Normal Camping

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
AllFallD0wn

Re: Normal Camping

Postby AllFallD0wn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:09 pm

Early Entry being further away from the arena was better.

It meant there were less or even no people stealing things from tents there. I personally saw no problems at all with stuff like that. Amazing.

my camp was great (cross between CFM and CL)
FMC CODE : 1k919055 - BEERS IF YOU USE IT :D

alexcore wrote:LOVE YOU REALLY MY LONG HAIRED MUNCHKIN :D

Lyekka

Postby Lyekka » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:20 pm

This.

King_Walnut wrote:I paid 10 quid for early entry ... when I got there I had to wait 3 HOURS for the campsite manager to come and 'open' the other campsite because security were lame and didn't bother enforcing the 'no gazebos' rule so there was no space left.

Then when the douchebag manager had opened it (which he didn't even do .. he just told the security to let us through, which was frakking bollocks, we shouldn't have had to wait 3 hours for that) we realised we were camping 100000 miles away from the arena.

Bad one there to be honest ... those who pay extra to come early should get to be close to the arena. I could have got there saturday at 12pm and been able to get right next to the arena entrance, but instead I paid 10 quid to camp really far away.

I would have liked a choice on where I camped, with at least the option to camp closer to the arena if I wanted, that walk uphill to the arenas was a bitch by Sunday...
2009: Download, Sonisphere UK, Bloodstock and Reading festivals - +many more!
2010: Download, Sonisphere Poland, Sonisphere UK and Bloodstock festivals - +many many more!
Black Founder Member's Club Member number: 1k943442 - Pimp my FMC!

Missy

Postby Missy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:23 pm

Campsite was great, really laid back, nice atmos around, friendly police presence and a far few around in the day when the bands werent playing which was good to see, not too far to walk to the things you needed and the only ques were at peak times for the loos, which is to be expected :)
When your drunk shake your ass like you know how to dance...
<3Keep your hands to yourself, these lips belong to someone else...<3

Eycreta Tauri Astutos Frustrantul

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:59 pm

WHY THE FRACK was early bid chucked right at the entrance, would make sence to start at the front and work back?
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

Sprite.

Postby Sprite. » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:07 pm

I got early bird and had to wait an age to be able to camp. There clearly was no preperation for the ammount of people comming with early entry tickets. We got stuck in what was pretty much the car park as an overflow site. A guy came past us with a white line marker after we had camped. Our campsite had no toilets, no bins and until friday morning no water. However it was better as there were less people walking through etc and it was flat ground - even though we had to climb up a hill to get to the arena.
For 2010 I would reccomend being prepared for early entry and actually providing more bins in general.
ImageImage

EvilFairy

Postby EvilFairy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Really impressed generally. Nice pitch with much more room than other festivals I've been to. Great to see Police patrolling the campsite but didn't spot CAT type helpers that are at Reading to ask questions etc.. We had a bloke open our tent in the middle of the night on Friday, saw we were there and then said 'sorry, wrong tent' and retreated whilst reaching out with his hand to grab something. Luckily only our very large, empty rucksack there! We were in a tepee, so doubt very much that he was genuine. Making friends with neighbours worked well to help you all look after stuff.

xx__J3SSi

Postby xx__J3SSi » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:07 pm

King_Walnut wrote:I paid 10 quid for early entry ... when I got there I had to wait 3 HOURS for the campsite manager to come and 'open' the other campsite because security were lame and didn't bother enforcing the 'no gazebos' rule so there was no space left.

Then when the douchebag manager had opened it (which he didn't even do .. he just told the security to let us through, which was frakking bollocks, we shouldn't have had to wait 3 hours for that) we realised we were camping 100000 miles away from the arena.

Bad one there to be honest ... those who pay extra to come early should get to be close to the arena. I could have got there saturday at 12pm and been able to get right next to the arena entrance, but instead I paid 10 quid to camp really far away.

I totally agree. I paid the extra tenner thinking i'd get a really good space and not have to panic arrive on friday wondering if I'd be next to bogs or not enough space. I thought getting an early bird would take away all of that. The fact that when we got there there was only one field open like you said, and it was pretty full up, was not cool, and when I realised where the arena was and that the other campsites would be opening the next day I was not happy. I was seriously considering moving my tent in the morning, but we'd somehow managed to squeeze ourselves in after much stress and I could not face having to put the tent up again.

Next time please put us closer? The ones who arrive early TEND (and I am seriously generalising here) to be the ones who are up for a good time and a party, and therefore want to be close to the action, not shoved as far away as possible.

Apart from that I had a really wicked time. Nothing wrong with the campsites whatsoever. Not as rowdy as Download I thought, which in my mind isn't a good thing (I love wandering around the campsites at night with a few bevvies and chatting to randoms, chanting etc), but still it was the first one and people didn't know what to expect.

S_Exile

Postby S_Exile » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Just a thought for all those a bit annoyed at early bird = furthest away...

At least you had the shorter walk to the car park! I was in the Blue Hillside, and that walk was a killer with all your stuff on the way in and way out... so it works both ways!

Ok so I'm joking on that...

Only real complaint was at the amount of showers availiable. Although I didnt use them, the queues looked pretty bad, and had we had the heavy rain and associated mud it would have been near impossible.

davetkd666

Postby davetkd666 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:42 pm

S_Exile wrote:Just a thought for all those a bit annoyed at early bird = furthest away...

At least you had the shorter walk to the car park! I was in the Blue Hillside, and that walk was a killer with all your stuff on the way in and way out... so it works both ways!

Ok so I'm joking on that...

Only real complaint was at the amount of showers availiable. Although I didnt use them, the queues looked pretty bad, and had we had the heavy rain and associated mud it would have been near impossible.

I think the screwed it up a little as .. based on the Police map.. what was family camping was supposed to be the start of Early bird or vice versa.
Which would have made it slightly closer, especially if you used the day day ticket entrence.
I think they may have sacrificed proximity for the quality of the camping area

dave_nicholls

Postby dave_nicholls » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:12 pm

I'm going to have to join in on the early bird camping rant. When we got there security didn't have a clue what was going on and diverted us into a field which was clearly full. We followed everyone else when they shifted but weren't told where to go by anyone. Eventually we end up in a field as far away from the arena as you could get with no toilets in it.

The noise was what is to be expected from a festival I guess but I am so happy to be home now not having to hear muppets screaming "butt scratcher" and "what's your problem" at f**k knows what time of the morning.

metallica_girl

Postby metallica_girl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:17 pm

dave_nicholls wrote:
The noise was what is to be expected from a festival I guess but I am so happy to be home now not having to hear muppets screaming "butt scratcher"

YES!

What the hell was all that about?
Knebworth 2011 - Big 4. You know it makes sense.

davetkd666

Postby davetkd666 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:23 pm

It happens all the time, you block i t out after a while.
But with me they always wake me up at 4/5ish - can never get back to sleep after that

spadefx

Postby spadefx » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Camp site was okay.

I liked the fact that it was half empty - and you had a fair amount of space to enjoy in your groups.

The security in the campsites left a lot to be desired though, concerningly high numbers of thefts from the Blue campsites, and I must've walked passed a dozen or so campfires over the course of the weekend. Strangely too, not one person from our group (of 20) were searched on entrance.

Telfman

Postby Telfman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:43 pm

The FMC queues on the Thursday took the piss! We were in the normal line for like 1hr before me and my friend went down and say a tiny box office with a small queue. By the time we got all of out group down there the queue was significantly larger and had to turn to avoid the normal early campers and it was impossible to find the beginning of the queue!

Anyway ! Camping !

At first we set up on the most furthest away point, near the car park. We stayed there one night and it was terrible! We were on the corner of the path (Which they painted AFTER we pitched our tent!). There were people up until 6AM falling on our tent pissed, not there fault it is a festival after all. We were also pitched next to a really annoying welsh group! Not dissing the welsh but these people were the most annoying people ever and nearly ruined the whole festival for us.

On the friday morning we moved our tent into the downhill part. From there it was perfect! Right distance from toilets, water, arena and food. Neighbors were awesome and had some cool Conversations and shared drinks!I found that once the bands had started people became a bit more sociable and generally happier. Security seemed ok. The police were very sociable and approachable and definitely were a good addition. Did anyone get anything stolen?

BUT SCRATCHER!

Also did anyone else see the "pope" guy?
BUT SCRATCHER!

BUT SCRATCHER!

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 pm

You paid to camp early, not to camp next to the arena. You could have moved if it was that much of a problem
FMC Code - 1k949287

mrjonny2

Postby mrjonny2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:16 am

We had originally planned up by some of my mates arriving on thursday to set up and then everyone else coming on friday
to our dismay because we came early we were punished by being a 40+ minute walk from the arena. We were further away then the main entrance. That was ridiculous there were no toilets there which for the girls was a major problem and any way we could have take shortcuts through other camping areas was fenced off making the walk as long as humanly possible

NaNa

Postby NaNa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:10 am

metalicbear wrote:
You paid to camp early, not to camp next to the arena. You could have moved if it was that much of a problem

Actually, if you're paying an extra tenner and making the effort to get there effing early, it is just not right that you're shoved into a campsite far away from toilets, drinking water, food and the arena, whilst those who pay less and arrive much later get close to all that. I am curious Sonisphere, why didn't you just move us into the field opposite the first early entrance camp instead of putting us straight into overflow?

Also, at our campsite we only had rubbish collection on the Thursday and Friday nights, meaning for the last two days almost everyone had a large pile of rubbish growing around their tents, not pleasant. We didn't even have bins so we could take it ourselves, and even on the first two nights there was rubbish collection, they were far from thorough and spent a lot of time talking to each other/messing about with people they apparently knew. All this might have been bearable if we didn't have a truck pull up with some steward guy pointing his fingers and asking us why we'd made so much mess, the cheek!

And 'could have moved'? yes, because that's really convenient and fair on us isn't it.

So yes, for me, the camping wasn't so good and those who paid extra got treated very unfairly. However, the music was pretty damn good and I'm glad I went.

x

dookie1

Postby dookie1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:57 am

Not enough showers,the que from the site shop between the 2 camp sites was a good hour to wait and we should not have had to pay for it coinsidering the cost of the ticket(Download and Reading have free communial 24 hour showers). Camping was great otherwise,spacey yet compact,well impressed :)

ktdude

Postby ktdude » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:11 am

Camping was very relaxing. Felt very safe and had enough space. Could have done with a few more toilets but in general, I was very impressed.

Chubs

Postby Chubs » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:26 am

Hi Everyone !

Hope you all enjoyed the festival, I went with my husband and eldest brother and we had a fantastic time, been reading the feedback from "Louise" I agree!

We had simular problem, we pitched up on the 3rd field opened and we was there from Thursday night, we got in with everyone around us having good laugh, it was all cosy and roomy but on Friday night some stupid girl we had been chatting to next to our tent helped move a load of her university mates and pitched 2 tents in between our tents at 2.30am right by the entrance of our tent we had a foot to get out! everyone was tripping over the tents and falling in the tents - We was having great time up until then so though S@@ this and Saturday got up early and went a bought 2 pop up tents and went and moved down to the entrance by the arena we were not going to let some stupid uni lot ruin our festival...!

The 5 days were very well organised and thought facilities were fantastic, unfortunately where ever you go you will always get some numpties, perhaps next year we can have a flag sign people can put up for pain in the arse campers and then buddle them....hahahahaha (in a nice way)..!

Cant wait till next year!

Chubs

Postby Chubs » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:33 am

Just been reading some more feed back!!!!

LOL......

Totally agree the early campers where miles away from arena!

Dont want to complain because festival was fantastic wish we was still there but yeah they did fence area off and struggled with loos and water.

We did move so cant complain! we was lucky and just bought 2 pop up tents and moved to outside the arena on the Saturday.

It seemed the late comers, were near all the facilities but you must admit the atmosphere in the early camp was the best! we found the late comers more quiet and didnt chant as much hahahaha

noobpotato

Postby noobpotato » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:25 pm

triaxis wrote:No complaints really - got a decent spot and the whole experience was much better than other fests I've camped at in recent past. Aside from the odd fire and a couple of fence panels coming down, there was no major disturbance near our camp over the whole weekend. Atmos was so laid back

:)

odd fire? where i was at (around B2 on the left side of the path way) there was fires going off everywhere, quite funny watching all the staff running around with fire extinguishers and stuff, and with helicopters flying over it was kind of cool :P.Also it was my first fest and it was no where near as bad as i feared it would be to extent where i loved it :)

davetkd666

Postby davetkd666 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Chubs wrote:Just been reading some more feed back!!!!

LOL......

Totally agree the early campers where miles away from arena!

Dont want to complain because festival was fantastic wish we was still there but yeah they did fence area off and struggled with loos and water.

We did move so cant complain! we was lucky and just bought 2 pop up tents and moved to outside the arena on the Saturday.

It seemed the late comers, were near all the facilities but you must admit the atmosphere in the early camp was the best! we found the late comers more quiet and didnt chant as much hahahaha

Some good points here.
Personally I'd rather walk up the hill a couple of times a day than be camped on it all weekend which as far as i cud see wuda been the only alternative

CFH_Liam

Postby CFH_Liam » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:31 pm

frakk me you lot dont half like to complain.

me and my mate got there about 4pm on thurs, camped near the main entrence. Yes there was a good 25 min walk to the arena but fuckinghell, so what? its a 25 minute walk, not a frakking 26 mile marathon, its really not that much of a hassle to walk for 25 minutes. We got the flattest ground to camp on, in the quietest spot, i mean quietest as in wasnt constant music being blasted out the village fairground and tents all night whilst you try to sleep on a sloping hill, with constant flows of loud drunk metallers walkin past all night.

My only complaint was the lack of water points & shitters.

For £10 what were you expecting? a limo to drop you off at the front of the main stage? :roll:
ImageImage

Monopoly

Postby Monopoly » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:37 pm

CFH_Liam wrote:frakk me you lot dont half like to complain.

me and my mate got there about 4pm on thurs, camped near the main entrence. Yes there was a good 25 min walk to the arena but fuckinghell, so what? its a 25 minute walk, not a frakking 26 mile marathon, its really not that much of a hassle to walk for 25 minutes. We got the flattest ground to camp on, in the quietest spot, i mean quietest as in wasnt constant music being blasted out the village fairground and tents all night whilst you try to sleep on a sloping hill, with constant flows of loud drunk metallers walkin past all night.

My only complaint was the lack of water points & shitters.

For £10 what were you expecting? a limo to drop you off at the front of the main stage? :roll:

Actually the thing is, the "loud" music from bohemia was quite pleasantly medium to low volume, the loud drunks weren't loud really, actually quite funny, and the hill was not that steep. All made for a very comfortable 3 nights of camping for me and my 6 other mates. That's why the early-birds are pissed off, they felt they should've got that, having paid a bit more. ;)
Image Image

Monopoly wrote:CHOCOLATE STARFISH!

kazz wrote:would you like that with hot dog flavoured water?

sorry. couldn't resist...

:lol:

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”