Security

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
rockgeek

Security

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 am

:?:

rockgeek

Re: Security

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:34 am

Personally saw no issues...

Alura

Postby Alura » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:04 pm

I was really impressed with the policemen doing rounds of the campsite. I spoke to a couple of them about it, asking what they were up to etc and they said they were looking out for tent thefts and generally making sure everyone is having a good time. I said at Reading there hadn't been anything like that that i had seen and the copper agreed and said the same about download. (Y)

Louise

Postby Louise » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:06 pm

I thought having the police around the site was a really good idea aswell. I personally didnt have any security issues with my own stuff, or hear of anyone else who had issues. Security was good.

Bag checking though getting into the arena, ooo that was slack. Wish I had brought my SLR with me now :lol:

lorraine

Postby lorraine » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:12 pm

I thought on the whole the set up was first class and impressed with the security!! no issues at all!! :music-rockon:

NINtallica

Postby NINtallica » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:16 pm

Think some of the security on the Bohemia tent need a pat on the back for not losing their rag with some of the idiot fans who kepts on hurling abuse at them when they couldnt get in the tent for Corey Talyors set.
Upcoming:
Combichrist (Camden), Avenged Sevenfold (Brixton), Disturbed/Papa Roach/Buckcherry/Halestorm (Wembley)

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:21 pm

vip not being allowed into normal camping was a joke!

and!!!

RIGHT GET THIS!

about 50 of us, coupled with two gaze-fucking-bos and a guitar were peacefully walking around the campsite singing "WE HAVE TWO GAZEBOS, NA NA NA NA", the police came up, checked the gazebos were ours, then left us alone...security then tear gassed us...WHY!?!??!?!?! completely over the top reaction! I mean, I know there was nothing else for them to do what with there being no fires/burnt tents etc, but c'mon, our ranks were swelling all the time, it was obvious no one cared!
FMC CODE: 1k915233 AMBASSADOR CODE: SF36NE use for beer and hookers.

D_C

Postby D_C » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:32 pm

alexcore wrote:vip not being allowed into normal camping was a joke!

Eh? We were doing that all the time...

And lol, we saw the gazeboing last night. Just assumed that was smoke not tear gas.. Bit harsh I agree, but I can understand why they did it.

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:35 pm

other security can't understand why they did it!? it was ridiculously unnecessary!

and mark wasn't allowed into our camp on the sat night. the guy said vip was vip, normal was normal, no mixing allowed...

Damian30

Postby Damian30 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:11 pm

First things first, if the security "tear gassed" you, that is ILLEGAL! Report the incident and the company (ask for info) involved to the police!

Security staff (SIA licensed or not) have no legal rights or powers to use anything like tear gas, pepper spray or mace. The closest thing allowed is a coloured spray which marks troublemakers for easy identification later.

Being in the game myself, security is generally a bugbear to me so I have a couple of points, minor or not.

First is searching: I walked through the main gates past both Diamond and G4S staff with a reasonably large bag over my shoulder and no-one even raised an eyelid, let alone asked to have a look inside it!

Second is response teams: I only saw one response team on Sunday (Man commercial protection) and although they had their red t-shirts on, only two had their Hi-viz bibs on, one had it on his belt and two didn't have a bib at all.

Third is stewards on disabled: Same as response team regarding bibs, stood on disabled in blue t-shirts (G4S) with hi-viz tied to belts.

Fourth is SIA on bars: The security on the bar, stage right of Apollo paid absolutely no attention to the bar whenever I saw him, he was looking at the floor and into the crowd near the stage.

As I said, some of these are only minor points and sorry if people think I'm moaning but the Hi-Viz thing will more than likely be a council licensing and health and safety issue and compulsory for all security and stewarding staff.
These guys are being paid to help make everyone safe and these companies make a lot of money out of our safety.

Now the good points!

The car park staff (SEP) did what they had to do with minimal fuss

The staff on the way out (G4S) were brilliant, very vocal and clear in directions for everyone.

The guys in the Apollo pit did great from what I could see, coped with all they had to do.

The Man staff on the path on the way out were also very helpful with some info I was after.

So plenty of good to go with the bad!

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:16 pm

we thought it was a fire extinguisher at first so when he sprayed it no one really moved except people directly in front, but then it spread out loads and stung the eyes and made the inside of your mouth all tingly...NIIICE word...it deffo wasn't a fire extinguisher basically...

fatperson

Postby fatperson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Security at the festival was the best I've ever seen. Stage-front personnel were sensible, calm and generally seemed to be happy to go with the flow rather than slap anyone down for trying to enjoy themselves. They were also genuinely helpful.

No issues at all, other than the bag-check numpties, but I'll save that for another rant

Damian30

Postby Damian30 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Alexcore - I say again, tear gas is illegal and if it was tear gas you were all basically assaulted!

Jacklarr

Postby Jacklarr » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:24 pm

There was security?

I wasn't checked for a wrist band once, actually attempted to cover it up and still wasn't asked for one whenever entering/leaving bohemia and the campsites. I saw people with just 'weekend tickets' instead of the camping ones walking around in the campsite and teh couple opposite us only had saturday tickets and saturday wrist bands and they got there about 5 minutes after we did on Friday and camped the whole weekend.

Saw loads of people walking straight into Bohemia with about 15 cans of beer and stuff on them as well, some not even trying to disguise it.

Asked a few bobbys on Sunday night if they knew when the first shuttle bus on Monday morning was back to Stevenage station, got 4 different asnwers varying from 4 until 5. We got up about 3:55, and were packed up and ready by about 4:50, got to the shuttle bus pick up point, and were told they didnt start until half 6. had to shell out £15 for a taxi. Cheers guys.

All in all, pretty crap.

NINtallica

Postby NINtallica » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Yeah the taking of beer into the arena wasnt enforced well at all, dont really mind though as it saved me a fortune over the weekend.
Upcoming:
Combichrist (Camden), Avenged Sevenfold (Brixton), Disturbed/Papa Roach/Buckcherry/Halestorm (Wembley)

corney91

Postby corney91 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Alot of the security were very nice and helpful (we were allowed to go through VIP to get to our camping because it was flatter for my mate in a wheelchair once (but not after Metallica =/ )). A few were a little uptight though - we had to convince a security person that Disabled wristbands were allowed in the main camping because it was on the other side and we had to go through... Another person demanded someone with a day ticket to go to the box office to get a wristband as well - What the frakk?!? :?
I noticed going into the arena, if you have your hands in your pockets you get frisked so if there's someone hot at the gate, hands go into the pockets :P

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:40 pm

we always got bands checked. and yeah, they guys in front of the barriers were proper good! normally they frog march you out and don't care if you drop something or they hurt you, but I surfed during avenged, and they just followed me to make sure I left, no shoving, no grabbing, just smiling/laughing and walking with us. hats off to those guys!

a lot of security were ignorant of what was going on though with regards to who was allowed where and timings and so on.

me, matt and leese go into artist hospitality on saturday with barely a word from any security guard, we just went up to them and said we were told to come here to see someone and they nodded us on, without any checks or anything? obviously we were no threat, but someone might have been...

corney91

Postby corney91 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:44 pm

alexcore wrote:a lot of security were ignorant of what was going on though with regards to who was allowed where and timings and so on.
That was pretty annoying :?
alexcore wrote:me, matt and leese go into artist hospitality on saturday with barely a word from any security guard, we just went up to them and said we were told to come here to see someone and they nodded us on, without any checks or anything? obviously we were no threat, but someone might have been...

Haha, I saw you three walking there and wondered if I was missing out on something :lol:

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm

you should have come and said hi to us =]

corney91

Postby corney91 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:53 pm

alexcore wrote:you should have come and said hi to us =]

I was going to but I figured if it was in the artist hospitality place it was a private party :P

Davy

Postby Davy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:54 pm

As if you got tear-gassed :lol: But yeah, pretty sure they can't do that.

+ Good number of security members, who were all very friendly.
+ Always checked for wristbands and did their job really well. When I got searched I thought that it was pretty thorough and efficient.
+ Good sense of order and direction.
+ On the sunday at Steveange Leisure Park, I thought the addition of the police tents were great. The sniffer dogs seemed like they did a great job considering the amount of people being questioned by the police :lol:

- Sometimes the security did seem to not bother however. Over the whole weekend we only got asked to have our bag searched twice, and I even saw them messing around throwing full cans of beer.

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:01 pm

when I was going through main entrance on thurs I sighed as I took my bag off (it was sooo heavy), and while I tried to manoeuvre it onto the table the security guard just told me not to bother and to go in...

and tbh, I don't know 100% what it was they sprayed us with, but it wasn't a fire extinguisher. and when I told another security guard they were shocked they'd done it as it wasn't warranted, but not shocked enough to make me think it was anything they weren't allowed to do.

GodHatesMeMost

Postby GodHatesMeMost » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:20 pm

First camping festival I've been to and the first open air festival since 1992 since my apologies if 'the rules' have changed since then!!

I found security to be no problem at all all weekend. The only 2 things that bugged me - inconsistency on approach (my new friend from the tent next to ours carried a six pack from campsite to main arena on Saturday and was stopped and told he couldn't bring them in. When his girlfriend then tried same in her bag - no problem, straight through!) and who was who? I had little clear idea who was supposed to be security, who was a steward, who was a Sonishelpher (except the 4 I found down the front during Killing Joke!!) and so on. Maybe I was being a bit dopey (I did get sunburn after all!!) - did they have coloured shirts on? or did I miss that? :?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.

corney91

Postby corney91 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:22 pm

GodHatesMeMost wrote:and who was who? I had little clear idea who was supposed to be security, who was a steward, who was a Sonishelpher (except the 4 I found down the front during Killing Joke!!) and so on. Maybe I was being a bit dopey (I did get sunburn after all!!) - did they have coloured shirts on? or did I miss that? :?

I just thought "yellow vest/coat - they must be official." They were all the same to me :lol:

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:23 pm

Barely noticed security all weekend.. which to me means they did a reet good job. Good to see them enforcing no overcrowding in Bohemia- I saw it twice- Coheed and then Thunder.

The guys on the soundesk/lighting rig on the main stage were really good. It was a good place to watch from as- although you couldn't actually see any of the stage, you could see both screen and the sounf from the repeater stack right above you was excellent. They alllowed a couple of kids over the barrier and to stand on the seats on the other side - nice human touch which went down well with child and parents alike.

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”