Arena

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
martin

Re: Arena

Postby martin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:33 pm

Loved the fact the MAIN and SECOND stage were staggered. HATED the fact you were looking up hill to see the main stage.
Toilets were disgusting (gents urinals) and there wasn't enough of them.

~Adma~

Postby ~Adma~ » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:44 pm

My issue is with the DJ in the Monster tent/stage thing that was on from midnight at the top of the hill.

Was it just me or did he play practically the same bands/songs every night?! I went back 3 nights (Thurs, Fri, Sun) and i heard more than a couple of the same songs every night.

Variety is the spice of life!! Get some less mainstream tunes on the go! As I Lay Dying, Scar Symmetry, Scars On Broadway, Atreyu etc etc

Other then that the Monster tent/stage was awesome! Great atmosphere, sound was fantastic quality and those dancing girls were a great +
Worked On The Information Tents @ Sonisphere

Bring on S10!

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:47 pm

my problem was the hills
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

pyrateprincess

Postby pyrateprincess » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:55 pm

im 5ft 4" and i couldnt see anything on the main stage, all weekend! I came with my boyf who is 6ft 7" (emmjay) and he had a great view for both stages, but it really put a dampener on the whole festival for me. Even with the two screens, at times, i couldnt even see those. This needs to be addressed and the main stage repositioned at the bottom of a hill, possibly where the jager stage was?, as this would give a great advantage to my fellow shorties!

toilets- just not enough and they were dirty- the blokes urinals on the left hand side of apollo were inches in mud made from urine and dirt because they overflowed! i even witnessed one very brave woman using an urinal because the average wait for a toilet was about 15mins-unacceptable really.

bohemia stage was good but again anyone under 6ft had no chance to view anything-i ended leaving the corey set because i couldnt see a thing from any point in there-maybe he should have been on saturn?

the positioning of the food vans was ridiculous-right in between the two stages-which made it sometimes ridiculously impossible to get through to the other stage, they would have benefitted more from being around the edge of the area or maybe even have a food section that was separate.

Prices of the food in the arena was ridiculous! £6.00 for nachos?! also i bought a bottle of water in the arena (£2!) and took it back to camp with me, i left it in my bag and when i came back i was told i couldnt take it into the arena!thats ridiculous!

beLIEveR

Postby beLIEveR » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:04 pm

Pretty happy overall. When we walked from Saturn to Apollo we always headed very far to the right (towards the toilets over there) and then walked backwards and more centrally. Worked every time, as nobody really minds you going backwards, but it was quite tiring.

It was quite a long walk from the arena entrance to the stages, but I think this is a good thing. At other festivals you go directly from the entrance to the main stage, with the result being that the hidden gems get missed, underused, and they disappear over time.

loulouk

Postby loulouk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Jager Truck, main stage and Bohemia tent were brilliant. 2nd stage was just weird. Best view we found was by the Water/Soft drink stall on the right hand side of it. The left hand side of it leaked into the stalls area on the Sunday as it got lots busier than on the Sat. I agree with the comments about what it would have been like if it were at capacity - the difference in bottlenecks between the Sat and Sun was really noticeable. I don't know how you fix that though, except for moving the food stalls to back where the monster army camp was - who seemed to have an absolutely massive footprint for something so small? I was a bit confused by that whole thing to be honest.

amyfrank

Postby amyfrank » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 pm

I thought the set up with the stages was spot on.
[LINKIN PARK UNDERGROUND]

Gag

Postby Gag » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Lyekka wrote:This

Is why more toilets were needed in the arena (this was left of the main stage Sunday afternoon, right NEXT to the toilet block where even the urinals had a queue)

I actually don't mind this but I know a lot of other ppl find this kinda disgusting...

any1 wanna admit to being in the pic?

The security guys and information points not having a clue what was going on was very amusing, I actually gave the info about the FMC box office to the guys at the info point near the jager stand!
Other then these its been a great festival, I have to admit that the constant walking between stages has left me totally knackered, but to get no clashes on the line up (barring the Coheed incident) was totally worth it :)

Not guilty...this time :doh: . However, some people may find this disgusting but I find having to wade through urine induced mud to get to the pisser even more disgusting. What you see in the picture was a cleaner & quicker option trust me. Also, due to there being very little time between bands meant that people couldn't afford time to queue for a waz. Simple solution....more toilets. :idea:

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:23 pm

~Adma~ wrote:My issue is with the DJ in the Monster tent/stage thing that was on from midnight at the top of the hill.
Was it just me or did he play practically the same bands/songs every night?! I went back 3 nights (Thurs, Fri, Sun) and i heard more than a couple of the same songs every night.
Variety is the spice of life!! Get some less mainstream tunes on the go! As I Lay Dying, Scar Symmetry, Scars On Broadway, Atreyu etc etc

I told this to my friend, and he raised the valid point that they would have had to pay for the rights to play any of those songs, so I guess they cba to pay for more than that playlist. I mean the songs they played were good, but by the third night of the same ones... feeeeckin' hell man.

pyrateprincess wrote:im 5ft 4" and i couldnt see anything on the main stage, all weekend! I came with my boyf who is 6ft 7" (emmjay) and he had a great view for both stages, but it really put a dampener on the whole festival for me. Even with the two screens, at times, i couldnt even see those. This needs to be addressed and the main stage repositioned at the bottom of a hill, possibly where the jager stage was?, as this would give a great advantage to my fellow shorties!

I'm 5"2! :lol: At one point my 6"3' friend crouched so that he was level with me and said it was the first realisation he had of just how bad a view shorter people get. So it is a shite situation, I could barely see any of the bands and it ruined it for me. The best place if you need a little extra height (if you can get it) is right in front of that T section splitting the main stage, because the metal on the floor added about an inch. However, that area lacked the atmosphere of the front of the stage for everyone but the headliners which sucked. Compromise, eh? I tried to get my mate to lift me onto his shoulders during Nothing Else Matters and the security guys were just not having it :/

dave_nicholls

Postby dave_nicholls » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Too small, simple!

During A7X you could hear the soundcheck going on on the main stage. The food outlets were in the middle of the route between stages so were right in the way.

If the organisers want to have that many people there they need to make sure there is enough space to move because Sunday there wasn't!

Driftwood

Postby Driftwood » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:20 pm

I also found the sound for Avenged Sevenfold was drowned out by sound from the other areas which was a shame

Driftwood

Postby Driftwood » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:26 pm

And to repeat I would prefer it if those food vans weren't around the second stage cos it felt cramped & smelt of greasy spoon

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:25 am

martin wrote:Loved the fact the MAIN and SECOND stage were staggered. HATED the fact you were looking up hill to see the main stage.

Yeah this was a problem, couldnt really see at the back as it went uphill.

Also I feel there was not enough room around the stages and arena, too many food outlets in that area and it was very cramped, if you wanted to get some food and chill out for a bit it was difficult because of all the people watching bands.

I feel that there should of been a bit more seating - if you sat on the floor you never knew what you were sitting in.
Last edited by fairyfluff76 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michael

Postby michael » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 am

i think next year apollo should be where bohemia was
also i think the bands should have started earlier (1 hour for heaven and hell was not enough seeing as they were sub headliners)
apart from that i cant think of anything to fault with the arena
Keep 'em staggered!! :bow-yellow:
Please use my code:1k910085

Shazz501

Postby Shazz501 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:59 am

would have been better not to have had the food outlets near to the main stage,also agree that a video feed of the second stage would have been good and also better positioning of the mainstage so that the hill wasn't an issue,other than that not too shabby :D

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:25 pm

I have to say, for the first one I was pretty impressed with the general organzation and planning of the festival. And they'll be taking on board all the criticisms we have to improve it for next year, so it can only get better ;)

jacobscabin

Postby jacobscabin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:16 pm

looking uphill to the main stage was an issue. second stage sloping right to left was just bizarre, and made viewing difficult.
staggering the bands on 2 stages is an absolute must, it means people are always on the move, so you get a good chance of seeing bands from where you want.

pete.g

Postby pete.g » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:46 pm

On the whole I liked the Arena set up and I think the event was a massive success. Having the under 12's free was great and without it I would have missed a great event, I hope it is the same next year. Here is some comments.

Alternating stages. Having the bands staggered between 2 stages worked well and meant everybody could see a lot of bands. The change over times were lightning quick. Like others said before, why wasn't the screens at the stage not in use not showing the action on the live stage ??

Water outlets. Free drinking water was in plentiful supply and was a big plus. Minor issue was they could have done with putting down metal grates as the ground around them became very muddy.

Shelter areas. Apart from Bohemia bar and stage/tent there was nowhere to get out of the rain. It's Britain, it rains a lot !! After a soaking during Airbourne then H&H on Saturday we were all freezing later on. Add a couple more shelter / seated areas next year please. The under 12's free attracted a lot of families and boosted the attendance so cater for us a bit better next time please.

Main Stage. I did think it was odd how it went steeply down hill behind the sound desk on the main stage, can't work that one out. Luckily we discovered far left of main stage was a good viewing point. Maybe next year they could work out how to take better advantage of the natural slopes.

Screens. Need bigger ones next year and more, should have had 2 at the 2nd stage. Also one outside the Bohemia tent would have saved security hassles when Coheed, Thunder and Corey Taylor had the place bursting at the seams.

Set times. Why did the NIN set time get cut ? If it was due to earlier bands over-running then somebody needs shot. Condsidering they were one of the biggest bands of the weekend, and playing their last ever UK gig, 45 mins out of the alloted 1 hour was crap. My son, who loves NIN, was raging at how short it was, although he loved what they played.

Monster area. This area took up too much space. In the early hours it was way too loud, us old folks (and young kids) like some sleep. Hearing the same songs and the same DJ rambling the same shite 3 nights on the trot done my head in.

Fairground area. Not sure why they have these at music festivals, it would seem better to use the space for more toilets or a nice seated catering area. I think with the accident that happened nobody would complain if there was no fairground next year. We all hope the injured boy makes quick and full recovery.
Cheers Pete

Doishy

Postby Doishy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:21 pm

Loved pretty much all of the arena especially the monster camp dj every night. I despise having to sleep so soon after the bands finished and silent disco did not appeal so therefore this saved me. Great music, dj was cool as can be. Met loadsa nice people, got owned by the tree stump of death (tsod) and participated in like 5-6 redneck wall of deaths.
Can people do me a favour and list as many songs with artists that they remember being playe dthere as i cannae remember at all and am trying to make a playlist, thanks :D
:mrgreen:

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:39 pm

Doishy wrote:Can people do me a favour and list as many songs with artists that they remember being playe dthere as i cannae remember at all and am trying to make a playlist, thanks :D
:mrgreen:

Metallica Setlist

1.Blackened
2.Creeping Death
3.Fuel
4.Of Wolf And Man
5.Fade To Black
6.Broken, Beat And Scarred
7.Cyanide
8.Sad But True
9.One
10.All Nightmare Long
11.The Day That Never Comes
12.Master Of Puppets
13.Dyers Eve
14.Nothing Else Matters
15.Enter Sandman
16.Stone Cold Crazy
17.Hit The Lights
18.Seek & Destroy

Mastodon Setlist

1.Oblivion
2.Megalodon
3.Blood and Thunder
4.The Czar
5.Crack The Skye
6.Iron Tusk
7.March of the Fire Ants

(I'll add to this post eventually as more setlists go up online. Alternatively, maybe we should make a new thread for this?)

luks

Postby luks » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:43 am

I thought the staggered timetable was an act of genius but could do with maybe a few minutes more between bands, it seemed some bands started literally as you cheered the previous band off stage, but still brilliant idea.

I personally didn't notice the sloping by the stages, must've just picked good spots?

One idea to improve next year - when one band is performing they could show it on the screens on the other stage? I missed a few bands because I wanted to maintain a good spot for the next band on but would have been good to have watched it up on the screens while I waited.

Oh... and drop the guitar hero performances on the main stage! Tragic!

add

Postby add » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:48 am

only problem i had that i dont think has been mentioned yet was boheimia, luckily i got to see every band i wanted to there but i really think the tent should have been either open sided (like the big top at the isle of wight fest) so that if it gets full they can close it but people outside dont have to miss it.... or have a big screen outside

OLDbutROCKEDlonger

Postby OLDbutROCKEDlonger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:02 am

what about putting the main stage at the bottom of the hill (near jackson truck) and second stage where main stage was? use the vendors to create an L-shape border. This would also provide a quick route between pits for those wishing to dash between bands and a calmer route further up the hill? :music-rockon:

beaver

Postby beaver » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:31 am

the main stage rig was amazing one of the most amazing rigs i have ever seen but in comparison the rig for the second stage was unexceptably bad the idea of 2 equal stages was clearly crap i have honestly worked on bigger rigs for local amateur pantos if you are going to have the 2 stage idea you cant have one stage with a rig that looks like you dug it out of a back cupboard the fact that you could hear tasllica's sound check during sevenfold was ridiculous and at one point during a7x i realised that the line array wasn't even doing anything and all the noise was coming from the bins and the onstage moniters which is utterly ridiculous. i also thought that having a T bar and a D on the mainstage was ridiculous fantastic way to seperate everyone from the action people want to pit open the crowds up.
ImageImage Boson Rum Bones
Team Sonisphere wrote
And one more time with feeling...

....SLIPKNOT ARE NOT PLAYING SONISPHERE UK!

pyrateprincess

Postby pyrateprincess » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:40 am

pyrateprincess wrote:im 5ft 4" and i couldnt see anything on the main stage, all weekend! I came with my boyf who is 6ft 7" (emmjay) and he had a great view for both stages, but it really put a dampener on the whole festival for me. Even with the two screens, at times, i couldnt even see those. This needs to be addressed and the main stage repositioned at the bottom of a hill, possibly where the jager stage was?, as this would give a great advantage to my fellow shorties!

I'm 5"2! :lol: At one point my 6"3' friend crouched so that he was level with me and said it was the first realisation he had of just how bad a view shorter people get. So it is a shite situation, I could barely see any of the bands and it ruined it for me. The best place if you need a little extra height (if you can get it) is right in front of that T section splitting the main stage, because the metal on the floor added about an inch. However, that area lacked the atmosphere of the front of the stage for everyone but the headliners which sucked. Compromise, eh? I tried to get my mate to lift me onto his shoulders during Nothing Else Matters and the security guys were just not having it :/[/quote]

yeah my other half did that and said its no wonder shorter people get bored at gigs/festivals cos you can never see anything.
We did move around several times at each stage but to no avail!

I gotta complain about the NIN set tho cos that was shockingly short-one of the best sets of the weekend and the fact it was their last show cannot justify the paltry 45mins they got. alot of people around me walked away after their set and were fuming.

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”