Who Hates On/Offline Passes???

For all your XBOX, Wii, PS, console chat :)
Fade

Who Hates On/Offline Passes???

Postby Fade » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:46 am

We've got online pass for a lot of games now, a move which I think can only damage this generation of the gaming industry
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... -Everybody
Yes that is a bit vitriolic but now we are getting developers closing off portions of the single player campaign to people that don't buy new, not unnecessary tiny extra levels, but a part of the game that has been advertised almost since the first publicity for the game and that has been claimed is part of the single player story line...
Is it just me?

I'm doing a 180Km Tour Ride for the Prostate Cancer Charity, please click here ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Fade ) for more details!

Ross

Re: Who Hates On/Offline Passes???

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:28 am

I completly understand them doing it for multiplayer games, and back that. The devolpers are losing money because of so many people buying second hand, so they have to make some back somewhere, and it can still come out cheaper for the customer (all be it, closing the gap by a large margin). Didn't realise they were closing bits of single player in games without it though, and that's wrong.
:animals-cow:

Fade

Postby Fade » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:41 am

I have to counter your point on online games, you buy the licence to use the game, you sell the licence to use the game. That includes any online they include. When you buy a game new that pays for your place online (if it includes online), you then sell that on with the game only the rightful owner of the disc can be online legally. If they sold the online seperately, fine, if they sold the Catwoman shiz separate,fine, but they're not...

Imagine the retro scene as it is now, if this carries on the way it is we won't be able to play most of the games we have now properly in 5 let alone 10 years time, as soon as the servers get shut down that part of the game on the disc is lost... (it's still there but will need to be hacked to bring it back... Seems a little backwards...)

The way to keep people from selling games is to make them replayable, the way to make money from online play is DLC, if someone's sold a game they won't buy the mappack and they won't take up the server space online, but if someone that has bought secondhand can't get online without paying 8 quid they are probably gonna think twice about paying even more for a mappack (which by that point may be even more!)...

I'm doing a 180Km Tour Ride for the Prostate Cancer Charity, please click here ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Fade ) for more details!

add

Postby add » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:46 am

sorry for how lat this reply is but this part of the forums pretty much dead so i rarely visit it.

but as a PC gamer mainly we have had to deal with this for ever and i really dont see the problem

Return to “Gaming”