Disabled Feedback

Got any feedback for us from our first UK appearance, let us know about it in here
rockgeek

Disabled Feedback

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:43 am

:?:

corney91

Re: Disabled Feedback

Postby corney91 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:15 pm

Disabled camping was fantastic - can't think of anything negative to say at all :D

she bangs the drums

Postby she bangs the drums » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Positives

Wristband exchange on site
Really friendly and helpful Stewards and guys from Attitude is Everything
Really clear process when booking and organising. Thanks to Tess. Everything ran smoothly and all necessary documents arrived in good time
Good Campsite with easily and quick access to arena and car parking next to the tent

Negatives

No lights on the campsite - made it really hard to find our way back to the tent in the dark!

Only one platform in the middle meant we couldn't hear/see as well as we'd like to have done, though I understand it minimised moving around.

Also if possible could platforms in tent please be a bit bigger - It got very squashed in there and meant my PA had to bring a chair and carry it all day

The words 'Disabled' and 'Carer' on the wristband and ticket respectively. Although I understand the need to make the needs of Disabled Sonisphere goers clear to all staff, and acknowledge the political/rights aspect of identifying as Disabled, it's one thing to self define in this way, quite another to have it slapped all over your forearm all weekend by an organisation who is clearly working hard to ensure equality of access for disabled people. If possible could we have 'Accessible' and 'PA' next time please?

PaganWolf

Postby PaganWolf » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:11 pm

No disabled facilities in VIP although everyone was aware of one of our party being disabled. To get my friends wristband we had to walk all the way down to the box office, as they didn't have any in VIP camping. We left it until the morning and asked directions. Despite having a wheelchair no person told us how far it was, when we got there it was all sorted fairly quickly and we had to ask for a golf cart to take my friend back up.

The one viewing platform was a great idea, but unfortunately it didn't do well with sound. The stewards on the platform were great though. I also think that 'She bangs the drums' has it right with the wristbands.
Please use my FMC code. 1k910316
Lucky enough to be 1 of 83. Join us this year!
www.severedfifth.com

jadeylemonadey

Postby jadeylemonadey » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:08 pm

only massive problem i could pick out was having to walk from one end of the entire site to the other just to get my wristband which was not very fun with a broken leg haha, there should probably be a seperate box office for disabled people maybe?

didn't end up using the disabled stage, one cos standing wasnt too bad for me but also it was heaving all the time!

Missy

Postby Missy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:28 pm

Was good to see many wheelchair users and people on crutches around the site, they obviously found it easy to get around, but the platform did seem packed alot of the time, dont think it could have got much bigger tho :?
When your drunk shake your ass like you know how to dance...
<3Keep your hands to yourself, these lips belong to someone else...<3

Eycreta Tauri Astutos Frustrantul

silaslang

Postby silaslang » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:26 am

Being our first festival I thought that Sonisphere was excellent and met some fantastic people. Speaking to others within the disabled campsite I was able to gather little snippets of what made it great and what would have made it even better. Overall I will be back next year and will be telling others of how great it was.

Pros

The Attitude is everything tent and staff. Ace staff who I felt sorry for giving up their time to help others and missing some of the bands they wanted to see. I will be volunteering next year for some of the staff to get to see the acts.

The wristband exchange on site was excellent, although I was unaware of that till told by other people, nevertheless, excellent idea.

The access platforms combined with the arena stage layout. Also, having the two disabled toilets under the access platform was brilliant.

The young Scottish lady that was supervising the access platform was superb, as were all the staff on the platforms.

The friendly family attitude within the disabled camp, I realised that a lot of people personally knew each other from other festivals and was warmly welcomed in by them.

Cons (Well possible suggestions)

No refrigeration or sanitisation items for people who require medication, perhaps one could be installed within the Attitude is everything tent.

People smoking on the access platform around my young child got annoying, never said anything to anyone but perhaps next year one of the two access platforms could be a No Smoking Platform.

As mentioned on here the platforms got filled up and no more people allowed on them, not sure how that could be overcame other than making them larger. Probably could do that and move the centre foodstalls which were creating a bottleneck anyway.

The row of festival toilets being loacted not far and directly inline with one of the access platforms, during Metallica it smelt like a sewerage plant. They were on level with the access platform, perhaps offsetting the two may have helped.

Perhaps more showers, people spoke of Download having 4 times more available.

The access to the arena for wheelchair users could have used the road leading to VIP, meaning they could have avoided the crowds in the arena. I was told by people that they were seeing if it was possible to use this road. Next year it should be allowed for the disabled camping.

'She bangs the drums' wristband idea is definately something that should be implemented next year. :clap:
The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

kizandtango

Postby kizandtango » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:35 pm

silaslang wrote:
Cons (Well possible suggestions)

No refrigeration or sanitisation items for people who require medication, perhaps one could be installed within the Attitude is everything tent.

People smoking on the access platform around my young child got annoying, never said anything to anyone but perhaps next year one of the two access platforms could be a No Smoking Platform.

As mentioned on here the platforms got filled up and no more people allowed on them, not sure how that could be overcame other than making them larger. Probably could do that and move the centre foodstalls which were creating a bottleneck anyway.

The access to the arena for wheelchair users could have used the road leading to VIP, meaning they could have avoided the crowds in the arena. I was told by people that they were seeing if it was possible to use this road. Next year it should be allowed for the disabled camping.

'She bangs the drums' wristband idea is definately something that should be implemented next year. :clap:

Agree with everything there. We had to store medication in the *medicine man* Fridge which was a fair way away, the Attitude dude was really helpfull, but it seemed the organisers didnt want to co operate fully with him which was a shame, as they never bothered getting back to him about the route through VIP, which would have made SUCH a difference to getting to the stages, cuts the journey in half.

As for the Scottish lady...she was really rude to me and my carer.
On the first day, my carer dropped her camera by her seat, and we pulled our seat forward to the front of the stage, and she picked it up, and would NOT give it back to us until we had solid proof she owned it. Thats fair enough, but she saw us move from that position, and was rly rude about it.

After that, she forced me to put my camera away because the *Lens was too big* Which rly upset me as im a photographer and its my one hobby I can do without getting exausted. After this, people ALL around me had larger, more powerfull cameras, and she said nothing to them at all ! (1 of them was the SAME camera as mine, and another 2 were more powerful models of mine)

Lastly, I wasnt in a wheelchair, but only have use of one lung, as well as arthritis and Cystic fibrosis, but she never once offered a chair to me or my Carer (I ended up bringing my own), despite almost running to others when they entered the stage on crutches or in a chair. After I managed to get permission to use my cam, she was clearly pissed off as when she went round askin everyone if they were ok, she asked everyone before us, and everyone after us, and looked away when she got to us ! Pure rudeness and made me feel like I was doing something wrong because I wasnt visibly disabled.

Soz, Rant I know, But I really felt like id done something wrong when I hadnt, and just wanted to enjoy it like everyone else on the platform.

becci27

Postby becci27 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:36 pm

I am probably going to repeat a lot of the above....

I would have loved to use the back way to enter the arena. It was quite a walk round and uneven ground can add to the difficulty, especially when it was muddy. I know that the back road was uneven and difficult for wheelchair users but I'm sure that could be sorted with boards. I was so tempted to beg to go out that way after metallica as I have trouble being pushed along with the crowds. And it was slippery walking from the path by the attitude tent to the grass.

The platforms were big but so far from the action. I do understand that the lay out was probably for the best but I couldn't help being a bit disappointed by that. I was surprised by the limited amount of chairs on the platforms. They were all taken on several occasions, perhaps sometimes by carers but I wouldn't have the cheek to ask someone to move. The toilets were very handy and the young man (ooh, young man!!) looking after them before Linkin Park was lovely, really friendly and helpful.

Platform in tent could have been bigger. And when I first asked if there was disabled access during Coheed I was told quite curtly 'No'. Luckily, being the stubborn so and so that I am, I didn't take any notice and asked someone else. He was far more helpful and actually took me all the way round and got me in. No mean feat when you remember how packed it was.

Our lovely neighbour, Mark, had his chair unplugged on several occasions meaning that he had to recharge it during the day and therefore missed some music. He was very gracious about it but I was furious. There were more plugs available so we don't know why someone would need to unplug it. His chair ran out of battery in the arena and he was stuck. Two young but wonderful security pushed him back.

The campsite was lovely. I thought there were enough loos and didn't ever have to queue for long.

I had a fantastic time, my favourite festival ever :music-rockon: Thank you :D :D :D :D :D
My FMC is lonely. Please use it when buying your ticket- 1k959556

kizandtango

Postby kizandtango » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Agreed that boards might have been a good idea for wheelchairs, but they dont do anything for people like me who are able to walk, but need a shorter route to avoid being exausted afterwards.

Plugs in the disabled camp would have been good, inside somewhere though, as I needed to do 2 nebulisers a day, and we killed the car battery because of running the neb off of that ! (You may have seen the RAC dude jump start us on sunday...)

Darkmoon

Postby Darkmoon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:04 am

It was a wicked festival and people were all so nice.

There were only a couple of things that may help to be changed.
The platforms were full meaning my carer was not alowed on with me. (this is a BIG problem for me as I need her with me all the time) Not enought chairs though a couple of people moved for me seeing me on crutches (Thanks to all of them)
There were only 2 toilets by the platform which were full before the main acts :shock:
Light was limited in the camping maybe some more. People in the camp were parking in exits so maybe a bit more space. Also more toilets in campsite.

The only downside for me was not having carer with me on platform. But other than that I LOVED it and can't wait till next year. There were so amazing people in our camp and so many I hope to see next year :D

becci27

Postby becci27 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:18 am

kizandtango wrote:Agreed that boards might have been a good idea for wheelchairs, but they dont do anything for people like me who are able to walk, but need a shorter route to avoid being exausted afterwards.

Plugs in the disabled camp would have been good, inside somewhere though, as I needed to do 2 nebulisers a day, and we killed the car battery because of running the neb off of that ! (You may have seen the RAC dude jump start us on sunday...)

I am like you and would have appreciated a shorter distance but some of those that we made friends with were wheelchair users and I wouldn't have liked to be allowed the back way if they were refused.

The plugs were in the attitude tent, towards the funfair end of camp. They were free to use but I think there should have been someone there during the night. It is a shame that you did not know about this, perhaps that needs taking into consideration by the organisers. I suppose I only knew because I am such a nosey cow ;)

kizandtango

Postby kizandtango » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:55 am

Oops, my bad on that one then ! I went in there a dozen times as well !

becci27

Postby becci27 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:07 am

kizandtango wrote:Oops, my bad on that one then ! I went in there a dozen times as well !

Ha ha! OOPS!! They were on the table to the right as you went in. But a little bit more info wouldn't have gone amiss.

kas

Postby kas » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:21 am

i wish that the platforms were nearer the stage i did feel as if it was a bit of them and us, we could hear what was going on on the empty stage as we were trying to listen to the bands, especially on sunday when the girl on the empty stage was shouting through a mike and swearing a lot, that was heard over the band that we were watching. the disabled toilets could have been cleaned more often, my carer used his own chair thank goodness as there wasnt enough seats on the stage. apart from that we did enjoy the festival and would do it again

psalms

Postby psalms » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:53 am

becci27 wrote:I am probably going to repeat a lot of the above....

I would have loved to use the back way to enter the arena. It was quite a walk round and uneven ground can add to the difficulty, especially when it was muddy. I know that the back road was uneven and difficult for wheelchair users but I'm sure that could be sorted with boards. I was so tempted to beg to go out that way after metallica as I have trouble being pushed along with the crowds. And it was slippery walking from the path by the attitude tent to the grass.

The platforms were big but so far from the action. I do understand that the lay out was probably for the best but I couldn't help being a bit disappointed by that. I was surprised by the limited amount of chairs on the platforms. They were all taken on several occasions, perhaps sometimes by carers but I wouldn't have the cheek to ask someone to move. The toilets were very handy and the young man (ooh, young man!!) looking after them before Linkin Park was lovely, really friendly and helpful.

Platform in tent could have been bigger. And when I first asked if there was disabled access during Coheed I was told quite curtly 'No'. Luckily, being the stubborn so and so that I am, I didn't take any notice and asked someone else. He was far more helpful and actually took me all the way round and got me in. No mean feat when you remember how packed it was.

Our lovely neighbour, Mark, had his chair unplugged on several occasions meaning that he had to recharge it during the day and therefore missed some music. He was very gracious about it but I was furious. There were more plugs available so we don't know why someone would need to unplug it. His chair ran out of battery in the arena and he was stuck. Two young but wonderful security pushed him back.

The campsite was lovely. I thought there were enough loos and didn't ever have to queue for long.

I had a fantastic time, my favourite festival ever :music-rockon: Thank you :D :D :D :D :D

MY wife and I met mark in the arena before Metallica. He'd run out of battery by the comfy crappers. Didn't have his charge adaptor with him to plug in anywhere. Rang his carer who refused to come and help. She met us by the campsite entrance, dropped of the adaptor and fucked off! Lovely woman. Ended up pushing him up to the platform between us. Glad to hear he got back to the campsite after the gig!
FMC codes 1k911003 / 1k911004. You know the drill....

becci27

Postby becci27 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:44 pm

psalms wrote:
MY wife and I met mark in the arena before Metallica. He'd run out of battery by the comfy crappers. Didn't have his charge adaptor with him to plug in anywhere. Rang his carer who refused to come and help. She met us by the campsite entrance, dropped of the adaptor and fucked off! Lovely woman. Ended up pushing him up to the platform between us. Glad to hear he got back to the campsite after the gig!

That's interesting. I have just written a letter of complaint for Mark about his carer and the poor service she provided. I will forward your comments to him as he has a meeting sometime this week.

mhibberd

Postby mhibberd » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Psalms

Thank you to both you and your wife for your help. I did get home ok in the and and Metallica were great.

As for the care situation. This is subject to a formal investigation.

I hope you don't mind, but I intend to show your statement to Bexley Social Services.

Once again, Thanks.

Mark

becci27

Postby becci27 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:59 pm

mhibberd wrote:Psalms

Thank you to both you and your wife for your help. I did get home ok in the and and Metallica were great.

I hope you don't mind, but I intend to show your statement to Bexley Social Services.

Once again, Thanks.

Mark

Go Mark...go Mark!! :lol:

psalms

Postby psalms » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:58 am

mhibberd wrote:Psalms

Once again, Thanks.

Mark

No worries dude. Metallica were awesome! Hope to see you there next year!

Psalms and Charlotte :music-rockon:
FMC codes 1k911003 / 1k911004. You know the drill....

mhibberd

Postby mhibberd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Psalm

I have every intention of being there next year, however I doubt I will be camping. I had a bad fall at the Reading Festival and have been persuaded that a local hotel might be a more sencable option.

Mark

becci27

Postby becci27 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:41 pm

mhibberd wrote:Psalm

I have every intention of being there next year, however I doubt I will be camping. I had a bad fall at the Reading Festival and have been persuaded that a local hotel might be a more sencable option.

Mark

That's not good, Mark. But at least you'll be there. And you can come and visit our tent whenever you want :D

joepescigrindcore

Postby joepescigrindcore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Hey, havent read all the posts, just the first few. I have one main question, how far where the platforms from the stage? are they like download's where there 2 weeks away from the stage? or like leeds, where they are on the side of the sound desks

some nice positive feedback in this thread. i didnt attened last year, hope the feedback in here is used.

noticed about the platforms getting full, PA/Carer's/Friends what have you, normally get asked to leave if someone who actually needs the space comes up. i understand not everyone is able to be left unattended, remember at leeds it was insane with the amount of people on the platform, but luckily everyone was pretty nice and moved/got up/stood at the back etc if needs be.

anyways hopefully meet some of you lot there in July, buy me a drink its my birthday 2 days before :mrgreen: . ill be the idiot screaming for Maiden all weekend, haha. just tell me to shut it if i get on your nerves. :confusion-helpsos:

becci27

Postby becci27 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:56 pm

joepescigrindcore wrote:Hey, havent read all the posts, just the first few. I have one main question, how far where the platforms from the stage? are they like download's where there 2 weeks away from the stage? or like leeds, where they are on the side of the sound desks

some nice positive feedback in this thread. i didnt attened last year, hope the feedback in here is used.

noticed about the platforms getting full, PA/Carer's/Friends what have you, normally get asked to leave if someone who actually needs the space comes up. i understand not everyone is able to be left unattended, remember at leeds it was insane with the amount of people on the platform, but luckily everyone was pretty nice and moved/got up/stood at the back etc if needs be.

anyways hopefully meet some of you lot there in July, buy me a drink its my birthday 2 days before :mrgreen: . ill be the idiot screaming for Maiden all weekend, haha. just tell me to shut it if i get on your nerves. :confusion-helpsos:

You'll love it :D We had such a good time last year. Look out for the Pirate flag and Ozzy head on a stick in the campsite and come and say hello. You may be lucky enough to join us in the Disabled Camp Rebellion 2010!! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4005

Vix

Postby Vix » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Focus Group Agenda 2010

Postby Vix » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:44 am
Disabled Customers:

Overall I think the facilities for disabled customers were good, being able to collect wristbands from the help tent in the campsite was a great help and I never really had to wait to use the toilets near the platforms. The atmosphere in the campsite was brilliant! I think theres only a couple of points that could be looked in to

The showers in the campsite were a good size but there was only two of them so there was often a long wait, not easy if you cant stand for too long. Also more lighting needed in the campsite

The walk from the campsite to the main stage was quite far and the hills made it hard going, if disabled customers were allowed to use the track that leads from the top of the disabled campsite to the VIP arena entrance it would make it so much easier. The path had the metal track which is easier to walk on and it is flatter ground so you dont have to tackle the hills. I think this would also be an advantage for wheelchair users.

The disabled platforms often got quite crowded. Also because of the position of both of them you could hear the soundcheck from one stage when a band was playing on the other, I know you have to give everyone the best view possible but any chance they could be closer to the stages?

I loved Sonisphere 09 and will be coming back for 2010. I would recommend it to other disabled people!

Return to “Sonisphere 2009 Feedback”