E3 2015

For all your XBOX, Wii, PS, console chat :)
PurpleDemon

E3 2015

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Anyone been watching E3 this year?

Conferences-wise it's been superb, easily the best E3 in a long time. Only EA and the PC Gaming Show dropped the ball really, the rest have been absolutely stellar.

There are a looooot of games on my to-watch/buy list now.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

Rick

Re: E3 2015

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:47 pm

I have been tracking bits and pieces, the only one I have really sat and watched is SQUENIX because I am a bit of a FF fanboy. That presentation has been the highlight for me as Deus Ex, Star Ocean, FF7, Worlds of FF, Kingdom Hearts 3 are all games I am excited about.

I had not played Nier, had skipped my radar but I definately want to check that out now.

Battlefront, Uncharted 4 are looking amazing also, the PC and PS4 are going to get hammered this year
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:09 pm

I think my only dissapointments so far are AC London (i cant recall the actual name). The gameplay on those games has gotten incredibly dull which is annoying since the idea of dickensian london as a setting is one they should have had instead of the crap they released from 3 onwards.

Also I forgot about Doom and Mass Effect: Andromeda.... so many games.... Plus i am curious about Ygritte Robo Dino Hunting Simulator 2015 (Horizon: Zero Dawn). The Last Guardian also looks like is should shape up to be another cult classic.... but they better not pull that Horse gooseberry again
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Was really happy with the Xbox conference. At the start of the month I was pretty confident I'd be getting a PS4 before an X1 but a number of things now have switched that, and the Microsoft conference was the icing on the cake. The backwards compatibility is a big win for me since my 360 was stolen, and games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Rock Band 4 and the Rare Replay collection make getting one before Christmas a real priority if I manage to land a job soon. Ideally, I'll have one in time for THPS5, which looks superb as well.

Recore and Superhot should be great on X1 as well, and I'll probably end up springing for Halo Legends. That Hololens gooseberry is utterly crazy, I'm imagining games like Ghost Recon, Tony Hawk and Rollercoaster Tycoon incorporating it and going insane at the thought. It might not live up to the hype, but if it even gets close then Microsoft have got the VR war won from the start.

Ubisoft, Square and Bethesda were all magnificent third party conferences. Really happy the Tom Clancy games are all looking great, especially the new Ghost Recon which looks utterly incredible. Just Cause 3, Star Wars: Battlefront, Fallout 4, South Park and Hitman are all day one purchases if I can afford them, blown away by all six and some of them don't even have gameplay yet.

Sony was great even though they showed very little exclusive; Uncharted and the Last Guardian look great and even while I don't care for Shenmue or FF7, I'll probably grab Chibi Final Fantasy at some point because :3. Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Elder Scrolls: Legends, Doom, Deus Ex, Unravel and Horizon are all very much on my radar. This is a frakking great year for games all round.

Oh and Nintendo was decent enough too but not really directed at me, they've focused on their existing audience more than perspective investors quite consistently during recent E3s, and this year was no different.

What I really want to hear now is more about Crackdown 3 and Quantum Break at Gamescom. Oh, and a Yugi-Oh game for Hololens would be nice, but I can be patient there.

Really, the only bad thing from E3 has been the Rock Band 4 news. I want to love that game just as much as I've loved every other Rock Band title, and it's honestly amazing to me that I'm actually preferring the new Guitar Hero right now. RB4 is in trouble if they don't refocus what they're doing.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:53 pm

I'm excited for Dishonored 2. I played through the first one repeatedly to get all the endings, and I love it. May be the game that convinces me to get a new console.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:32 am

I must admit I do like the BC announcement for the Xbone and as a gamer its something I do consider to be an important feature, but at the same time I kinda like having my PS2 / PS3 / PS4 all next to each other ready to play. The issue however is when one of them breaks and I can't play the games any more. My other main issue with BC is that I find there is always a trend in which games are made available for BC, its the ones that were the most successful commercially and were made by companies that can afford the ongoing support. But I tend to find that these are not the games you want to go back and play over and over, the games i usually want to replay are the quirky, creative and baffling games who are not associated with big name developers. So its definitely a nice feature, but I would want to see the game list before getting to excited.

The hololens does look an impressive bit of kit, there is no denying that, and the minecraft demo did look pretty darn cool. My biggest issue with the AR & VR headsets is that I don't think the world is ready for them yet and they will end up being just another fad in the world of gaming. Every generation of gaming has its new technology that imo is always underused and never really becomes viable because of the same issues time and time again.

ITS NOT COMFORTABLE OR PRACTICAL TO PLAY WITH GADGETS FOR ANY EXTENDED LENGTH OF TIME.

Going way back to the Megadrive every console generation has brought something new to the table, and every generation expands on the last generations technology in small ways such as increased reactivity. Be it G-con guns, driving wheels, skate boards, dance mats, Cameras, band kits they all suffer from the same issue and don't have enough practical uses to used time and time again. And when you associate the cost of the items against the amount they are used it never adds up. Someone who only ever plays dancing games may buy the Kinect / PSeye and say its well worth the money as they use it everyday. But the majority of gamers won't buy one as they very rarely use it and can't warrant the cost. So developers don't really focus on it for their games as they want to funnel the money to features everyone uses. The cycle just spirals till the device is useable, but not necessary. Given that both the Hololens and the Morpheus are set to be more than the base consoles I just cant see either taking off anytime soon with punters or devs.

I think the competition between Guitar Hero and Rock Band is going to be pretty interesting this generation. The last couple of iterations were basically the exact same game with mildly differing set lists. This time around however they are looking to be completely different games and I think it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

Personally I like that Guitar Hero have looked at reinventing the genre slightly with an improved controller and the addition of GH Live TV. If the TV is done correctly then its a brilliant way to promote new music and to gives the less talented of us who cant cope with hard they ability to keep playing. However I really don't understand why they are taking the backwards step of losing the band setup and going with a single guitar, this genre of games is one of they few that still promotes party play in a room as oppose to online play and I think RB will gain points for retaining that. Tracklist wise I am waiting for RB to release more tracks to see what they come out with because at the moment GH has taken a noticeable shift away from the heavier end of the spectrum. They have added a couple of decent tracks, but depening on the direction RB takes it could split the audience cleanly.

Finally my biggest holdout with the RB / GH things is the graphics... I just cannot stand the new look of GH. The crowd screen just does not do it for me, it doesn't change the fact that you are a group of mates stood in you living room, drinking beer, singing gooseberry kareoke to slayer. I can't understand the idea that its meant to make it feel more epic, make you feel like a rock star. If anything I think it removes a lot of the epicness by removing the customisation options from the previous games. In real life I have a normal 8-5 humdrum job, so that means I have to maintain a certain appearance to fit in at work. So I am not covered in tattoos, I don't have multiple piercings... even long hair and a beard is frowned upon at times. So when I create my avatar I like making the most outrageous OTT metal up your ass looking character I can. I like earning cash to buy new OTT outfits and instruments which make my avatar look even more awesome. Sure its escapism, but that's what gaming is, and I can't help but think that RB keeping with an improved version of the old style visuals is the better choice.

suzukarussell

Postby suzukarussell » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:00 pm

It's been a sort of inevitable question among US,What's the point of E3 these days?
On the other hand, if we deemphasize the importance of E3 even more, it makes less and less sense for anyone to actually go there—let alone spend the amount of money some people do just to attend and demo a couple games.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:11 pm

suzukarussell wrote:It's been a sort of inevitable question among US,What's the point of E3 these days?
On the other hand, if we deemphasize the importance of E3 even more, it makes less and less sense for anyone to actually go there—let alone spend the amount of money some people do just to attend and demo a couple games.

Yeah, I don't have much desire to go to E3 unless I was there as press. I do love E3 because it gives companies a great chance to show off what they're doing, it's exactly the kind of event that gaming needs. But from a personal standpoint, I'd much rather follow E3 from a laptop for free (and I do follow it quite extensively, I'll admit) and then go to Eurogamer Expo - or Gamescom at the very most - to get my own expo fix.

LiamKemar

Postby LiamKemar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:37 pm

E3 Insider, the official provides in-depth and exclusive access to all things E3.
For whatever reason, the conclusion to this year’s E3 found me sitting in a retro-style. This year’s ultra-contagious, utterly debilitating E3 flu didn’t come with sniffles or a fever.

HBW

Postby HBW » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:35 am

I have posted a thread related to 2017 anticipated games. Can I have a review of that game of any game that has launched in this year?

Return to “Gaming”