Vegetarian Festival-goers

Sonisphere Festival drink and food sub forum
ever

Re: Vegetarian Festival-goers

Postby ever » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi,

A warning if you are going to try the veg burgers at Soni or any festival: the mico-protein or soya/wheat protein stuff is sooo dodgy if not cooked right, so I stick to actual vegetable burgers.

The large pancake stand is another option, as you can chose sweet or savoury fillings, but yeah, the baked spud and beans and loads of butter is yummy :-)

The Thai and Chinese noodles are a little hit and miss for some people, though I've never had a bad meal. But I am with those who say 'More food options plz!'

Is there a nice veggie place in the VIP section?

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:33 pm

ever wrote:

there wasn't any food stalls in vip last year other than in the bar , there will be this year but don't know if there will be any veggies ones ,

pop a post on the focus group agenda if its not already on then it can be put to the festival organisers
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

nomadc22

Postby nomadc22 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:15 pm

The noodle places were fine last year, but I took a stack of stuff in tins or dehydrated and a disposable bbq as a stove - worked a treat. Massive bag of peanuts for energy and simple eating. There's always the pizza place, and as someone mentioned, Tescos just down the road if you really want to leave the site. I only ate in the arena when I got the munchies, but there was plenty of stuff available. Decent coffee was another issue, though - only one stand was doing real coffee, and I cannot stomach fake stuff.

As to the whole cups thing - I collected around £60 worth of cups just from going round or on my way between stages, but not actively hunting for them. Got to the point where I was missed at the trade-in stand if I didn't appear every few hours. Paid for the beer in the arena. Some of the kids were going round really aggressively grabbing them, which was just stoopid. Most people were happy to hand them over, but there's always thousands on the floor.
Sonisphere is the most magical time of the year! There will be beer, excellent sounds, and happiness all round :music-deathmetal: Share the magic! 1k912130

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Are the veggie places any more extortionately priced than the other places? can't say I ever noticed
:animals-cow:

Nny

Postby Nny » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 pm

ever wrote:Hi,

A warning if you are going to try the veg burgers at Soni or any festival: the mico-protein or soya/wheat protein stuff is sooo dodgy if not cooked right, so I stick to actual vegetable burgers.

The large pancake stand is another option, as you can chose sweet or savoury fillings, but yeah, the baked spud and beans and loads of butter is yummy :-)

The Thai and Chinese noodles are a little hit and miss for some people, though I've never had a bad meal. But I am with those who say 'More food options plz!'

To be honest, if I'm eating out I always go for specifically vegetable or bean burgers over what they call "veggie" burgers, just from some horrible experiences where it looked so much like meat I panicked and made everyone try some, and then when I actually ate it I wished it WAS meat so I could have sent it back, it was that nasty.

Giv1888

Postby Giv1888 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:09 am

Well this is good news there seems to be a few options of Vegetarians then. I'm not a veggie personally but my Girlfriend is so that should keep her sweet :)

Chipknot

Postby Chipknot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:40 am

You could always bring a cool box filled with vegitarian snacks.

Tazmanian

Postby Tazmanian » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Nny wrote:To be honest, if I'm eating out.

Haha sorry I had to laugh
Camp Loner baby :)
First timer ;)
Rammstein's Pussy. (Will include a graphic signature soon)

CharlotteTheHarlot!

Postby CharlotteTheHarlot! » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Nny wrote:I post this hesitantly as I remember how much abuse I got on the Download forums for admitting that I'm vegetarian...but is anyone else here?

I just find it useful to share tips on how to survive as a vegetarian at festivals - you can't have a BBQ and from my experience the very few veggie food stalls are ridiculously overpriced. Any helpful advice?

*sits and waits for the pictures of burgers and innuendos*

I've never been to Sonisphere before, only Download so I don't know anything about the stalls there, however as a vegetarian I have a few recommendations... ASDA do veggie sausages and beans in a can which is dirt cheap and ideal for breakfast, bucket loads of crisps are good throughout the day for a quick energy fix, Ryvita/crackers and marmite is also good for a hunger craving, cold Pop Tarts are fantastic if you need a sugar rush & they're quite filling too, peanuts are really good also and because they're so addictive you'll eat so many that you'll be stuffed in no time haha! As for BBQ's I find that ASDA's own veggie beef burgers cook the best and they taste GORGEOUS!
I hope this has been of some use to you! :)
Iron Maiden, Papa Roach, Placebo, Motley Crue, Rammstein. <3

scarlet-r

Postby scarlet-r » Fri May 21, 2010 10:17 pm

hey, i'm also vegetarian, and i'm taking ration packs to both sonisphere and download. you have to pay a little extra for veggie ones, but they pretty good and compact to carry, and probably cheaper than buying food.
i got mine from shop on the far side (google it)
if you hover your mouse over 'ration packs' on the left, then click 'build your own'. you can add stuff. i added breakfasts, a few main meals and windproof matches. along with that i'm taking 7p noodles (from sainsbury's), some biscuits and some crisps. all in all it's cost me about £40 for two entire weekends of festival veggie food =)

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sat May 29, 2010 4:02 pm

Nny wrote:I post this hesitantly as I remember how much abuse I got on the Download forums for admitting that I'm vegetarian...but is anyone else here?

I just find it useful to share tips on how to survive as a vegetarian at festivals - you can't have a BBQ and from my experience the very few veggie food stalls are ridiculously overpriced. Any helpful advice?

There's abslutely nothing wrong with being a vegetarian - I've been one my whole life and never eaten meat. It was never my choice to become a vegetarian as I was brought up by vegetarian parents (I think my mum instructed my dad to be a vegetarian). After twenty years of being a vegetarian 've never felt the need to eat meat and I don't see myself ever changing. After all, if it ain't broke, why fix it? When people find out that I'm a vegetarian they tend to be shocked, one of my friends winds me up about it but he has a pathetic aversion to onions. I've only ever met two other guys who are vegerarian and my reaction if a bit like the Only Gay in the Village. :lol:

I find it quite difficult to find vegetarian food when I'm eating out: most pubs are not-vegetarian friendly but places like Yates and Wetherspoonshave a good selection. At Download I didn't see any vegetarian stalls but I managed to find some decent food from baguette wagons and crap food like ice cream and doghnuts. I took mini-cereal boxes with me to eat in the morning at at night which served me pretty well. My dietary strategy was plenty of carbohydrates but not too much food to limit visits to the toilet (I only had one number 2 the whole weekend).

cocainehero88

Postby cocainehero88 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:33 pm

My missus is a vegetarian (she cheats by eating fish though haha) it'll be well handy if there's a vegie stall there, it'll save me having to cook vegie burgers on the BBQ before "contaminating" it with my meat haha.
Upcoming Joy:
June 1st - End of BSc Biomedical Science year 2 :D
June 14th - Clutch - Pontypridd now, because Millenium Music Hall are rubbish!!!
June 16th-18th - Beer and Cider Festival - Cardiff
July 7th-10th - Sonisphere 2011

Noize

Postby Noize » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm veggie too, and find it hard to eat at fests. Its normally wayyy over priced :text-givemebeer:

RAF Rozzer

Postby RAF Rozzer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:15 am

Usually, I'll happily chow down on any animal that happens across my dinner plate.

But having been to a few festivals, I've always found veggie options better value for money. They might cost a bit more, but you usually get a massive plateful and you never need worry about catching something from undercooked meat, which will give you the squits more often than raw veg. Who's ever caught amoebic dysentery from eating a carrot?

As an aside, always pack anti-diarrhoea tablets. Will save hours of crying to your mummy in a festival toilet. Not a happy place to be. :confusion-helpsos:
If you think you can prevent it by burying your head under a blanket of shit, fine. - Sean Connery, Meteor, 1979.

Piestar

Postby Piestar » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:07 pm

You can get vegan cheeseburgers at the festival, they look a bit like this-

Cherry Bomb

Postby Cherry Bomb » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm vegan, veggies have it easy, trust me, but its a festival like, food isnt important, bring some crips most of them are veggie no? and when in doubt theres always chips:) But really i found I hardly ate at download so I'm sure most of yous will hardly find the time to eat:) just fill yourself up with liquids;)
Lush Slang
Noun
1. a heavy drinker, esp an alcoholic

vb
1. to drink (alcohol) to excess

Noize

Postby Noize » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Vegans suck... :P veggies are better.. :P

Cherry Bomb

Postby Cherry Bomb » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Vegetarianism. For people who're too lazy to be vegan.
Lush Slang
Noun

vb

Cherry Bomb

Postby Cherry Bomb » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Also. No you may not touch my hair. i couldn't find the reply button in the message bit:/
Lush Slang
Noun

vb

Noize

Postby Noize » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:35 am

Haha alrighty :text-givemebeer:

BlackGarden

Postby BlackGarden » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:58 pm

Last year I took vegetarian ration packs and crisps and stuff, convinced there wouldn't be enough places I could eat... well I was wrong. I barely touched the stuff I brought with me, to be honest.

I had baked bean and cheese toasties from the various toastie stands that were almost everywhere. And there was a vegetarian food stand in the arena that had vegetarian and vegan food, including Quorn bacon rolls and stuff for breakfast. Then there was the Domino's Pizza van, got a plain pizza from there one day.

Vegetarians, you won't have problems... vegans... bring crisps!

JamBluesSorcha

Postby JamBluesSorcha » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:55 pm

cocainehero88 wrote:My missus is a vegetarian (she cheats by eating fish though haha) it'll be well handy if there's a vegie stall there, it'll save me having to cook vegie burgers on the BBQ before "contaminating" it with my meat haha.

Why doesnt she just buy fish and chips then? She cant call herself a vegetarian if she eats fish btw lol she just doesnt eat meat.

Im vegetarian and il be bringin a stack of crisps over with me.. wont have to worry too much over there then.. not that i would be poncin over food when theres too much drinkin to be had 8-)

Noize

Postby Noize » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:22 am

I'm veggie too, so I'll be buying a crap load of Quorn ready to eat snacks

Jane200

Postby Jane200 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Usually, I'll happily chow down on any animal that happens across my dinner plate.

But having been to a few festivals, I've always found veggie options better value for money. They might cost a bit more, but you usually get a massive plateful and you never need worry about catching something from undercooked meat, which will give you the squits more often than raw veg. Who's ever caught amoebic dysentery from eating a carrot?

Totally agree. Big fry-ups with good quality veggie sausages at Glastonbury, no bacon but extra beans and hash browns. And the vegetarian roast, a wegde of mushroom (which I usually don't like), pine nuts and herbs wrapped up in flaky pastry... I never knew vegetables could be made to taste so good!!

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:18 pm

I had quite a lot of ice cream at Download.

Return to “Drink & Food”