Parking and Travel

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
rockgeek

Parking and Travel

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:46 am

:?:

jon206

Car Parks

Postby jon206 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:48 am

I had a day ticket last night and spent an Hour and a half not moving at all when I tried to leave.

No sign of any stewards in the car parks meaning there was a giant free for all with a massive bottle neck at the exit onto the A1M Junction.

Only stewards were at the split between the car parks and pick up area waving their hands for people to move on.... Not Helpful!!!

quahog5

Re: Parking and Travel

Postby quahog5 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 am

Arrived at 11am on Friday, straight in no problems. Left Mon at 7.30am again no problems.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:15 am

I had no issues as well in VIP land.

Friday at 11am and last night straight after Metallica.

metallicagirl

Postby metallicagirl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 am

Something wasn't quite right with the exiting of the carpark...

We were walking through it at about 11:30pm Sunday and there were queues of cars at a stand still coming from several directions that did not move an inch for the 10 minutes walk we walked past them all.

Lucky for us, we were in what seemed to be the farthest car park (arrived Sunday 12 noon) and we were out in 5 minutes.

Jenbic99

Postby Jenbic99 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:10 am

I found leaving last night was a pain in the ass.
We arrived at around 3pm on the Thursday and it took us around a hour and a half to get on the road after Metallica.
Next time, they need a system or something to stop people jumping the que that were parked closer to the exit.

EvadBlack

Postby EvadBlack » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:30 pm

I had no problems getting in and out of the car park - arrived at around 5pm on the Friday and left at 10am this morning - much better than Reading/Leeds/Glastonbury in that respect.

However there needs to be some signs in the main car park. With basically a massive flat piece of ground there's very little in identifying features by which to navigate. I spent about 20 mins looking for my car when I headed back for food on the Friday and I'm pretty sure that wasn't all down to the little drink I'd had. Even numbers at the end of rows would be useful.

Festivals: 2003: Leeds -- 2004: Leeds -- 2005: Leeds -- 2006: Leeds -- 2007: Glastonbury, Latitude, Garden Nef Party, Pukkelpop, Reading -- 2008: Reading -- 2009: Sonisphere, Reading -- 2010: Glastonbury, Truck, Sonisphere, Reading

NINtallica

Postby NINtallica » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:36 pm

No problems getting out of the site and finding my way to the A1 (went through the countryside to J6).

Only problem was that there seemed to be a lot of drunk drivers wandering all over the place on the motorway.
Upcoming:
Combichrist (Camden), Avenged Sevenfold (Brixton), Disturbed/Papa Roach/Buckcherry/Halestorm (Wembley)

corney91

Postby corney91 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Driving around inside the place and leaving were all great - we had no holdup at all :)
But finding the entrance was a bit of a nightmare - we followed the "Sonisphere Knebworth" signs, which led to the exit from the drop off point, and when we asked the security guy there, he said the entrance was just along the road on the left - it was actually along the road, through the correct exits on two roundabouts, a little bit further on, and on the left... :?

steeltoes

Shuttle buses

Postby steeltoes » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to pass comment on the one part of the weekend that was crap - the shuttle buses from Stevenage station.

Friday: The stewards admitted that they had under estimated the number of people using the shuttle buses therefore you would expect them to correct this on Saturday - NO

Saturday: Another big queue and only 2 buses doing the round trip. 1 hour wait. Stewards said they would be sorting it for Sunday. Saturday night, still only 2 buses but not such a long wait to get back.

Sunday: 1 BUS !!!!! BIG QUEUE !!!!! MISSED BUCKCHERRY - PI**ED OFF BIG TIME!!!! In the end half the queue walked it - just wished we'd made the decision to walk earlier. Sunday night was a big improvement though as they finally got their finger out and organised a load of coaches.

If they are running Sonisphere next year they need to sort this out.

Davy

Postby Davy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:13 pm

+ Buses were a great idea and in a great location.
+ Frequent and good number of coaches on the Saturday. Missed AAF on the Saturday, but that was due to the amount of people arriving then. Nevermind though.
+ Trains from Kings Cross running every half-an-hour

- On Sunday, there was only ONE working bus before 11:30, which was just plain ridiculous. They should've known that there was going to be a lot of people arriving on the Sunday before this time, especially with the addition of campers already who were using the buses. Staff were honest with us in the queue though, and tried to entertain us, but it was just plain annoying. What should've been a ten minute journey took over 1hour - more than once.

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:16 pm

I was really annoyed that I had to pay again for parking.

I had my parking ticket at box office (ticket people messed up and didnt send it), I was told the only way I could get to box office was to pay to park so we ended up paying £20.

Travel was fine and we left on the Sunday night about midnight and had no problems getting out - but then we were really lucky with our carpark.

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:29 pm

I thought the shuttle buses were exellent- There was certainly more that one bus on Sunday morning as has been suggested. I know one broke down, but there was at least three on when we were going in (Around 10 am). Last night getting off after Metallica was easy.. Loads of buses and a seperate exit from cars meant it was easy. Think the drivers were trained F1 drivers though- the speed they got up going through the underpass was scary!!

So we paid a TOTAL of £3.80 to park at Stevenage railways station.. now that's value!!!
Last edited by deadwing on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthonytats

Postby Anthonytats » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:36 pm

Just thought i would mention about the busses.
I also asked TS about how they would cope with the mass amount... and they said "there will be enough" i felt lied to quite aq bit over the weekend.

But Sonisphere did have FOUR shuttle busses running...
I was a jonas it seemed though...
Because 3 that i used broke down...
one of the the engine stopped working.
One lost all its electronics...
And then one to a resounding cheer knocked its exhaust and radiator off...
xD

The taxis though... 2 pound, and a 5 minute wait in a queue of around 100 pp0l.
Brilliant.
GearsCT wrote:You have such a huggable face

fade_to_jack wrote:i love anthony, he is my favourite boardie from sonisphere :bow-yellow:

tay

Postby tay » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:45 pm

Thought some of the car parks (had to walk 20 minutes from the arena to my car last night) were quite dangerous. Some unlit parts had rather large trenches/holes that I saw people fall in to, and I saw a car hit some large concrete casing surrounding a drainage cover that was hidden by overgrown grass, and had no light/cones etc near it.

Thought the shuttle buses were alright. Friday had just enough, Saturday had 6 vehicles doing the rounds, with one double decker sat in the Cineworld car park for some reason. Think the organisation could have been better - instead of one queue splitting in to two, how about having two queues? Because of the way they were loading the buses, everyone would have been queueing for the same time anyway, no matter which queue they were in.

Back to car parking though, getting out last night at 12.45am was amazing. Did it in about twelve minutes, and we were parked a fair distance from the A1 junction 7. Good call in closing off the motorway junction, saved loads of traffic problems.

GodHatesMeMost

Postby GodHatesMeMost » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:49 pm

I got the train from Kings X and then the shuttle bus (same in reverse coming home).

Coming in Saturday morning felt like it took forever - it only seemed like 2 buses were running. made me wonder how easy it might be to charter set trains from london (and elsewhere) that are pre-booked and tally coaches / buses to meet them on arrival?? Guessing this is either not possible or waaaay to expensive.

Return journey was better in so far as more vehicles were about but still seemed to underestimate number of bods wanting to leave this morning (Monday). i thought you wanted us all out ASAP so you could get on with cleaning up!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.

Knebworth79

Shuttle Buses

Postby Knebworth79 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:57 pm

No matter what you do, someone will always find fault. :roll: Even though it was free !

By and large, I thought that these were fine. The fact that they were free impressed me, and on Sunday night, the number of buses waiting to take us back was perfectly adequate.

I was at the bus station at 11.50 on Sunday, the queues were big, but I didn't see masses of people leaving to get alternative transport. Some, yes. But not "hordes".

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:20 pm

We were talking to the bus supervisor a fair bit over the weekend. They had 8 buses available over the weekend - 6 double deckers and 2 coaches. His job was made more difficult because he had to estimate how many people were going to be using the service at any one time- He was saying most buses on Friday - and a fair few on Saturday morning- ran with less than half the number of people they could have carried because of the amount of gear some people had. There were a few buses 'injured' over the weekend too - that metal 'landing station' at the pick up/drop off was ripping the underneath off the fully laden buses

metalmac

Postby metalmac » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:32 pm

The biggest let down was the distance from the car park to the venue..when we reached the box office, there was stil another mile to go !!!!
getting in and out wasn't a problem, but the entrace/exit wasn't manned very well everyone for themselves.

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:43 pm

That was another plus for parking in Stevenage and getting the bus- it dropped you right on the main entrance!!

Gag

Postby Gag » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:02 pm

Walk from car park to arena was too long. We had 3 kids withn us and various bags.....very hard and stressful start to the day. Maybe Consider familly parking closer to the entrance.
Walking back was dangerous.... needs lighting.
Getting out was a nightmare.....we sat still for 45 mins when we got to our car.
Getting in was really good though....no traffice jams at all

Cerpin Taxt

Postby Cerpin Taxt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:04 pm

Fantastic!

I arrived at a good time and I didn't have to wait in a queue for a second. I also left late on Monday and didn't have to wait then either. I was seriously impressed.
http://www.last.fm/user/Shadow2nd
1k982241

Time til we the gates burst open and we rush in like a plague upon the land:

lucy351132

Postby lucy351132 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:06 pm

The car park we were in was VERY dangerous (right at the back under the power lines). I really hurt my back tripping over in the ruts, which were invisible in the dark. I was very worried as there were no stewards anywhere near to help if someone did really hurt themselves. My husband did complain to the Stewards who were in the next field down, but they blamed Sonisphere and said that they were advised that lighting was needed but refused to pay for it. Who knows what the truth is..?

I would be suprised if someone didn't end up with a broken ankle or leg. I was in terrible pain and even being driven over the bumps was agony. I then had to suffer a 2 1/2 hour drive home. Anyone know who it's best to send an offical complaint email to?

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:20 pm

No issues at all with parking though the queue for the shuttles looked very long this morning. They did have eight buses lined up though

Had we left Sunday night after Metallica, we would've had issues finding our car and generally finding our way around the car park if there was no lights. Something to look into for next year
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

PaganWolf

Postby PaganWolf » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:24 pm

Thought the parking in VIP was great, although not being allowed off site until 8am was a bit of a pain. I could understand it, but felt a bit bad when we were told we could come and go pretty much as we pleased, but during bands it would obviously be advised against. Other than that it was really cool not having to lug all the camping gear far!
Please use my FMC code. 1k910316
Lucky enough to be 1 of 83. Join us this year!
www.severedfifth.com

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”