Family Camping

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
rockgeek

Family Camping

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:46 am

:?:

Etherus

Re: Family Camping

Postby Etherus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 am

A bit more stewarding of people as the start pitching would be a good idea and then you'd be able to fit more people into the same space. As it was some people just randomly pitched and if you were to reorganise the lot you'd probably have 2 extra fields.

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:58 pm

Really agree with the above comment, we arrived Saturday morning as soon as gates opened and we found it hard to find a space, we did in the end but there were people arriving later on with family camping tickets that got turned away and told to camp in normal camping.

Shazz501

Postby Shazz501 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:07 pm

my only peeve that the no gazebo rule wasn't properly enforced,when we got there there were 3 of them and all taking up tent spaces.the toilets were bearable with little or no queues and emptied daily,the camp was nice and quiet with some pleasant people to chatter to.only thing was the walking did me in,but that was to be expected from being the furthest camp :D but over all it was great,really enjoyed it :D

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Oh and they run out of family camping wristbands which meant we had to keep showing our tickets every time we wanted to get onto the campsite.

The campsite was nice and peacefull though and everyone was nice.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Plenty of toilets and water points. Staff were good at asking for wristbands, camp was peaceful, good lighting.

The ground turned in to a bit of a marsh outside the water point in Family Camping towards the end of the weekend though.

The most annoying thing for us was waking up Saturday morning to find that someone had pitched up their tent in the tiniest gap next to our tent, unhooked our guy lines and wasn't actually fully within the white markings, should have been enforced, so no one went out of the markings
FMC Code - 1k949287

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:52 pm

metalicbear wrote:The most annoying thing for us was waking up Saturday morning to find that someone had pitched up their tent in the tiniest gap next to our tent, unhooked our guy lines and wasn't actually fully within the white markings, should have been enforced, so no one went out of the markings

Yeah I noticed quite a few tents outside the markers, we were lucky that we only had a two man tent so found a gap.

The family site was quite small - considering most people were bringing kids and needed big tents I think it could of been a bit bigger really.

Sprite.

Postby Sprite. » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:25 pm

We met a ewe people there that were in family camping and once the security realised that we were actually just having a quiet bbq wth them they were layed back about us being able to pop in and out to grab stuff to take to the other 2 tents in the early entry bit.
ImageImage

pyrateprincess

Postby pyrateprincess » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:28 pm

is it only me then that is a bit miffed about the positioning of the family camp?

family camping is meant to be furthest away from the arena to keep the noise levels to a minimum yet on that side family camping was the closest to the bohemia which was incredibly loud, whereas as other random camping was next to the car park, organisation of this needs to be alot better next year.

BugJemm

Postby BugJemm » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:14 pm

I bought family camping tickets for me and my friend by mistake (hadn't really woken up properly when I booked them) but we were so glad I did.

We both found the family camping to be quieter in terms of residents' noise and more spacious than the other areas. We were close to a security tower and I felt that our stuff was pretty secure compared with the general camping.

The toilets on the whole were better than those elsewhere on the site in terms of queues. I thought they were cleaned regularly enough and had a plentiful supply of hand sanitiser but that the loo roll and flush water weren't replenished often enough. I also felt that the family campers were more respectful of the toilets, leaving them in a better condition.

The noise from the venue didn't bother me as I wore earplugs when sleeping - mainly to block out Rie's snoring ;) And, in fact, I quite liked the fact that the family camping area was about halfway between where we were parked and the arena, although we did arrive on Friday afternoon and so were only parked five rows into the second car parking field.

Only a few small gripes.
  • The main one was that from Sunday morning, the security had apparently been told that they didn't need to check armbands and that anyone could come in. This was a concern in terms of security, as I'd previously felt our stuff was more secure than in the general camping, and in terms of the toilets, which deteriorated rapidly in condition as it became a free-for-all and the queues built up. For this reason, I was quite glad we left on the Sunday night.
  • It would have been nice to have showers (open at night) separate to the main camping.
  • Bins would have been useful.
  • A recycling bin in the family camping area itself would have been good. The nearest one was miles away and I ended up binning stuff I'd normally recycle cos I didn't want to walk around the site with dirty cans, etc.

We've agreed that we'll definitely be booking family camping next year.

BugJemm

Postby BugJemm » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:18 pm

pyrateprincess wrote:is it only me then that is a bit miffed about the positioning of the family camp?

family camping is meant to be furthest away from the arena to keep the noise levels to a minimum yet on that side family camping was the closest to the bohemia which was incredibly loud, whereas as other random camping was next to the car park, organisation of this needs to be alot better next year.

I was more annoyed by the woman in an adjacent tent who spent the entire time loudly telling off her son, who, incidentally, I never heard a peep from!

BadSignal

Postby BadSignal » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:50 pm

fairyfluff76 wrote:Oh and they run out of family camping wristbands which meant we had to keep showing our tickets every time we wanted to get onto the campsite.

The campsite was nice and peacefull though and everyone was nice.

Yeah that was really annoying cos my dad had my ticket so I kept having to explain the problem to the guy at the entrance to Family Camping

Emmjay

Postby Emmjay » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:33 pm

pyrateprincess wrote:is it only me then that is a bit miffed about the positioning of the family camp?

Family camping should have been further away, as Gem says we could hear all the noise from Bohemia Tent (which incidentally was the stage that went on the longest for the rock karaoke etc). Although it wasn't too much of a problem for me because I can sleep practically anywhere, Gem struggled on the Friday night. Saturday we went to bed much later because of the bands etc (Thunder were amazing!!!!) and the sound was quieter, or we were just so tired we slept (probably the latter).

I think to be more considerate of families with kids the family site should perhaps been further out, and a shower block just for family camping would have been ideal.

Other than that, can't fault it - was cleaner, toilets were better, was quieter in terms of people in the site and everyone was really friendly.
It won't go away til we drink all your beer!

FMC number - 1k918484 (if someone wants to kindly use it I will buy them a pint) :D

Download 04
Download 05
Reading 05
Download 06
Download 07
Reading 07
Rock Am Ring 08
Sonisphere 09

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:50 pm

Emmjay wrote:

I think to be more considerate of families with kids the family site should perhaps been further out, and a shower block just for family camping would have been ideal.

It was actually the furthest away camp site and the quietest. No problems at all, a separate shower block for Family camping is a bad idea, I don't think VIP even get their own shower block, were still paying the same price as normal camping, so shouldn't really be any additions.
FMC Code - 1k949287

HELL63

Postby HELL63 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:00 am

I was impressed, but I think there should have been a bit of organisation as tents were all over the place.
My first festival and reading the boards I made sure we took a smallish tent for the 3 of us and were a bit tightly cramped. Then I see massive tents with hardly anyone in them, gazebos and all sorts. Next time I will bring a bigger tent!

Position wise, it was a bit loud as you could hear Bohemia, but the walk wasn't too bad, I was happy - don't move it further back next year!!!! And it didn't stop me sleeping after a few jars - nor my son (after no jars!)

Security guy was nice and walked around for a chat this morning.

pete.g

Postby pete.g » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:11 am

Family Camping was overall excellent and I would definitely use it again. The people we met there were very friendly and I felt it was quite secure as we kept getting our bands checked on entry. To improve it I have a few suggestions.

Tent Pitching needs to be more controlled. Arrived Friday evening and only found one space where my 4 man tent could pitch. God knows how folk got on finding space that arrived on Sat morning. There were several gazebos, and people who had wasted space by pitching randomly. Also one guy and his son next to me had a tent each, one of them could have done 3 people easily.

Toilets. They are never going to be great but toilet roll replenishing could have been more regular. Luckily we brought our own.

Waste disposal. Some bins would have been nice, just seemed to be a general dumping area. The family camping should have had a recycling area, lets face it if one was going to be properly used it would have been in the family area !!

Water area. Better drainage or some metal grid thing to stand on is required. It just became a soggy mess by Sunday.
Cheers Pete

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:57 am

Just to add to those that did bring children in case you didnt know - comfy crappers do not charge those under the age of 16, I paid to use their toilets and they are cleaned regulary and were much better than the portaloos.

crowmaiden

Postby crowmaiden » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:18 am

In terms of organisation - this has to be one of the best rock festivals going!!

We had unfortunately not been able to purchase family camping at the outletr we purchased our tickets from - but had come in a small group who all had family tickets - we explained at wrist band exchange point on Friday (we arrived quite early-ish) and very incredibly impressed to be able to swop the tickets and get family camping wristbands (thank you so much to the people on security / wristband exchanged who helped us out - you are real stars!!)

All security on the campsites were very friendly and family camping was relatively well organised!

The only real complaint of the whole weekend was the idiots who camped behind us;
* one tent was so close to the back of ours that it was touching and we were unable to open up the back at any point
* The idiots were still playing music, singing and talking at 3.30am Friday night / Saturday morning
* one female member of the group pee'd outside our tent that same night (and we were so close to the toilets she could have been there and back in 5 mins!!!)
* The kids were chucking cans at our tent Saturday morning and when my boyfriend got up and chucked them back the 'fasther' said ooh I don't think he liked that!!
A polite suggestion for next year - go camp in the normal campsite (or better still don't bother going to Sonisphere at all - stay at home and learn how to behave in public!!)

Ooo I feel so much better getting that off my chest - but for the rest of the weekend we had a great time and can't wait for next year! :music-deathmetal:

nickijovi

Postby nickijovi » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:51 pm

i have to say family area was ok till sum one put there tent so close to me i had to move, there was a group of guy 3 guys that took up alot of space.

would be nice to have own shower block there as vip did, but i heard it wasn't that great.

i think the family area ahould have been where the extented early entry was as that was futher away.

that bloody music from monster stadge buged me, and the other music good knows where that was comin from.

but over all i think i was good.

not as cramped as early or normal camping which was good as i dont like beenin cramped
please quote fmc 1K931715 http://www.seetickets.com/sonisphere/founders pugwash, gunner 1 of 83
Image lovely

a-muse-d

Postby a-muse-d » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:33 pm

I have no complaints i never experienced anything too bad, another tap would be good though as the queues got quite long sometimes. And i didnt mind the music coming from Bohemia or wherever it was as it made me even more excited. And you could have a night time singalong to the kareoke from your tent.

crowmaiden wrote:* The kids were chucking cans at our tent Saturday morning and when my boyfriend got up and chucked them back the 'fasther' said ooh I don't think he liked that!!

Some kids kicked a pepsi can at me once and it went all over me, and they said nothing their parents said nothing, they just continued kicking it. Idiots :x
I Like Music :DImage

Jevoss

Postby Jevoss » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:33 am

Mostly I was very impressed with the family camping layout but a gripe from my point of view is that about 3am on the saturday morning we were woken by the sound or people pitching their tents right by us and on having a chat with them on saturday morning it turned out they had normal camping tickets, not family camping tickets. They said security never stopped them initially coming into the camp but that they'd had some bother coming and going after setting up. All they had to do was say "my tents in there" and they got let back in all through the weekend. Think a bit more control over entry to family camping - especially at the randoms times some people were arriving was needed.

Other than that - I liked the fact that I never queued once for the toilets all weekend and they stayed relatively clean aswell so it's family camping all the way for me from now on.

pyrateprincess

Postby pyrateprincess » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:52 am

the other music was from the bohemia tent which we were closest too hence the huge amount of noise til 2am!

Suggestions for Family Camping for next year-Team Sonisphere please take note

* Move family camping to the early entry area as this is the farthest point away from the arena and usually where family camping is situated at other festivals
* More showers! was there seriously the posh wash showers and that was it?for an entire crowd at the festival? queues became upto an hour and a half long!in particular there should be a shower block per camp-especially one in family camping, to keep infection and dirt levels down-thought this would be considered considering everyones nuts about swine flu at the moment
* Better lighting-inparticular at the toilets-there were incredibly dark-luckily i had a torch with me- but i helped a little girl up after she fell when she came out of the portaloo cos she couldnt see! and she was very polite-well done her!
* Toilets- there was a good number in total in the FC area but I only saw them cleaned once a day and half the time there wasnt any toilet roll!
* Water taps- not enough for one camp-even though FC was fairly small, hate to think how the larger camp sites coped- and metal grilling or even straw needs to be laid down every so often because it was like a swamp!

Suggestions for people who camp in FC

* if your going to camp in FC then be respectful of who else is camped in there- re: the twats that were shouting and playing loud music til 3am- if you want to do that then go camp in normal camping as people go to FC for a reason and in particular for littles one to get some decent sleep cos they need it- a couple of times i myself was woken up and the small kids in the adjacent tents by whoever decided that shouting at the top of their voice and playing loud music at 3am was a good idea

*to the parents- make sure your kids are respectful too- re: someone was kicking a pepsi can around and covered someone and the parents didnt care-how disrespectful! teach your kids manners! I have to point out this was the minority as most of the families we met were lovely and the kids were so well behaved(hope when i have kids they are like that!)

rant/

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:25 am

Totally agree with the above comments, it was just me and my husband and being in our 30's, it being my first festival and the fact that I suffer from anxiety we decided that family camping would be the best option - so thats what we booked.

I agree that family camping could of done with some showers - it was a long walk up the hill then into the main campsite and down again to use the others, toilets were fine for me, lighting was an issue as was noise and lack of security checking bands.

I was also annoyed that those that hadnt booked family tickets were being allowed in to camp in family - thus making it more difficult for those who did have tickets to find a space, family camping was too small for demand and it should of been made clear that if you did have family tickets you couldnt camp there.
Lots of people with family tickets got turned away Saturday morning.

Also the exit/entrance to the camp next door was so close to the family camping one that it made it difficult getting in and out at busier times and I found this was when wristbands were not being checked.

Oh and the amount of people smoking what didnt smell like normal cigs really annoyed me - especially around kids.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 pm

You don't go to a festival to have a shower, if you want all these luxuries why not camp in VIP or get a room in a hotel.

The toilets were cleaned enough

There were plenty of water points

The family camping site was perfect where it was, if it's right at the entrance it would suck, it would be a lot further to walk for a start, plus noisy when people arrive.
FMC Code - 1k949287

Danger Man

Postby Danger Man » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:27 am

I thought the position of family camping was fine; roughly half way between the arena and where I'd parked my car. Only two gripes, really.

1- They'd run out of wristbands so I had to keep showing my ticket to get in.

2 – When I arrived on Saturday morning, there was very little room left. I managed to find a reasonable sized pitch but I can understand some people having to squeeze into the tiniest of spaces. After all – we had all booked family camping in advance!

As for showers – hello! you're a at a festival!

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”