Misc

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
Korikon

Re: Misc

Postby Korikon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:09 pm

deadwing wrote:Well, for starters, they COULD have announced it to the crowd as it built up to see them for the 40 odd minutes or so leading up to the scheduled start time- they must have knew then what was happening because FACT's gear had to be set up. Had they mentioned it even 15 minutes before they did it would have allowed people to make decisions about who they wanted to to see. As it happens that time was my only major clash of the festival as I really wanted to see Exit Ten as well as CoCa - an early annuoncement or 'Update' screens would have allowed me to head back down the hill and see all of their set rather than the three songs I managed to catch.

The whole Coheed thing had another knock on- It meant they clashed with H&H who I was also looking forward to seeing!

I knew about CoCa being replaced by Fact about 15 mins after Anthrax had stopped playing, but only because we were told by a member of the security at the front. So why they didn't announce it then and save the disappointment felt by everyone who turned up hoping to see them is beyond me. I did think it was harsh that Fact got bottled by the crowd - it wasn't their fault, after all.

The knock on for me was that after Anthrax, my mate and I were right up against the barriers in the middle. Where I wanted to be for Linkin Park, and we'd planned to stay there to see the final 3 acts on the main stage. But because we had to go to Bohemia, I lost that place and was in a really shitty place when we did watch LP ¬__¬

jon206

Postby jon206 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Anyone complaining about CoCa being moved should be complaining to the people who organised the bands travel arrangments.

I mean come on, if you have a ferry to catch you get there in time!!! :?

metalmac

Postby metalmac » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:08 pm

I don't care what anyone says..i had a great time on both days, Anthrax and Airbourne stood out for me. My daughter got her picture taken with Bill kelliher(mastodon) who was out watching AIC (nice guy). I will definitely be going next year.I hope the sonisphere team learn from this first one to make this event the best festival britain has to offer.

beLIEveR

Postby beLIEveR » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:33 pm

The wristbands were pretty flimsy. My FMC wristband came off during A7X. I'm not too fussed about that, but if that had been my weekend one I could have had serious problems.

On a related note I was very happy that people were having their wristbands checked on the way out on Sunday. It did cause me a bit of inconvenience as the girl who gave me a lift home was a day ticketer, but I think it was a good move nonetheless.

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:56 pm

at the saturn stage if you hung back to listen from a distance the sound was crap, and i mean real crap. didnt do bullet any help.

i think that the screens needed more them them, mabey show whats going on, on the other stage with a few adds ect. gives people something to watch while waiting and may help the band if something looks bad
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

~Adma~

Postby ~Adma~ » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:20 pm

I wandered over from staff camping to the different areas on Friday night (around 3:00am) it was quiet! Irrelvant of the fact bands were starting about 9hrs later, there was a real lack of anything happening. I've never come across that at Download or Leeds.
Worked On The Information Tents @ Sonisphere

Bring on S10!

loulouk

Postby loulouk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:33 pm

Atmosphere - definitely noticed it was different to Download. DL is intense, insane and a little bit like being hurled into a washing machine at full throttle. Someone else mentioned London gig goers - they're right. Atmosphere at London gigs is very different, people stand and get shitty when people push past them. It all felt terribly polite down near the stages and it was a bit odd, someone was glaring at my bloke for swearing. Yes, fine, family festival but ffs wtf?
Linkin Park were better than I expected, Bjorn Again were hilariously cheesy and NiN broke my heart. I wanted screaming anger but got one of the most heartfelt, musically genius, devastating sets I've ever seen from a band.
I adored the Jager Truck. Exit Ten and Me Vs Hero along with tonnes of others were genius and we loved the Northern theme on the Sunday ;)

EvilFairy

Postby EvilFairy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:42 pm

Generally a brilliant weekend. Had persuaded my hubby to go to his first festi and he really enjoyed it. Commented on the lack of prats etc.. after listening to me complain about Reading for the last few years! Well done Sonisphere - we can't wait until next year! C U then :P :D

fatperson

Postby fatperson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:07 pm

~Adma~ wrote:I wandered over from staff camping to the different areas on Friday night (around 3:00am) it was quiet! Irrelvant of the fact bands were starting about 9hrs later, there was a real lack of anything happening. I've never come across that at Download or Leeds.

Well I'm not sure if you missed our corner because I know that people were partying all night and were still going when we got up Saturday morning.

Dear wifey (attending her first proper festival!) came over all motherly and suggested to a couple of guys that they should get some sleep or they'd have no energy left for the weekend - bless her!

Anthonytats

Postby Anthonytats » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:34 pm

fatperson wrote:
~Adma~ wrote:I wandered over from staff camping to the different areas on Friday night (around 3:00am) it was quiet! Irrelvant of the fact bands were starting about 9hrs later, there was a real lack of anything happening. I've never come across that at Download or Leeds.

Well I'm not sure if you missed our corner because I know that people were partying all night and were still going when we got up Saturday morning.

Dear wifey (attending her first proper festival!) came over all motherly and suggested to a couple of guys that they should get some sleep or they'd have no energy left for the weekend - bless her!

Yh i was gonna say...
When i woke up on the friday morning around 4 to go hospital... ppl were shouting and everything...
Sat the noise didnt stop till about 5 in the morning where we were...
And sunday no one got any sleep lol...
Great atmosphere at the EB campsites :)
GearsCT wrote:You have such a huggable face

fade_to_jack wrote:i love anthony, he is my favourite boardie from sonisphere :bow-yellow:

AllFallD0wn

Postby AllFallD0wn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:48 pm

Dear Team Sonisphere.

This weekend has been one of the best of my life. You managed to get an amazing line-up including some of my most favourite bands in the world, including Avenged Sevenfold, The Used, Machine Head, Bullet for my Valentine, Linkin Park, Cancer Bats, etc. Even some bands that are by no means my favourite, but are great to see live, such as Metallica, Thunder, Airbourne, and as you know, many more great bands.

As soon as I saw one of the first posters for Soni, I knew it was going to be amazing, but I couldn't have guessed it would be this fabulous. I just wanted to thank you for all the hard work you put in to this great weekend. There was also one more thing you did for me that made this weekend an extreme once in a lifetime opportunity, and 10 times better for me.

If you already don't know what this is, it was allowing certain boardies (myself included) to choose a band to see backstage. I decided upon Avenged Sevenfold, and I have not looked back on this decision. This made my festival so much more amazing, meeting the five men who make up one of my favourite bands, so just once more, thanks a lot to you, for making this festival possible, and Zee for chasing it up for me :D

Forever in your debt,

AllFallD0wn
FMC CODE : 1k919055 - BEERS IF YOU USE IT :D

alexcore wrote:LOVE YOU REALLY MY LONG HAIRED MUNCHKIN :D

metallica_girl

Postby metallica_girl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:55 pm

I was annoyed at having to choose between Coheed and Heaven and Hell.

I also thought there weren't nearly enough Posh Wash cubicles to meet demand. I queued for an hour and gave up, went back the my tent and boiled a kettle to have a quick freshen up.

And (last complaint, I promise) flags should have been banned from the mosh pit while Metallica were on. If it was you with the Wales or Israel flag it served you right, you ignorant gits. (and if I could have got to either the rat-a-tat-tat with the jolly roger flag or Zimbabwe flag he'd have lost his as well).

And who the hell was throwing lemons round the mosh pit? Who the hell throws a lemon? :lol:
Knebworth 2011 - Big 4. You know it makes sense.

urbansickness

Postby urbansickness » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:00 pm

yeh, im all up for a few flags to liven things up, but even during a7x there were more flags then people. :roll:
For all photographers or urban explorers use my FMC code :) 1k964248

Image Image

lucy351132

Postby lucy351132 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:19 pm

urbansickness wrote:yeh, im all up for a few flags to liven things up, but even during a7x there were more flags then people. :roll:

Yeah, totally agree with the flag rants. It's ok when there is a smaller crowd, as you can move around the flags, but when you are hemmed in from every side...well, they should be taken down.

Someone even took flags into the tent for Corey's set...I mean...for Christ's sake!!! :doh:

dave_nicholls

Postby dave_nicholls » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:25 pm

I appreciate Sonisphere is in its first year and in all likeliness we'll give next year a go, however I have to say I'm disspointed by this year at the moment (ready for people to argue with me here about how they thought it was amazing so on so forth, this is my opinion!).

I thought there were a minority of people there who were there simply to get pissed and cause trouble. There were groups in the campsite who were bragging about how they got a young lad (who was there for his first festival) so hammered he had to be taken off by an ambulance. 2 other lads passed out on the path in the campsite and 2 coppers and 2 "staff" walked past them looking the other way so as not to get involved.

2 quid for a bottle of water is not justifiable by anyone for any reason, that is pure extortion. The only slight reprise on that was the tea tent who charged 1.50 per bottle.

The only other thing was that people really need to learn what a bin is and is for. The ground on Sunday was covered in peoples shite from food, drink etc etc so there was no chance of sitting down without ending up on a plate of noodles or the like, how hard is it to put stuff in the bin when it's done with!!! Same in the campsite where people were throwing it over the fence, there's just no need for it. It didn't help that the staff who were meant to be collecting litter were too busy drinking and messing about.

Here's hoping next year is more organised!

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:36 pm

dave_nicholls wrote:I thought there were a minority of people there who were there simply to get pissed and cause trouble.

In what way is this Sonisphere's fault? :?

wikkid_devil

Postby wikkid_devil » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:02 pm

Fantastic weekend, almost spoilt by the utter fracknuts who decided to start a pit in the main arena because they were too lazy, moronic, pissed or afraid to get into the pit proper during Metallica's set.

Many frightened kids and dimunitive types getting buffetted by these cretins who, judging from their conversation (Ithink that's what the grunting, farting and belching was), were not rock fans, they just wanted to be "Where the agro was".

Glad to say I'm 6'5" and 16 stone (unlike my missus), and the guys either side of me (also with diminutive partners or kids) were of similar dimensions and equally unimpressed by this behaviour.

One little cnut (yes you with the mohican and leather jacket) landed amongst us and promptly learned to fly.

There are pits, you wanna mosh get in the pit. If you don't have the balls then frack off. Don't spoil it for the rest of the fans!

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:44 pm

metallica_girl wrote: And (last complaint, I promise) flags should have been banned from the mosh pit while Metallica were on. If it was you with the Wales or Israel flag it served you right, you ignorant gits. (and if I could have got to either the rat-a-tat-tat with the jolly roger flag or Zimbabwe flag he'd have lost his as well).

And who the hell was throwing lemons round the mosh pit? Who the hell throws a lemon? :lol:

That pissed me off so much. I recall a "burn the flags" chant being started for whoever had those the Anarchy and Italy (I think?) ones.

And I found it was the bananas going from side to side in pits that was funnier. Better yet when you saw the banana fly from right to left, then a few seconds later only the skin was launched back. Midday snack anyone? ;)

tay

Postby tay » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:49 pm

Wristbands need to be thicker, and have a better clasp. Mine's on its way to being no longer attached to my arm (and was starting to be this way on Friday evening).

Driftwood

Postby Driftwood » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:58 pm

Overall I was really impressed with Sonisphere, muchly enjoyed a lot of the bands & I liked the different combo of bands, twas like a hard rock anthology. I found the juxtaposition of alternative hard bands with popular more moderate bands interesting & exciting, who knows a new sound might just be created as a result... There was a friendly atmosphere & wide range of people which was good. Thankage! Deffo going again :P

metallica_girl

Postby metallica_girl » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:21 am

wikkid_devil wrote:
One little cnut (yes you with the mohican and leather jacket) landed amongst us and promptly learned to fly.

Ahhhhh! So that explains it! We heard about someone complaining he'd been hurt because he was moshing and then found himself surfing when he hadn't intended to :lol: and we wondered what that was all about since we were in the pit during Metallica and saw no signs of the incident. Some people just can't resist acting like total fcukwits.
Knebworth 2011 - Big 4. You know it makes sense.

Daviephd

Postby Daviephd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:28 am

Great Festival!

I could hardly believe this was the first year, My only fear is that you may have peaked to early with such a stellar line up in 2009 you may struggle to get one of the same calibre in 2010, however if you get anywhere close I'll be booking.

Keep up the good work.

HELL63

Postby HELL63 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:29 am

I was pretty impressed and had a great time. Its obviously a smaller festival and the atmosphere was great. To those who complained there wasn't any - hows about trying to create some yourself? we moved back during Metallica as it was a bit too much for my son, but we still had a great time and all went mad in our own little world!
Someone mentioned overhearing someone complaining about swearing in front of their kid, doh, well they shouldn't take a child if they don't want them to hear any ripe language. what is wrong with people? And I heard someone complaining to all around that their very little one was getting crushed - compromise? If youtake your small people be prepared not to be in the mosh pit, but stand back and enjoy with a bit of space around you.

Anyway I'll be back - sonisphere - how you gonna top that line up tho' ?

dookie1

Postby dookie1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:15 am

Anyone see that kid on the Guitar Hero stage on sunday afternoon singing to Metallica?Funny as frakk,hope its on you tube,loads of people were filming him :lol:

Shazz501

Postby Shazz501 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:24 am

as a first time festival goer i had a great weekend :D was a bit pissed off at all the aimless wandering trying to find out about the LP meet and greet but that was the fault of LPU rather than sonisphere. a great atmosphere,great music but most of all great people :D will definately be going again :D someone mentioned the language in front of the kids,well i was overhearing a conversation between a guy and a small kid of about 6 or 7 which i thought was bloody hilarious,the guy asked the kid if he was going to see metallica perform and the kid said yes,the guy then asked how that felt to which the kid replied f*cking awesome..lolol

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”