Gazebos

Sonisphere Festival camping sub forum
TimClavier

Gazebos

Postby TimClavier » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi all, my first post on the forum.

Anyone know whether gazebos will be allowed in the camping area? I've read a couple of posts for previous years saying that although they were officially banned, security didn't take them down unless they were ridiculously huge.

I'm debating bringing a small one this year but won't bother if I'm going to have to take it down as soon as I arrive....

OneZeroOneUK

Re: Gazebos

Postby OneZeroOneUK » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:08 pm

You get pepper sprayed

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:33 pm

We've got 2 Gazebos, We've got 2 Gazebos, na-naa-na-na na-naa-na-na
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

kazz

Postby kazz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Jasonisback wrote:We've got 2 Gazebos, We've got 2 Gazebos, na-naa-na-na na-naa-na-na

:lol:

oh god that brings back nightmares!!

:shock:
roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:42 pm

I know this will probably result in me being called a retard but I did search for it! Why aren't we allowed Gazebos? I mean I've been told it's a space thing but that doesn't make any sense, a group of us camping with a space in the middle for sitting together and stuff with a Gazebo = too much space so take it down. Now you have exactly the same amount of space just with less protection from rain/sun (for people like me that burn really easily :lol: )
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

TimClavier

Postby TimClavier » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:29 am

Exactly- a Gazebo doesn't take up any more space than a load of camping chairs in the middle of a tent circle.

I've just got an image of me struggling from the carpark with a heavy gazebo only to be told to take it down the minute it goes up. They had a policy at Reading a few years back where you could have Gazebos in certain campsites but not others (not that that made any sense either).

royalrattlehead

Postby royalrattlehead » Tue May 03, 2011 1:02 pm

we brought one last year and they made us take it down not an hour after putting the thing up, which in a drunk state was no easy task to achive! I'm going to be bringing another one this year regardless, but I plan to keep it on the lowest legs for a while until its got some cover from the other tents. They really are life savers if it rains though, or in a rare occasion where its too hot to sit out in the sun! Its crazy they dont allow them, makes camping just about bareable when its raining - i suppose they want you to spend less time at your campsite and more in the bars and arena though dont they. Pft :roll:

kimmy_page

Postby kimmy_page » Tue May 03, 2011 4:42 pm

From my experience, the more popular the camping gets the more there is a fight for space. Especially when folks are arriving later than the official day that the camping gates open. Agreed, if there's a large group of you a gazebo may be convenient. But it's not really essential.

Just buy one of those spiffy hats with the umbrellas attached to stay a little shaded. It may also come in handing when the beer starts flying too 8-)

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 pm

No it's not essential but that's up to the person who wants to lug on there if they want to bring it or not, I just want to know the reason it isn't allowed
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

maschera

Postby maschera » Wed May 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Mad_Capsule wrote:No it's not essential but that's up to the person who wants to lug on there if they want to bring it or not, I just want to know the reason it isn't allowed

I'm actually curious too now. They don't really get in the way more than a group of people.
Though I did see one in a tree last year o_O
I like to have a martini - two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table.
After four I'm under my host

TimClavier

Postby TimClavier » Thu May 05, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm just remembering Reading Festival a few years ago where after lugging a gazebo from the furthest car park and putting it up was promptly told by a security guard to take it down. Needless to say it went back up 10 minutes later only for security to take it down yet again!

This went on and on over the course of the weekend and evolved into a kind of drunken competition where one of us would see how quickly we could reconstruct the gazebo before angry security came running.
Last edited by TimClavier on Thu May 05, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:48 pm

It's a deterrent I'd imagine, if they didn't have the rule, everyone could end up bringing one and wasting space. No they don't take up more space than people who've made a circle of chairs or whatever, but if necessary that stuff can be moved. It's just like the don't bring a tent too big for your group rule, they aren't going to enforce it really, but it's there just in case to deter 2 people from bringing a 10 man tent for themselves.

Return to “Camping”