The Actual Site

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
Psymonkee

Re: The Actual Site

Postby Psymonkee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:56 pm

First time at a festival for me and only a few complaints :p

-Early Entry ticket holders furthest from the arena - hated this as I'm a lazy bugger and it hardly seemed worth paying the extra!?
-Main stage should have been roughly were the monster army camp was - at the bottom of a slope so that people further back could still get a good view.
-Much bigger screens on the main stage
-Better toilet placement - I was in the early entry field nearest the car park and hated the half mile round trip to use the bog.
-Main Arena was horrid to wander around being set at an odd angle and what seemed like sloping in 2 different directions.
-Not enough seating near to food vans.

Otherwise not bad :D

davetkd666

Postby davetkd666 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:29 am

sozsozsoz wrote:
davetkd666 wrote:
sozsozsoz wrote:I've never actually seen a festival use the D one before! Wouldn't that end up with a surge trying to get into it once bands finish though? I suppose you could limit the amount of people allowed inside via VIP bands, but that would suck if it was all but empty and there were people waiting outside

It's rare but i believe Metallica sometimes use it.

No it wouldn't cos it works differently adn you are more or less right on the HOW.
At the start of the day the first to get there (depending on the capacity the D can hold) get a seperate wrist band which allows them to move in and out of the D as no one else can get in unless they have the band.
Or in some cases it me require membership to something such as a certain camping package etc.
It was used at download Scotland (04) not sure if it was also used at donnington that year

Ok, well it could possibly work, but at a festival I disagree.

Say I love a band that is playing first/second/third to the point I wanted to get right to the front, yet I wanted to go to another tent for a headliner (as often happens at Reading/Download, and I imagine Sonis in the next few years), and I get strapped with a "golden circle" band. Say me along with 100 other people get the same band for the same reason. When the thing is nearly empty when the headliner plays, it just doesn't make sense. And for specific membership, what happens when the people who have paid the premium are struggling to get through the crowd to get to the golden circle?

Although the set up works perfectly for a place like Wembley, where the whole event is for one band.

I still don't think you can beat the sideways "H" for a festival.

Bingo! You've just summed up why the D is such an unpopular design.. and why it is rarely used :D
Wasn't so much suggesting this as slamming the one that they used as it's a cross between the H and D. But the one thing the D has going for it is that it releives some of the pressure on the front o the crowd.
But the H barrier is also a poor design as if (god forbid) there was a crush you are penning people in with only one exit route which would be against the direction of the crowd trying to push in
I was involved in a very scary crush during the Foos in 2000 (at reading), where ther was no crowd split at all. No matter how obvious it was that the gooseberry was hitting the fan there were stupid assholes continuing to push people forward from as far up as the sound desk all the while people were pushing to get out.
The H isnt gonna prevent that, it's only going to concentrate it.
The T design has worked well for years, if it aint broke why fix it
If (god forbid) there was a crush

Nene

Postby Nene » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:15 pm

I loved the size of the whole thing. It was the perfect size for wandering about, we could go back to our tents for food/beer when we had a break between bands we want to see and still get back in time for the next one.
I really hope it doesn't get any bigger than this, the atmosphere was fantastic and relaxed and fun and I would say that was a lot to do with the size of it all.
A little bit of tweaking for next year and I think it will be perfect.
Hills were a bit of a pain, but not really anything you can do about that, and it's not something that I would complain about.
More toilets would have been good, and perhaps a few more seating areas if they could be squeezed in, but other than that, top job! Was very happy with it all :)

davetkd666

Postby davetkd666 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Nene wrote:I loved the size of the whole thing. It was the perfect size for wandering about, we could go back to our tents for food/beer when we had a break between bands we want to see and still get back in time for the next one.
I really hope it doesn't get any bigger than this, the atmosphere was fantastic and relaxed and fun and I would say that was a lot to do with the size of it all.
A little bit of tweaking for next year and I think it will be perfect.
Hills were a bit of a pain, but not really anything you can do about that, and it's not something that I would complain about.
More toilets would have been good, and perhaps a few more seating areas if they could be squeezed in, but other than that, top job! Was very happy with it all :)

Aye, the size was fantastic, that was what 40000 tickets sold in the end? and it seemed perfect. A little josstling about of stages and te stalls, but otherwise leave it as is.
Think one of downloads biggest mistakes was trying to persue bigger things, why bother? As long as you can turn over a profit.

Must say a big part of the appeal was the green ad leafy surroundings of the campsite, much better than the dustbowl that is donnington (which just looks like a refugee camp)

chadisgod

Postby chadisgod » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:38 am

way better than download
Rotten To The Core

Me with Brian from shadows fall ^^^ and with Ivan from 5FDP in my avatar.

Wet t-shirts: let's do this gooseberry

pyrateprincess

Postby pyrateprincess » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:45 pm

i agree on the dust thing that download is, as when you come back from there you still sneeze the dust out for a week, plus it was nice to be able to sit on the grass and have a little picnic with the yummy food whilst waiting for the band to come on

amnesiac57

Postby amnesiac57 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi, :D wonderful festival, great atmosphere, awesome bands :music-deathmetal:

couple of moans: sorry :cry: where were the litter bins in the main arena???? there was a couple of big bins near food outlets but none at all on the grass areas... and as for the poor staff who were trying to pick up litter.. please give them those 'grab stick' things next time so they can actually pick the litter up, by the end of each day it was like sitting in a rubbish dump on the grass! also why can't campers stick their rubbish in bags.......is it totally necessary to just throw it all over the campsite ?? it doesn't take much effort to take a black bag with you.. after all you dont chuck your rubbish round like that in your own back garden......i hope........i thought i would look out of my tent one morning and see a rat looking at me!
lastly........ not near enough toilets in the camping areas. :o

potticus

Postby potticus » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:09 pm

It looks like I'm the only one here in favour of the D barrier? :s

I'm sure it's been used at Reading (no golden circle, so anyone can get in, but just like the curved bit of the D across the front of most of the stage. The problem I saw with the barrier, as happened during Metallica (we were leaning on the back of the barrier on the left as you look at the stage), was that loads of people were coming back, and having nowhere to go, and by the end of it, the back of the barrier area was as crushed as the front, the middle was actually a lot better! There was no way of getting out other than over the barrier, as there were waaaay too many people trying to push in from the sides.

I think it would have been better to curve the front barrier a little more, and to curve the back barrier a little more, and move it further back, to try to give a bit more "breathing space" at the back. If you look at Reading, I've not seen the back of the barrier as bad ever as at Soni.

Oh, and the part of the barrier from stage to sound desk - I understand that it can help sideways surges etc, but in my mind it restricted the exit to one point for each section, and it became impossible to get out.

Other than that ... the slope up the hill to the mainstage was pretty dumb ... come on, common sense anyone, unless all of the Soni organising team are >6ft tall?!

The stagger between bands was good, up to the point. It became frustrating watching the end of a band, and literally as you turn around, hearing the other band in their first track. Especially if you are one of those people (perhaps I should say women) who have ever needed to take a piss ... yes, so that's everyone ... how are you supposed to find the time to wee when the gap between bands is like 5mins and the queues are 15? Perhaps more toilets would help (and btw the toilet attendents in the arena were amazing. Props.) but I think an extra 5mins between bands and an extra 10 between every 4th band or something would really help, so people aren't literally running to bands the whole time.
Cold silence has a tendancy to atrophe any sense of compassion

OneZeroOneUK

Postby OneZeroOneUK » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:53 am

^^That barrier between left and right saved a few lives that day. I'm not even being hyperbolic...

Galbraith et al. did an excellent job of getting the most out of the Knebworth site; it showed that, on a practical level, they are masters of their trade.

Not saying there weren't faults, there were - however they pale in comparison to how good the weekend actually was.

mand61123

Postby mand61123 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:59 am

Thought it was fine glad it didn't rain that much on the sun as was able to eat sat on the grass they did the best they could with it at the time. I think the majority of the stuff people were bothered about were just teething problems and will be sorted out next year.

well done TS, Sg etc :clap:

Bring on the MILKSHAKE!!!

Have you sacrificed a beer yet?
Support a fellow boardie donate @
http://www.justgiving.com/whelanclan/

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”