BST Hyde Park

Chr1s

BST Hyde Park

Postby Chr1s » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:08 am

Black Sabbath, Soundgarden, Faith No More and a host of other bands are playing Hyde Park on the 4th. Think I might go there instead saying as there's not too much I'm bothered about seeing at Soni on the Friday.

PurpleDemon

Re: BST Hyde Park

Postby PurpleDemon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 am

I get the feeling that Dok isn't too happy with this. Can't say I blame him.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:24 am

How much do we think this will hurt Sonisphere?

Really odd timing, two of the three biggest hard rock/metal events of the year on the same weekend? What's the logic behind that?
:animals-cow:

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:35 am

Really tempted to go to this on the friday. Absolutely nothing of interest at soni on the friday.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:10 pm

I would, but honestly Faith No More are the only band that interests me there that I haven't seen before. Not bothered about Soundgarden and I'll probably have a better time at Prodigy than I will to Sabbath.

It's good kamikaze booking, and well thought-out to try and scupper Sonisphere's recovery. If it wasn't for the Prodigy, Hounds, Anti-Flag and Electric Wizard at Sonisphere I might be tempted but yeah, no.

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:49 pm

What a gooseberry move by AEG. Cunts.

Really wanna see this line-up though, even if they are dick heads.
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

Chr1s

Postby Chr1s » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:24 pm

ANXIETY wrote:What a gooseberry move by AEG. Cunts.

Why go calling AEG dick heads and cunts?Sorry, but if Soni had got an unbeatable line up for the Friday, then I wouldn't even be considering going to BST! I have no allegiance to any promoter and will always go to gigs featuring bands I like regardless of who's putting it on. Fact is, for me, there is nothing worthwhile at Soni on the Friday. The only 2 acts (so far) that I'd be remotely interested in is Little Matador and Gary Numan. Soundgarden and FNM are 2 of my all time favourite bands and Sabbath are well worth seeing again. I'll be buying tickets. I'll still be at Sonisphere the rest of the weekend and I'm looking to having a great time, but this other gig is just too good to miss.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:33 pm

Because it looks very much like BST have not only gone out of their way to get as good a lineup as possible, but also to make sure that Sonisphere is undermined by it.

You can bet there would have been next to nothing to stop AEG putting Sabbath/FNM/Soundgarden on the 12th or 13th but nah, this is deliberately lined up to damage the return of a competing festival from a competing promoter.

Chr1s

Postby Chr1s » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:42 pm

That's fair comment :-)

Personally, I'm glad it's that day. I'm down there anyway and it gives me the opportunity to do both.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Ooft, Dok took his tweets to the official Sonisphere account. He is not happy at all, doesn't sound like any of the Soni Team feel any differently either. I really hope this doesn't become an annual thing. If this is AEG's welcome back gift to a festival they used to have a stake in then it's pretty frakking shitty.

I'm not denying that for fans able to do both, it works out well. But for Sonisphere as a festival, this is a really sucky move, calculated to do nothing else but damage Sonisphere.

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Chr1s wrote:
ANXIETY wrote:What a gooseberry move by AEG. Cunts.

Why go calling AEG dick heads and cunts?Sorry, but if Soni had got an unbeatable line up for the Friday, then I wouldn't even be considering going to BST! I have no allegiance to any promoter and will always go to gigs featuring bands I like regardless of who's putting it on. Fact is, for me, there is nothing worthwhile at Soni on the Friday. The only 2 acts (so far) that I'd be remotely interested in is Little Matador and Gary Numan. Soundgarden and FNM are 2 of my all time favourite bands and Sabbath are well worth seeing again. I'll be buying tickets. I'll still be at Sonisphere the rest of the weekend and I'm looking to having a great time, but this other gig is just too good to miss.

Because there is just no need. It's not even like it's just a good line-up, it's too good. They don't even need FNM there and they could probably sell it out. The fact it's on the day of Sonisphere "Non-metal" day too will probably draw a lot of people away from the festival as a weekend, or people may just not go Sonisphere at all and just stick to that.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:44 pm

It is a total arsebiscuit move and it's the punters who are going to miss out by having to choose one or the other. Hopefully Faith No More do their own dates around then elsewhere in the UK.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:57 pm

A real dick move, but most of the undercard will probably end up at Sonisphere, still room for Soulfly and Wolfmother as well. I might be in a minority, but I really don't see the appeal of this.
FMC Code - 1k949287

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:19 pm

The appeal for me is purely Faith No More, because they are the best live band around...but I'm going to have to miss them. I just can't see any logic in this other than a deliberate move to harm Sonisphere. They've shot themselves in the foot by announcing it this late and on the same date as soni which a lot of potential customers will have already committed too, but clearly they have the money to burn (going by the line ups from this year and last seeing as they bagged the rolling stones for 2 dates last year) so almost seems like they're doing it to spite Sonisphere.

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:42 pm

metalicbear wrote:A real dick move, but most of the undercard will probably end up at Sonisphere, still room for Soulfly and Wolfmother as well. I might be in a minority, but I really don't see the appeal of this.

Very much are, there is something there for most. Sabbath being Sabbath, Soundgarden being Soundgarden, FNM playing possibly too low (Would argue they are a bigger draw than Soundgarden after their recent tour and such) Motorhead in possibly one of their last shows (Although they may not even play it)

Am hoping for Soulfly and Wolfmother though, that would heal the wound a tad.

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:35 pm

sort of explains why sabbath or soundgarden arent at sonisphere when theyw ere the strongest rumours last year

also the week before is aerosmith at clapham common and the week after pearl jam at milton keynes , call me a cynic but what chance they (aeg) have done a deal with live nation to try and get rid of sonisphere
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

LEMON_WOLF

Postby LEMON_WOLF » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm happy by this, ok it's not ideal date wise but the lineup is so good I don't really care. I don't even have to hesitate about missing the Friday of Soni and doing this instead. I'm not annoyed with AEG either, they've put together something truly special instead of booking the same predictable headliners like Soni have.

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:00 pm

billytheweed wrote:sort of explains why sabbath or soundgarden arent at sonisphere when theyw ere the strongest rumours last year

also the week before is aerosmith at clapham common and the week after pearl jam at milton keynes , call me a cynic but what chance they (aeg) have done a deal with live nation to try and get rid of sonisphere

You're a cynic.

Chr1s

Postby Chr1s » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:02 pm

LEMON_WOLF wrote:I'm happy by this, ok it's not ideal date wise but the lineup is so good I don't really care. I don't even have to hesitate about missing the Friday of Soni and doing this instead. I'm not annoyed with AEG either, they've put together something truly special instead of booking the same predictable headliners like Soni have.

Glad it's not just me that's happy about this!

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:05 pm

LEMON_WOLF wrote:I'm happy by this, ok it's not ideal date wise but the lineup is so good I don't really care. I don't even have to hesitate about missing the Friday of Soni and doing this instead. I'm not annoyed with AEG either, they've put together something truly special instead of booking the same predictable headliners like Soni have.

Black Sabbath done Download 2012, and an arena tour 2013. Soundgarden done DL 2012, a tour 2013 and Hyde Park in 2012. Faith No More done Reading 2009, Download 2009, a tour in 2009, were booked for Soni 2012 and done some tour dates 2012. Motorhead are the most overbooked band ever, Soulfly have done loads of festivals etc...

It's a superb line up,absolutely phenomenal and easily the strongest day at a festival - if you can call it a festival - this summer, but the bands haven't exactly been absent from the UK recently. I'm not mad at them for booking a great line up, I'm mad they've clashed it with another event seemingly on purpose which could have been avoided so I could do both.

Hart Attack

Postby Hart Attack » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:29 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:Ooft, Dok took his tweets to the official Sonisphere account. He is not happy at all, doesn't sound like any of the Soni Team feel any differently either. I really hope this doesn't become an annual thing. If this is AEG's welcome back gift to a festival they used to have a stake in then it's pretty frakking shitty.

I'm not denying that for fans able to do both, it works out well. But for Sonisphere as a festival, this is a really sucky move, calculated to do nothing else but damage Sonisphere.

Didn't Sonisphere offer free tickets for another European festival that just happened to be on the same weekend as Download a few years ago? Seems like karma's just come back to bite them, to be fair.

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 pm

Doesn't really appeal to me as Sabbath aren't that great live anyway. I'd probably watch Soulfly although they are no doubt doing Soni as well! but yeah i'd rather watch Prodigy, Limp Bizkit, Electric Wizard, Gary Numan, The Defiled and 65daysofstatic.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:32 pm

In 2011 Live Nation scheduled Iron Maiden's most extensive UK tour for more than 20 years over the weekend that we all expected Sonisphere to be occurring on. Sonisphere was then announced for an earlier date in July.

I don't think this announcement will have too much of an impact of Sonisphere ticket sales. After all, it's Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden AND Metallica. Sonisphere had more quality and quantity so this could backfire on AEG. The Friday of BST also has Motorhead so I can't say I'm disappointed that they won't be at Sonisphere. Wouldn't have minded seeing Soulfly again. Still, Black Sabbath obviously were available for this summer so I wonder if Sonisphere did try to book them after all and get the holy trinity of Metal to headline to comeback event on the 40th anniversary of Knebworth. Perhaps BST is the reason we're stuck with The Prodigy.

I'm gutted to be missing the Friday of BST though: McBusted and Backstreet Boys. :(

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:34 pm

Black Wizard wrote:In 2011 Live Nation scheduled Iron Maiden's most extensive UK tour for more than 20 years over the weekend that we all expected Sonisphere to be occurring on. Sonisphere was then announced for an earlier date in July.

It was always going to be in July to coincide with it moving to July in 2012 for the Olympics.

Xale

Postby Xale » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Not much for me there, pretty much just Faith No More. But it's unfortunate for anyone who wants to go to Sonisphere and BST. Or people who already have weekend tickets to Sonisphere and want to go.
However, I don't think Sonisphere should be too worried about it. The lineups been up for a while now so they've probably sold the majority of tickets anyway.

Return to “Gigs, Festivals and Other Live Stuff”