Vegetarian Festival-goers

Sonisphere Festival drink and food sub forum
Nny

Vegetarian Festival-goers

Postby Nny » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:26 pm

I post this hesitantly as I remember how much abuse I got on the Download forums for admitting that I'm vegetarian...but is anyone else here?

I just find it useful to share tips on how to survive as a vegetarian at festivals - you can't have a BBQ and from my experience the very few veggie food stalls are ridiculously overpriced. Any helpful advice?

*sits and waits for the pictures of burgers and innuendos*

x-tempus

Re: Vegetarian Festival-goers

Postby x-tempus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Nny wrote:I post this hesitantly as I remember how much abuse I got on the Download forums for admitting that I'm vegetarian...but is anyone else here?

I just find it useful to share tips on how to survive as a vegetarian at festivals - you can't have a BBQ and from my experience the very few veggie food stalls are ridiculously overpriced. Any helpful advice?

*sits and waits for the pictures of burgers and innuendos*

innuendos a plenty I'm afraid.....

I'm vege 8-) Tesco is about a 15min walk away - they sell veggie food, just buy that - can BBQ vege-burgers :)
hybrid theorist wrote:it's rare for an indecent exposure record to say "barely worth the effort", but you've always been a trend setter ;)

http://www.justgiving.com/x-tempus< please read, all donations will be appreciated

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:35 pm

We had a vegan in our camp last year (okay she didn't want to be vegan, she just couldn't eat a lot of food)

Sonisphere does hold a lot of food stalls that provide Vegetarian foods
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

OneZeroOneUK

Postby OneZeroOneUK » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Moving this to info > food

Nowt wrong with veggies, even if you are a bunch of vitamin B lacking, weak-knee'd pussies. I say that, of course, with love. :romance-inlove:

Nny

Postby Nny » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Not too bad then. Glastonbury is obviously GREAT for veggie food, but Download's never been that good - the occasional falafel place but really expensive.
At festivals I tend to just live off cereal bars and crisps. Stuff I can bring with me and carry around. But I don't want to do that this year...

Ah okay, wasn't sure where it should go ^^

And hey, I'm only lacking in iron!

OneZeroOneUK

Postby OneZeroOneUK » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Eat more spinach or meat...

I'm not sure much can be done about the price - Kili doesn't set it. There were things like toastie bars in the arena, but they're more snacks than anything else. Other than that, all I can suggest is that you do as X-tempus says and buy your stuff in advance cook your veggie burgers, etc, on a separate bbq...

Nny

Postby Nny » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Yeah I may do veggie burgers and that this year...are disposable BBQs allowed on site though?

Luckily I don't need to eat much, so at Glastonbury I could survive off a square pie and a cheese toastie in one day. Maybe a packet of crisps if I got the munchies ^^

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:56 pm

Nny wrote:Yeah I may do veggie burgers and that this year...are disposable BBQs allowed on site though?

Luckily I don't need to eat much, so at Glastonbury I could survive off a square pie and a cheese toastie in one day. Maybe a packet of crisps if I got the munchies ^^

yeah disposable bbq's are allowed in fact they encourage them ,
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

x-tempus

Postby x-tempus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:56 pm

Nny wrote:Yeah I may do veggie burgers and that this year...are disposable BBQs allowed on site though?

^^

yer they are....

make very good portable fires - as we found out on the monday morning :P
hybrid theorist wrote:it's rare for an indecent exposure record to say "barely worth the effort", but you've always been a trend setter ;)

http://www.justgiving.com/x-tempus< please read, all donations will be appreciated

Nny

Postby Nny » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Haha oh dear!

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Download had the fantabulous vegeterian & vegan wagon in the campsite which sold brilliant veggie food. Dont remember there being the same stand at sonis but thats probably cause it was first year. the same van is usually at all the irish festivals so fingers crossed they make sonis cause they have the best veggie burgers ever! Sonis had crepes, dominos pizza, chinese & a load of snacky places. I am the wrolds worst eater & bad vegetarian in that i dont eat meat, am allergic to potatoes and dont eat onions or garlic but i managed to survive 3 festivals eating properly this year cause there were loads of options. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have to say that options have drastically improved since i first started going to festivals and having to ask for cheese burgers without the burger :)

If you really want to keep it cheap i recommend tins of spaghetti hoops with the ring pulls, quorn fake meat slices & cheese sandwichs and also you could cook up a big pasta salad and bring it in a cooler bag!
My FMC Number:1k992916 DO NOT miss Sonisphere 2014- be there..be part of the magic!!!

ImageImage

lissa

Postby lissa » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:39 pm

I couldn't ever be vegetarian, I love meat too much and can't live without it!

Sorry, that aside, I remember there being quite a few veggie options at Soni last year. A friend I was with was veggie and she ate from loads of the food vans. I can only remember pizza, falafel and noodles off the top of my head though. But I don't think you'd have too much of a problem finding stuff. Pricewise I think it's in line with the non veggie options, or perhaps a touch cheaper maybe.

She also brought a load of food with her, cooked some lovely kebabs on a disposable BBQ.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:41 pm

lissa wrote:I love meat too much

Where's Hysteria when you need him?
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

PaganWolf

Postby PaganWolf » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:50 pm

The Thai places last year did Vege options.
Please use my FMC code. 1k910316
Lucky enough to be 1 of 83. Join us this year!
www.severedfifth.com

Hysteria

Postby Hysteria » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:27 am

mrpaul wrote:
lissa wrote:I love meat too much

Where's Hysteria when you need him?

I'm right here baby
I saw that and though

"dear lord, if no-one's picked that up..."
but you did. good child.

lissa wrote:I love meat too much and can't live without it!

I'm foaming at the mouth and balls after that comment.

besides Paul, call me Kial. I think you've earned the right to be on first name basis with a star like me...

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:11 am

My mate got on fine last year, he brought a load of veggie burgers for the first day, and then survived on bread, crisps and brought jacket potatoes and stuff for Saturday and Sunday.
Buying tickets for Sonisphere? Use my FMC code when buying your ticket for Sonisphere 2010.. there might be a party again ;D but at worst you will be helping me out with no cost to yourself :) thank you 1K925437

Nny

Postby Nny » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Okay sounds good =) a friend of mine is going too and is also a vegetarian and I know he was worried about it.

Waddi

Postby Waddi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:39 am

Typical Sonisphere Daily diet of my veggie wife;
Breakfast - Cheese Toastie (I think this may have had mushroom in aswell)
Lunch - Veggie Burger or chips
Dinner - Baked/Jacket potato with cheese and beans or Cheese and Tomato Pizza

The yorkshire pud van was very good aswell, Giant Yorkshire pud, filled with Mash and beans, should have sausages in too but they had no problem leaving them out and giving her more mash and beans. But they wouldn't let me have her sausages in my pud :-x

Also quite a few stalls doing the sweet stuff - Crepes, waffles etc

Im sure there was a lot more options than this but she tends to stay away from anything that may cause extra toilet trips when at a festival i,e spicy veggie wraps.

Nny

Postby Nny » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:43 am

Aah, wise!

nashnash

Postby nashnash » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:26 pm

When I go to festivals I just take a load of crisps and bourbon creams. Maybe some bread. I try to ration it. I tend to not eat a lot at festivals at all and seem to do fine. I'm sure this won't be helpful to you though.
To avoid silly prices, collect a pile of discarded paper cups, get some money and buy food with that.

Nny

Postby Nny » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Oh do they do that at Soni as well?

x-tempus

Postby x-tempus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Nny wrote:Oh do they do that at Soni as well?

10p per cup if I remember....stacks up nicely over a whole weekend - if you don't mind missing a few bands to get more cups :)

funniest thing was some kid trying to salvage a flattened cup from the middle of a Sylosis pit :doh:

Nny

Postby Nny » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:51 pm

That's not bad value, not like it takes long to pick up cups. I've never done it before but I AM a student now so maybe it's time to start.

x-tempus

Postby x-tempus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Nny wrote:That's not bad value, not like it takes long to pick up cups. I've never done it before but I AM a student now so maybe it's time to start.

I'd rather see the bands tbh....for the sake of it all I'll just put in some overtime if I get really desperate for cash....cup collecting is BORING....go sit in Bohemia or whatnot instead of trudging around people picking up their disgarded waste :mrgreen:

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:27 pm

x-tempus wrote:
Nny wrote:That's not bad value, not like it takes long to pick up cups. I've never done it before but I AM a student now so maybe it's time to start.

I'd rather see the bands tbh....for the sake of it all I'll just put in some overtime if I get really desperate for cash....cup collecting is BORING....go sit in Bohemia or whatnot instead of trudging around people picking up their disgarded waste :mrgreen:

if you are going to collect cups dont get agresive with it there were a couple of people on the sunday asking for cups while people still had drinks in them !!!

also i met a guy who had arrived on the friday morning had no money and funded the whole weekend , food and drink from collecting cups !!1

i felt sorry for him on the sat night so bought him a pint , got to reward persistance !!!!
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

Return to “Drink & Food”