Hey Sonisphere...What'cha Playing?

For all your XBOX, Wii, PS, console chat :)
CherryInHove

Re: Hey Sonisphere...What'cha Playing?

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:52 am

We're pretty well linked gamingwise.

I just finished Dead Space 3 about 2 days ago. I hate it to start with but when I got into the weapon customisation and realised I couldn't just use a box cutter for the entire game like previous ones it was much better. I liked it but I think I preferred Dead Space 2.

Just before I played DS3, I'd just finished Mass Effect 2 which was really good fun.

I'm playing a lot of Rocksmith 2014, getting pretty good at the Iron Maiden songs so I expect them to invite me up on stage at Sonisphere to play The Trooper.

Next game now that DS3 is finished is either going to be Mass Effect 3, Skyrim or Bioshock Infinity. Undecided yet. I guess whichever I happen to find for cheap.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:16 am

Out of those I can recommend Skyrim and Bioshock Infinity.

If you have played Morrowind or Oblivion and enjoyed those then Skyrim is more of the same stuff except its in a more enjoyable enviroment, and they finally got around to changing the types of enemies you face. Unfortunately if you are a mega completionist and have to finish every single guild, then like the originals you will hit the level cap and the same enemies over and over can stagnate, but at least this one feels a lot fresher. If you can pick them up the expansions are worth a punt on it as they add in some nice new features that really do make the game more interesting.
If you pick it up on PC then the one thing I would recommend is getting the no weight reagents mod other wise it becomes a chore returning to your house every 15 minutes after you kill another dragon.

As for Bioshock Infinite is a cracking story and as always they show a lot of skill in spinning a good tale, that alone makes the game worth playing. That said the combat in this one suffers as imo the vigors are all way to similar, the Gear is a lesser version of tonics from the originals, the weapons feel dull and miss the upgrades..and most important...NO RESEARCH CAMERA!!! which was a feature I enjoyed in 1 and 2. The other major draw back was that as nice and glitzy as Columbia was it just felt to american, which it was meant to, for me to enjoy and I found the dark seedy underbelly of Rapture with its Little Sisters to give far more appeal to the game.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:21 am

Unfortunately I'd be playing on Xbox as my home computer doesn't have Windows which limits the gaming options.

With regards to being a completionist... I used to be, I think I got about 160 hours in Oblivion and did pretty much everthing, however now with two young children, I get maybe 5 hours a week to play games which means if I want to try to get everything in a game like Skyrim then it is going to take me about a year to complete.

I'll probably pick up the Skyrim Legendary edition as that has all the DLC included I believe.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Just started re-playing Dishonored...again. I got a bit addicted to it and finished it 5 or 6 times last year. Been a while since I played it so I've started again. Love it.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:53 pm

They removed the level cap in Skyrim. You can make a skill legendary once it hits 100 (gives you back the perks in that tree and resets the skill to 0) and you can do that as much as you like with each skill, as you level that skill back up you gain progress to levelling up. So the 81 level cap is long gone.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 pm

This weekend I am very please to say I have been playing on The Elder Scrolls Online beta, a friend got a key so I played it yesterday and he is having a blitz today. It certainly plays and feels very much like an elder scrolls game and the graphics are much nicer than most other MMO's with a slower more paced feel to the combat mechanics that pretty much mirrors any other ES game.

Didn't get a chance to level to high and as such didn't do any group content but the game certainly looks nice, retains the ES feel, has indepth crafting and has the deep narrative that you come to expect from an elder scrolls game. Also John Cleese and Michael Gambon do good voice overs!
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

Hemlawk

Postby Hemlawk » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:18 am

Rocksmith 2014 (learning) and BF4 on PC.
Hemlawk aka Eddie.

:flags-usa: :romance-grouphug: :flags-wavegreatbritain:

frakking Steve...

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 am

I'm tempted to buy a nextbox come pay day.

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Fri May 23, 2014 8:51 am

Since last posting, I've completed Mass Effect 3 (which was very good) and have been playing a lot of Dark Souls which I think I'm pretty close to completing. It's one of the first games I've played in ages where I'm tempted to start a new game straight after I complete it.

I've got Saints Row 3 and Bioshock Infinite ready to play as well.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri May 23, 2014 10:04 am

I still need to start Dark Souls, but if its as good as Demon Souls then I am sure I will love it.

I have recently played 3D Dot Game Heroes on PS3 which is great fun if you fancy a nostalgia blast, Also finished the DLC addons for Bioshock Infinite which are good but I am not sure they where necessary.

At current am playinf Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls and Legend of Zelda; Twilight Princess, not to keen on the Wii controls for TP but apparently they made them a lot smoother in Skyward Sword which I will play next

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Fri May 23, 2014 10:14 am

I thought the controls in Skyward Sword worked really well and the game was good. My big complaint to it was how "casual friendly" they'd made it.

I'm not saying that i wanted it to be really tough, but it seemed that every time you got to a puzzle, it gave you a hint as to what you should do which basically told you how to complete the puzzle, which took away any satisfaction of working out the puzzle yourself.

zebby

Postby zebby » Fri May 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Late in the day, but just picked up Dishonoured, goty edition. Any thoughts?
A kid once said to me “Do you get hangovers?” I said, “To get hangovers you have to stop drinking.

Lemmy

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Fri May 23, 2014 12:49 pm

zebby wrote:Late in the day, but just picked up Dishonoured, goty edition. Any thoughts?

I liked Dishonoured a lot. Really enjoy those games that plonk you in a map with a load of tunnels and vents and let you work out your own approach. I did think it was a bit short, though, and kind of easy. If you like it, I'd recommend Deus Ex: Human Revolution as a game with a similar approach and about equal in quality.

I'm playing Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, which I picked up in a Steam sale and didn't expect to enjoy at all. But It's great fun. Completely, totally braindead, consisting of nothing but "explodey bang robot whee! bright colours" set pieces, but that's about the level in which I like to engage with things. I did try playign Metro: Last Light recently, but it was all about atmosphere and story and things and I didn't like it at all.

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Fri May 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Dishonored was great. I played it through doing a playthrough where you don't get seen at all which made it interesting. I liked it and I think the constant reloading when getting spotted extended the gameplay a fair bit.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri May 23, 2014 2:58 pm

ThornDavis wrote:
zebby wrote:Late in the day, but just picked up Dishonoured, goty edition. Any thoughts?

I liked Dishonoured a lot. Really enjoy those games that plonk you in a map with a load of tunnels and vents and let you work out your own approach. I did think it was a bit short, though, and kind of easy. If you like it, I'd recommend Deus Ex: Human Revolution as a game with a similar approach and about equal in quality.

I'm playing Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, which I picked up in a Steam sale and didn't expect to enjoy at all. But It's great fun. Completely, totally braindead, consisting of nothing but "explodey bang robot whee! bright colours" set pieces, but that's about the level in which I like to engage with things. I did try playign Metro: Last Light recently, but it was all about atmosphere and story and things and I didn't like it at all.

Not played Dishonoured yet but it is my Steam account waiting, Dues Ex: HR is a stonker of a game however. I got it for free on the PSN one month and loved every minute of it. Worth looking at the directors cut edition as I can't see how people could not enjoy it.

CherryInHove wrote:I thought the controls in Skyward Sword worked really well and the game was good. My big complaint to it was how "casual friendly" they'd made it.

I'm not saying that i wanted it to be really tough, but it seemed that every time you got to a puzzle, it gave you a hint as to what you should do which basically told you how to complete the puzzle, which took away any satisfaction of working out the puzzle yourself.

That does annoy the gooseberry out of me, i find the worst games for it are the action run and jump ones where the camera follows the path you need to take instead of letting you navigate the lie of the land and find your own way around. Games like God of War and Prince of Persia are notorious for it.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue May 27, 2014 8:54 am

So this weekend Steam had a nice deal Dawn of War I & II with all the expacs and the 40k Space Marine 3rd person shooter style game...... damn you steam for making it so easy for me to spend money

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue May 27, 2014 9:41 am

I bought Game Dev Story (or something like that) on Steam for the princely sum of £3.49 over the weekend. This is exactly the sort of game that wil take up inordinate hours of my life and stop me going to bed at a sensible time. So far, enjoying it a lot, runs well on Linux and seems really well put together.

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am

It's been years since I 'did' PC gaming, but a bought a new rig back in October. The other day I found myself browsing sites with the aim of upgrading from the six-core 6300 to the eight core 8350. FFS. This continuous push for new parts is what made me switch to console gaming in the first place, and the only reason I was considering it was so that I could max out the settings on Watch_Dogs, a game that I don't even want to play. I feel like there must be something wrong with my brain.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed May 28, 2014 11:43 am

I think these forums safely prove there is a lot wrong with your brain... but in a good way I suppose

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:31 am

ThornDavis wrote:It's been years since I 'did' PC gaming, but a bought a new rig back in October. The other day I found myself browsing sites with the aim of upgrading from the six-core 6300 to the eight core 8350. FFS.

I was like this for years. Constantly pushing for better bits to push benchmark scores that little bit higher. But then I spent 2k on building a fresh rig back in 2009 and it's still got all the same bits in it. It's still great at everything I do with it too (Battlefield 4 and World of Warcraft). I don't even know if/when I'll ever upgrade or change any bits. I'm through with that now.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 am

I gave up on PC gaming when I moved away from Windows, however now with the valve revolution bringing more and more games to Linux, I'm getting a bit more into PC gaming and as such can see that I'll start spending considerable amounts on upgrading it. At the moment though, I quite like doing my gaming lounging on the sofa so Xbox works out well.

Started Bioshock Infinity last week, that seems like a lot of fun. Still got to beat the stupid last boss in Dark Souls who everyone claims is easy, but as he's about a 5 minute walk from the last save point, I find myself doing that walk, getting to the boss, dying in two shots, repeat for about 5 attempts until I'm utterly bored.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:32 am

I went through a phase with my PS3 of playing mostly console games but have started reverting back to the PC now, the biggest factor for myself is that the price for console games seem to be spiraling out of control in the most ridiculous way possible.

Hopefully I should be due back pay soon and will be investing that into a new rig.

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:34 am

A good way to cut down the cost of console gaming is to have children. That way you're so far behind on games that you can pick up AAA titles for about £6.

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:35 am

(There may be other expenses in having children that slightly offset this £30 saving).

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:05 am

But you can hire out the children for menial labour and possibly offset those costs again?

Return to “Gaming”