ANXIETY

Re: Alt festival

Postby ANXIETY » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:41 am

Everyone else's fault except theirs. frakk 'em
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:07 am

metalicbear wrote:Perhaps the people who would go to see them at a gig wouldn't go to a 3 day festival, but they could still have bought day tickets and seen some of the 60-odd bands on that day as well as the headliners, and bring their kids along for free too – we are still trying to understand why we haven't sold more tickets despite the offering & energy that has gone into it.

I think this statement is the biggest kick in the teeth to the public, basically blaming them for not buying tickets.

That part of the statement was the highlight for me, I mean seriously guys they put a lot of hard work into the fest and you didn't even buy a ticket... so rude!

I am a big Manson and Cradle fan but out of the two of them I can only imagine Manson being able to sell a 5,000 capacity venue consistently, and even he is on the wain from the mechanical animals era when he was massive. When cradle played Preston last they played to about a 200 capacity room at the union which does have a much bigger room downstairs.

They were dreaming from day one, ad are now just throwing out excuses, I noticed there was no comment about those who did kickstarter the event.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

houston404

Postby houston404 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:28 pm

I got to admit with the line up it had I did expect it to shift more tickets than it did, but that's what poor promotion and a lack of a reputation can do for you.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:44 pm

I dunno, I wouldn't say it reached further than say a festival like Bloodstock would in terms of pull, and with not being an established name I'd say 7.5k is respectable, I mean look at the names involved in the first sonisphere and that only pulled in 25-30k people from what I remember. Bloodstock is pretty well established now as a small festival and gets a few decent sized names and only pulls in like 13k? which is not far past Alt-Fest's breakeven point for the scale of even they were trying to put on. Scaled down and properly marketed to their target audience which wouldn't even require as many big names probably could have matched sales near enough at a smaller scaled event they could have built on that going forwards.

Even then though I felt they'd always struggle to reach the level they wanted. Sonisphere hasn't had an easy ride and it's a much bigger operation in scope and those involved, I think for Alt-fest to grow beyond 10k they'd need to branch out and would just step on the toes of soni/download who would easily beat them. Where would you go from Manson to be bigger/better? Only acts I could think of who could fit would be Depeche Mode, NIN, The Cure or maybe Rammstein and certainly none of those would ever play it unless it had got to the 50k mark they had as a total capacity. The usual smaller industrial names could have kept them going year in and year out at a more niche event aimed at less than 10k, but they'd hit the ceiling with that and trying to do anything bigger was always going to backfire.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:41 am

There's no shame in having a small festival and had they done that and grown slowly, they would still be around and actually have a positive reputation, unfortunately, they seemed to have got greedy and wanted to compete with the bigger festivals, but didn't have the resources, man power, connections and general knowledge of festivals to be able to do so. Simply put, they ran before they could even walk.
FMC Code - 1k949287

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:45 am

I can't say I'm surprised. I don't live too far from the site (about 40 mins) and was thinking of buying tickets until they sold out of the early bird level 2. After that I didn't think it was particularly good value.
If tickets were cheaper, I'm pretty sure they'd have shifted a lot more. Same could be said for some other UK festivals this year that didn't do so well in terms of ticket sales...
Also I saw absolutely nothing in terms of advertising anywhere near my area and that includes Cambridge.
If they turned down sponsorship from a big drinks co like Carlsberg then at least that's one less festival where people aren't offered only crappy beer at extortionate prices.
I know you don't have to drink it but it's now got to the point where I just hate the site of the stuff.

MetalMan

Postby MetalMan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 pm

To be perfectly honest, I think their promotion was absolutely gooseberry. I only found out about the festival in the first place on this forum, and I only live literally 5-10 minutes away. Though the music wasn't to my personal taste, I think they had a fairly good lineup, but they needed to promote much better than they did.

Return to “Gigs, Festivals and Other Live Stuff”