VIP/Guest Camping

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
teamcass

Re: VIP/Guest Camping

Postby teamcass » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Overall I had a brilliant weekend Metallica were awesome, and the rest of the line up (well, mostly) didn't fail to impress either.

We were bring your own tent option, and the location couldn't have been better, in the arena pretty much within a minute of leaving our tent, but I noticed this was because we arrived early, but even the later arrivals didn't have far to walk really compared to normal camping!

Having the car next to the tent was a massive bonus, and will make me consider going vip for festivals in the future!

The lighting levels in the camping section were ideal, light enough to see by but not massive bright lights that burn out your retina whilst you're trying to sleep!

Seems there was some confusion about FMC stuff for vip people, but we had no problems, we asked about it when we got our vip wristbands, and they said we had to go to the main box office to get it, this was quite a trek, but we had the whole of Friday to do it in so had no problems, would have been good if the wristbands had been on the gate too, but not a massive issue.

Unfortunately, like most people I was not impressed with the toilets, and the fact that one block got taken away on Friday. There were not enough showers for the number of people there, and faced with huuuuuge queues I didn't shower until Monday morning when they were pretty much empty, and it seemed to work fine for me.

Security, a big issue, I only really had my wristband checked because I volunteered it and made it easy to see. But one person checking at the main entrance to VIP isn't enough especially at busy times.

We were there about 3.30pm on Thursday, and I guess that is why we had no problem with the goody bags. A few things I don't understand though, if you have sold X many vip tickets, you need X many bags with the stuff in, surely that shouldn't have gone wrong for people?! One of the benefits of being in vip was having free hot showers...so why do we need dry shampoo...surely shower gel is more appropriate? Would have liked a different VIP t-shirt instead of the main festival one. A laminate is what I would have really liked in there instead of having to buy one.

My final point is yet another mentioned by other people, some form of shop/merch stall separate for us would have been appreciated.

duvster

Postby duvster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:05 am

Starscream wrote:
katisphere wrote:to whoever wrote "I found the staff on the desk rude, and they only seemed interested in getting drunk. (We were camped only a few yards from the desk)."

Were you camped by the orange tent in the second field, because I think they were Tangerine Field staff pumping up air beds etc

We were actually camped right next to the VIP camping main entrance. The staff were definitely interested in one think, (and that was drinking).

rahtid wrote:Regarding the tickets,They had to take them because they needed to scanned,Basically the network did not reach up to where VIP camping was.The ticket box office was the complete other side of the site( over a mile away) where they had the network to scan tickets.
None of the staff were selling the tickets on to mates.To even say such a thing is stupid as all staff had the chance to add people to the VIP Guest list.

FMC - There was no confusion about FMC,They did not have the wrist bands they were a Mile across site(Box Office again) then they decided that VIP Reg would be giving the wrist bands to give to FMC on Saturday

Are you naive? Or are you a member of the Sonisphere staff? There are TWO barcodes on a ticket. One on the stub, (which is kept by the venue/festival), and one on the remainder that's given back to the person attending the festival. And if the staff weren't selling on the tickets, can you explain the surge in weekend VIP'ers that suddenly arrived mid sunday morning?

Every single festival that I've been to that requires a wristband, I've had to exchange my ticket for a wristband. Simples!

Barracuda

Postby Barracuda » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:09 am

I can only echo the Toilet situation. More and cleaned during the fest next year please.

I WOULD go VIP again. It was great not to have to walk so far, have more room, VIP area was cool, free goody bag was great!

-Barracuda

fairyfluff76

Postby fairyfluff76 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:27 pm

Did vip people get back stage passes?

I mean I see lots of photos of people who have met some of the bands, what exactly does vip get you because I may consider it next year if its worth it.

Thanks

amyfrank

Postby amyfrank » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:09 pm

fairyfluff76 wrote:Did vip people get back stage passes?
I mean I see lots of photos of people who have met some of the bands, what exactly does vip get you because I may consider it next year if its worth it.
Thanks

Nope, no backstage passes (unless you got black FMC wristband?) Some of the bands fluttered through the VIP area. I for one met the lovely Dryden from AAF :D
[LINKIN PARK UNDERGROUND]

thejanine

Postby thejanine » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:16 pm

VIP
The Good, the bad and the downright Ugly

OK, Start positive as the management gurus say:
1. 5 minute walk to the music was brilliant.
2. Camping pitches were well laid out and large.
3. Being able to park next to the tent was brilliant.
4. The music was great (as was the stage set up).
5. liked the free bag and tshirt.

The Bad
1. VIP area dull and expensive. Bar was awful. Handing out cans is easy. Put some pumps on next time.
2. VIP area loos were lacking and grim.
3. Goody bag contents was rubbish. I expected at least the lanyard as well as maybe a pint mug, sleep mask and maybe ear plugs. Hair products were suitable for none of my party of 5. It was all blatently stuff Sonipshere were given for free.
4. Loos ran out of paper. Lucky I brought my own.
5. When the loos were cleaned it was at about 9am. So the cleaners where trying to clean when everyone was getting up to go. Do it at 6am or 7am!
6. Should have opened VIP bar on saturday
7. The information volunteers knew NOTHING. Not their fault. Give them facts and info. Same goes for the amusingly named information area. I missed the FMC party cos they didn't know anyone was allowed in. Wanted to see the burlesque
8. Security was seriously lax except at the VIP bar area which I didn't really want to go to anyway

THe Ugly
1. The VIP camping area toilets were vile from about the second day. Get proper cleaners not volunteers. Possibly get a different type of loo. Chemical loos can't cut it.
2. I paid more than the ordinary tickets to stand in a shower queue for an hour for a cold shower. Outrageous and not in a good way. Get at least 3 more blocks. Showers were also cold regularly and on Saturday only half were working in the morning. VIP my arse

And we did notice that Friday morning a whole loo block had magically walked to the VIP bar area from the camping area. Poor planning people
BUT
Saying all that, I still LOVED SONISPHERE. It rocked. The atmosphere was amazing. Will be going again but hope that the feedback from this board improves the VIP experience.

hippyd

Postby hippyd » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Well first things first welcome to england soni and glad to hear you had a good time rocking with the brits.

the VIP was ok me and my family really liked the old done up barn to go and chill out and how close we where to main stage.

a few things to improve on next time please have food places on the vip area and please for my kids sake have cleaner toilets hahaha for there tiny noses could not take the smell.

Y.L.S

Postby Y.L.S » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:29 am

Had a fantastic time at Soni, a big well done to the organisers!
Thought the goodie bag was awesome, was jam packed full! Loved having space around the tent, and the overall atmosphere was so nice in VIP.
However, on the Friday my friend and I had booked a night in a hotel, and due to all our heavy bags, thought we'd get the shuttle bus down to the entrance, but after asking several members of staff, one extremely rude taxi company, and then being sent in every direction, we had to call on our big strong friend to lug our bags through the slums for us. The next morning, the shuttle bus failed to arrive on time, so we had to call a taxi, and as a mini bus turned up, a load of us piled into that, only to find, on the walk to the arena, vip shuttle buses constantly driving past us!!
Another gripe was the block of toilets taken away and never replaced; our neighbour made numerous complaints yet never recieved an explanation for this!
Finally, our tent was rummaged through on Sunday evening, though they only got away with a torch and bra, after informing a policeman at the gate of the incident, he just made a comment about boobs :shock:
A few people were asking if I was under the impression that we had backstage passes included with our ticket, and they seemed quite dissapointed that there wasn't, but if it was the meeting of bands they were after; many were partying sat night, and there was also the signing bus!

Well, the good points far outweighed the bad, and I shall definitely be returning next year! :D

markyg

Postby markyg » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:15 am

Y.L.S wrote:Had a fantastic time at Soni, a big well done to the organisers!
Thought the goodie bag was awesome, was jam packed full! Loved having space around the tent, and the overall atmosphere was so nice in VIP.
However, on the Friday my friend and I had booked a night in a hotel, and due to all our heavy bags, thought we'd get the shuttle bus down to the entrance, but after asking several members of staff, one extremely rude taxi company, and then being sent in every direction, we had to call on our big strong friend to lug our bags through the slums for us. The next morning, the shuttle bus failed to arrive on time, so we had to call a taxi, and as a mini bus turned up, a load of us piled into that, only to find, on the walk to the arena, vip shuttle buses constantly driving past us!!
Another gripe was the block of toilets taken away and never replaced; our neighbour made numerous complaints yet never recieved an explanation for this!
Finally, our tent was rummaged through on Sunday evening, though they only got away with a torch and bra, after informing a policeman at the gate of the incident, he just made a comment about boobs :shock:
A few people were asking if I was under the impression that we had backstage passes included with our ticket, and they seemed quite dissapointed that there wasn't, but if it was the meeting of bands they were after; many were partying sat night, and there was also the signing bus!

Well, the good points far outweighed the bad, and I shall definitely be returning next year! :D

I know your face ;)
99% of what I say is sarcastic. The other 3% is a lie. You decide.
Official Butt Squeezer of "The 83"
CAMP LYM - THE CAMP THAT NEEDS NO THREAD
Will dance for food or beer

Infelice

Postby Infelice » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:36 am

Just to echo some of the above comments:

The staff did not have a clue what was going on when we arrived on the Thursday. We were told we couldn't keep our tickets as it was a security risk. There were no goody bags and no details on FMC so we were told to return the next day. I even had to ask where we then drove to as the staff did not point us in any direction and seemed happy for us to be wandering around willy-nilly. When we returned to collect our goody bags, there were several staff inside the tent cramming stuff from boxes into bags...so it's no wonder some people got more than others.

We were first to arrive in the Myhabs and I must stress our two young dudes were very helpful and friendly...I think they were called Tom and Wayne. That being said the other staff from the orange tent were completely clueless...we even discovered they had tried to let someone have our Myhab even though we had arrived only a couple of hours earlier. We were told to park near the podpads even though our details said we could park "next to" our Myhab. Luckily we were in Myhab No1 so had space to park our car at the side anyway. In the end we just joked that us Myhabbers were rich enough to pay £700 to sleep under cardboard like tramps.

The Myhabs were okay but not strictly as advertised. Where was the luxurious foam mattress ? 2" thick is not luxury. Also no one had their mirrors !!! The little light was useless but luckily we had brought torches. Also there wasn't strictly an area to put your bags and boots.

Thursday and Friday Security was fine but come Saturday and Sunday, it fell completely on it's arse. There were people wandering all over the place, pissing everywhere, climbing through fences..and the gate between VIP and staff/volunteers was abandoned even though we had had to ask to pass through to use the toilets on the two previous days. The same with Security at the arena entrance, at times people could just wander through and the girl who sat in the same holey leggings for 2 days was as useful as a turd on a stick.

The toilets were absolutely disgusting, seriously what do those people eat/drink/snort to release fecal matter like that !!!! My boyfriend came back from the toilets on Saturday morning and told me to rush over as they had just been cleaned...unfortunately the cubicle I picked had already been on the receiving end of some tosser who must have just dropped his dick out and pissed over his feet.

The VIP hospitality area was a bit of a joke, we walked in and walked out again. The charged £1.80 for a cup of tea whereas it was only £1.00 in the main arena...and the cheaper tea was in a bigger cup !! I can only assume they might have also charged more for other beverages.

That being said the rest of the festival was fan-fricking-tastic. We are waiting for line-up details before deciding if we attend next year...and if we do we will be doing it hotel stylie.

Finally a big call-out to Honky and his missus....white Killing Joke tshirt rules :bow-yellow:
Four days without World of Warcraft ? Pfft, better be some good music playing XD

Grables

Postby Grables » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:08 pm

I wasn't in the vip area myself, but i've spoken to someone who was and isn't a boardie and they said that the toilets were aweful and not enough of them and that the arena toilets were better than the VIP ones.

line-6

Postby line-6 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:26 pm

graham8 wrote:I wasn't in the vip area myself, but i've spoken to someone who was and isn't a boardie and they said that the toilets were aweful and not enough of them and that the arena toilets were better than the VIP ones.

Yes, toilets were aweful! They had a nice block on Thursday but then took them away!!! I think they went to the VIP hospitality area. We had lovely pitch first but then went back to the tent on Friday night to find 2 more tents crammed around ours. Still more room than pleb camp tho and we were on the end of row so plenty of room one side. Have to laugh about goody bag, the tee was brillient! The bag was brillient! But, what the frakk is a baldy like me suppose to do with dry shampoo, hair spray and styling gel?? :lol:
Over all, will defo be doing VIP again, walk to arena was great, space was great, atmosphere was great, parking next to tent, PRICELESS!!! and the burgers from hospitality were AWESOME!! :bow-yellow: Well worth the extra £1 to have a well made real munch!

Y.L.S

Postby Y.L.S » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:40 pm

markyg wrote:
Y.L.S wrote:Had a fantastic time at Soni, a big well done to the organisers!

I know your face ;)

Ah! Hello neighbour! :)

markyg

Postby markyg » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Y.L.S wrote:Ah! Hello neighbour! :)

Bonjour Moi Cherie. I trust you got home OK? Either that or you are posting from your tent, which let`s face it would be awesome.

Y.L.S

Postby Y.L.S » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 pm

markyg wrote:

Bonjour Moi Cherie. I trust you got home OK? Either that or you are posting from your tent, which let`s face it would be awesome.

That would indeed be awesome, but unfortunately I'm home! Did you have a good festival?

markyg

Postby markyg » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:12 am

Y.L.S wrote:
markyg wrote:

That would indeed be awesome, but unfortunately I'm home! Did you have a good festival?

Oh yes indeed, I feel the need to re-attend next year! Apart from the robbing was your`s good?

Y.L.S

Postby Y.L.S » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:31 am

markyg wrote:
Oh yes indeed, I feel the need to re-attend next year! Apart from the robbing was your`s good?

Good to hear :)
Yes was brilliant thanks, already looking forward to 2010!

markyg

Postby markyg » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:37 am

Y.L.S wrote:
markyg wrote:

Good to hear :)
Yes was brilliant thanks, already looking forward to 2010!

Save us a space ;)

Martii

Postby Martii » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:39 pm

VIP SHUTTLE BUS

I dont know if anyone else has mentioned this yet but the stewards said the service would start at 8am on the Monday, it didnt, me and my boyfriend had to treck to the frount to catch our bus before it left us behind, this was NOT fun and I suggest the shuttle bus starts earlyer on the Monday so people can get to thier bus on time?

(i also put this is misc feedback)

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Def going Vip again.... woohoo
Image Image

elmfc23

Postby elmfc23 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Just thought I'd revamp this thread, as it seems to have gone dead!

Seems the only thread that VIP and media can get to meet. and we are all going to be drining in the same bar, so thought why not!!

So who going VIP and who's media?

Roll on soni 2010 :text-givemebeer:
ImageImageImage

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:22 am

Vip all the way baby!
(Hi Aran!)
Image Image

elmfc23

Postby elmfc23 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:33 pm

welshAC_81 wrote:Vip all the way baby!
(Hi Aran!)

Hey Manda, I'm probably flogging a dead horse here, but thought I'd give it a bash ha ha
ImageImageImage

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”