Let Us Discuss What Ye Be Thinking Right Now

For all your Forum Fun and Games :)
lolatheminxx

Re: Let Us Discuss What Ye Be Thinking Right Now

Postby lolatheminxx » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Devoured by meth addicts! Jayzus.
maschera wrote:Image Look. It's minx as a mermaid.

Apparently Camp Moocrab's resident Irish girl / mermaid Image

qotra

Postby qotra » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:48 pm

skinned alive by my existence... edgy

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:35 pm

Penetrated by every member of Limp Bizkit. Oh joy :lol:

houston404

Postby houston404 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:55 pm

lolatheminxx wrote:Devoured by meth addicts! Jayzus.

Breaking Bad + Walking Dead = your life :lol:
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

Xale

Postby Xale » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:23 pm

kipper64 wrote:Penetrated by every member of Limp Bizkit. Oh joy :lol:

I literally can't think of anything worse. Except maybe finding out that there's a film version of being penetrated to death by Limp Bizkit and it's directed by Uwe Boll.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:32 am

it's all about the nookie :P

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:56 am

Xale wrote:

I literally can't think of anything worse.

This is for 'cause of death', right? In which case, the one worse thing I can think of is not dying of the above, and living with the guilt and the shame for fifty or sixty years. Imagine trying to get around Sonisphere this year, where every minute of every day stands and tents and rides were blasting out Take A Look Around, catapaulting you back into a vivid flashback every single time. Re-living it for decades and decades. It would be hell. At least if you died afterwards, you'd never have to revisit it.

Piestar

Postby Piestar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Pirate day finally cured my post festival blues. An excellent day filled with pirate festivities followed by pirate drinking shenanigans is just what I needed

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Did you listen to Alestorm?

Piestar

Postby Piestar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:09 pm

I believe some Alestorm was played, yes indeedy

Xale

Postby Xale » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:31 pm

I've got this far in my life, and have had two jobs, without writing a CV. Writing one now is tedious...

Edit: Just seen that Motorhead are playing Wembley. Anyone remember Sonisphere 2011? Well now you can pay £40 to watch Lemmy stand in silence for five minutes at a time between songs :D

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Pay £40 to see Lemmy bark like a dog through every song.

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:04 am

I kind of think Lemmy is one of the most tragic figures in rock, made more so by the myth surrounding him. Has anyone seen that documentary about Lemmy (the name escapes me). You have a bunch of people saying "Wow, yeah, he's awesome he's Lemmy and he's drunk all the time!" and that's intercut with footage of this lonely, sick old man sitting in a scrappy, windowless apartment in LA with wall to wall Nazi memorabilia who spends most of his time at a featureless bar drinking whisky and pouring money into the slot machine without even looking at it.

Worse is the stuff that involves his son, who seems like a genuine, sincere and kind man who wants nothing more than to have a meaningful relationship with his father. You have footage of this guy going "Wow, Lemmy is my dad, it's so great we really bond, it' wonderful" and Lemmy, sitting next to him says morosely "I suppose you spend time with your family. It's what you do isn't it."

The guy seems completely closed off from the world, like he's cocooned himself in alcohol and substance abuse. Throughout the whole thing, there's only one moment of genuine connection, where he and one of the road crew jokingly talk over each other. It's the only sincere relationship he seems to have. The whole thing is heartbreaking, and made more so by the fact that the purpose of the documentary originally seemed to be to showcase how awesome Lemmy is.

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:22 am

ThornDavis wrote:documentary about Lemmy (the name escapes me).

Oh I know that one. It's all about Lemmy, about Lemmy's life, basically all things Lemmy looking at what drives Lemmy and the relationships Lemmy has and what bands Lemmy has had relationships with.

The name is on the tip of my tongue....

I think it's called "The Face of Spades".

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:55 am

CherryInHove wrote:I think it's called "The Face of Spades".
;)

I think some of us are talking about different films

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:35 am

Ian Watkins is trying to get his sentence reduced because he feels he was treated too harshly by the judge. :?

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 am

Well, you know. You've got to pass the time somehow when you're in prison, I suppose. I seriously doubt he'll be successful, and the whole process keeps people in work. I'm sure none of will feel sad if he bankrupts himself through appeal after appeal.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Ian Watkins is trying to get his sentence reduced because he feels he was treated too harshly by the judge. :?

That Tim Lambisis (or something like that) is trying to do the same. There must be a bookie out there somewhere who will take a bet on which one gets released from prison first, no doubt Walnut will find this bookie :lol:

Black Wizard wrote:Pay £40 to see Lemmy bark like a dog through every song.

Nothing different from the last 40 years then ;)

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Yeah I really don't get the Lemmy as an icon thing. He's a worn down old man with real substance abuse issues and you can see the damage he's done to himself eating away at him.

TBF I don't really see anyone as an icon so maybe that's why I don't get it. I love lots of bands, I would love to meet members of my favourite bands of course, but I am distinctly aware they are human beings and are as flawed as the rest of us.
maschera wrote:Image Look. It's minx as a mermaid.

Apparently Camp Moocrab's resident Irish girl / mermaid Image

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Having survived all that gooseberry whilst his mates died is a biggie. Creating brilliant music for decades. Influencing so many people from Foo Fighters to Metallica... the drinking part in the documentary only made up a small piece of it. Maybe only 5 mins worth.

As Dave Grohl said "frakk Keith Richards, frakk all those dudes who survived the sixties. Flying around in private jets, living up their gunslinger reputation as they frakk supermodels in the most expensive hotel in Paris. It's like: you know what Lemmy is doing? Lemmy is... probably drinking Jack'N'Cokes and writing another record!"

To many people, this personifies the spirit of rock and roll. The drugs and drink abuse is a side product of that for him personally. he doesn't encourage anyone to do it and he doesn't discourage anyone to do it.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:59 pm

rockgeek wrote:Creating brilliant music for decades.

That's certainly subjective.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:03 pm

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:13 pm

Obviously I don't know him personally, and can only really discuss him as a character in a documentary, and - in part - the broader representation of the media (much like any of us), but that quote from Grohl seemed to me to be born from a need to avoid thinking about the fact that someone he admires is more or less completely isolated and depressed.

Believing that Lemmy is somehow 'the spirit of rock'n' roll' or ad icon or legend in some other way is what encourages (or maybe enables ) that wilful blindness, IMO. Grohl's quote, on the surface of it, is a lovely sentiment, as it positions Lemmy as someone completely untouched by the trappings of stardom and somehow more authentic as a result. But that's not really something that comes across in his interactions with his family and the people who care about him; instead he seems utterly withdrawn and almost devoid of any meaningful relationships except with his addictions, something I gather is a common occurence with people who have yet to overcome those addcitions. I don't think he represents someone who avoided the trappings of rock'n'roll excess so much as someone who is completely obliterated by them.

I also didn't get the impression that it was a factor of his mates dying, either - it seemed to go back much further than that, hearing other people talk about him. The suprising thing to me really was his reluctance (or maybe inability) to begin embracing the opportunities for connection offered by his relationship with his son.

That was my take on it, anyhow. Calling him 'the spirit of rock n roll' is a dangerous thread to follow, IMO, simply because in doing so you inevitably glamourise a life style that's very destructive to the self. Grohl's quote seems to paint a picture of someone who's content to be themselves and doesn't feel the need to impress people in order to be happy. But I never got the impression that Lemmy was happy - all I saw was the booze, with maybe a human being still left walled-up behind that.

I've wanked on there quite substantially, so sorry about that.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:41 pm

I disagree with most of that but I do like bacon

houston404

Postby houston404 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm

I respect Lemmy for his never say die spirit in that Motorhead have kept going through thick and thin and he hasn't changed or quit, most bands split or take extended breaks when they lose a member, no longer are the flavour of the month or whatever but he keeps going. That and the guy seems to speak his mind and can be insightful regardless of how crass he puts it across :lol:

Return to “Arcade”