Premiership Football Thread

All things sportified ... football, snail racing, rugby, tennis .. hmmm short skirts :)
Matt1985

Re: Premiership Football Thread

Postby Matt1985 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:41 pm

rockgeek wrote:They would have... throughout the history of football, teams react differently depending on the amount of extra time given... especially the fans. Either way, they would have paid differently, even if it was a mis-laid pass for example.

Or a goal scored in the 91st or 92nd minute, for example?! Football, like everything else in life, is full of if's, but's and maybe's...

rockgeek wrote:Liverpool's goal was around the same time but we didn't have the cushion of bloated extra time.

I wonder if Martin O'Neill hadn't have complained, would all these Liverpool fans have started? I don't know anyone who watchedthe game (except Liverpool fans) who had a problem with the 5 minutes. A couple of Villa fans I know freely admitted that it with all the subs made and some pretty obvious time wasting, it was spot on.

rockgeek wrote:Utd were always hated... well, not the team, well, not specific players within the team but SAF is a proper cock and the business (it's not a football club) is so shameless it's sickening. Some of my favourite players were/are Man Utd players. I don't hate them as such...

Anybody who goes on about United as a business and how shameful it is just annoy me. I mean, are they supposed to not take financial advantage of their size and fanbase? "Let's not run this club AND business properly, and not make tons of money?!" I take it you prefer clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City, whose ability to spend ridiulous sums on players and wages comes not from their on-field achievements nor their business profits (like at United), but simply from hugely wealthy backers who lavish money at their little 'playthings'? United couldn't be a business if it wasn't first an excellent football club, and boo hoo if they have more money than Liverpool, it must hurt right?
Sonisphere '09 OFFICIAL HERTFORDSHIRE ALLIANCE

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Sorry, what?

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:00 pm

Matt1985 wrote:
Anybody who goes on about United as a business and how shameful it is just annoy me. I mean, are they supposed to not take financial advantage of their size and fanbase? "Let's not run this club AND business properly, and not make tons of money?!" I take it you prefer clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City, whose ability to spend ridiulous sums on players and wages comes not from their on-field achievements nor their business profits (like at United), but simply from hugely wealthy backers who lavish money at their little 'playthings'? United couldn't be a business if it wasn't first an excellent football club, and boo hoo if they have more money than Liverpool, it must hurt right?

i take it you are a united fan .... i gather this by two things your rant is about united and the other you are from hertfordshire and not manchester !!!!!! :lol:

I'm going to have a rant now ..................... here goes ..........

united is a buisness not a football club and they only have success because thery run ruffshod over all the smaller teams in the northwest.... example , my team burnley discovered a schoolboy 3 years ago , steve cotterill the then manager wanted to keep him , however after fergie had spoken personally to his parents he wanted to sign with them . burnley ended up "selling" his schoolboy contract to united so he didn't just walk away, they got a coupe of quid and steve cottrill lost his job . all because united used their size.
if he doesn't make the grade he will be disgarded like 95% of the youngsters at united, all because of the "bright lights". if he had have been good enough for united they could have let him develop at burnley and paid a greater fee for him when he made the grade . you say united don't spend money ....... errr how much did berbatov cost , and carrick and rooney and .... should i continue and the glazers are in it for the glory are they? eeerrrrrr no that would be money the REAL fans left and started their own club FC United of Manchester and they are "in" Manchester not Trafford.

united are ruining football. and that's why no one likes them except a small minority of deluded glory seekers............... rant over ..... happy easter don't eat too much chocolate :lol:
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Aren't they in tens/hundreds of millions of pounds in debt? I can't wait for the day Fergie leaves to see who will replace the rat-a-tat-tat!

Matt1985

Postby Matt1985 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:04 pm

billytheweed wrote:
i take it you are a united fan .... i gather this by two things your rant is about united and the other you are from hertfordshire and not manchester !!!!!! :lol:

Original, I've never heard this before! :clap: :roll:

billytheweed wrote:I'm going to have a rant now ..................... here goes ..........

united is a buisness not a football club and they only have success because thery run ruffshod over all the smaller teams in the northwest.... example , my team burnley discovered a schoolboy 3 years ago , steve cotterill the then manager wanted to keep him , however after fergie had spoken personally to his parents he wanted to sign with them . burnley ended up "selling" his schoolboy contract to united so he didn't just walk away, they got a coupe of quid and steve cottrill lost his job . all because united used their size.

And every other big Premiership club doesn't do this?! I won't argue that United go after young players if they think they have potential, of course they do, but every other big club who is able to does also, not just in the Premiership but all across Europe. But of course only United are in the wrong for it?!

billytheweed wrote:you say united don't spend money ....... errr how much did berbatov cost , and carrick and rooney and ....

'Errrr', no, I didn't..?! If you can show me where I did I'll be surprised?

Matt1985

Postby Matt1985 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:25 pm

billytheweed wrote:the glazers are in it for the glory are they? eeerrrrrr no that would be money

As are all the foreign owners in the Premiership, perhaps with the exception of Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour at City... And not much fans can do about the owners is there..?

billytheweed wrote:united are ruining football. and that's why no one likes them except a small minority of deluded glory seekers...

Firstly, no. I notice you failed to address the Chelsea/City hugely wealthy owner issue? By consensus among most critics who actually know the game, owners such as Abramovich and Mansour are the biggest threat to the game. Those who throw huge money at clubs and can potentially just walk away. Look at the wages Chelsea and City pay. If Abramovich and Mansour get bored and walk away, what happens to the clubs? The difference with United is because of the profits they make, they can afford to pay the wages they do, and buy the players they do. I find it laughable that you can dig at United for making profits that enable them to pay out what they do, yet not comment on the dangerous and practically irresponsible wage structures / transfer policies of the two other clubs I've mentioned??!

And secondly, lifelong fans who know what it's like not to win trophies don't count then? My dad went to his first game in 1962, followed them all over the country and in Europe through the 60's, 70's and 80's... We went a good few years without winning anything if I remember rightly?! He didn't stop following them? I was brought up as a United fan, didn't win anything the first 3 or 4 years that I followed them, and we've had seasons since then where we haven't won anything. Yes we're successful, but that's not why I'm a fan. So, nice rant, shame it came out of your :obscene-buttsmiley: ! Happy Easter.
Last edited by Matt1985 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt1985

Postby Matt1985 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:33 pm

rockgeek wrote:Aren't they in tens/hundreds of millions of pounds in debt?

Indeed, hundreds of millions. As are Liverpool. As essentially are Chelsea with Abramovich's £500 million 'loan'. As are Arsenal after building the Emirates. As are Real Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia in Spain. Etc, etc, etc... Get the point?

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:51 pm

Can you not keep it to one post? I read that Man U have the largest unsupported debt in the league. Ok, Man U have the largest debt in the league... that better?

You haven't heard the jibe about Man U fans not being from Manchester before? Oh right, irony...
And every other big Premiership club doesn't do this?! I won't argue that United go after young players if they think they have potential, of course they do, but every other big club who is able to does also, not just in the Premiership but all across Europe. But of course only United are in the wrong for it?!
Not to the extent Man U do. Other managers say this and Fergie is such a hypocrite it's amazing.

If the Glaziers went away, Man U would be in an awful position, moreso than other clubs with the possible exclusion of Chelsea. We're discussing Man U here, not other clubs. Rant?

========

If you ask these critics that write in all papers, from tabloid to broadsheet, they'll agree Man U are a powerful business/club, possibly too powerful. If the FA had some balls, or FIFA, they would regulate buying of kids and cap wages (I believe they're in the process). The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. It's hurting football as we know it. Everton are a classic example of a good footballing side (and this coming from a Liverpool fan). They're in the black, they don't resemble a business and doing ok in the league. Now imagine if they spent a tenth of what the Mancs have spent each season in the Premiership.... I think my hate is more aimed at Fergie rather than the business of MUFC.

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Matt1985 wrote:
billytheweed wrote:the glazers are in it for the glory are they? eeerrrrrr no that would be money

As are all the foreign owners in the Premiership, perhaps with the exception of Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour at City... And not much fans can do about the owners is there..?

billytheweed wrote:united are ruining football. and that's why no one likes them except a small minority of deluded glory seekers...

Firstly, no. I notice you failed to address the Chelsea/City hugely wealthy owner issue? By consensus among most critics who actually know the game, owners such as Abramovich and Mansour are the biggest threat to the game. Those who throw huge money at clubs and can potentially just walk away. Look at the wages Chelsea and City pay. If Abramovich and Mansour get bored and walk away, what happens to the clubs? The difference with United is because of the profits they make, they can afford to pay the wages they do, and but the players they do. I find it laughable that you can dig at United for making profits that enable them to pay out what they do, yet not comment on the dangerous and practically irresponsible wage structures / transfer policies of the two other clubs I've mentioned??!

And secondly, lifelong fans who know what it's like not to win trophies don't count then? My dad went to his first game in 1962, followed them all over the country and in Europe through the 60's, 70's and 80's... We went a good few years without winning anything if I remember rightly?! He didn't stop following them? I was brought up as a United fan, didn't win anything the first 3 or 4 years that I followed them, and we've had seasons since then where we haven't won anything. Yes we're successful, but that's not why I'm a fan. So, nice rant, shame it came out of your :obscene-buttsmiley: ! Happy Easter.

now you see if you took an interest in issues in manchester then you would know that the sheik has promised over 200 million to manchester city council to complete the tram link from the city centre as well as redevelopment around eastlands ..... long term commitment springs to mind ...
chelsea i agree with you abramovich has it has his play thing just like all football club owners dave whelan, jack walker but you don't have a go at them, if i had 100 million i'd buy my football club and waste 10s of million on it who wouldn't .

if you want to talk about supporting a club i have been a season ticket holder since i was 5 , when we were in the top flight i was at the famous orient game when we nearly went out the leauge and have just spent £600 renewing my season tickets for next year no matter what happens at the end of the season . my father is also a season ticket holder and has been since his first season in 1946 !!! and we have won nothing for years.

your original point/rant came over as someone who had jumped on the band wagon in the last 5 - 10 years. its hard to tell these days . if you are a life long fan then i apologise how it came across i didn't mean to be rude its just i meet loads of utd "fans" who don't even know how to get to old trafford . i past two last week on regent road salford when i stopped at the lights they asked me how to get to old trafford .. they had tickets to the champions leauge quarter final ......... regulars fans they weren't that's what your up against.

my neighbour has a box at utd and he says that 30% of a match day crowd are tourist ............... i rest my case .

oh by the way its only a game ..................... hope to play you next season in the league
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

Matt1985

Postby Matt1985 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:15 pm

rockgeek wrote:Can you not keep it to one post? I read that Man U have the largest unsupported debt in the league. Ok, Man U have the largest debt in the league... that better?

You haven't heard the jibe about Man U fans not being from Manchester before? Oh right, irony...
Not to the extent Man U do. Other managers say this and Fergie is such a hypocrite it's amazing.

If the Glaziers went away, Man U would be in an awful position, moreso than other clubs with the possible exclusion of Chelsea. We're discussing Man U here, not other clubs. Rant?

========

If you ask these critics that write in all papers, from tabloid to broadsheet, they'll agree Man U are a powerful business/club, possibly too powerful. If the FA had some balls, or FIFA, they would regulate buying of kids and cap wages (I believe they're in the process). The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. It's hurting football as we know it. Everton are a classic example of a good footballing side (and this coming from a Liverpool fan). They're in the black, they don't resemble a business and doing ok in the league. Now imagine if they spent a tenth of what the Mancs have spent each season in the Premiership.... I think my hate is more aimed at Fergie rather than the business of MUFC.

1. 'Not to the extent United do?' Ok, I'll just take your word for it! :roll:
2. Yes, United would be in a bad position if the Glazer's left, because yes, United do have a huge debt (which was initially taken up by the Glazer's and then shifted onto the club.) But a worse position than other clubs? No, because United make money. Lots of it. United will always be attractive to investors. Yes, the debt is bad, but if a potential purchaser is prepared to overlook the debt of any club, it will be United, because we earn so much more than anybody else, and continue to grow in that area.
3. We are talking about United, yes. I apologise for bringing up other clubs as comparisons to attempt to introduce some kind of objectivity into the discussion. Next time, I'll ignore the fact that there are so many offending clubs out there in relation to this topic, and just accept your unsupported, subjective offensive on Manchester United. :roll:
4. I agree with you on Everton when it comes to success on the field in relation to resources. I think Moyes has done a fantastic job there and will, or definitely should be, in the running for the United job when Sir retires. But they are so removed from resembling a viable business that Bill Kenwright is continually touting them around to anybody prepared to listen, yet still no one wants to buy them. Some might see that as a good thing, but Kenwright seemingly can't afford to back them in challenging for top four/five every year. As much as you might hate the 'business' side of things, it's vital. For every club. Not just United.
5. Liverpool fans seem to really hate Sir Alex so he must be doing something right. Whereas I, and most other United fans I know, are completely apathetic towards Benitez. He just doesn't really matter. And if you go out on Tuesday and don't win the League, you'll all be screaming for his head again.

Matt1985

Postby Matt1985 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:29 pm

billytheweed wrote:
now you see if you took an interest in issues in manchester then you would know that the sheik has promised over 200 million to manchester city council to complete the tram link from the city centre as well as redevelopment around eastlands ..... long term commitment springs to mind ...
chelsea i agree with you abramovich has it has his play thing just like all football club owners dave whelan, jack walker but you don't have a go at them, if i had 100 million i'd buy my football club and waste 10s of million on it who wouldn't .

if you want to talk about supporting a club i have been a season ticket holder since i was 5 , when we were in the top flight i was at the famous orient game when we nearly went out the leauge and have just spent £600 renewing my season tickets for next year no matter what happens at the end of the season . my father is also a season ticket holder and has been since his first season in 1946 !!! and we have won nothing for years.

your original point/rant came over as someone who had jumped on the band wagon in the last 5 - 10 years. its hard to tell these days . if you are a life long fan then i apologise how it came across i didn't mean to be rude its just i meet loads of utd "fans" who don't even know how to get to old trafford . i past two last week on regent road salford when i stopped at the lights they asked me how to get to old trafford .. they had tickets to the champions leauge quarter final ......... regulars fans they weren't that's what your up against.

my neighbour has a box at utd and he says that 30% of a match day crowd are tourist ............... i rest my case .

oh by the way its only a game ..................... hope to play you next season in the league

I think the whole 'glory hunter' tag is an assumption that many fans of other clubs make about United fans. I am not, and never will be, a glory hunter. Born, brought up and will die as a United fan.
I had heard of the Sheikh pledging that money, but it's not a completely selfless act is it? He and the club benefit, and anyway, £200 million is a drop in the ocean to him - so I wouldn't say definitely indicative of long term commitment. And no I didn't mention other owners such as Dave Whelan, Steve Gibson or even Bill Kenwright in the same vein as Abramovich or Mansour because if any of those owners decide they want to leave, they don't leave behind clubs with astronomically highly paid players, no wage structures, and inability to earn sufficient profits to cover said wages and other outgoings. Chelsea and City to me are different.

I agree with the statement about a certain amount of United fans on matchdays being 'tourists' as you call them. That's what comes with being so hugely and widely followed around the world, and also in relation to some of those fans, what comes from being so successful (your gloryhunters). But they pay like anybody else, and I'm sure spend lots on shirts etc, so essentially they have as much right to be there as anybody else. I wish I had a season ticket at Old Trafford, my dad knows a couple of people who do so we try and get up whenever they have a couple of seats spare. To be honest, even if we could get season tickets (which we can't) they are too expensive, especially when travel and everything else on the day comes into it. Hope to have one one day though.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:40 am

Jesus.... can you not keep to just one succinct post without having to resort to the predictable :roll: icons? The point is that the likes of Man U (you see, we were really only focusing on Man U in this part), Chelsea and Man City are ruining football due to their approaches to the game, and as such, are hated because of it. There wasn't as much hate back in the day when Arsenal or Liverpool won all the trophies. Arsenal and Everton are "proper" footballing clubs. I'd say Liverpool are in between.

You spout almost as much rubbish as Fergie does... obviously not as much due the nature of the ****.

Hope you had a nice Easter :clap:

Hysteria

Postby Hysteria » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 am

This isn't Download forums
This is Sonisphere forums

we don't need flame wars here, even if it is lulzy watching people argue over 22 sweaty guys kicking around a ball.

Matt1985

Postby Matt1985 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:27 pm

rockgeek wrote:Jesus.... can you not keep to just one succinct post without having to resort to the predictable :roll: icons? The point is that the likes of Man U (you see, we were really only focusing on Man U in this part), Chelsea and Man City are ruining football due to their approaches to the game, and as such, are hated because of it. There wasn't as much hate back in the day when Arsenal or Liverpool won all the trophies. Arsenal and Everton are "proper" footballing clubs. I'd say Liverpool are in between.

You spout almost as much rubbish as Fergie does... obviously not as much due the nature of the ****.

Hope you had a nice Easter :clap:

Wrong. Succinct enough? :lol:

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:31 pm

Matt1985 wrote: I wish I had a season ticket at Old Trafford, my dad knows a couple of people who do so we try and get up whenever they have a couple of seats spare. To be honest, even if we could get season tickets (which we can't) they are too expensive, especially when travel and everything else on the day comes into it. Hope to have one one day though.

matt - i get offered utd tickets from time to time, i was offered two for the previous CL tie against inter but turned them down or let my mates know who are in the same boat as you , should i get offered any ( probably be next season now though but you never know) i will keep you in mind . before anyone else asks . NO

i love a good debate about football, not often i get to debate with someone who puts up as good an argument as you do , we may disagree on lots of things but we both love football and a really good match . good luck to your lot in porto . i would like to see two english clubs in the final but i wont say wich two , cos that will just start it all of again.

( chelsea v arsenal final ...........sorry couldn't resist )
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Barcelona in Final.... 4-4 at Chelski now.... I can't see them winning the trophy

Matt1985

Postby Matt1985 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 pm

billytheweed wrote:
Matt1985 wrote: I wish I had a season ticket at Old Trafford, my dad knows a couple of people who do so we try and get up whenever they have a couple of seats spare. To be honest, even if we could get season tickets (which we can't) they are too expensive, especially when travel and everything else on the day comes into it. Hope to have one one day though.

matt - i get offered utd tickets from time to time, i was offered two for the previous CL tie against inter but turned them down or let my mates know who are in the same boat as you , should i get offered any ( probably be next season now though but you never know) i will keep you in mind . before anyone else asks . NO

i love a good debate about football, not often i get to debate with someone who puts up as good an argument as you do , we may disagree on lots of things but we both love football and a really good match . good luck to your lot in porto . i would like to see two english clubs in the final but i wont say wich two , cos that will just start it all of again.

( chelsea v arsenal final ...........sorry couldn't resist )

To be honest, the way United are playing at the moment, and considering Arsenal are back in real form, even if we manage to beat Porto tonight, I can see Arsenal beating us in the semis. But I can't see Chelsea beating Barcelona being as open at the back as they were last night! Suppose John Terry was missing though. And regardless of the result, what a cracker! Interesting though, I really can't predict who'll be in the final. And cheers about the tickets! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Wed May 27, 2009 11:10 am

shows how much i know ( man u V barca final )

anyway now the mighty clarets have made it back after a 33 year absence i cant wait .........so far this has been an awesome year :music-headbanger:
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:18 pm

sorry about the doube post folks

just seen a report on sky sports news that said man utd interest payments on the debt they carry is £47,000 per hour , that is mind blowing !!!!!!

who would want to own a football club ......not me
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:22 pm

I wouldn't mind. buy a club with money you've borrowed, then use the money the club makes to pay off the debts. sounds like a winner to me.
:animals-cow:

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:38 pm

billytheweed wrote:errr how much did berbatov cost , and carrick and rooney and ....

Carrick cost £16M which is pretty much an average price for a decent player now.
Okay Berbatov and Rooney cost £30M and just under £30M but it would of been stupid to pass on the chance of singing Rooney with the potential he was showing, which was shown in scoring at hat-trick on his champions league debut and his display in Euro 2004.
We shouldn't of spent that much on Berbatov but Spurs inflated their prices massively and this is matched with the price Liverpool payed for Robbie Keane. It's painful to see how much Liverpool lost on him in just 5 months :P

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Tambam wrote:Carrick cost £16M which is pretty much an average price for a decent player now.

I wonder how many english teams have EVER paid £16m for a player.... I'm thinking Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Leeds (Ferdinand), Man City, and probably Tottenham (think Palacios was) and Arsenal (though I can't think of any player in particular)

I'm thinking Alex Fergurson can fuck the fuck off for saying it was a ridiculous decision by the linesman to give an offside on an own goal. He didn't compain when it saved Man U against Leeds a few seasons back (the fact our player wasn't even offside was also a bit of a bastard).
ok, I know he's not the only manager that is one sided in his views, but it's still annoying as hell. I can't believe Man U fans feel refs pick on them, when it's clear they get the rub off the green more often than not from refs.
:animals-cow:

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:31 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:
Tambam wrote:Carrick cost £16M which is pretty much an average price for a decent player now.

I wonder how many english teams have EVER paid £16m for a player.... I'm thinking Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Leeds (Ferdinand), Man City, and probably Tottenham (think Palacios was) and Arsenal (though I can't think of any player in particular)

Newcastle United paid £16M for Owen

Everton come close with £15M for Felliani

JamieIsOnFire

Postby JamieIsOnFire » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:28 am

I'm sure many will agree............

Fulham deserved more than a defeat today and Neville should've gone
NIN 24/25 May
SONISPHERE 2014
Alt Fest 2014
Anathema September 18
Carcass September 19
Dragonforce September 20
Black Stone Cherry October 31

MetalNinja

Postby MetalNinja » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Villa threw away the chance to beat Chelsea again. I am not very happy -.-
Still... a draw is pretty good against 'top 4' opposition.
alexcore wrote:Ninjas don't sleep, they just wait.

Return to “Sport”