Glastonbury lineup announced

hybrid theorist

Glastonbury lineup announced

Postby hybrid theorist » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:51 pm

First off, that's an awful poster.

Second off, any thoughts?

I've heard rumours of Metallica being the final headliner. The fact they've not announced their final one along with the rest of the lineup sounds a bit odd, wonder if that's the issue?
:animals-cow:

ThornDavis

Re: Glastonbury lineup announced

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Terrible poster, yes. Who are the two headliners already announced? Arcade Fire I guess, but it's not clear to me who the other one is. I like the Pixies, and Robert Plant, and obviously I know what a Dolly Parton and Manic Street Preacher is, but other than that it's a fairly meaningless collection of words and letters.

For example is Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 Eats Everything one band, or three?

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Pretty sure they said the other headliner is Kasabian on the radio.

I'd love to see Massive Attack, Arcade Fire and MIA, not seen any of those before, few others I'd like to see (Pixies, Jurassic 5, MGMT, De La Soul) but not enough to make me curse not trying for a ticket.
Having said that, I said the same last year. Maybe I'll go for it next year.
:animals-cow:

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:29 pm

I saw Massive Attack at the Brixton Academy about ten years ago and they were tedious beyond measure. I cannot imagine the experience improves when you move it outdoors.

the_arsonist

Postby the_arsonist » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Poster is properly gooseberry but good initial announcement personally, 15 bands that I want to see already. Plus I'm working it so anything is a bonus, I'm sure it'll be amazing again this year, already far many more bands than I wanted to see last year!

Upcoming Gigs: Arcane Roots, Polar, Mongol Horde, Hundredth, The Bronx, Pearl Jam, Converge, Superheaven, Heights, Parkway Drive

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Glastonbury: teaching festivals how to have predictable as frakk lineups and still look great.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Telling Download how it's done?

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:00 pm

I was mostly thinking of Reading and Leeds, but sure.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:57 pm

Looks as bad as Download and Reading/Leeds
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

diggerboot

Postby diggerboot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:02 pm

Blackwater wrote:Looks as bad as Download and Reading/Leeds

Actually not quite as bad (certainly as R & L) but like so many years there's maybe three bands I'd really like to see (Pixies, Robert Plant and Mogwai) maybe six or seven I wouldnt mind seeing and the rest I couldnt give a monkeys . Plus its stretched over such a huge area that you cant even guarantee you'll be able to see the ones you want to (or at least not full sets) . Whereas Soni there's only one headliner I want to see but 20 plus sub headliner bands I want to see and will get to see cos of the rotating stages and the late sets in Bohemia and chances are I'll be able to see all of each set ...no competition :bow-yellow: :D

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:56 pm

26 year old guy has died from a Ketamine overdose at Glastonbury! Stupid druggie festival i have no sympathy.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Metallica seemed to go down quite well and they looked like they thoroughly enjoyed being there. Best headliners I've seen for some time.
I watched a bit of Arcade Fire from Friday and could not get into that at all. I don't know much of their stuff but I was still expecting a great performance from such a highly rated band. I lasted 3 songs and gave up.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:00 pm

The hippies loved it.

zebby

Postby zebby » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Yes. Yes we did.
A kid once said to me “Do you get hangovers?” I said, “To get hangovers you have to stop drinking.

Lemmy

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:27 pm

CC Deville wrote:I watched a bit of Arcade Fire from Friday and could not get into that at all. I don't know much of their stuff but I was still expecting a great performance from such a highly rated band. I lasted 3 songs and gave up.

Speaking as someone who is a bit of an Arcade Fire fanboy, it was a really good performance by them. Athough if you only lasted 3 songs, you probably missed all the "big" crowd friendly songs really. Crowd seemed dead to them, mind, which surprised me. Much quieter than the Reading crowd in 2010, for example.

I've always found them to be a band who sharply divides opinion, both live and on their albums.
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:06 pm

Epic Failure wrote:
CC Deville wrote:I watched a bit of Arcade Fire from Friday and could not get into that at all. I don't know much of their stuff but I was still expecting a great performance from such a highly rated band. I lasted 3 songs and gave up.

Speaking as someone who is a bit of an Arcade Fire fanboy, it was a really good performance by them. Athough if you only lasted 3 songs, you probably missed all the "big" crowd friendly songs really. Crowd seemed dead to them, mind, which surprised me. Much quieter than the Reading crowd in 2010, for example.

I've always found them to be a band who sharply divides opinion, both live and on their albums.

I'll probably give it another look on iplayer and will hopefully see them perform some of their 'anthems'. The crowd weren't particularly lively as you say, but that's not unusual for Glastonbury!

I thought the Black Keys were great today and as for Dolly....well what can you say. :bow-yellow:

zebby

Postby zebby » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:09 pm

Trying to watch kasabian.

Stupid flippin flags are really buggin me
A kid once said to me “Do you get hangovers?” I said, “To get hangovers you have to stop drinking.

Lemmy

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:23 am

Yeah I loved Arcade Fire' set on the tellybox, but I rate them as one of the best live acts I've ever seen, their Reflektors gig in a 1k cap venue in Glasgow last year was one of the highlights of my life, such great energy live, definitely carries over better live in person though.

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:29 am

kipper64 wrote:Yeah I loved Arcade Fire' set on the tellybox, but I rate them as one of the best live acts I've ever seen, their Reflektors gig in a 1k cap venue in Glasgow last year was one of the highlights of my life, such great energy live, definitely carries over better live in person though.

This is the first tour I've missed since before Neon Bible came out. I've either not had the money to afford it when I could get to the gig (the album launch gigs) or not had the time to do it when I've had the money (like this coming week, when they are playing as I'm setting my tent up in Soni!). Sad times.
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:49 pm

I hope Metallica are better on Sunday than they were at Glastonbury. The crowd was shite, Metallica were boring, I hope it's not going to be a repeat of 2011.
FMC Code - 1k949287

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:12 pm

I loved tallica in 2011, setlist was ace. Thought Metallica at Glasto were on good form, aye the crowd wasn't it's lively - but was far from dead too, and they sounded on good form, much better than they have in recent years, James's voice in particular. Wasn;t really looking forwards to them before - in fact was thinking of skipping them - but now I'm hyped definitely watching them at Soni next week!

Grables

Postby Grables » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:18 pm

metalicbear wrote:I hope Metallica are better on Sunday than they were at Glastonbury. The crowd was shite, Metallica were boring, I hope it's not going to be a repeat of 2011.

Metalicbear, you do talk some right bollocks sometimes.

They were only "boring" because it was a cut down set of 90 mins that only included the "hits" that we've all seen 100 times before. If you were a casual fan who had never seen them before, and were actually there I'm sure it would have been amazing. I would hardly call the crowd "shite". They were gave them an epic response and were with them 100% all the way through the set. The camera hardly looked at the crowd, and you weren't even in it. So watching it on the TV was hardly a good way to gauge it. I thought they were singing along well enough anyway. Also, musically they were proper on form that time.

Was annoyed by the lack of pyros though, wtf was up with that?

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Different reasons being speculated - though I do believe all shows they've done this tour have been laser heavy instead of pyro.

One reason is potentially due to having fans on stage - would pose a safety risk. Another being pyro is too expensive so to save money/maximise profit they've cut down on it and went for lasers instead. Could be either or both!

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:38 pm

Remember when people said that Metallica wouldn't be playing at Glastonbury and that eLOL were talking crap?

Grables

Postby Grables » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:23 pm

kipper64 wrote:Different reasons being speculated - though I do believe all shows they've done this tour have been laser heavy instead of pyro.

One reason is potentially due to having fans on stage - would pose a safety risk. Another being pyro is too expensive so to save money/maximise profit they've cut down on it and went for lasers instead. Could be either or both!

Could be that the organisers out-right said no, for whatever reason. I also found it strange that they only played for 90 mins, which is extremely rare because they always play 2 hours no matter what. So obviously they couldn't make every demand they wanted. The organisers probably said "you can play, but only under X, Y and Z conditions".

Return to “Gigs, Festivals and Other Live Stuff”