Normal Camping

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
ktdude

Re: Normal Camping

Postby ktdude » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:04 pm

noobpotato wrote:
triaxis wrote:No complaints really - got a decent spot and the whole experience was much better than other fests I've camped at in recent past. Aside from the odd fire and a couple of fence panels coming down, there was no major disturbance near our camp over the whole weekend. Atmos was so laid back

:)

odd fire? where i was at (around B2 on the left side of the path way) there was fires going off everywhere, quite funny watching all the staff running around with fire extinguishers and stuff, and with helicopters flying over it was kind of cool :P.Also it was my first fest and it was no where near as bad as i feared it would be to extent where i loved it :)

Actually I noticed that there was a division between 'our' side of the camp (B2 bottom of the hill to the right) and the 'other' side (which I think is the where you mean). About 4:00am we went to the loo and 'your' side was still going frakking mental, whereas our side was all quiet and asleep. It was quite odd how the division seemed to spring up from nowhere!

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:13 pm

noobpotato wrote:odd fire? where i was at (around B2 on the left side of the path way) there was fires going off everywhere, quite funny watching all the staff running around with fire extinguishers and stuff, and with helicopters flying over it was kind of cool :P.Also it was my first fest and it was no where near as bad as i feared it would be to extent where i loved it :)

Only saying what I saw - and there was the odd fire on the Monday morning in B2

I was camped with Katy and it was quiet our side of the path, not sure what was happening in other parts of the campsite but it had a real relaxed atmos about it like Bloodstock and Bulldog Bash, definitely not like Reading or Download
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

Dorian Gray

Postby Dorian Gray » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:16 pm

ktdude wrote:
noobpotato wrote:
triaxis wrote:No complaints really - got a decent spot and the whole experience was much better than other fests I've camped at in recent past. Aside from the odd fire and a couple of fence panels coming down, there was no major disturbance near our camp over the whole weekend. Atmos was so laid back

odd fire? where i was at (around B2 on the left side of the path way) there was fires going off everywhere, quite funny watching all the staff running around with fire extinguishers and stuff, and with helicopters flying over it was kind of cool :P.Also it was my first fest and it was no where near as bad as i feared it would be to extent where i loved it :)

Actually I noticed that there was a division between 'our' side of the camp (B2 bottom of the hill to the right) and the 'other' side (which I think is the where you mean). About 4:00am we went to the loo and 'your' side was still going frakking mental, whereas our side was all quiet and asleep. It was quite odd how the division seemed to spring up from nowhere!

It was just wierd seeing that divide, it was like the path through blue was the Berlin Wall or something lol
ImageImage

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:19 pm

yeah my sister's side was WELL quiet, almost eerily so! (the blue side furthest away from bo - other side of hill, not sure what number)
FMC CODE: 1k915233 AMBASSADOR CODE: SF36NE use for beer and hookers.

ktdude

Postby ktdude » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:21 pm

Jimmy. wrote:
ktdude wrote:Actually I noticed that there was a division between 'our' side of the camp (B2 bottom of the hill to the right) and the 'other' side (which I think is the where you mean). About 4:00am we went to the loo and 'your' side was still going frakking mental, whereas our side was all quiet and asleep. It was quite odd how the division seemed to spring up from nowhere!

It was just wierd seeing that divide, it was like the path through blue was the Berlin Wall or something lol

It was!!

Our side brought the chill. Yo. :D

Rockandale

Postby Rockandale » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:04 pm

First festival we've camped at, so it was all new to us.
Bad points:-
Family camping too small - we asked when we arrived at 12 if we could camp there and they said it was full (we couldn't book it originally because we won tickets [so can't really complain!]).
No information given when we arrived, I expected a sheet even maybe a map showing where stuff was and what time things opened. Dunno if there were any programmes but we didn't find one.
One guy next to us went to sleep drunk in his tent in his clothes and had his back pocket slashed off and over £100 nicked, that was scary, and a couple of others nearby had the same thing. We were not too far from the loos in the big field at the bottom of the hill.
The litter on camp was a shock to me (being an ex - litter-picker!). Why don't Sonisphere issue everyone (or group of people) (or every car) with a bin bag for their rubbish? I'm in a re-enactment society of about 2,000 people, we camp in fields all over the country for free, and when we turn up we are always given a bin-bag. Surely the cost of the ticket could cover this, and there would be a lot less cr@p to walk through and pick up at the end of the festival? There were no bins anywhere near we camped, either. We took our own binbag and it was full by Monday.
Not enough loos and not cleaned out enough. Separate male & female would be better. Also, they should be within sight of the towers as sleeping bags and tents were stuffed in them overnight.
Not enough showers, 1 1/4 hrs queue on Sunday (and I was there at 7am).
Music starting up again from somewhere Sunday night at some unearthly hour.

Good points
Mostly people lovely and friendly and helpful around though, sharing stuff & chatting.
Arena not too far to walk and everything easy to find.
Loads of different food stalls on campsite as well as arena (I didn't expect that).
Brilliant fun, and an education for our girls of 12 and 15!
Wanna do it again!

gaffers93

Postby gaffers93 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 pm

I think the early birds should of gotten closer to the stage not the entrance.

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:02 pm

Rockandale wrote:The litter on camp was a shock to me (being an ex - litter-picker!). Why don't Sonisphere issue everyone (or group of people) (or every car) with a bin bag for their rubbish? I'm in a re-enactment society of about 2,000 people, we camp in fields all over the country for free, and when we turn up we are always given a bin-bag. Surely the cost of the ticket could cover this, and there would be a lot less cr@p to walk through and pick up at the end of the festival? There were no bins anywhere near we camped, either. We took our own binbag and it was full by Monday.

This is a good point. I felt more guilty than usual about leaving litter at our camp and was determined to bag it up before leaving. Thankfully someone had left some bin bags lying around so I could at least bag up some of it. Maybe look into having some volunteers next year going around with bin bags to hand out for litter...or to recycle cans
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

Monopoly

Postby Monopoly » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:11 pm

Jimmy. wrote:
ktdude wrote:
noobpotato wrote:odd fire? where i was at (around B2 on the left side of the path way) there was fires going off everywhere, quite funny watching all the staff running around with fire extinguishers and stuff, and with helicopters flying over it was kind of cool :P.Also it was my first fest and it was no where near as bad as i feared it would be to extent where i loved it :)

Haha you guys were around there as well? It was hilarious, having one side being angels and the other side going totally mental :lol:
Image Image

Monopoly wrote:CHOCOLATE STARFISH!

kazz wrote:would you like that with hot dog flavoured water?

sorry. couldn't resist...

:lol:

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:16 pm

gaffers93 wrote:I think the early birds should of gotten closer to the stage not the entrance.

This. we paid extra to get in early, then we had the longest walk to the arena. I'm bitter :lol:
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

Monopoly

Postby Monopoly » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:18 pm

mrpaul wrote:
gaffers93 wrote:I think the early birds should of gotten closer to the stage not the entrance.

This. we paid extra to get in early, then we had the longest walk to the arena. I'm bitter :lol:

See this is why you should so turn up at 3:30pm on the friday to camp :lol:
Image Image

Monopoly wrote:CHOCOLATE STARFISH!

kazz wrote:would you like that with hot dog flavoured water?

sorry. couldn't resist...

:lol:

gaffers93

Postby gaffers93 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Next year early birds should camp in the arena.

Nene

Postby Nene » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Loved the camping.
We were pretty much at the back, but the distance to the arena was nothing compared to larger festivals, I thought it was brilliant!
Only thing is I think there should have been more toilets and water points in the campsite, the queues on a morning were very long and the toilets themselves were pretty nasty compared to the ones in the arena.
Other than that, no problems at all, was pretty suprised!

davetkd666

Postby davetkd666 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:21 pm

triaxis wrote:
Rockandale wrote:The litter on camp was a shock to me (being an ex - litter-picker!). Why don't Sonisphere issue everyone (or group of people) (or every car) with a bin bag for their rubbish? I'm in a re-enactment society of about 2,000 people, we camp in fields all over the country for free, and when we turn up we are always given a bin-bag. Surely the cost of the ticket could cover this, and there would be a lot less cr@p to walk through and pick up at the end of the festival? There were no bins anywhere near we camped, either. We took our own binbag and it was full by Monday.

This is a good point. I felt more guilty than usual about leaving litter at our camp and was determined to bag it up before leaving. Thankfully someone had left some bin bags lying around so I could at least bag up some of it. Maybe look into having some volunteers next year going around with bin bags to hand out for litter...or to recycle cans

It's a nice idea but don't think it would take off, the amount of tents I walked passed that were full of rubbish (with people asleep in them) was unbelievable, so I can't see many people taking this up.

We always include bin-bags as a vital part of the kit.
Keeps our pitch clean
Handy fo putting dirty clothes in
Doubles up as a DIY Poncho

whoute

Postby whoute » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Ok, where does it say that early entry-ers should get the best spot? It doesn't say it anywhere. I do agree that's the way it generally happens, when me and my mate got there on the Friday at 6:30pm we thought we'd have a gooseberry spot, but were pleasantly surprised when we got to Blue 1 by the arena.

But it doesnt say anywhere on the tickets that early entry people get the closest camp sites. That's just become people's assumptions. You are paying the extra £10 to get into the site early and use the facilities before anyone else, not get closest to the arena. Besides, one person's view of the "best camping spot" isn't another persons view, and as you were walking to the arena you could see that the blue camping wasnt full, so you could have easily moved your tent. I know this isnt really fair to you, but if you were that bothered about being close to the arena you would have done it.

Other than that rant I thought camping was very good, although I dont think there was a water point close to where we were (in Blue one near the toilets). But it seemed an awful lot quieter where we were. ( I got to sleep easily on the Sunday night, where at Download I was awake all night worrying something was going to happen)

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:58 pm

whoute wrote:Ok, where does it say that early entry-ers should get the best spot? It doesn't say it anywhere. I do agree that's the way it generally happens, when me and my mate got there on the Friday at 6:30pm we thought we'd have a gooseberry spot, but were pleasantly surprised when we got to Blue 1 by the arena.

But it doesnt say anywhere on the tickets that early entry people get the closest camp sites. That's just become people's assumptions. You are paying the extra £10 to get into the site early and use the facilities before anyone else, not get closest to the arena. Besides, one person's view of the "best camping spot" isn't another persons view, and as you were walking to the arena you could see that the blue camping wasnt full, so you could have easily moved your tent. I know this isnt really fair to you, but if you were that bothered about being close to the arena you would have done it.

Other than that rant I thought camping was very good, although I dont think there was a water point close to where we were (in Blue one near the toilets). But it seemed an awful lot quieter where we were. ( I got to sleep easily on the Sunday night, where at Download I was awake all night worrying something was going to happen)

Yeah i'm not that fussed tbh, the camping experience was awesome with the loners. And at least we weren't on a big fuck-off hill :lol: the walk wasnt too bad, except for when i had to make 3 trips to the lockers and back in an hour, 10-15 minutes a time gets a bit tedious.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

Mickeh

Postby Mickeh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 pm

I had no issue with the early entry campsite. We were camped in the site to the left after the entrance that was connected to family camping. Near the cooking/"cocking" point and toilets. It's flat land that's high up, and that's what you want when camping. I actually enjoyed the 20 minute walk to the arena. Enjoying a can, meeting some drunken people.

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:23 pm

at reading for every full bin bag you hand in at a dump point you get a can of beer. this would encourage cleanliness, as long as it was good beer, cos most people don't bother for carling/strongbow...

Keirico

Postby Keirico » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:35 pm

I kinda liked being further away, sort of felt safer, and like Mickeh said, the walk to the arena was actually quite nice.
alexcore wrote:at reading for every full bin bag you hand in at a dump point you get a can of beer. this would encourage cleanliness, as long as it was good beer, cos most people don't bother for carling/strongbow...
No-one wants to drink that horse piss :P I'd deffo be up for that if it was for some decent beer.
last.fm Just wacking my brothers and my own FMC codes in here so we don't forget them for next year 1k919074, 1k919075

alexcore

Postby alexcore » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:37 pm

Keirico wrote:
I kinda liked being further away, sort of felt safer, and like Mickeh said, the walk to the arena was actually quite nice.
alexcore wrote:at reading for every full bin bag you hand in at a dump point you get a can of beer. this would encourage cleanliness, as long as it was good beer, cos most people don't bother for carling/strongbow...
No-one wants to drink that horse piss :P I'd deffo be up for that if it was for some decent beer.

THIS.

kazz

Postby kazz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:47 pm

only thing bowt our early camping section was the lack of toilets. we had to share with the other early entry camp... that ain't a moan... it just enocuraged random "loos" to crop up beside the tree...

but i kinda liked being further away. better than being on that hill!!

roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

becci27

Postby becci27 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:49 pm

EH? NORMAL CAMPING! AS OPPOSED TO ABNORMAL? :roll:

Grrrrrrr! :angry-nono:
My FMC is lonely. Please use it when buying your ticket- 1k959556

fetgirl

Postby fetgirl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:51 pm

We had early entry and we were in the 1st early entry campsite which i beleive was indigo 2. It was cramped thursday I guess because Soni underesitmated the number of people arriving early. But Friday quite few people moved so that thinned the herd a little. We did consider moving but decided to stay in our orginal spot after seeing the main campsite was on a hill. I'd much rather camp on the flat and have to walk up the hill to the arena than try and sleep on the slope.

Overall the early entry site we were in was fine, we were really pleased with the location the walk to/from the arena wasn't too bad although sunday was kinda painful I was so knackered!

I never saw anyone queuing for the water point in our camp site, and we were almost directly opposite the taps. Toilets were a 2 min walk away, never had a problem, always clean enough, ok not always any loo roll in there, but i always made sure I had my own so not a problem. Yes there were queues first thing in a morning but what do you expect when you have that many people all waking up at roughly the same time of day??? wait was never more than 15mins or so for me. Thought the mens urinals were genuis idea.

Gazebos werent seen in our campsite til friday and the couple of folks near us who had them had actually brought them from one of the vendors at the festival!

There were several fires going on sunday but the stewards/security where on top of it. My bf and one of the guys we were camping with went and had a word with some of them as there was a group near us with a fire that looked out of control and within a few mins stewards came by and put it out. They even came back to one group near us 3 times to put their fire out as they kept relighting it.

to those who seem to be just whinging endlessly about the festival and how it was run, if you didnt like it dont come back next year. We had a fantastic time and this was my first festival, and it seems that some people are whinging for the sake of it because it wasn't absolutly perfect. This was the first year for Soni and first 2 day festival they had put on. We think they did a superb job and roll on next year. :text-givemebeer:

ktdude

Postby ktdude » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:58 am

triaxis wrote:

Belated apologies for not helping with that :oops: I'm normally really good at keeping campsites tidy but I was just being a drunken buffoon for the majority of the weekend, plus I used the binbags I had for wet clothes. Sorry guys.

davetkd666

Postby davetkd666 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:02 pm

fetgirl wrote:We had early entry and we were in the 1st early entry campsite which i beleive was indigo 2. It was cramped thursday I guess because Soni underesitmated the number of people arriving early. But Friday quite few people moved so that thinned the herd a little. We did consider moving but decided to stay in our orginal spot after seeing the main campsite was on a hill. I'd much rather camp on the flat and have to walk up the hill to the arena than try and sleep on the slope.

Overall the early entry site we were in was fine, we were really pleased with the location the walk to/from the arena wasn't too bad although sunday was kinda painful I was so knackered!

I never saw anyone queuing for the water point in our camp site, and we were almost directly opposite the taps. Toilets were a 2 min walk away, never had a problem, always clean enough, ok not always any loo roll in there, but i always made sure I had my own so not a problem. Yes there were queues first thing in a morning but what do you expect when you have that many people all waking up at roughly the same time of day??? wait was never more than 15mins or so for me. Thought the mens urinals were genuis idea.

Gazebos werent seen in our campsite til friday and the couple of folks near us who had them had actually brought them from one of the vendors at the festival!

There were several fires going on sunday but the stewards/security where on top of it. My bf and one of the guys we were camping with went and had a word with some of them as there was a group near us with a fire that looked out of control and within a few mins stewards came by and put it out. They even came back to one group near us 3 times to put their fire out as they kept relighting it.

to those who seem to be just whinging endlessly about the festival and how it was run, if you didnt like it dont come back next year. We had a fantastic time and this was my first festival, and it seems that some people are whinging for the sake of it because it wasn't absolutly perfect. This was the first year for Soni and first 2 day festival they had put on. We think they did a superb job and roll on next year. :text-givemebeer:

To be fair, if it's your first fest, you have to realise that others have done this before and can acually draw comparisons. Vital if Sonisphere wants to remain in the market and be competative
That said, much of the feedback has ben constructive.
Although as for the early entry, I believe that the promoters chose quality of pitch to the proximity of the venue (which meant camping on that bloody hill - even then - if you used the day ticket entry road it wasn't that bad a walk. Also meant you weren't lugging tonnes of gooseberry for ages when arriving or leaving.
It also felt more secure - being further away and fenced off with stewards at each access point

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”