Parking and Travel

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
fluffygrue

Re: Parking and Travel

Postby fluffygrue » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:08 pm

We bought tickets including free coach travel from Manchester - the free travel was a big bonus and persuaded us to buy tickets. Aside from Seetickets being completely hopeless at organising anything (the 'coach tickets' ended up being a generic sheet of paper with no booking details on.. photocopier anyone?), we had a very smooth journey there and back.

So, top marks for that idea. :)
Melanie

Missy

Postby Missy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Came down in the car, was no back up outside the festival getting in or out, very friendly group in the car park gave us a jump start this morning too :D Didnt see any sercurity/police about the car park, presuming there was at night tho?
When your drunk shake your ass like you know how to dance...
<3Keep your hands to yourself, these lips belong to someone else...<3

Eycreta Tauri Astutos Frustrantul

beLIEveR

Postby beLIEveR » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:53 pm

£20 for a day's parking seemed steep (about right for the weekend, I felt £10 or at most £15 would've been right for the day), and there weren't enough floodlights. But traffic was managed extremely well and the people directing people from the arena to the car park or buses did a very good job.

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:57 pm

you can never have to many signs to the train station or sonisphere
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

BugJemm

Postby BugJemm » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:41 pm

No queues getting in or out of the car park early Friday afternoon or leaving Sunday evening, although we started to move back in the crowd when Metallica left the stage the first time to get a head start and watched Seek and Destroy from near the Bohemia tent.

Parking was a long way from the (family) camping, but that's on the whole unavoidable at a festival this size...and it was much closer than Glastonbury! The wheelbarrows were helpful in that respect.

It would have been good to have more security/police to discourage the many touts in the car park from doing their stuff and leaning on people's cars...and to patrol the car parks in general, as I never saw any security when we returned to the car. And yet everywhere else there were multiple stewards grouped together all telling you the same thing.

The second car park field needed more signage and stewards and better lighting when we left on Sunday night - the track was so bumpy that my bug scraped the ground a couple of times on the way out, which I could have avoided if I could see better. We couldn't get onto the A1 northbound sliproad, which was closed off by the police incident support. Whether this was closed off because of an accident or was a deliberate decision by the police, they should have provided diversion signs to get people back onto the northbound A1. Not Team Sonisphere's fault I know, but...

Overall, though - much better than expected.

pyrateprincess

Postby pyrateprincess » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:45 pm

arrived 2pm fri afternoon and left last night after metallica-no probs well managed apart from the slip road onto A1 was closed so had to redirect miles out (following a tomtom)

wibblefran

Postby wibblefran » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:46 pm

lucy351132 wrote:The car park we were in was VERY dangerous (right at the back under the power lines). I really hurt my back tripping over in the ruts, which were invisible in the dark. I was very worried as there were no stewards anywhere near to help if someone did really hurt themselves. My husband did complain to the Stewards who were in the next field down, but they blamed Sonisphere and said that they were advised that lighting was needed but refused to pay for it. Who knows what the truth is..?

I would be suprised if someone didn't end up with a broken ankle or leg. I was in terrible pain and even being driven over the bumps was agony. I then had to suffer a 2 1/2 hour drive home. Anyone know who it's best to send an offical complaint email to?

Theres a contact button on the main website - I used it earlier today to complain about the parking too. We stopped a marshall on the way back to our car on the first night and asked him how on earth could we find our car in the dark and he shrugged and laughed and looked a bit embarassed and said 'there was supposed to be more lighting but....'. We were tripping all over the place walking back and a few people around us were as well. The furthest end of the field was full of gouges from tractors etc and cars were bouncing up and down all over on the way out... hopefully this will be improved for next year. Hopefully.I get that it was better than some festivals for those camping but for those of us staying elsewhere/coming for the day it was a bit poor.

loulouk

Postby loulouk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:11 pm

I'll bullet point this or I'll rant. As a disclaimer, I loved the fest and this was the only bit that pissed me right off.
* It took us 50 mins to walk back to our car last night. Neither of us were drunk. We were about as far away as it was possible to be.
* The ruts. FFS. Which frakking idiot thought it was a good idea to not light a field full of ruts? If it's you, I KEEL you. It was light when we walked back (loong story), in the dark it must have been treacherous
* Signage. From Hitchin, signs to Soni directed you to VIP/Guest. We didn't want VIP/Guest. 5 miles or so later we finally found Soni. Via Old Knebworth, Stevenage....
* Finding the car. I'm _good_ with locating gooseberry, we GPS locked where we were cos I knew we weren't finding it again without it. Our landmarks on the Sat? A tree. Yes. A tree. WTFF?
* Security. There wasn't any. Except on the gate. In all of the fields we walked through to get to our car, not a single steward.

Good things
* Police. There were a whole tonne of them. Surrounding a broken into car in one of the fields we walked past. Last night we finally got to the furthest car park to find 3 police men surveying the fields, who were lovely, kind and tried to give us directions out of the car park whilst avoiding the ruts.

Summary: Laying metal gridding down over mud is not good enough. Ruts need covering too. And more security. And get rid of the sodding touts.

lucy351132

Postby lucy351132 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:37 pm

loulouk wrote:I'll bullet point this or I'll rant. As a disclaimer, I loved the fest and this was the only bit that pissed me right off.
* It took us 50 mins to walk back to our car last night. Neither of us were drunk. We were about as far away as it was possible to be.
* The ruts. FFS. Which frakking idiot thought it was a good idea to not light a field full of ruts? If it's you, I KEEL you. It was light when we walked back (loong story), in the dark it must have been treacherous
* Signage. From Hitchin, signs to Soni directed you to VIP/Guest. We didn't want VIP/Guest. 5 miles or so later we finally found Soni. Via Old Knebworth, Stevenage....
* Finding the car. I'm _good_ with locating gooseberry, we GPS locked where we were cos I knew we weren't finding it again without it. Our landmarks on the Sat? A tree. Yes. A tree. WTFF?
* Security. There wasn't any. Except on the gate. In all of the fields we walked through to get to our car, not a single steward.

Good things
* Police. There were a whole tonne of them. Surrounding a broken into car in one of the fields we walked past. Last night we finally got to the furthest car park to find 3 police men surveying the fields, who were lovely, kind and tried to give us directions out of the car park whilst avoiding the ruts.

Summary: Laying metal gridding down over mud is not good enough. Ruts need covering too. And more security. And get rid of the sodding touts.

I could not agree with you more! It sounds like we were in roughly the same area and, trust me, the field WAS treacherous in the dark...my back still bloody aches. I'm not letting anyone within two feet of me. I woke up every time I moved last night.

And yes, I agree about the security / stewards hunting in packs...I can see why they would want them in pairs, but to have six stood by the same hedge and not one to help out in the parking areas? Who's bright bloody idea was that? Haven't they heard of torches? All I kept thinking was; " some poor bastard could be lying in the long grass with sodding concusion and noone will find them until morning - if they haven't been run over by a car before hand!" The ruts were so bad, I don't think anyone would have been able to tell the difference between running over something they shouldn't and the correct route to the exit.

As in a previous post, I too saw cars getting stuck trying to cross the ruts - on banged really hard onto a lower bit of land and the car was stuck by it's rear bumper. Luckly it was a front wheel drive, else they would still be there now!

wibblefran

Postby wibblefran » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:58 pm

..and the ticket touts weaving in and out of the cars and having a good look inside of the car windows/car boots, including the 'charity' guy who it now transpires was giving out stickers to put on tents which were later found to have been cleaned out of valuables (read it elsewhere in the forums). Yes, you shouldnt leave valuables in cars but also they shouldnt blatantly have people who are dodgy walking round the car park and site. I think we've concluded that the car parks need improving :lol:

lucy351132

Postby lucy351132 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 pm

wibblefran wrote:..and the ticket touts weaving in and out of the cars and having a good look inside of the car windows/car boots, including the 'charity' guy who it now transpires was giving out stickers to put on tents which were later found to have been cleaned out of valuables (read it elsewhere in the forums). Yes, you shouldnt leave valuables in cars but also they shouldnt blatantly have people who are dodgy walking round the car park and site. I think we've concluded that the car parks need improving :lol:

Yep, I think we've pretty much got this one wrapped up! :pray:

srreid

Postby srreid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:54 pm

My main grumble was the shuttle buses.

Ok they were free, but we left London around half 10 on the saturday, and there was a huge queue waiting from 11am to get to the site. Was only a few miles away, so we thought we'd be there in plenty of time for the first band - nope - barely got there for the end of Alien Ant Farm. Only 2 double deckers were running it seemed. Then more single deckers turned up eventually, but we on the first double decker still had to wait for all the rest of the buses to fill up - did the other drivers not know where they were going or something???

So we planned on leaving an hour earlier on the sunday - even then when we got to Stevenage station, didn't look like the buses were going to be much more use - the first band being on at 11:20 instead of 12 like the day before. 5 of us jumped in a taxi who dropped us off just outside the carpark entrance and we walked the rest of the way - just making it in time for Buckcherry.

So some thought needs to go into the transport situation for next year - start the buses earlier on the saturday and sundays, and make sure there are more of them on!

On the other hand, never had any problems with the buses leaving the site.
Sonisphere 2009 and 10 DID indeed rock - anyone coming for the weekend this year please use my FMC code to get some exclusive goodies! Thanks in anticipation...

FMC code - 1k946372

skinnyeddy

Postby skinnyeddy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:00 am

Shuttle buses were great although their could've been more from the station during Friday.
I would complain about touts but considering i'd won some tickets and couldn't do anything else with the other one I sold it for £20. Nowhere near what it's worth but then again it's £20 I didn't have in the first place :D

Keirico

Postby Keirico » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:14 am

Just thought I'd say I thought the drop off point thingy worked very well :handgestures-thumbup:
last.fm Just wacking my brothers and my own FMC codes in here so we don't forget them for next year 1k919074, 1k919075

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:24 am

Always thought that at festivals they should seperate the 'here for the weekend' and 'day trippers' on the car park. Put the day trippers closer to the exits which will get everyone out quicker and will help people find their cars rather than having to pick your way through lines of cars that aren't going anywhere.

dookie1

Postby dookie1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:35 am

I got to stevanage about 6.30pm friday,i followed a clear sonisphere/knebworth sign from the outskirts of the town which led me up a narrow road to the site only to be told i had arrived at the vip area. When i asked the stewards how i get to the main car park they looked at me like id landed from mars,one of them was a total dork and neither of them knew where it was. From there it was very poorley signposted, even from knebworth centre,you would not have even known anything was going on. I drove to every end of stevanage untill i eventually found 1main sign to the main site at 8pm! Get more signs to the main car park next year :?

ck01

Postby ck01 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:38 am

For me parking was one of the few bugbears of an otherwise good day. Only coming down for the Sunday I was quite stunned when asked for £20 for parking (I feel £10 would be more than reasonable for 1 day, maybe £20 for the weekend). Also when returning to the car later that night to find lighting was more or less non-existant and a complete lack of stewards directing the traffic which led to a bit of a free for all. Given the cost of parking I would have expect better.

My tips for parking next year

1) Charge less for daily parking maybe £10
2) Possibly put up some lighting to help people find cars better at the end or alternatively
3) Create 'zones' in the parking area to assist people finding their cars in the dark
4) Parking attendants to assist with directing traffic out of the festival site.

Whinge over though, congrats on a what a great day!

metallica_girl

Postby metallica_girl » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:29 pm

Think I've said this in another thread - but here goes - nobody seemed to know where motorcycles were meant to park. Figured it out by riding round till we saw other bikes. Also, could we have some boards to park on next year? Did use a mudbud (device meant to stop bikes from sinking into the mud) but still sank into the mud and it took a good ten minutes of rocking the bike to get the stand loose. Other bikers said the same thing.
Knebworth 2011 - Big 4. You know it makes sense.

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:45 pm

ck01 wrote:For me parking was one of the few bugbears of an otherwise good day. Only coming down for the Sunday I was quite stunned when asked for £20 for parking (I feel £10 would be more than reasonable for 1 day, maybe £20 for the weekend). Also when returning to the car later that night to find lighting was more or less non-existant and a complete lack of stewards directing the traffic which led to a bit of a free for all. Given the cost of parking I would have expect better.

2) Possibly put up some lighting to help people find cars better at the end or alternatively
3) Create 'zones' in the parking area to assist people finding their cars in the dark
4) Parking attendants to assist with directing traffic out of the festival site.

Only problem with charging less for one day parking would be those arrive on Friday could easily say 'Yes, we are only here for the day' and then park all weekend - even if they issued a different colour single day pass, it would be pretty difficult to enforce unless you had someone going around the site on the Sunday, taking down the reg of the offending cars and then having to go via the DVLA to find out who they belonged to.

Of course, if they separated the day trippers from the full weekenders as I suggested a few posts up, it would be easier to do . It would also mean a smaller area would need to be illuminated because the weekenders, generally speaking, wouldn't be leaving until Monday in daylight.

corney91

Postby corney91 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:58 pm

ck01 wrote:For me parking was one of the few bugbears of an otherwise good day. Only coming down for the Sunday I was quite stunned when asked for £20 for parking (I feel £10 would be more than reasonable for 1 day, maybe £20 for the weekend). Also when returning to the car later that night to find lighting was more or less non-existant and a complete lack of stewards directing the traffic which led to a bit of a free for all. Given the cost of parking I would have expect better.

Wasn't parking £10 if you prebooked it?

neonpinkish

Postby neonpinkish » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:24 pm

I think it would have been better if the different parking fields had been colour coded or something - my boyfriend and I spent about 45 minutes looking for the car in the pitch black at 1am after Metallica, it wouldn't have been hard to signpost/number/colour code the different car parking areas.

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:58 pm

Defintitely had a problem when we arrived at the venue to collect all of our tickets at the box office only to be told that despite the fact we had printed out the information saying we had paid for parking and were collecting at the box office that we had to pay again! The people at the gate were absolutely obnoxious about the whole thing and basically wanted another £20. Anyway we didnt pay and drove in anyway pretending to be dropping people off but I was very unimpressed with that part! Found the car park fine.

For next year there needs to be some organisation between the box office and the entrance to car park as it was a long drive from Ireland and we didnt need the hassle from the car park people when we finally got there!
My FMC Number:1k992916 DO NOT miss Sonisphere 2014- be there..be part of the magic!!!

ImageImage

Nene

Postby Nene » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:57 pm

Can't comment on parking as we came by train, but will say that the shuttle buses was a great idea. I do wish there had been more, as we had to wait about 2 hours in the queue for one on Friday afternoon, but wasn't bad weather so we weren't that bothered.
Waited till about 12.30 to get the bus back on Monday, and the queue was moving pretty quick until the last few people, we sat about waiting for ages then, not sure what happened.
All in all, brilliant idea with the buses!

pete.g

Postby pete.g » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:58 pm

Access into the site at about 7PM on Friday and out agian at about 8:30AM on Monday was a breeze couldn't have been better. Just wish the 375 miles drive to/from home had been as easy !!
Cheers Pete

HellsWench

Postby HellsWench » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Didn't camp over as we only live about 8 miles away. Easy in and out the car park Friday (for FMC party), same on Saturday although parked a bit further down and on Sunday we were right at the bottom of the car park (according to google maps, 2 miles on foot to the arena each way!!) Took about an hour to get out Sunday night, I think they could have filtered the cars out of various car parks a bit at a time, as when we finally started moving the top and middle car parks were practically empty. As for the charge, we pre booked our parking for £10 with the tickets and didn't have to pay any extra no amount of times in an out of the car park so based on that thought car parking charges were really reasonable. I remember the problems after the Robbie Williams gigs, took some people up to 8 hours to get out of the car park so not complaining at an hour.

I agree there should be better lighting, managed to find my car on both Saturday and Sunday (just remembered how many rows from the end etc), and noticed some clever dude near us used the panic button on his car alarm to locate the car, nice one!.

Also a bit of fun whilst we were waiting to move was the horn renditions :)

Please use my FMC code when booking your tix 1k989117

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”