Normal Camping

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
potticus

Re: Normal Camping

Postby potticus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Hey everyone, I've decided to come out of my forum stalking mode (for the past .... 6months? :P) as hopefully providing useful feedback will help everyone have a better festival next year :)

The one thing that struck me about the campsites was (well, in red 1 anyways) how many people went to bed early! I know no-one really wants the idiotic late night antics associated with R&L etc, but I just think the atmosphere was a bit too chilled, and I think this is mainly due to the lack of campfires.

By all means, idiots who have giant 4ft high pyres can frakk right off, but I don't see what's wrong with a small contained fire, in a tray etc, that can give both light and heat and would have meant that our group would have been up a lot longer in the evenings. In the end, everyone got a bit cold and so went to bed, but with a little fire this wouldn't have been a problem. As has already been stated (and I agree with) camping was pretty spacious, so I don't see the danger in allowing small contained fires for everyone to enjoy with some tinnies after the music's finished.

Perhaps a solution might be for Soni to provide (for a deposit, or for a small fee or combination of the two) a "Fire Tin", in which you could make a fire, and provided it was contained within this limit when checked by security etc, it would be OK?
Cold silence has a tendancy to atrophe any sense of compassion

martin

Postby martin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Camp site was pretty cool, could of done with more toilets and water points, as the queues were bit too long at times.
Having the cooking area was a pretty good idea, but we just cooked at our tents.

It says 'No gazebos' but I saw a fair few with them, please let us have them (officially) at future Sonisphere's as it can help to create a more homely atmosphere round the campsite.

Noticed the small fences that were around the campsite and just wondered how good was security on the other side of those fences (near the trees)?
Leeds Festival have big walls up and it feels a lot safer and less chance of pikey bastards climbing over and stealing from the tents.

Maybe TS could implement this for next year.

martin

Postby martin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:10 pm

potticus wrote:Hey everyone, I've decided to come out of my forum stalking mode (for the past .... 6months? :P) as hopefully providing useful feedback will help everyone have a better festival next year :)

The one thing that struck me about the campsites was (well, in red 1 anyways) how many people went to bed early! I know no-one really wants the idiotic late night antics associated with R&L etc, but I just think the atmosphere was a bit too chilled, and I think this is mainly due to the lack of campfires.

By all means, idiots who have giant 4ft high pyres can frakk right off, but I don't see what's wrong with a small contained fire, in a tray etc, that can give both light and heat and would have meant that our group would have been up a lot longer in the evenings. In the end, everyone got a bit cold and so went to bed, but with a little fire this wouldn't have been a problem. As has already been stated (and I agree with) camping was pretty spacious, so I don't see the danger in allowing small contained fires for everyone to enjoy with some tinnies after the music's finished.

Perhaps a solution might be for Soni to provide (for a deposit, or for a small fee or combination of the two) a "Fire Tin", in which you could make a fire, and provided it was contained within this limit when checked by security etc, it would be OK?

Unfortunately there's always some idiot who ruins it for the rest of us responsible adults who can actually contain a fire.
Sonisphere could maybe create an area where people could gather round and socialize whilst sitting round a contained fire (by someone who worked for Sonisphere).

That way there's less chance of it getting out of control and people throwing stuff on, etc.

davetkd666

Postby davetkd666 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:32 am

Unfortunately there's always some idiot who ruins it for the rest of us responsible adults who can actually contain a fire.

We got away with it :mrgreen: 2 nights in a row
We bought some fire log thingies (from the comfy camper no less) and sat with one in our little BBQ thing (black bowl-like thing about 1/2 a metre in diameter and a good few inches deep)
No one bothered us on the 1st night, but on the 2nd the kids camped next to us had a large fire going which attracted the attention of the stewards.
They then checked out our fire and asked us if we were planning to cook on it - we (not so truthfully) said yes. The guy asked us not to add anything to the fire and left us alone.
So we then gave the kids our last remaining fire log with the instruction not to add anything which should avoid further attention.
Of course within minutes they ignored our advice and yet again attracted the fire wardens who put theirs out - again ignoring us.

Got a good few angry looks from the campers as our fire was nicely burning away

fatperson

Postby fatperson » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:43 am

Sonisphere could maybe create an area where people could gather round and socialize whilst sitting round a contained fire (by someone who worked for Sonisphere).

I just posted in the food section that there was a dedicated 'cooking area' in the campsite nearest to us. Right next to the look-out-post warden. This idea could be developed to provide a communal area for meeting, and cooking etc.

potticus

Postby potticus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:51 pm

davetkd666 wrote:

They then checked out our fire and asked us if we were planning to cook on it - we (not so truthfully) said yes. The guy asked us not to add anything to the fire and left us alone.

Hmm. We had a bbq, and considered adding some logs to it but the police got a bit arsey about our tealights (!?!) so didn't bother. I had to try make a baked potato in a miserable excuse of a bbq, ended up half done but I ate it anyways. Would have been much better with a few burning logs around it :(

If there is going to be that much security roaming around, then I think they should be able to deal with the minority who start dangerous fires, whilst letting responsibles like us lot have nice contained fires, I don't see why this is too difficult if the people in the security towers look out for dangerous stuff and walkietalkie the police towards it :)

fetgirl

Postby fetgirl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:41 pm

davetkd666 wrote:
To be fair, if it's your first fest, you have to realise that others have done this before and can acually draw comparisons. Vital if Sonisphere wants to remain in the market and be competative
That said, much of the feedback has ben constructive.
Although as for the early entry, I believe that the promoters chose quality of pitch to the proximity of the venue (which meant camping on that bloody hill - even then - if you used the day ticket entry road it wasn't that bad a walk. Also meant you weren't lugging tonnes of gooseberry for ages when arriving or leaving.
It also felt more secure - being further away and fenced off with stewards at each access point

Yes it was my first fest BUT my bf has been to several and he agreed with everything I said. Also the group of people we ended up camping with had the same views, and again thay had all been to diff festivals before (download/leeds/reading/glasto)

lalalala

Postby lalalala » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:35 pm

i really enjoyed the weekend of music, however there were a few problems with the camping.

First of all, why the hell was there only 17 showers for a campsite of about 20,000. And they werent even free. how crap is that. The organizers should have put up a tent with load of showers so everyone could shower if they wanted to. Then add a fiver to the cost of the camping ticket.

Also if i pay a tenner to turn up early i expect to b able 2 pitch a tent as near to the main arena as possible. I dont care if i was only 100 metres away from the car park, i would happly walked with my stuff to get a better spot to pitch in.

last but not lest, gas canisters were not allowed, so my mate got his taken off him. we had brought some food and wanted to cook so i got a cheap metal thingy for a fiver which burned using blocks of what looked like solid lighter fluid. It was very dangerous compared to the gas canister we had intended to use. That was a stupid decision by the organisers. Wot the hell were they thinkin????

potticus

Postby potticus » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:35 pm

lalalala wrote:last but not lest, gas canisters were not allowed, so my mate got his taken off him. we had brought some food and wanted to cook so i got a cheap metal thingy for a fiver which burned using blocks of what looked like solid lighter fluid. It was very dangerous compared to the gas canister we had intended to use. That was a stupid decision by the organisers. Wot the hell were they thinkin????

There's no way hexiblocks are more dangerous than gas canisters. A hexiblock is about as dangerous as a bit of wood, apart from the fact you can't lamp someone over the head with a hexiblock.

End. Of. Story.

Rancidpunk_76

Postby Rancidpunk_76 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 am

I'm probably in the minority here but (after initial moaning) i ended up being glad that camp fires were banned. Yup, i stand corrected.

In the past (at other festivals) i've always enjoyed sitting around a fire late at night and chilling out, but this year i didn't miss it at all. Not only that, but how clear was the air around the camp site? I'm used to the clothes that have stayed in my ruck sack all weekend still stinking of campfire, but not this year.

Reading festival always seems to be enveloped in a thick smog of campfire smoke morning/noon/night, Sonsisphere was far better on the ol' lungs - and i was smoking like a trooper that weekend! :lol:

mand61123

Postby mand61123 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:26 am

Only minor gripes for me really...

1) paid for locker yet no one could tell us where they were so we gave up and didn't bother.
2) The wheelbarrow people decided that they were closing when we asked for one on the friday??? think that was just bad luck though :(
3) Also what was the weird anal business about having to stay off the road??? people are not stupid when they see a car they move to the side simple.
4) Alot of the staff weren't very well informed but were nice enough and being the first time it is to be expected.
5) More toilets and showers needed but i think for the amount of people we all pretty much kept them clean for each other and managed pretty well.

Camping was fine, waterpoint nearby, toilets not to far and i was really surprised at how many food options there were!! bollox to the cooking next year!!!, the stalls had everything if you'd forgotten stuff. The prices we'ren't as expensive as i expected either so that was good.
Oh yeh more bins i bagged all our rubbish up but basically had to leave them at the side of the tent which i wasn't keen on i prefer not to cook sleep near my rubbish. If we'd have had somewhere to put them i would have and i'm sure others would have to.

Excellent atmosphere, Excellent bands, loved the stage like that meant the only person i missed was Corey Taylor and will definately be back again next year. :clap:

Bring on the MILKSHAKE!!!

Have you sacrificed a beer yet?
Support a fellow boardie donate @
http://www.justgiving.com/whelanclan/

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”