Misc

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
subculture hero

Re: Misc

Postby subculture hero » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:56 am

dave_nicholls wrote:I appreciate Sonisphere is in its first year and in all likeliness we'll give next year a go, however I have to say I'm disspointed by this year at the moment (ready for people to argue with me here about how they thought it was amazing so on so forth, this is my opinion!).

I thought there were a minority of people there who were there simply to get pissed and cause trouble. There were groups in the campsite who were bragging about how they got a young lad (who was there for his first festival) so hammered he had to be taken off by an ambulance. 2 other lads passed out on the path in the campsite and 2 coppers and 2 "staff" walked past them looking the other way so as not to get involved.

2 quid for a bottle of water is not justifiable by anyone for any reason, that is pure extortion. The only slight reprise on that was the tea tent who charged 1.50 per bottle.

The only other thing was that people really need to learn what a bin is and is for. The ground on Sunday was covered in peoples shite from food, drink etc etc so there was no chance of sitting down without ending up on a plate of noodles or the like, how hard is it to put stuff in the bin when it's done with!!! Same in the campsite where people were throwing it over the fence, there's just no need for it. It didn't help that the staff who were meant to be collecting litter were too busy drinking and messing about.

Here's hoping next year is more organised!

Obviously this is your own opinion, but I would say that all of the things you've mentioned are either present, or worse, at other festivals. I would say the point about people causing trouble would be much more suited to Reading - I for one didn't see any bonfires, fireworks in the campsite, or tent-burnings at Soni, while at Reading they seemed to be pretty common.

£2 is standard for drinks at festivals - Download, Soni, and R&L. I suppose you could say that just because others do it, it doesn't make it right - and you'd be perfectly correct because outside of a festival environment you'd never pay that much for a bottle of coke. On the other hand, you mentioned bottles of water, and there were free taps dotted around the campsites and in the arena, so to be fair to Soni, they were providing free water for those who wanted it.

And while I agree with your litter comments (for example, the arena was absolutely covered in those Skindred leaflets on Saturday morning), it's not really Soni's fault that people think it's acceptable to litter. Although there were people meant to be cleaning up, I doubt it really becomes priority until Monday morning when I assume the cleanup proper begins.

ktdude

Postby ktdude » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:17 am

I thought the atmosphere was second to none. Had just the right balance - which I think to be honest will disappear over the years as it gets bigger, like any other festival, but this year was pretty much spot on:

- the campsite - was laid back, relaxing, chilled and safe, with plenty of space. Just exactly how you want it to be.
- the arena - brilliant, electric atmosphere for most of the bands, people seemed to really enjoy themselves, more than at some other gigs and festivals I've been too.

Chubs

Who was the man in the nude ?

Postby Chubs » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody know who the man was in the nude carrying the flag ?

Found it hilarious after Metallica when they pulled his pants down !

Roll on 2010.................

ktdude

Postby ktdude » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:49 pm

subculture hero wrote:
dave_nicholls wrote:I appreciate Sonisphere is in its first year and in all likeliness we'll give next year a go, however I have to say I'm disspointed by this year at the moment (ready for people to argue with me here about how they thought it was amazing so on so forth, this is my opinion!).

I thought there were a minority of people there who were there simply to get pissed and cause trouble. There were groups in the campsite who were bragging about how they got a young lad (who was there for his first festival) so hammered he had to be taken off by an ambulance. 2 other lads passed out on the path in the campsite and 2 coppers and 2 "staff" walked past them looking the other way so as not to get involved.

2 quid for a bottle of water is not justifiable by anyone for any reason, that is pure extortion. The only slight reprise on that was the tea tent who charged 1.50 per bottle.

The only other thing was that people really need to learn what a bin is and is for. The ground on Sunday was covered in peoples shite from food, drink etc etc so there was no chance of sitting down without ending up on a plate of noodles or the like, how hard is it to put stuff in the bin when it's done with!!! Same in the campsite where people were throwing it over the fence, there's just no need for it. It didn't help that the staff who were meant to be collecting litter were too busy drinking and messing about.

Here's hoping next year is more organised!

Obviously this is your own opinion, but I would say that all of the things you've mentioned are either present, or worse, at other festivals. I would say the point about people causing trouble would be much more suited to Reading - I for one didn't see any bonfires, fireworks in the campsite, or tent-burnings at Soni, while at Reading they seemed to be pretty common.

£2 is standard for drinks at festivals - Download, Soni, and R&L. I suppose you could say that just because others do it, it doesn't make it right - and you'd be perfectly correct because outside of a festival environment you'd never pay that much for a bottle of coke. On the other hand, you mentioned bottles of water, and there were free taps dotted around the campsites and in the arena, so to be fair to Soni, they were providing free water for those who wanted it.

And while I agree with your litter comments (for example, the arena was absolutely covered in those Skindred leaflets on Saturday morning), it's not really Soni's fault that people think it's acceptable to litter. Although there were people meant to be cleaning up, I doubt it really becomes priority until Monday morning when I assume the cleanup proper begins.

Agreed. Nothing mentioned in the original post quoted here is different at any other UK festival. You always get lairy drunkards, litter and expensive food and drink. It was no better or worse for those things than Reading, Download or doubtless all the other major festivals.

loulouk

Postby loulouk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:30 pm

Litter - at the very least they had recycling points. Which was more than other festivals I've been to have bothered with. But there just don't seem to be enough actual normal bins at festivals in general. The ones I did see were half empty cos they were in weird out of the way places and as a result were being used as urinals by lads instead.

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:18 pm

loulouk wrote: But there just don't seem to be enough actual normal bins at festivals in general. The ones I did see were half empty cos they were in weird out of the way places and as a result were being used as urinals by lads instead.

This, seriously. To the guy who was complaining about us thinking it was "acceptable to litter rather than throw it in the bin" .. my first response was what bins? I mean I wasn't specifically looking out for them but I can recall seeing hardly any dotted around the arena and even worse, around the campsite. What do you honestly expect at a festival, that every single one of those 50,000 people is going to take a massive hike to the nearest bin just so they don't throw a crisp packet on the ground? I think we need to be a bit more realistic.

superblonde

Postby superblonde » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:30 pm

bodiesinflight57 wrote:
Dex wrote:At first I thought the placement of Feeder after Lamb of God, Mastodon and Machine Head was barmy. But it turns out it worked perfectly as a bit of respite, and they actually got one of the bigger crowds on Saturn. Not only that, but the crowd took to them extremely well, which, as a fan of theirs, I was pleased about. And they were relieved, too!

I agree...I was wearing my Feeder t-shirt expecting to have abuse hurled at me (and at the band) but they went down really well

Problem was the different genres of fans thought it should all be about one type of Rock/Metal..where as it included bits of everything..something for everyone.I loved it!

I love Feeder! But I also love Tallica, Linkin and loads of the others and Grant is easy on the eyes too :oops:

My only gripe is that as festival there should have been some stuff for kids to do. Music isnt just for adults - my 6 yr old loves some of the artists but i didnt take him too close. would be fab if there had been a "creche" style indoor tent, games etc, Im sure youd have had no problem getting a sponsor, and as a single parent i could then have stayed to watch the later bands!!!!!

Id have quite happily paid good money to an onsite nannytent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

superblonde

Postby superblonde » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:34 pm

would have been good if there had been more security to weed out the weirdos tho - harmless weirdos are great, but keep it covered!!! Ive been to many a festival, theres no need to allow full on nudity..im there for the music, not to see naked people and worry bout cups of wee being thrown near my son.

or does that sound too girlie..

binlid

Postby binlid » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:16 pm

there seems to be alot of gripes on here so il get mine out of the way at the start

when i read that guitar hero winners were going to play the main stage i thought it was a great idea to make some wee mans dream come true. when i entered the competition for next years sonisphere and saw that they were sceduled to play before every band on the apollo stage i started to change my mind but when that first 'band' stepped out before anthrax and that wee girl who couldnt even find the bucket let alone carry a tune in it started i lost all interest in it and joined the booing. i realise that there was sponsership issues but im sorry the patter from those introducing the so called bands only iritated me more especially that blonde thing in the white torn jeans who offered to sleep with everyone if we appreciated the following joke band ,my response was that she wasnt worth it :D i would have been much happier watching the best of the jackson guitar stage playing on the apollo stage after all that would be actually promoting future music rather than just the ability to push coloured buttons. maybe you could have a think about that for next year as it might just get some kid noticed and nurtured and some day able to return to bohemia or higher with their own band.

i was happy with the campsite(except the 16 yo virgin who insisted on bragging at full volume about his non exixtance sexual exploits and his horrendous drinking and drug habbits at 3am but hey life goes on :lol: )
food was good though as id lost all my money on the way in( to the person who found my walet and kept it i hope you develope disfiguring genetal warts)i didnt get the chance to sample it all but i thought some of the prices surprisingly reasonable
as my 16yo was at her first festival and decided to join the lamb of god and machine head pits she took alot of blows to the head which led to her being knocked out by a crowd surfer who kicked her in the face(i am at a loss why he was kicking out at the time)during lb's set later i was impressed by the medical attention she received once the stewards had got her out of the crowd though i was very upset by the orange stewards who tried to stop me running after my daughter believe me the first one who grabbed me was lucky he didnt get headbutted at the time but that was my only gripe about that . i found the st johns staff very friendly and helpful though i was a bit surprised when we were allowd to leave and wander around behind the scenes so much not that i complained :D
all in all an excellent weekend i will be back next year and my daughter will be prepared for the pite next year

twigglet

Postby twigglet » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:05 pm

had a blast at the festival- truly an awesome time. Thank you Team Sonisphere. :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow:

...But next year can there be more bins or at least an attempt by people to clear up more? The litter on the ground by Sunday was ridiculous!

Oh and massive thanks to the divvy who threw the 3/4 full bottle of coke that landed painfully on my shoulder just before Metallica came on! :music-tool:
You obviously intended for it to hurt someone or you wouldn't (as most people were doing) have screwed the lid on so that non of the weight came out of it. It was a good thing it wasn't a young kid who it landed on as we werent stood anywhere near the pit area. :twisted:

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:09 pm

twigglet wrote:Oh and massive thanks to the divvy who threw the 3/4 full bottle of coke that landed painfully on my shoulder just before Metallica came on! :music-tool:
You obviously intended for it to hurt someone or you wouldn't (as most people were doing) have screwed the lid on so that non of the weight came out of it. It was a good thing it wasn't a young kid who it landed on as we werent stood anywhere near the pit area. :twisted:

I got thunked on the head by a sprite bottle while waiting for Limp Bizkit. It's still stinging now, but at the time I just laughed it off coz what can you do, really? It wasn't nearly as bad as the guy who had a bag of wine burst all over his head.

Shewolfmegadeth

Postby Shewolfmegadeth » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:46 pm

I had an amzing time, I loved the layout, I loved the atmosphere. Best festival I have been to yet. Felt totally safe the whole time I was there. xx
UP THE IRONS!

skinnyeddy

Postby skinnyeddy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:56 pm

yeah, where were the bins? Most people near us found it easier to throw stuff over the hedge or 'The Bin' as it was known. On Friday morning there was a pile of black bags near-ish to the entrance which I chucked a bag of rubbish on other than that which had gone the next day and the recyling bins...nothing.
I thought it was amazing how many cans were on the floor in Bohemia at anyone time, like a sea of cans.

luks

Postby luks » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:56 am

It wasn't so much the litter on the floor that bothered me, more the people who actually tipped their left over food onto the floor then tossed the empty packet down next to it. Unneccesary!!

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:02 am

My only grip would be the strippers in the FMC party! What was that about?? As far as I'm concerned everyone was having a deadly time with the music and then the atmosphere was totally killed with the 'burlesque' dancing!! It was shite! All it did was give prepubescent boys a gizz moment but it was boring, poorly done and completely unnecessary!
My FMC Number:1k992916 DO NOT miss Sonisphere 2014- be there..be part of the magic!!!

ImageImage

fatperson

Postby fatperson » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Someone mentioned overhearing someone complaining about swearing in front of their kid, doh, well they shouldn't take a child if they don't want them to hear any ripe language. what is wrong with people?

He he, my 11 year old lad couldn't care less about the swearing, but the wife, on the other hand, was tut-tutting the whole bloody weekend.

Take the kids, leave the wives at home!

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:22 pm

fatperson wrote:He he, my 11 year old lad couldn't care less about the swearing, but the wife, on the other hand, was tut-tutting the whole bloody weekend.

Bet she loved Limp Bizkit, Machine Head, and Lamb of God then

;)
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

Serpentine

Postby Serpentine » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:23 pm

ktdude wrote:I thought the atmosphere was second to none. Had just the right balance - which I think to be honest will disappear over the years as it gets bigger, like any other festival, but this year was pretty much spot on:

- the campsite - was laid back, relaxing, chilled and safe, with plenty of space. Just exactly how you want it to be.
- the arena - brilliant, electric atmosphere for most of the bands, people seemed to really enjoy themselves, more than at some other gigs and festivals I've been too.

Forget UK fests. Go Hellfest. It was way better.
jadeylemonadey wrote:I LOVE RYAN RUSSELL
jadeylemonadey wrote:you personify awesome

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:50 pm

fatperson wrote:
Someone mentioned overhearing someone complaining about swearing in front of their kid, doh, well they shouldn't take a child if they don't want them to hear any ripe language. what is wrong with people?

He he, my 11 year old lad couldn't care less about the swearing, but the wife, on the other hand, was tut-tutting the whole bloody weekend.

Haha yeah I saw some guy in front of us get told off by his other half for swearing because there was a 9,10 year old kid behind us. I think his response was to just shout the C word loudly.

Those kids're gonna learn these words eventually, might as well be while rocking out to some kickass music.

Serpentine

Postby Serpentine » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Korikon wrote:Haha yeah I saw some guy in front of us get told off by his other half for swearing because there was a 9,10 year old kid behind us. I think his response was to just shout the C word loudly.

Those kids're gonna learn these words eventually, might as well be while rocking out to some kickass music.

The more often, and earlier they hear it, the less offensive it will be to them. Its just a word. I hate people who get annoyed at people swearing in front of their children.
jadeylemonadey wrote:I LOVE RYAN RUSSELL
jadeylemonadey wrote:you personify awesome

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Exactly. Yeah there's a risk of kids who might try to immitate what they hear and go around starting to say frakk inappropriately, but to be honest even I used to swear a lot more when I was 13 and it's something I outgrew fairly quickly. I reckon, if anything, it's better for us to be lessening the taboo of swearing, because it's not the big deal anymore that people make it out to be..

Nene

Postby Nene » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:46 pm

I agree about the bins, don't recall seeing any in the camp site, or arena, just a couple of the recycling bins toward the arena entrance that were just getting used as regular bins by the look of it.
The only other thing that there didn't seem to be any information about what was going on. We didn't really get the monster camp thing, and there was never anything on it when we happened to be near. Heard the sirens from a distance but that was it.
We did get a lanyard program as we came in so knew when the bands were on, but a bit more information out and about would have been good.

Over all, I loved the size, atmosphere and the line up was fantastic, especially on the Sunday. Sonisphere kicked downloads arse, will certainly be back next year!

Danger Man

Postby Danger Man » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:05 pm

Serpentine wrote:
Korikon wrote:Haha yeah I saw some guy in front of us get told off by his other half for swearing because there was a 9,10 year old kid behind us. I think his response was to just shout the C word loudly.

The more often, and earlier they hear it, the less offensive it will be to them. Its just a word. I hate people who get annoyed at people swearing in front of their children.

At a festival, swearing is to be expected. If people don't want their kids to hear it then they are not ready for a festival. On the other hand there are places it is totally out of place. McDonalds or a supermarket, for example. Use common sense.

pyrateprincess

Postby pyrateprincess » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:59 pm

one thing ive just remembered, where were all the fast track lanes?

i find it highly annoying and inconvinient carrying heavy loads to and from the car and each time to get back in we had to go in the queue with everyone else.

next year they should do a couple of lanes for people who already have their wristbands and are coming in and out cos waiting to get in the second time with loads of heavy bags was horrible

ktdude

Postby ktdude » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:49 pm

Serpentine wrote:
ktdude wrote:I thought the atmosphere was second to none. Had just the right balance - which I think to be honest will disappear over the years as it gets bigger, like any other festival, but this year was pretty much spot on:

Forget UK fests. Go Hellfest. It was way better.

I know, I want to.

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”