To Hexistove or not to hexistove

Sonisphere Festival drink and food sub forum
owl79

To Hexistove or not to hexistove

Postby owl79 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Okey Dokey.. thought i'd ask everyones opinion on the hexistove. Some people like them, some don't. I literally did a tester 15 mins ago with mine ( purely because i have never used them before) and used one hexi block and boiled enough water for 4 coffees and am currently drinking said coffee :) So peoples of the boards whats the verdict on the ole hexistove :?: :?: :?:

SONI 10',
SONI 11',
INCUBUS NOV 11',
DL 12',
FOB 14'
SONI 14'

Bill736

Re: To Hexistove or not to hexistove

Postby Bill736 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Personally not a fan,

I took one to download fest in 08, used all the blocks trying to boil a kettle and it didnt boil!

In the end had to get the gas out.

RAF Rozzer

Postby RAF Rozzer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:02 am

There are pros and cons to hexi stoves.

If you get them right, they're aces and will cook your stuff nice and quickly too.

Top tips:

Don't use too many blocks. No point in throwing in 5 blocks to boil your water or cook your scoff. You need sustained heat over a longer period. As one block starts to burn out, throw the next one in.

Try to protect it from wind. The stuff your trying to cook will take a damn site longer if the heat you're trying to direct upwards is blown sideways towards your legs/the great outdoors. Use anything to shield it. You can sit with your back to the wind and use your body, or try sitting your stove in a metal biscuit tin. The tin can be used to transport your stove and blocks, as well as any dried packs of food you've brought, such as packets of noodles or flavoured rice. Both are cheap and easy to cook on a hexi stove.

Lighting those white blocks of heat-promising goodness can be a chore if you're just using matches or a standard gas lighter. If you're using the good old-fashioned British military type blocks, the box the blocks come in is fab ignition material. The blocks will 'sweat' into the cardboard and deposit some of the fuel into it. Light a strip of cardboard and use this as a type of taper to light the block. Failing that, go to your local camping shop or army surplus store and buy windproof matches. Don't light a match and throw it on top. Hold the block by one corner and use the match to light another.

It all sounds a bit 'Mickey Mouse' but some simple tips make using one easier than wrestling with a sackful of BBQs.
If you think you can prevent it by burying your head under a blanket of shit, fine. - Sean Connery, Meteor, 1979.

snoopy

Postby snoopy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:50 am

No experience with them going to try and find one this weekend and try it out. Think I read on the Download forum that it was a good idea to put them in a Christmas choccy tin to act as a kind of wind break so will try that too.

I know that we have to use BBQ's at cooking points but what about hexi stoves outside tents? When we get back to camp each night will we be able to make a cup of tea by our tent or will we have to trek off to a cooking point in the dark?

cocainehero88

Postby cocainehero88 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:10 am

A cheeseburger will cost around £4.50 (rough estimate) and if you eat 3 of these a day for 4 days (early entry) its going to cost about £54.

I bought a hexi stove for £4, and i'll be buying alot of asda smartprice tinned hotdogs and burgers in brine, tinned all day breakfasts and tinned spaghetti hoops. (make sure you buy tins with ring-pulls!)

The money I save will buy me my booze for the weekend :D
Upcoming Joy:
June 1st - End of BSc Biomedical Science year 2 :D
June 14th - Clutch - Pontypridd now, because Millenium Music Hall are rubbish!!!
June 16th-18th - Beer and Cider Festival - Cardiff
July 7th-10th - Sonisphere 2011

haddy

Postby haddy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:14 am

used hexi stoves last year and they were perfect for cooking and making drinks. didnt have any problem with them atall, i would recomend them.
:)

Please use my friends FMC code: 1k910041

....you know you want to :)

DIO

Postby DIO » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:46 pm

They're great for a proper cup of tea or coffee in the morning, compared to the warmed up water they sell for £2.50+ at Sonisphere :roll:

Hexi's are sometimes unreliable though, but worth using to be honest and they save you money. TInned hotdogs and pot noodles ftw <3

owl79

Postby owl79 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Have to admit after last year i had no problems .was brill for the morning coffee .

SONI 10',
SONI 11',
INCUBUS NOV 11',
DL 12',
FOB 14'
SONI 14'

MetalMamma

Postby MetalMamma » Mon May 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Ooh was just wondering this myself- great tip about the biccy tins too!!

Now to decide what food to actually take to cook on said stove....decisions decisions...
I love Metal. And I'm a Mamma.
Image Image

http://www.facebook.com/stacey.mizen

JAMEZ!

Postby JAMEZ! » Mon May 02, 2011 5:16 pm

tbh, for the last 2 years, me n my friends have just used disposable BBQs. U can cook just about anything on em and theres less to carry home. Never used hexi-stoves, but we've been fine with BBQs.

MetalMamma

Postby MetalMamma » Wed May 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Think I'm set now on getting me a Hexistove (disposable BBQs are too bulky for my liking).

Only question is- what actual cooking equipment would people recommend?? I.e. pots/pans/utensils etc? I have literally nothing of the camping variety but don't want to buy a load of gumpf I won't need!

Cheers :)
Image Image

spirit666

Postby spirit666 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:47 pm

MetalMamma wrote:Think I'm set now on getting me a Hexistove (disposable BBQs are too bulky for my liking).

Only question is- what actual cooking equipment would people recommend?? I.e. pots/pans/utensils etc? I have literally nothing of the camping variety but don't want to buy a load of gumpf I won't need!

Cheers :)

If you go to the pound shop you could buy a couple of the enamel bowls to cook on try it out befor eyou go and you will no if it all goes up in smoke or its cool to cook with. If not you can buy pots for about £10/£20 that come with a kettle and frying pan in a wee bundle not heavy either :)

RAF Rozzer

Postby RAF Rozzer » Thu May 05, 2011 2:12 am

Go to your local camping shop and get some mess tins. Some pound shops have them in:

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/aluminiu ... p-633.html

Use the small one on the stove to heat food/water and use the top one as a lid to keep the heat in. If you've brought ration packs, heat the pack in the water, then use the hot water to make your brew when your food is heated. It will help on the washing up as all you have in contact with the tin is hot water. To clean the bottom, pour a little water on the grass and scrub the bottom of the tin on the damp foliage.

Top storage tip; the space inside your mess tins will be enough to keep your hexi stove.
If you think you can prevent it by burying your head under a blanket of shit, fine. - Sean Connery, Meteor, 1979.

MetalMamma

Postby MetalMamma » Thu May 05, 2011 8:13 am

Excellent ideas there- thanks very much :bow-yellow:
Image Image

keef

Postby keef » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Got myself a solid fuel buring Kelly Kettle as attempting to feed two adults and a child!

http://www.kellykettle.com/

propophlex

Postby propophlex » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:43 pm

To hexistove! I took a Trangia to Download this year but ended up getting no use out of it because my friend took a hexi stove. Compact, boiled up water in 5 mins and provided me with a nice saucepan full of spaghetti and sausages every day. Yummy.

TheMetalMan0

Postby TheMetalMan0 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 am

Any recommendations on brand? Army issue (eBay)? One from Millets? Or are they all the same anyway?

the_bullgod_

Postby the_bullgod_ » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:46 am

I got a couple off ebay last year and they did for the 3 days we were there but got all bent out of shape from the heat!
Bought a new one from Millets last week and it seems much higher grade and a bit sturdier.
Would recommend buying the blocks off ebay though as the military purple ones are much better than the small round ones from the camping shops.

RAF Rozzer

Postby RAF Rozzer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:03 am

TheMetalMan0 wrote:Any recommendations on brand? Army issue (eBay)? One from Millets? Or are they all the same anyway?

Get the military ones. They're bigger and the box can be ripped to make tapers to light the blocks easily as the fuel leaches into the cardboard.

Anyone I know who has used the circular, commerical ones have always said they'll go back to the military use ones in future as they're better.

TheMetalMan0

Postby TheMetalMan0 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:29 am

Cheers guys. Ordered some from eBay yesterday so should be here well in time. Can't go wrong for about £4 each!

MetalMamma

Postby MetalMamma » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:00 am

Despite the general feeling that military are better, just to let anyone interested know that it would seem Millets have Eurohike solid fuel stoves including blocks on sale- usually £4.99, I got one for £2 yesterday.

Good if you're saving the pennies!!
Image Image

TheMetalMan0

Postby TheMetalMan0 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:58 am

MetalMamma wrote:Despite the general feeling that military are better, just to let anyone interested know that it would seem Millets have Eurohike solid fuel stoves including blocks on sale- usually £4.99, I got one for £2 yesterday.

That sounds like a bit of a bargain even if it's just for the fuel! I take it this was in store?

tootsmcfruits

Postby tootsmcfruits » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:09 pm

I dunno if you guys have Tiso down south but they're selling 8 tablets for £3 there too... just in case you need them! :)
Is it nearly time yet...?!

Mizen79

Postby Mizen79 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:25 pm

TheMetalMan0 wrote:
MetalMamma wrote:Despite the general feeling that military are better, just to let anyone interested know that it would seem Millets have Eurohike solid fuel stoves including blocks on sale- usually £4.99, I got one for £2 yesterday.

That sounds like a bit of a bargain even if it's just for the fuel! I take it this was in store?

Yep it was in store! ( I am MetalMamma's husband lol)

kazz

Postby kazz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 pm

might go and stockpile these if they are cheap.

will be good for download and soni 2012.

:D
roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

Return to “Drink & Food”