Security

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
Baines

Re: Security

Postby Baines » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:23 am

I'd like to add that the only problem I had was with the "campsite fire brigade" (dont know if that goes into this thread) but still

Now yes, fair enough you werent meant to start huge fires but they must've been told some ludacris rules on when a BBQ became a roaring inferno.

Imagine the scene, Sunday night and its frakking freezing at about 2am. Someone lights a BBQ to heat up some water for a pot noodle, the pot noodles are cooked and the BBQ is still warm with a few embers here and there. We took the metal grill bit off the BBQ (it was a disposable) and put some cardboard in. That caught fire and burnt down, we rinsed and repeated this to keep ourselves warm. At one point the fire got to about shin height so we thought ,this is good, we'll keep it going. There were at least 3 sober people keeping an eye on the fire at all times so it didnt get out of control. After 5-10 minutes, the "fire brigade" came in with their stupid pressure hose things and began to put the fire out.

BUT, they ended up firing hot ash ALL over our camp, over about 12 tents and various amounts of paper / card and one of them even kicked a lighter towards some of the embers - safety hazard no?

Anyway, what Im saying is, for next year can both attendees and sonisphere staff be given the same guidelines on things like this.

Apart from that, the security were top notch, I soke to a few of them and they said this was probably the best behaved crowd they had ever dealt with at a festival
:animals-cow: Moocrab Horn Control Expert and Resident Geordie :animals-cow:
http://www.sonisphereforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8814 For ALL your hardcore wishes

Skiba

Postby Skiba » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:21 pm

SH4RKEE wrote:
Skiba wrote:I remembered another plus about the police. Some girl was having an asthma attack and her friend called out asking for a paper bag, which luckily I had one from KFC so I ran over and gave it to them and pointed the police in the direction of the girl. The police have a certain amount of medical training right? So it's good they were there walking around for emergencies.

Police may have basic first aid but i'm not sure if it's a definate. St John Ambulance were always around though (even if i did see 3 of them carrying a stretcher at one point)

I didn't notice any St Johns Ambulance people around where I was camping, but I did see them over the weekend. Even if the police first aid training was basic, it's probably enough to control a situation until one of the ambulance people got there :)
Mousetallica, Metallimouse, James Het-fieldmouse, Mouse Hetfield.
Upcoming Gigs: Zebrahead, Chuck Ragan, The Lawrence Arms, Madina Lake, Alk3, RATM, Download, Green Day, Soni, Reading, Electric 6

SH4RKEE

Postby SH4RKEE » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Skiba wrote:
I didn't notice any St Johns Ambulance people around where I was camping, but I did see them over the weekend. Even if the police first aid training was basic, it's probably enough to control a situation until one of the ambulance people got there :)

SJA were mainly around the arena bit overnight i think but yeah Police would hopefully be able to keep it together until the pro's got there :lol: not that i'm biased
GB Emergency Medical Services Ltd.
Registered Company in England & Wales No. 7334637

Find us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/gb_ems
Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/GBEMS10

Baines

Postby Baines » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:52 pm

SJA were excellent.

When I got knocked out during Cancer Bats - DAMN YOU LIAM CORMIER - they did a fine job of patching me up, from what I remember. they quickly told me what had happened, what symptoms to look for incase I had some serious head damage.
http://www.sonisphereforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8814 For ALL your hardcore wishes

kazz

Postby kazz » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:57 am

in my honest opinion. as great as the police are, it would depend on what the condition was.

asthma can deteriorate very very quickly and can become very very serious. as in deadly.

but i saw lots of sja (might have just been the same ones as it was at different times).

didn't really have much doings with security apart fae they were a bit mismatched.

one guy told us we could take our open plastic bottles. another one said no open bottles but you can take sealed ones.

can you guess what the next guy said?? you guessed it... we had to chuck a full, sealed bottle of coke that my mate had just bought for £2!!!

:?
roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

Baines

Postby Baines » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:02 am

kazz wrote:in my honest opinion. as great as the police are, it would depend on what the condition was.

asthma can deteriorate very very quickly and can become very very serious. as in deadly.

but i saw lots of sja (might have just been the same ones as it was at different times).

didn't really have much doings with security apart fae they were a bit mismatched.

one guy told us we could take our open plastic bottles. another one said no open bottles but you can take sealed ones.

can you guess what the next guy said?? you guessed it... we had to chuck a full, sealed bottle of coke that my mate had just bought for £2!!!

I didnt understand that about the sealed bottle thing, the security could clearly see that they were sealed so obviously had nothing in them. And its not like were bringing stuff bought externally in. In the end I resorted to just hiding cans and bottles of stuff.

MattOnBass

Postby MattOnBass » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:59 pm

backstage/artist hospitality security were gooseberry, i went back there with leese and alex looking for TS for some reason and noone seemed to care much...
ImageImage
http://www.myspace.com/noalibitheband
FMC 1k955688 Ambassador SF838L

kazz

Postby kazz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:06 pm

the guy backstage at bohemia was an asshole.

if i was the head security guy, i would have given him a warning.

he was completely pratty!!

:-x

Baines

Postby Baines » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:20 am

kazz wrote:the guy backstage at bohemia was an asshole.

if i was the head security guy, i would have given him a warning.

he was completely pratty!!

they were alright with me on the Sunday after Cancer Bats when I ended up there after getting knocked out. Mustve been the sympathy vote

kazz

Postby kazz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:08 am

maybe it was a different guy.

this guy was definately a twatt!!

Baines

Postby Baines » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:37 pm

Mustve been, the bloke I met was giving me free bottles of coke and trying to convince bands to come see me since apparently I was "a bit special for letting myself get knocked out"

kazz

Postby kazz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:15 pm

definately different bloke.

i was at the back gate remember!

Baines

Postby Baines » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:35 pm

kazz wrote:definately different bloke.

i was at the back gate remember!

Ahhh, I was sitting on the amp cases and stuff

Clarkey

Postby Clarkey » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:32 pm

The security were amazing people to talk to, honestly you couldn't ask for better people, had a good laugh with some of them, so that you definitely need to keep, all i'd say is perhaps the checking of wristbands wasn't good enough, though i think most security guards in VIP remembered the people after a while so didn't need to ask to see the bands.
They followed the rules by the book aswell, we wanted to get through to sonisfootball which was in main camping but we couldn't go through the arena as it wasn't ready yet, in the end we got onto the bus, the look on the guards faces was priceless. :lol:
Powder Monkey of Camp Pirate
If 1 person uses my FMC code - 1k910067 - i'd be a very happy bunny.

Baines

Postby Baines » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:07 am

The security by my tent (early entry camping) knew me after the 1st night, I did so much wandering that night. And by sunday night most of them hated me and Dean since we wandered round talking about his massive penis and all the parties we were going to have (that didnt happen)

Also, word of advice, DONT ask the people on sandwich stalls if you can touch their baguettes while you're drunk

Clarkey

Postby Clarkey » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:21 pm

Baines wrote:The security by my tent (early entry camping) knew me after the 1st night, I did so much wandering that night. And by sunday night most of them hated me and Dean since we wandered round talking about his massive penis and all the parties we were going to have (that didnt happen)

Also, word of advice, DONT ask the people on sandwich stalls if you can touch their baguettes while you're drunk

Can't be wose than me on Saturday night when I was drunk at a donut store;

Me: "Can I have some donuts"
SA: "Sure, what type would you like"
Me: "The one's with the holes in them (giggle)"
SA: "How many would you like"
Me: "Only one, that's enough for me"

He looked at me in disgust, why did I laugh after saying hole? God i'm such a tard.
Powder Monkey of Camp Pirate
If 1 person uses my FMC code - 1k910067 - i'd be a very happy bunny.

ImmortallyInsane101

Postby ImmortallyInsane101 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:45 pm

Anyone who thought the security situation this year wasn't great should hear what happened at Reading this year. People started huge fires, burning everything including peoples tents if there was noone in them. Things got really out of hand and riot police were brought in and people started throwing all sorts of stuff at them. People on quad bikes were sent out to sort out fires and fights and one of them got pulled off of his by a mob and beaten up then they tried to burn that aswell. Also loads of people were blowing up gas canisters. So actually we did rather well.
1k997385 Please use my code when buying your tickets.
Zac wrote:I love our audience because you can go off on such a tangent as to be discussing the relative flow merits of rappers whilst waiting for us to make our announcement.

kazz

Postby kazz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:45 am

just to clear things up:

i wasn't referring to all security, some of the guys i met were really nice.

just the one guy was a bit of a pratt...

i found most of the security to be helpful. although the rules would be better understood if they all read from the same hymn sheet if you know what i mean.

:)

SH4RKEE

Postby SH4RKEE » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:22 pm

Baines wrote:
I didnt understand that about the sealed bottle thing, the security could clearly see that they were sealed so obviously had nothing in them. And its not like were bringing stuff bought externally in. In the end I resorted to just hiding cans and bottles of stuff.

the reason they don't allow bottles with lids on (sealed or otherwise) is to do with the fact that an empty bottle with no lid on used as a missile is annoying, a bottle used as a missile that has it's lid on is far worse due to the contents of the bottle on impact, even if it is "empty" it still has air trapped inside at pressure that can't escape.
They aren't checking to see if they have been spiked, (although having said THAT - we took plastic bottles of water into and out of the arena everyday and even though they checked my bag we never had to ditch them) funny old world :lol:

Baines

Postby Baines » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:27 pm

SH4RKEE wrote:
Baines wrote:

the reason they don't allow bottles with lids on (sealed or otherwise) is to do with the fact that an empty bottle with no lid on used as a missile is annoying, a bottle used as a missile that has it's lid on is far worse due to the contents of the bottle on impact, even if it is "empty" it still has air trapped inside at pressure that can't escape.
They aren't checking to see if they have been spiked, (although having said THAT - we took plastic bottles of water into and out of the arena everyday and even though they checked my bag we never had to ditch them) funny old world :lol:

I see where you're coming from, never really thought of that. But then again you could buy bottles inside so really, nothing got solved by not letting us take stuff in

Blackz

Postby Blackz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:24 pm

alexcore wrote:vip not being allowed into normal camping was a joke!

and!!!

RIGHT GET THIS!

about 50 of us, coupled with two gaze-fucking-bos and a guitar were peacefully walking around the campsite singing "WE HAVE TWO GAZEBOS, NA NA NA NA", the police came up, checked the gazebos were ours, then left us alone...security then tear gassed us...WHY!?!??!?!?! completely over the top reaction! I mean, I know there was nothing else for them to do what with there being no fires/burnt tents etc, but c'mon, our ranks were swelling all the time, it was obvious no one cared!

When i saw that i never laughted so hard in my life lol. And i saw the whole thing. Was funny as gooseberry tho. It was a Over reaction tho.
Blackz - Sonisphere FCM

Sonisphere - 09
Reading Festival - 08, 09

metal5115

Postby metal5115 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:44 am

As anti drug as these posts are, (and i agree completely with everything except for the stuff about weed - personally i think if you are sensible with it then you will be fine - and only if you have a predisposition to mental illness does it increase your chances - im completely against anything unnatural) are the dogs there on the Thursday as well? just wondering....

Top Bananas

Postby Top Bananas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 pm

metal5115 wrote:As anti drug as these posts are, (and i agree completely with everything except for the stuff about weed - personally i think if you are sensible with it then you will be fine - and only if you have a predisposition to mental illness does it increase your chances - im completely against anything unnatural) are the dogs there on the Thursday as well? just wondering....

I'm just wondering if we're gonna be held up at the train station or the arena on the thursday for 'drug searches' by dogs or anything? I don't have anything against it I can just see it becoming laborious? Wht was the procedure last year, if the dogs go 'off' you get a full bag and body search, including all your tents and everything? I've had them go off at me before when i've had absolutely nothing on me or any contact with drugs.

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:06 am

Yeah they normally take you to one side and check stuff. Dog sniffs each thing quickly so it doesn't take too long. Annoying when it happens though. They can normally tell though, if it goes off and you remain calm but get confused they figure it's a false alarm, if you get all twitchy it's obvious :lol:
FMC CODE: 1k915233 AMBASSADOR CODE: SF36NE use for beer and hookers.

SH4RKEE

Postby SH4RKEE » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:49 pm

alexcore wrote:Yeah they normally take you to one side and check stuff. Dog sniffs each thing quickly so it doesn't take too long. Annoying when it happens though. They can normally tell though, if it goes off and you remain calm but get confused they figure it's a false alarm, if you get all twitchy it's obvious :lol:

signs of a guilty conscience :lol:

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”