Misc

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
rockgeek

Misc

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:48 am

:o

MC83

Re: Misc

Postby MC83 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:13 am

I had a really great time on both days at Sonisphere, I saw some amazing bands and met some lovely people, but there was something about the festival that was missing, and I think it was atmosphere. I can only assume that it's because a lot of the people there had come up from London (coming from Leeds, i've found London crowds to be the least appreciative and responsive at gigs and festivals) - nobody seemed to care about who they were watching most of the time. Maybe because the layout of the site meant people didn't have any choice but to watch whatever band was on either of the main stages (unless they walked over to Bohemia), but there was distinct lack of vibe throughout most of the festival.

At first, my Sonisphere buddy and I thought it was our lack of enthusiasm letting us down, until we realised we were actually singing along, cheering and dancing enough for 4 people, and generally making the most of the amazing bands we'd been lucky enough to see.

The bands we saw blew us away - Oceansize and Airbourne made my Saturday, and Killing Joke, Mastodon, Machine Head and NIN made my Sunday. The food was fine, security were friendly, the Monster bike display was impressive, the merch stalls were well organised, the bar was always accessible, but the atmosphere sucked.

Thanks Sonisphere, maybe see you next year.

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:16 am

The atmosphere could've been better but I think it's difficult for a first time festival and for some bands (i.e. AiC and Metallica) I thought the atmosphere was electric.

Overall it was a superb weekend and I'm honestly looking forward to 2010 already.

Thanks for a great two days Sonisphere ;)

Staley

Postby Staley » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:37 am

I had just the opposite impression about the atmosphere, but for those who thought it was bad - the weather wasn't up to much, and that never helps.

Louise

Postby Louise » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Personally I didnt think there were enough toilets in the campsite area. Atleast where I was (at the bottom of the hill) I cant speak for other areas.

Its was my first big festival so im not sure if what was available was pretty typical, but queueing for half an hour to use the toilets in the morning for me just wasnt good enough. No matter when you went there, between around 7am and lunchtime it was atleast a 15 minute wait, usually more. Not good if you wake up desperate to go. I suppose it wasnt too bad for the guys who had the urinals.

MC83

Postby MC83 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:22 pm

I don't think it helped that I had my experience of this year's Download still in my head - Download 2009 was probably the best weekend of my life so far for so many reasons, therefore Sonisphere had a lot to live up to. I just wasn't feeling it, and the weather wasn't really a factor, as I had lots of fun dancing in the rain to Airbourne.

I probably would go again, and it's not really helpful to compare it to Download.

Maybe i'm just getting old.

Alura

Postby Alura » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:36 pm

MC83 wrote:I don't think it helped that I had my experience of this year's Download still in my head - Download 2009 was probably the best weekend of my life so far for so many reasons, therefore Sonisphere had a lot to live up to. I just wasn't feeling it, and the weather wasn't really a factor, as I had lots of fun dancing in the rain to Airbourne.

I probably would go again, and it's not really helpful to compare it to Download.

Adressesing the whole atmosphere thing, think it was a friendly atmosphere with less crazy people about if you get me? The only time it got to me was when i wanted to go a bit wild and enjoy a band but people were just standing around and looking. For Linkin Park i was right in front of that set up bit in the middle and no one there was jumping around or anything. It just annoyed me that to get into it properly you had to shove your way to the front (in doing so, causing people to shoot you dirty looks, in retort i'm thinking well why would i stay here you're all being boring bastards!?)

magicmatt

Postby magicmatt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Hey,

Enjoyed my first Sonisphere. Any idea how many were there on each day? I would say there was a good 50% more on the Sunday for the better weather and line up. A few general points.

Positives:

- Awesome Sunday line up
- Affable security
- Normal festival prices for drinks 'n' burgers
- Staggered stage times worked pretty damn well, even if the legs were fading on the Sunday
- Plenty of drinking water available
- Toliets were decent on-site
- Good atmosphere in the Bohemia tent

Negatives:

- Sometimes shoddy sound on the Saturn stage. Paradise Lost, Avenged Sevenfold, Saxon & Mastodon struggled at times. It was much better for the likes of Airbourne & Alice in Chains though.
- Coheed clashing with Heaven & Hell (although not Sonisphere's fault)
- No real ale. Only Carlsberg. Probably due to sponsorship reasons, but believe real ale/lager drinkers don't mix that much. I gave up drinking!
- Awful choice of Saturday headliners!

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:01 pm

Alura wrote:
MC83 wrote:I don't think it helped that I had my experience of this year's Download still in my head - Download 2009 was probably the best weekend of my life so far for so many reasons, therefore Sonisphere had a lot to live up to. I just wasn't feeling it, and the weather wasn't really a factor, as I had lots of fun dancing in the rain to Airbourne.

Adressesing the whole atmosphere thing, think it was a friendly atmosphere with less crazy people about if you get me? The only time it got to me was when i wanted to go a bit wild and enjoy a band but people were just standing around and looking. For Linkin Park i was right in front of that set up bit in the middle and no one there was jumping around or anything. It just annoyed me that to get into it properly you had to shove your way to the front (in doing so, causing people to shoot you dirty looks, in retort i'm thinking well why would i stay here you're all being boring bastards!?)

They weren't being boring...it was the fact that Linkin Park were like watching paint dry

Alura

Postby Alura » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:14 pm

bodiesinflight57 wrote:
Alura wrote:

They weren't being boring...it was the fact that Linkin Park were like watching paint dry

Lol was alright until they pulled out the cheeky side-project card. That was just rude.

Jon

Postby Jon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Alura wrote:

I didn't know you had to jump or run around in a circle to have a good time

Anthonytats

Postby Anthonytats » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Brillaint 2 days of music...
Organisation at the beggining of the thursday as ppl entered was completely shoddy...
Waiting 2 hours for space to be opened was just stupid...

The atmosphere was brilliant...
Everything about it was brilliant.
Except the staff around the arena, whos kind words of "take ur seat belt off or we wont start the ride" on the dodgems ennded up with me breaking my hand and wrist and ruining a good day of moshing...
GearsCT wrote:You have such a huggable face

fade_to_jack wrote:i love anthony, he is my favourite boardie from sonisphere :bow-yellow:

DevilChris

Postby DevilChris » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:27 pm

I thought the atmosphere when metallica played awesome i was right at the front in the pits and stuff. There's always a few annoying people trying to mosh to songs like fade to black instead of just giving it a break for 2 mins. other than that Metallica awesome, although they insist on playing nothing else matters and enter sandman to end all there play lists which is annoying. Airbourne was amazing, machine head, anthrax, Bjorn again provided loads of laughter, but that's cool that they played because they were better than some of the bands that played.

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Alura wrote:
bodiesinflight57 wrote:
Alura wrote:

Lol was alright until they pulled out the cheeky side-project card. That was just rude.

Rude...but I think quite clever as they briefly made Linkin Park look half decent

fatperson

Postby fatperson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:51 pm

No easy way to get festival updates or stage time changes?

The rat-a-tat-tat on twitter should have been replaced by someone who could provide at least the occasional bit of USEFUL information.

Using twitter for nothing but useless and banal banter just wasted a very powerful tool that we could all have made use of.

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:57 pm

bodiesinflight57 wrote:
Rude...but I think quite clever as they briefly made Linkin Park look half decent

ooh, scathing!

fatperson wrote:No easy way to get festival updates or stage time changes?

The rat-a-tat-tat on twitter should have been replaced by someone who could provide at least the occasional bit of USEFUL information.

Using twitter for nothing but useless and banal banter just wasted a very powerful tool that we could all have made use of.

you spent your weekend on twitter? LAD. :doh:
FMC CODE: 1k915233 AMBASSADOR CODE: SF36NE use for beer and hookers.

Davy

Postby Davy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:59 pm

Have to agree with fatperson here.

I thought there was meant to be a big screen somewhere with updates and twitter notices? But nothing.
I didn't know about Coheed playing Bohemia and I would've loved to have seen that :cry:

The person who is in control of the Twitter however should only post information, NOT opinions. Makes it seem not very official and useful at all. If he wants to do that, he should get his own personal account. Keep the Sonisphere twitter for official announcements and information only

Dex

Postby Dex » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:03 pm

At first I thought the placement of Feeder after Lamb of God, Mastodon and Machine Head was barmy. But it turns out it worked perfectly as a bit of respite, and they actually got one of the bigger crowds on Saturn. Not only that, but the crowd took to them extremely well, which, as a fan of theirs, I was pleased about. And they were relieved, too!

Speaking of which, Machine Head as special guests was one of the worst kept secrets of the weekend. On the train home I got chatting with a press guy who was reporting for Kerrang and he said he was told a few days before the festival that he was going to be interviewing Rob Flynn.

NIN was a MASSIVE disappointment. I was expecting an epic show for their last ever European performance. Instead we got a set that would have been much better in the Bohemia tent.

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Dex wrote:At first I thought the placement of Feeder after Lamb of God, Mastodon and Machine Head was barmy. But it turns out it worked perfectly as a bit of respite, and they actually got one of the bigger crowds on Saturn. Not only that, but the crowd took to them extremely well, which, as a fan of theirs, I was pleased about. And they were relieved, too!

I agree...I was wearing my Feeder t-shirt expecting to have abuse hurled at me (and at the band) but they went down really well

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:04 pm

The air raid siren on Saturday night (monster truck) really did my head in after a while!!

I was trying to get my head down but as it went on for so long we just got up in the end and went down, the monster truck was good though and I loved the fire girls!! ;)
Last edited by fairyfluff76 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatperson

Postby fatperson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:06 pm

No I didn't spend my time on twitter. there was a point when I wasn't sure of the stage times as my lad had walked off with the list so I checked twitter so see if there was any info, just the usual sad nonsense

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:21 pm

fatperson wrote:No I didn't spend my time on twitter. there was a point when I wasn't sure of the stage times as my lad had walked off with the list so I checked twitter so see if there was any info, just the usual sad nonsense

oh right, ok, my bad!
but I did think the screens with the soni logo and vid feeds during sets on could have had an info bar at the bottom. or a text in service, though that would lead to them all saying buttscratcher 24/7...

but they announced the coheed thing on both bohemia and main stage, what else could they have done? putting it on twitter would help maybe 1% of the crowd, cos I only know of two or three people who checked it! it's a shame people missed it, but if they'd been wanting to see them then they'd have been waiting for them by main stage surely and heard the announcement? it's more a shame for fact fans who wouldn't have been there...
FMC CODE: 1k915233 AMBASSADOR CODE: SF36NE use for beer and hookers.

Rockandale

Postby Rockandale » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:25 pm

Was very disappointed to find no real ale - which I thought was mentioned - not even any beer at all, only lager, spirits and cider. Had one lager - very watery and tasteless, cider a bit tastier - lucky for us we took beer to the campsite but if i'd wanted to drink more in the arena I'd've been very fed up.

Kept missing the monster thing - why were no times advertised when they were on? We were given no info at all all weekend.
(lucky I had the band timings).

Davy

Postby Davy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:37 pm

Rockandale wrote:Was very disappointed to find no real ale - which I thought was mentioned - not even any beer at all, only lager, spirits and cider. Had one lager - very watery and tasteless, cider a bit tastier - lucky for us we took beer to the campsite but if i'd wanted to drink more in the arena I'd've been very fed up.

Kept missing the monster thing - why were no times advertised when they were on? We were given no info at all all weekend.
(lucky I had the band timings).

This.
Didn't really understand the Monster place. And the thought of no real ale makes me cry, especially as it was definitely mentioned.

We weren't around the arena when they announced that Coheed were playing Bohemia though, so even though i'm the "1%", I think there should've definitely been a few screens of some sort with updates.

Other things that peed us off:
- The air-raid siren really annoyed me too. It just went on TOO long.
- We thought the rules with taking drinks bottles into the arena was stupid. We had a 1.25 litre bottle of Diet Coke, which was not even half full, and we got told we were only allowed to take in bottles under one litre.

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:00 pm

alexcore wrote:
fatperson wrote:No I didn't spend my time on twitter. there was a point when I wasn't sure of the stage times as my lad had walked off with the list so I checked twitter so see if there was any info, just the usual sad nonsense

oh right, ok, my bad!
but I did think the screens with the soni logo and vid feeds during sets on could have had an info bar at the bottom. or a text in service, though that would lead to them all saying buttscratcher 24/7...

Why not have screens up around the site (at the entrance - on the main screen between the bands-in Bohemia) showing a rolling schedule - a bit like a SKY/Freeview TV Programme Guide so that you could see not only who was on but the clashes and- of course- any last minute changes

but they announced the coheed thing on both bohemia and main stage, what else could they have done?

Well, for starters, they COULD have announced it to the crowd as it built up to see them for the 40 odd minutes or so leading up to the scheduled start time- they must have knew then what was happening because FACT's gear had to be set up. Had they mentioned it even 15 minutes before they did it would have allowed people to make decisions about who they wanted to to see. As it happens that time was my only major clash of the festival as I really wanted to see Exit Ten as well as CoCa - an early annuoncement or 'Update' screens would have allowed me to head back down the hill and see all of their set rather than the three songs I managed to catch.

The whole Coheed thing had another knock on- It meant they clashed with H&H who I was also looking forward to seeing!

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”