Food and Drink

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
wibblefran

Re: Food and Drink

Postby wibblefran » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:00 pm

Bah, I shouldve tried the yorkshire pud stall. I was dissapointed with one of the 'hog roast' stalls which gave what looked like a promising baguette full of goodness; then I saw the sloppy tin bowl full of soggy stuffing too late, and tried to disguise it by splodging lots of apple sauce on. It was never going to win any michelin stars :lol: The other half liked the bacon rolls though from that 'smoked' place.. kinda hard to go wrong with bacon tho :bow-yellow:

Emmjay

Postby Emmjay » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:28 pm

Good variety, still would like to see something healthier - how hard would it be to have a pasta and salad stall or two?

Something like that?

Was expensive too in places, even moreso than usual festivals. I saw the baked potato stand - £2 for a baked potato, great, baked potato with fillings £5 not great.

Some places took the perverbial, other places were reasonable. We only ate in the arena on the sunday as we cooked our own food on friday and saturday.
It won't go away til we drink all your beer!

FMC number - 1k918484 (if someone wants to kindly use it I will buy them a pint) :D

Download 04
Download 05
Reading 05
Download 06
Download 07
Reading 07
Rock Am Ring 08
Sonisphere 09

fatperson

Postby fatperson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:13 pm

I had no real problem with the selection. And I'm a veggie with a very eager appetite. But seeing as one of the veggie stalls had run out of quite a few items by Sunday lunchtime I reckon there's plenty of scope for more 'healthy' food stalls.

Could do with places to get some proper vitamins a nutrients rather than stodge and protein.

Prices were more than I'd expected but did vary around the venue. If you picked carefully it was possible to get better value for money.

metallica_girl

Postby metallica_girl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:46 pm

Well impressed with the range and choice of food, also quantity of water taps.

Not impressed with paying £2 for a cup of piss weak liquid masquerading as tea, though. Serves me right for being too hung over to boil my own kettle on Sunday morning I suppose.
Knebworth 2011 - Big 4. You know it makes sense.

dave_nicholls

Postby dave_nicholls » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:56 pm

For the most part the food was pretty good although very expensive. The noodle bar (which everyone has said was good) was the only down point of the weekend when they served us raw chicken (and I mean raw chicken). My girlfriend took it back and they gave her a different dish for free, when we went back the next day however and had beef it did not go down quite so well and we both spent a good few hours feeling not so well.

The chicken wrap place was amazing though and made up for the shite-ness of the Hot Wok Noodle Bar...

lucy351132

Postby lucy351132 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:06 pm

deadwing wrote:
xHarlotx wrote:The noodle bar next to saturn was AMAZING!
Cor chicken noodles with bbq sauce, it was lush as! Didn't mind paying silly prrices for it coz it was a massive portion of pure tastiness!
Got a pound off too sunday night =D

This one was at Download too and it was great then as well - Yes, the prices were up there, but the portions generally were good. The wraps were massive and full of filling. As we were coming onto site on both days we had a big breakfast before arriving -Tesco in Stevenage one day, Maccy D's the next- looks like a fair few people were coming off site yesterday morning to do the same as the shuttle buses were full coming INTO Stevenage and McDonalds was packed

I agree about the wraps - they were great value too as my husband and I could easily share one for a fiver. Loads of filling!!! :D

dave2103

Postby dave2103 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:33 pm

i was very happy with the food .....

dominos was a great addition and the array of noodle bars were fantastic :music-rockon:

Hit The Lights

Postby Hit The Lights » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:36 pm

i ate at most of the stands through the weekend :D

i only had 1 problem. the hog roast stall near the dodgems. the guy that served me was rude and didn't even know what he was doing. i had to explain my order of 'chicken, chips and a tea' at least 5 times. then when i go sit down with my food i open the box and the chicken was 95% that batter crap.

Driftwood

Postby Driftwood » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:48 pm

Aw I missed that yorkshire pudding stand, yorkshire filled with mash would have been luverly. I ended up going for egg baps, chips, pizza & tempura with egg fried rice, not the healthiest but what the hell. Yeah food was average, no complaints but food vans were too close to the stage so it was cramped, messy & smelly.

HELL63

Postby HELL63 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:10 am

wish I'd tried the Yorkie pud stand.

the chip stand, near bohemia bar - chips with garlic mayo,mmmmmmm

Daviephd

Postby Daviephd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:33 am

Pretty good,

The only hint I would give is to research the Healthy T food village at T in the park and try something similar.

There were a couple of the hot dog/burger vans selling food of dubious quality but most of what I had was really good.

Noodle bar at Saturn Stage was brilliant, Salt Chilli Chicken was so good I had it three times over the weekend.

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:20 am

Didn't need to use the munch stands that much, though I did enjoy the spud I got on the Saturday more than the one on Sunday

And the Super Nachos were lush too - very filling, very nice - good service

No complaints about the bar other than lack of Jack Daniels - didn't see any advertised so assumed none was available
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

Lyekka

Postby Lyekka » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:30 am

fluffygrue wrote:The organic hog roast was delicious.

did any1 else notice the irony pointed out by the rest of my group that the hog roast place at the top arena entrance (camping side) was next to the police station? :P

And OMG the black noodle bar by the Saturn stage, I worshipped that place and its noodle-y goodness @ download, was well chuffed to see it back again daily dose of lush, massive portions of noodles ftw.... U think I could just get them to set that van up permanently in my back garden after the festival season, so I can have noodles on tap?

I also lol'd at the fact the cider on offer at the bars being more expensive then larger - didn't bother me I stuck to larger but not so good for others I was with, even though the cider, imo was more of a premium brand then the larger on offer, would have been nicer to see more equality for the cider drinkers :P
2009: Download, Sonisphere UK, Bloodstock and Reading festivals - +many more!
2010: Download, Sonisphere Poland, Sonisphere UK and Bloodstock festivals - +many many more!
Black Founder Member's Club Member number: 1k943442 - Pimp my FMC!

ck01

Postby ck01 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:46 am

2 portions of fish and chips and two drinks - £16.50!!!!!!!!! - Talk about bend me over and take me up the wrongin' - having said that usual festival prices ;)

Also relax the policy on taking in bottled water, I was told to throw away a 1 litre bottle of water which was sealed. A bit harsh I think!

noobpotato

Postby noobpotato » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:30 pm

All i have to say is dominos pizza. It was a little expensive but when i saw it i was just like DAH!

S_Exile

Postby S_Exile » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:29 pm

Just a few little concerns here.

- Not all stalls were charging the same, especially during the big acts. Not sure if I was just robbed, but a 1/4lb burger that was £3.50 at most stalls went up to £4-50 just before Metallica at one particular van.

- No Beer on offer! Would be nice to see a dedicated "beer" tent for us who prefer Ale to Lager/Cider. Download used to have a dedicated Guiness bar.

Other than that the prices were about what you expect and same goes for the quality. Not entirely convinced by the "cup exchange" idea. While it gave some folk an incentive to make a few quid, I'd rather the beer was just cheaper in the first place. (I know someone will say it was to encourage tidying up... but its a bit futile when there was no return for the cardboard carrying things, nor for any bottled drinks etc!).

otherwise pretty good.

bakers123

Postby bakers123 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:55 pm

just want to say two words "MORE BINS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:pray:

jadeylemonadey

Postby jadeylemonadey » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:06 pm

oh my god, the chicken tikka wrap with garlic mayonaise PHWOAR haha
great variety, pretty good prices considering
i still found it really weird that the food stalls were in the actual bands bit, is that normal for a fest? like fair enough having them in the arcadey/bar/rides bit leading up to where you watch the bands, but i just found it a bit weird that they were in the middle of the crowds lol

Catey-Cat

Postby Catey-Cat » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:01 pm

I would have liked a couple more chicken-orientated stalls personally. There was a fried chicken stall at Download this year that was really tasty...

LOVED the tea and toast stand outside the Bohemia tent.

More bins would have been a good idea.

Oh and the waffle stall. Mmmmmmm. :D Much needed calories before Metallica!

Also, the Slushies from the Ice Cream Van outside the Bohemia tent were a brilliant idea. More slushies next year! (Maybe alcoholic ones? ;) )

VIP BBQ was very tasty. That can come back. :)
Help Keep a Giraffe Alive- Use this FMC code- 1K919104

Image Image

Rockandale

Postby Rockandale » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Good selection of food, though agree more healthy/veggie ones would've been nice.
Very good to separate soft drinks from the main bars. Bars nice and big and lovely to be undercover, if it had been hot this would've been packed out. More seating inside/outside bars would be appreciated. There was a big outside seating area at Download which was always full, - it's not too great sitting on food splattered grass all day.]
Very disappointed there was no beer, just lager, cider & spirits. I thought it had been said there would be, lucky we took some cans to the campsite. The lager was watered down tasteless p*ss, the cider was nice though. :text-givemebeer:

Shewolfmegadeth

Postby Shewolfmegadeth » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:45 pm

As good as they can get I guess :) Lots of choice, normal prices.
UP THE IRONS!

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:12 am

Food was great and at the prices I fully expected.

The waffles were gorgeous!!

Also liked the idea of 24 catering in the campsite - great for me being awake at 7am on Sunday morning starving.
Would of liked to see pear cider there though, great idea having soft drinks seperate and I found the bar service really quick and easy.

JustDoug

Postby JustDoug » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:56 pm

the tea & toast stall was pretty sweet, me and my girlfriend had toast and a tea each for only £3 total! compared to most other stalls i thought this was pretty good price for tea!!

didn't really need to buy beer or anything because the security let me take my 24 pack into the arena! haha =]

HearMeNow

Postby HearMeNow » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:50 pm

Good choice of food usual fest prices, plenty of water points and water given out in the pits so no complaints there.

Good access to the site arriving and leaving.

Good general organisation of bands etc...

Drinks - All I could find was lemonade and apple juice - no Bitter or Ale WTF Sonisphere - FAQs on this website stated there would be Bitter?

Hexi-stoves and BBQs are $hit full stop, just brewing a cup of tea takes an eternity, there has to be a way to let sensible people use gas stoves for a brew and fvck the idiots off.

Lastly, I guess there's probably technical issues and some sort of etiquette whereby the headliners have to "blow everybody away" but can somebody find a way to give all the bands "headliner sound" PLEASE. The bands slogging their asses off deserve it and we've paid good money to see them.

Who will till the soil of these barren black remains?

Rainybaby

Postby Rainybaby » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:08 pm

jadeylemonadey wrote:oh my god, the chicken tikka wrap with garlic mayonaise PHWOAR haha
great variety, pretty good prices considering
i still found it really weird that the food stalls were in the actual bands bit, is that normal for a fest? like fair enough having them in the arcadey/bar/rides bit leading up to where you watch the bands, but i just found it a bit weird that they were in the middle of the crowds lol

OH MY GOD the chicken wraps were AMAZING! I could live off them forever!
RainSunGone wrote:
Rainybaby wrote:
RainSunGone wrote:Marry me?

At sonisphere please? With beer and metal playing in the background? And pot noodle instead of wedding cake?

I think I love you.

Baines wrote:YOU'RE MY WIFE NOW.

http://www.myspace.com/sexypantsbeth
http://www.facebook.com/rockfraggle

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”