was some shitty pop album playing in the background, that was a bit of a mood killer and didn't get us hyped up for the band that was coming on ;)

Yeah, half the time you couldn't hear the music that went with the videos being shown because there was sound testing going on. But even when you could, it was rarely anything decent :(

chadisgod

Postby chadisgod » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:21 pm

i thought the stages and the sound were awesome apart from the odd band where the sound was a bit off but i dont really care it was an epic 4 days for me and i can't wait till' next year. By the way how awesome were ANTHRAX?
Rotten To The Core

Me with Brian from shadows fall ^^^ and with Ivan from 5FDP in my avatar.

Wet t-shirts: let's do this gooseberry

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:36 pm

chadisgod wrote:i thought the stages and the sound were awesome apart from the odd band where the sound was a bit off but i dont really care it was an epic 4 days for me and i can't wait till' next year. By the way how awesome were ANTHRAX?

I quite liked the "We want Bush!" chanting that went on through it. I have to say though, I couldn't exactly enjoy the set much as I was being pressed up right by the barrier against some big bird. And she was miles taller than me and blocking my view as well grrr. They sounded awesome live though.

kazz

Postby kazz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:52 pm

erm... in my opinion...

perhaps stage one and stage two locations should be swapped over as the bigger bands (ie: metallica and linkin park) would then have the slope going down towards the stage so people would be staggered if you know what i mean.

i know that its like a major change but it would help all us little people. (who couldn't climb on top of other people).

just an idea thats all.

:)
roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

chadisgod

Postby chadisgod » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Korikon wrote:
chadisgod wrote:i thought the stages and the sound were awesome apart from the odd band where the sound was a bit off but i dont really care it was an epic 4 days for me and i can't wait till' next year. By the way how awesome were ANTHRAX?

I quite liked the "We want Bush!" chanting that went on through it. I have to say though, I couldn't exactly enjoy the set much as I was being pressed up right by the barrier against some big bird. And she was miles taller than me and blocking my view as well grrr. They sounded awesome live though.

i'm hoping they are gonna re-record their new album with bush and go on tour i cant wait to see them again, the only bad part was when some guy got knocked out in the pit to caught in the mosh was an awesome pit though
Rotten To The Core

add

Postby add » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:04 am

rockgeek wrote:Work well? Sound? Should they be directed different ways to take into account the slope? Shoudl Bohemia have sides dropped so people can see (I don't think this is possibly as license says no music after a particular time)? Did the swapping from one stage to the next work for you?

dont know about sonispheres licence but the Isle of wight in 2008 had feeder on in the tent after they had to shut off the sound from the main stage and it had open sides because i remember watching from outside

would be a great thing for sonisphere to look intobecause it is a shame for people to miss bands that they want to see because of something like the tent getting full

iamthealienleader

Postby iamthealienleader » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:40 pm

i agree, the main stage being at the top of a hill was a pain, could hardly see and im tall (6ft!!! lol). brill to have the bands staggered tho, but i did miss quite a bit of bullet for my valentine just so i could get kinda close to linkin park (but worth it i loved em :music-rockon: )
ImageImageImage

Driftwood

Postby Driftwood » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Anthrax blew me away! Deffo one of me favs

chadisgod

Postby chadisgod » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Driftwood wrote:

Anthrax blew me away! Deffo one of me favs

hopefully they will re-record their new album with bush and then go on tour cant wait
Rotten To The Core

kill

Postby kill » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:44 pm

The one thing I noticed that was missing was a screen on the back of the sound towers, most festivals have them....maybe next year when the secret of sonisphere makes it to the general public..

jon206

Postby jon206 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:57 am

triaxis wrote:
D_C wrote:

This is a good idea - just a question of sorting out the practicalities I reckon

Not very difficult to sort out afaik!! :D

Grables

Postby Grables » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:20 pm

A few ideas about the 2 stages.

1) have screens on the back of control towers

2) more importantly, when a stage is running, DO NOT have the other stage sitting there playing music out of the PA. What it should do, is on the screen by the unused stage is have what you can see on the screens by the stage that is being used and as long as there is no music coming out of the PA, people that are by a stage waiting for a band can still sort of watch and listen to bands that are currently playing on the other stage. My reason for this is because some people end up missing bands that they sort of wanted to see, just so they could get to the front for a band thats more important to them.

robzbase

Postby robzbase » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:19 pm

I agree with what everyone seems to be sayin, most things were great but i have a few points:

> STREAM THE LIVE STREAM FROM THE OTHER STAGE ON THE UNUSED SCREENS!!!!!
> Have at least one more screen on the right of the second stage (i have never seen a festival stage with just the one screen)
> Move the market stalls from in-between the two stages

Apart from that i think for its first year and to try something different for a new festival, overall it was very very well organised and laid out!

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”