Rugby World Cup 2011

All things sportified ... football, snail racing, rugby, tennis .. hmmm short skirts :)
GearsCT

Rugby World Cup 2011

Postby GearsCT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm disgusted at the lack of thread for this.

Who do you think is most likely to win this year then?
    >>The obvious answer is of course New Zealand, they're number 1 in the world and are on fire in any other competition/game, but they could well bottle it like they've done the last 3 competitions.
    >>Ireland who are still the number 1 ranked team in the northern hemisphere are having a terrible pre-World Cup, losing to Scotland and were decimated by France in the first half.
    >>France are looking very strong and could well be a surprise this year.
    >>England are looking steady, but they will not win another world cup if they play the same as in Cardiff.
    >>Wales, are an odd one, having played poorly in both games against England, but playing well against Argentina.
    >>Scotland have won both their pre-World Cup matches, although one is against a stuttering Irish side, and one against what looks to be an ever improving Italian side, will get into the Quarter Finals and could well hit the Semis but won't get any further.
    >>South Africa are not the team they were 4 years ago, and christ knows what's happening with Australia at the moment.

My picks would have to be either New Zealand or France.
mark2807 wrote:I frakking love you Callum. 8-)

Jasonisback wrote:Callum, You sir are a legend!!!!

jamblob wrote:oh, calum, u so mehtulz \mm/

gencdo wrote:CALLUM I LOVE YOU. Can I be in your sig now?

Black Wizard

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm surprised you think that Scotland will get into the quarter-finals when their group has England and Argentina. :shock:

I'm thinking of taking a punt each-way on France.

GearsCT

Postby GearsCT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I'm surprised you think that Scotland will get into the quarter-finals when their group has England and Argentina. :shock:

I'm thinking of taking a punt each-way on France.

Scotland have always seemed to beat Argentina one way or another. England, they're dodgy atm, but will probably get going once the competition starts. Scotland will get into the quarters. ;)

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:12 pm

I hope you're right. They've never failed to get there and should have made the final in 1991. They also should have beaten Argentina in the 2007 quarters but started too slowly and left themselves too much to do, then managed to win a tour in Argentina a couple of years ago.

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:33 pm

The second England V Wales match, the Welsh defense was immense and despite the English domination Wales showed an extremely efficient display which will be much needed at the world cup (taking the chance when it comes). I still have no idea how Shane Williams stopped Banahan 10 metres out :lol:

My bet is on New Zealand if they don't bottle it or France if they do. South Africa are relying too much on their older players and I wouldn't be suprised to see them knocked out in the quarter finals.

Teams I expect to play well: NZ, France, Wales, Scotland
Teams I expect to flump: Ireland, South Africa, Argentina, England

Although I'm extremely worried about Group D as Wales have SA, Fiji AND Samoa, a very physical group :/

GearsCT

Postby GearsCT » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:09 am

It's because Banahan is a terrible winger, he has a lot of strength and power, but he can't use it, just tries to barge through players, cannot understand how he's in the team ahead of Charlie Sharples or James Simpson-Daniels.

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:23 am

It's been ages since i looked at the tables but i'm sure i worked out that England maybe in a chance to get to the Semi-Finals and maybe the Finals if they are playing any good, but of course they'll loose to New Zealand in the final if they get there
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:37 am

But he should be able to barge through Shane to be honest :P
I've always wondered why James Simpson-Daniel has never got into the national team, same with Tom Varndell.

GearsCT

Postby GearsCT » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:28 pm

Tambam wrote:But he should be able to barge through Shane to be honest :P
I've always wondered why James Simpson-Daniel has never got into the national team, same with Tom Varndell.

Tom Varndell can't tackle. It's his main problem. Fair enough he can run fast, but his defence is weak. Also Shane Williams is short and tackling the legs is the easiest way to get a man down.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:04 pm

It's New Zealands to lose.

but then we've said that at every world cup I think.....
:animals-cow:

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:11 pm

They've never won it outside NZ I think. Every four years they are favourites but bottle it. I hope they do this time.

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:52 pm

GearsCT wrote:
Tambam wrote:But he should be able to barge through Shane to be honest :P

Tom Varndell can't tackle. It's his main problem. Fair enough he can run fast, but his defence is weak. Also Shane Williams is short and tackling the legs is the easiest way to get a man down.

I'm sure he went high on Banahan though....

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:31 am

France vs. Canada has been the best match I've watched so far. The less said about Scotland's victories the better.

Anyone else been following the World Cup?

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Yerp, we should've made a Soni fantasy league like the premier league one but ah well. So far it's working out to be an interesting tournament, it should be a northern hemisphere V southern hemisphere final if current form continues. I was tipping France for the final before the start but they look two different teams over the whole 80 mins but it's looking like New Zealand are going to walk it right now.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Every four years people say that New Zealand will walk it but then they screw up. Ireland's win against Australia has possibly changed the course of the tournament in terms of the quarter-finals.

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:09 pm

England need to stop passing on gooseberry and trying to look flash, in the last quarter alone they lost the ball 6 or 7 times because they were being cocky and flicking the ball out the back of their hands without looking. That really bugs me.
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:44 am

Black Wizard wrote:Every four years people say that New Zealand will walk it but then they screw up. Ireland's win against Australia has possibly changed the course of the tournament in terms of the quarter-finals.

Before the tournament yeah but now it has begun no one is playing consistently enough yet apart from NZ. Australia didn't show up against Ireland, France are nearly there and South Africa played alot better against Fiji but were dominated at the break down against Wales.
Ireland, France, Wales and England will all be very confident of reaching the final if they qualify as expected as each country can beat each other and it will all come down to how they perform on the day.

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 am

Well the world cup is wide open now Dan Carter is out, Colin Slade just doesn't look up to the job and NZ are probably safer with playing PIri Weepu at 10. The Springboks losing Frans Steyn is also a massive blow, he's been amazing for them so far but luckily de Villiers is fit now. With Habana and Pietersen having knocks and a high number of Australia's backline being injured I wont be suprised to see a northen hemisphere team go on to win the competition. If France manage to turn around their woeful form then I can see any of the northen hemisphere teams that havn't won it before going on to do so.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:21 am

The road is open for Wales then?

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:33 am

For them and Ireland, very much so.
This is an interesting read http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bendirs/2011 ... aking.html
I'm shocked to see an Englishman being anything other then biased towards England :P
The last sentance sums it up nicely;
It is a shame either Wales or Ireland will be heading home next weekend, because if rugby wants to extend its global appeal and attract new supporters, the sport needs sides like these

Both teams are playing rugby as it should be played, unlike a certain team normally does ;)

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:53 pm

I love being Welsh :lol:

Return to “Sport”