The Actual Site

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
rockgeek

The Actual Site

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:47 am

:?:

urbansickness

Re: The Actual Site

Postby urbansickness » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:20 am

the whole site was pretty well laid out. :music-rockon:
only thing being that the second stage was on quite a slope but thats just being picky.
For all photographers or urban explorers use my FMC code :) 1k964248

Image Image

Staley

Postby Staley » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:35 am

No problems at all with it. It was smaller than I'm used to which made it very easy to get around and it took longer for my feet to begin aching, which is always good.
I think the size was just right for the amount of people who attended. It made it more personal and civilised, and there was a great atmosphere.

Zeeeeeeebra

Postby Zeeeeeeebra » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:09 pm

The main stage being on top of a slope/hill was a pain in the ass. Not good for people who want to chill/sit at the back and watch the screens. Also the stalls in the middle between the main and 2nd stage were a pain because it created one huge bottleneck between bands.

sozsozsoz

Postby sozsozsoz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Here are a couple of things I think may improve the festival:

-Phone Reception
I know this is not exactly in Sonisphere's control, but I found it very difficult to get a signal near the Bohemia tent, around to the monster area and to the back of the main arena. I'm on Orange, don't know if anyone else had problems.

-2nd stage slope
Towards the screen on the second stage it sloped downwards, meaning if you're short, you couldn't get a good view at the stage unless you walked up to the other side.

-Early entry
I entered the site on thursday and was confused as to why early entry campers where told to fill the field furthest away from the arena, yet people arriving on saturday where able to camp closer and closer to the action.

-Bottle neck mentioned above
-Not enough stalls outside of arena
-Bar only on one side of the main stage
-Seemingly unused space near entrance

Although it's not all bad, here are some things that I thought were either neat about Sonisphere compared to others, or I think should definitely stay.

+Main stage/Second stage stagger
+Bohemia tent just the right size, able to see clearly from almost anywhere inside
+Bohemia/Jager/Monster/Stalls in the same place for when there is no one you want to see playing
+Main stage crowd split into two (Every festival should do this)
+Wheel barrow rental
+Specific road set up for non-camping ticket holders
+Very strong police presence, even from the thursday/friday

I hope the above comments help!

lorraine

Postby lorraine » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:13 pm

First Class i was really impressed with it!

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:28 pm

HILLS
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

des

Postby des » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm

I had an amazing time, but need sleep now haha

great site, great fans, what a weekend.

Davy

Postby Davy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Pro's:
+ Good number of food, clothing, camping stalls.
+ Decent camping site/size.
+ Could see screens and stages from a good distance away.
+ Wheel barrow rental.
+ The road for non-campers.
+ Nice amount of stalls outside the arena, and open at good hours too. We couldn't sleep the first night, so tea at 4am is goood.
+ Not a VIP, but seems like they were actually treated as VIP's. They had their own raised area to see the stages better, better access to the arena, and overheard from people about how they enjoyed it.
+ For me, an o2 user, phone reception was brilliant.

Con's:
- Hills (but good for the rain I suppose)

Struggled to think of cons, so all I can say is congrats on making a great first year.
Overall, thought it was excellent.

GodHatesMeMost

Postby GodHatesMeMost » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Overall, too busy having a great time (all round) to find anything bad to say :music-rockon:

One thing that was a bit weird - getting food then having nowhere to sit and eat (with few exceptions), unless you moved a mountain of rubbish out the way first. This led to a suggestion amongst my friend and I (massive poll, eh?!) that maybe stick all the food stalls in one area with seating (picnic bench things), a ton of bins (split for re-cycling) and just keep maybe chip stalls for main arena?

I know some peeps like to get nosh just before main band (we certainly did - had 'dinner' sitting on floor during both BFMV and AS) but might be a way of keeping rubbish to a minimum, making less items to trip over whilst moving between stages.

Big :bow-yellow: to the poor sods picking up the rubbish too!!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.

subculture hero

Postby subculture hero » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:23 pm

I was camped right near the main entrance. When we first got there, the big hill (blue camp I think?) was completely empty and I thought that was the arena at first - I raged hard when I realised the arena was past that hill. That was my only gripe about the site itself though, I think.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:27 pm

I would say it is the best layout I've witnessed, I can't actually find a fault with it
FMC Code - 1k949287

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:48 pm

GodHatesMeMost wrote:Big :bow-yellow: to the poor sods picking up the rubbish too!!

Yes they were all great - :bow-yellow:

plyvsct

Postby plyvsct » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:02 pm

All in all I think it was a good first year (and I'm already planning to go next year). Considering that I have been to soem festivals which have been running for much longer and they get it so wrong I was please with how little I thought was an issue.

Pros
Shuttle buses from the town
Good range of food and drink
Bars were well staffed and never had to queue for long
Bohemia bar had plenty of seating
Positioning of the main stage
Monster Army Camp
Toilets were kept pretty clean
Drinking Water available
Plenty of mech and interesting shops
You could bring in food and water

Cons
Too few toilets (particularly noticable on the Sunday)
Bohemia Tent was very smokey (my voice is still gone from the Saturday)
Second Stage would have been better at the top of the hill rather than on the side of it (you had to stand like a goat on the side of a mountain if you wanted to be in front of it)
Screens on the main stage were too small
It was a little quiet.

metalmac

Postby metalmac » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Zeeeeeeebra wrote:The main stage being on top of a slope/hill was a pain in the ass. Not good for people who want to chill/sit at the back and watch the screens. Also the stalls in the middle between the main and 2nd stage were a pain because it created one huge bottleneck between bands.

I agree. but lets hope they learn from these feed backs. :music-rockon:

Cerpin Taxt

Postby Cerpin Taxt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:22 pm

If the festival is to be bigger next year I think the site needs to be a bit bigger.

The arena was very crowded at times even if you wanted to sit near the back. Perhaps next year make the Arena a bit more spacious and expand the campsite, especially if it's going to be a 3 day festival (I hope it is :D).
http://www.last.fm/user/Shadow2nd
1k982241

Time til we the gates burst open and we rush in like a plague upon the land:

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Site itself was great to look at. My only gripe was the positioning of Apollo in that it was on an incline meaning viewing was limited if you wanted to stand towards the back. Maybe for 2010, move it 90 degrees to the right so that it's facing the VIP entrance and one of the arena bars

Otherwise no complaints - good to see their Lordship and Ladyship wandering around as well, must've thought 'what the hell have we done letting these people in our garden?!'

:)
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

davetkd666

Postby davetkd666 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm

General layout was briloliat although the 2nd stage position was awful. The ground sloped all ways and was to close to the stalls which caused problems.
Don't see why it couldn't have been position where the Monster thingy was as that had a more even downward slope and was just as far from the main stage.

However, the semi D stye barrier was friggin awful, don't see the appeal in these things.
Either go for the full on Golden circle or stick to the 50/50 split. This curved thing just causde people to cram in and didn't relieve the pressure that it's supposed to.

AllFallD0wn

Postby AllFallD0wn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:33 pm

The site itself was amazing!

I actually think I only have about 2 or 3 gripes about the whole weekend!
FMC CODE : 1k919055 - BEERS IF YOU USE IT :D

alexcore wrote:LOVE YOU REALLY MY LONG HAIRED MUNCHKIN :D

martin

Postby martin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:32 pm

Only problems I had was that the main stage was at the top of a hill.
I thought the 'blue' camping area (one with the huge hill) would of been ace to have a main stage at the bottom of.
Second stage had a slope to the left hand side, could of done with being flatter with a slight incline towards the back of the crowd.

Other than that, nothing bad.

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:57 pm

to many hills :(

and the free water points also needed plastic boards and better draining, i got mud on my shoe
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

Lyekka

Postby Lyekka » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:12 pm

I thought the layout was ok, other ppl have already commented on tweaks that could be made to improve things, and every festival has things which annoy some ppl.

But am I the only 1 that thought the fact that stalls etc were still being set up when we arrived on Thursday and some still on the Friday? I tend to think that as soon as ppl are arriving things should be all set up ready to go, which means as the doors open for early entry....

The Merch stand in the peasant camping area were dammed right rude and told me to literally frakk off when I politely enquired while they were hiding behind their big fence if they were the stall I was to collect my FMC T-shirts from later and when roughly they might be opening for me to do so. This was lunchtime Friday. The one near the jager stand was open on the Thursday night, so what was the problem with being organised enough to get the camping 1 set up a little bit more before the FMC party then they were? (the text I got to say they were available from the other merch stand was a nice touch though)
2009: Download, Sonisphere UK, Bloodstock and Reading festivals - +many more!
2010: Download, Sonisphere Poland, Sonisphere UK and Bloodstock festivals - +many many more!
Black Founder Member's Club Member number: 1k943442 - Pimp my FMC!

amyfrank

Postby amyfrank » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:42 pm

Expected it to be a lot larger, but glad it was on a smaller scale cos I'm a lazy bumbum.
[LINKIN PARK UNDERGROUND]

pyrateprincess

Postby pyrateprincess » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:55 pm

way to small and not organised well enough

Hit The Lights

Postby Hit The Lights » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:03 pm

no real problems. maybe make the gap that people have to walk through in the market area wider since that got seriously crowded at points.

oh and dump a ton of soil on the site and remove that bloody hill in the camp :P

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”