Game of Thrones

Ummm yeah Film and TV chat here please people :)
Sameh

Game of Thrones

Postby Sameh » Mon May 09, 2011 11:17 am

Is anyone watching this? It's four episodes in and it's already one of my favourite TV shows in the past few years. For fans of A Song of Ice and Fire (it's based on this) and The Lord of the Rings as well as people who enjoy the Elder Scrolls games.

Tomfiend4.0

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Tomfiend4.0 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:20 am

That sounds pretty good! Might look into this, if it's on freeview.

And Sean Bean is awesome.

Sameh

Postby Sameh » Mon May 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Not sure if it's on Freeview. Pretty sure it airs on that new Sky Channel in the UK. Sky Atlantic.

I just torrent it. Watch it in glorious 720p.

Monstar111

Postby Monstar111 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 pm

This is such a Brilliant Series. Would recommend it to anyone! Each Episode so enticing its horrible waiting for the next one!

*Bump* Anyone watching this?
What did people think of Episode 8?

AnobizII

Postby AnobizII » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm LOVING this, its making me want to read the books...

I'm hating the fact that it ends on a cliffhanger every episode though and you gotta wait a week before getting another fix...

HarvesterofSorrow

Postby HarvesterofSorrow » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Very good show. I am on episode 5 right now and loving it.
2011 - 05 May Iron Maiden (Frankfurt, Germany), 18 June Roger Waters The Wall Live (Duesseldorf, Germany), 2 July - Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax (Gelsenkirchen, Germany), 8-9 July Sonisphere France (Amneville)

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:15 pm

I read the books a few years ago. The next one comes out just after Sonisphere and I've been waiting ages for it. The tv adaptation is very good. Some of the characters are just as I imagined them and the plot hasn't been mangled as has happened in adaptations of other books.

Monstar111

Postby Monstar111 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Woop well I best hope my brother finishes with the first one so I can start reading it XD :D

owl79

Postby owl79 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:24 pm

The networks have picked it up for a second season :D

SONI 10',
SONI 11',
INCUBUS NOV 11',
DL 12',
FOB 14'
SONI 14'

AnobizII

Postby AnobizII » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 pm

It was pretty much picked up after the 1st episode lol...

I love it... couldn't believe what happened last episode...

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:41 am

I could, but then I've read the book about five times.

HappyNoodleBoy

Postby HappyNoodleBoy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Brilliant series! On the one hand, I feel like I really should read the books now, on the other, OMG moments like the end of 'Baelor' would lose some of their impact. Love it! I only started watching it this Saturday, and was hooked enough to run through the whole season to date!!!

Monstar111

Postby Monstar111 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Oh man the end of Episode 9. :O Crazy stuff.. both me and my brother were like "what the hell? did that really just happen?" - He, my brother, even went online to scan the plot of episode 10.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:07 pm

HappyNoodleBoy wrote: on the other, OMG moments like the end of 'Baelor' would lose some of their impact.

Trust me, the TV series doesn't have half the impact that the books do.

Another example is the Bourne Trilogy. Those three films are three of my favourite ever but I've been reading the books recently and they tell so much more than the films do.

Monstar111

Postby Monstar111 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:16 pm

What did people think of episode 10 then? Lots of people saying they didn't like it... Im different though and did! :D

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:35 am

I don't think it worked well. Too many parts were changed from the book.

Jon didn't take the sword Longclaw with him when he tried to flee from the Night's Watch, and that slapstick moment when one of those following him hit a branch never happened.

Part of what the healer said to Daenerys when she asked "When will he be back as he was before?" was missed out, quite an important part too.

Lady Catelyn never went to speak to Jaime Lannister in the first book of the series and that nonsense with Robb attacking a tree wasn't there. They were also supposed to be at Riverrun, the home of Lady Catelyn's father when all that "King in the North" stuff was happening. Also, Ser Rodrick shouldn't have been there. He actually returned to Winterfell as Castellan and Catelyn's Uncle Bryden accompanied her from the Vale, but I can't even remember him being in the show at all.

There was also the part with Cersei and Lancel, King Robert's former squire. That shouldn't have been there.

The show was doing so well at sticking to the book until then. :roll:

owl79

Postby owl79 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:45 am

We thought it was good but then again me and the OH haven't read the books yet ( it's on our xmas list for each other)... so as someone who hasn't read the book the series came off well of course that will change once the books have been read then again the majority of books are always better then the actual visual versions.

SONI 10',
SONI 11',
INCUBUS NOV 11',
DL 12',
FOB 14'
SONI 14'

HarvesterofSorrow

Postby HarvesterofSorrow » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:17 pm

I enjoyed the last episode. I believe it left enough open to keep you wanting the next the season.

Just like all movies and shows that follow books, it is not going to be the same.
2011 - 05 May Iron Maiden (Frankfurt, Germany), 18 June Roger Waters The Wall Live (Duesseldorf, Germany), 2 July - Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax (Gelsenkirchen, Germany), 8-9 July Sonisphere France (Amneville)

Grables

Postby Grables » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Mind. Blown.

I'm watching it through again already because it was so good. The first time round I wasn't as hooked into the plot because I didn't realize it was one of those things where you really need to pay attention. So many names, places, messed up family trees and references to things that happened in the past got me confused. It took me about 6 episodes to realize that Deanerys and Viserys were the kids of the "mad king" :doh:

It didn't help that there was a week between each episode, It kinda led me to forget things.

This thing was a life saver. I read through it and managed to piece it all together before the last few episodes aired.

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-th ... de/houses/

Monstar111

Postby Monstar111 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Anyone Read/Reading the books?

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:52 pm

I started reading them five or six years ago and I have no read the first four multiple times. :D Last July I got the latest one, A Dance With Dragons on the day of release, which was the day after I got home from Sonisphere.

Monstar111

Postby Monstar111 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:14 am

I have been reading them for couple weeks now. On the 3rd book and Im just shocked how everything happens so quickly XD Love it! best series I've read fo sho!

Grables

Postby Grables » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Read the first book some time last year after the season aired. Just finished reading Clash of Kings (holy frakk can this get any more epic?), getting a little too excited for season 2. I think after that I'm gonna press on with a Storm of Swords.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:29 pm

It's back on tomorrow night folks! (I already know what happens of course.)

Grables

Postby Grables » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:32 pm

It was awesome. It should have started with the opening scene in Dragonstone, like it does in the book, but that obviously came later. Some of the bits seem to be in the wrong order, and some scenes shouldn't have come until quite a lot later - e.g. the bit at Crasters keep in the Jon story line wasn't until about a quarter of the way into the book, but w/e, I enjoyed it. Must be really difficult to adapt a novel into a series and by the looks of things they're doing an even better job than the 1st season. Can't explain why, but it just seems like this show has got even better production wise.

Also going into it with a different mindset this time, having read the book before hand, knowing whats going to happen. Where as the first season is what got me to start reading the books.

Return to “Film and Television”